Balance
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Yeah. I'm surprised about some of the comments and articles I've read about how Ed wasn't familiar with the music world around him.

I recall reading an article that he had an interaction with Paul Simon and had never heard "The Sounds of Silence" before. That's odd. Ed was well into the music scene (as a listener/budding performer) when it came out.

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Today @ 12:06 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Yup. EVH just wasn't into Hendrix, and probably not into SRV either. Wasn't his cup of tea. When it came to Texas players, his man was always Billy Gibbons. He might have nicked some chicken pickin technique from Albert Lee, not sure. No SRV. I think also starting the late 70s, EVH was constantly on tour and wasn't hearing a lot of new stuff. I remember an older interview with Sammy when he was in the band, where he was surprised by the fact that Eddie knew none of the new hotshot guitar players of the 80s. I mean he knew Vai, who was a friend, and Satch. And maybe Yngwie. But that's it.
    Not really sure how anybody here can say who and what Eddie was into musically... No one here knew him personally...

Who would of though Ed like Peter Gabriel... I cant see why he wouldn't of liked SRV
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

3. Destructo2 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Yes he knew Yngwie because in one interview Sammy said he played him some to Eddie and I think Eddie said "that guy is fast"

He did like the guy from Bryan Adams.

5. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 03:35 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    He did like the guy from Bryan Adams.
    Keith Scott. Superb player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

7. ziggysmalls, JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Side note:

I do remember once Ed commenting about the Edge, "he sure likes his delay doesn't he?"
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I would love it if Wolfgang would or could reveal what Eddie said about any newer guitarists or bands. I know his last album was Thomas Dolby or Peter Gabriel but I am sure Eddie at least commented to him about Wolfgangs favorite bands. Like what did Eddie think of the Tool show? I am sure he at least listened to some of it before hand or could offer an opinion of what he liked. Same with Tremonti. Wolfgang played for them live and he went to a show. I am sure he checked them out. He may have listened to Smashing Pumpkins after meeting Billy Corgan for that great interview.

I can't imagine that when Wolfgang was excited by some music or a band, Eddie simply said "you know me if its after the So album, I can't comment on it"

Obviously don't want to reveal if his dad said "man I know you like Marc Tremonti but I don't hear it and Jack White? What is with him and using all those effects?"

Just would be cool to hear a bit more insight than what we got from Eddie

Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.19.21 @ 03:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I would love it if Wolfgang would or could reveal what Eddie said about any newer guitarists or bands. I know his last album was Thomas Dolby or Peter Gabriel but I am sure Eddie at least commented to him about Wolfgangs favorite bands. Like what did Eddie think of the Tool show? I am sure he at least listened to some of it before hand or could offer an opinion of what he liked. Same with Tremonti. Wolfgang played for them live and he went to a show. I am sure he checked them out. He may have listened to Smashing Pumpkins after meeting Billy Corgan for that great interview.

I can't imagine that when Wolfgang was excited by some music or a band, Eddie simply said "you know me if its after the So album, I can't comment on it"

Obviously don't want to reveal if his dad said "man I know you like Marc Tremonti but I don't hear it and Jack White? What is with him and using all those effects?"

Just would be cool to hear a bit more insight than what we got from Eddie
    I remember reading somewhere that after the Tool show, Ed specifically was impressed with Justin Chancellor's bass playing.

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that after the Tool show, Ed specifically was impressed with Justin Chancellor's bass playing.
    Eddie seemed to really open up to a lot of rock music and musicians in the mid-90's onwards. I knew he was aware of and been possibly influenced at least in regards to "tone-chasing" with guitarist Geordie from Killing Joke (who Eddie saw with Tool in 2019). I saw Eddie at what was then Nine Inch Nails final show at the Wiltern in 2009 and I believe he saw other shows there around that time including The Strokes and Metallica.

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Atomic Punk
    Last Online

08.14.21 @ 01:08 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsWell-LikedOld GuardPadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Side note:

I do remember once Ed commenting about the Edge, "he sure likes his delay doesn't he?"
    Never understood the people who revere him as a player. All sounds the same to me. Agree it’s a distinct sound but it literally sounds like he’s playing a variation of same thing on every song. Not a virtuoso hate his technique and if he’s influencing anyone, I don’t know who. (Thank God) He’s nothing like Vai, Johnson, Page, Hendrix and of course Ed. You know it’s them 2 seconds into a song but only because of their unique tone, phrasing, technique etc... They DO NOT sound like they are playing literally the same thing with subtle or nuanced changes.

Rick Baeto seems to like him and I’m not a player. So maybe there’s something there beyond my ear or knowledge. What can’t be disputed is my subjective dislike for his playing! HA!
    Destructo

13. YankeeRose Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 03:35 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo2 View Post
    Never understood the people who revere him as a player. All sounds the same to me. Agree itís a distinct sound but it literally sounds like heís playing a variation of same thing on every song. Not a virtuoso hate his technique and if heís influencing anyone, I donít know who. (Thank God) Heís nothing like Vai, Johnson, Page, Hendrix and of course Ed. You know itís them 2 seconds into a song but only because of their unique tone, phrasing, technique etc... They DO NOT sound like they are playing literally the same thing with subtle or nuanced changes.

Rick Baeto seems to like him and Iím not a player. So maybe thereís something there beyond my ear or knowledge. What canít be disputed is my subjective dislike for his playing! HA!
    The Edge is a painter like the rest of emí.

He just has a different technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

15. Zen Halen Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

The thing about The Edge to me is if there was an acoustic guitar and he was playing it, you never would know who it was. Eddie picks up an acoustic and you know within about 15 seconds along with any other great guitarist.

Their personality comes through the strings. Not the effects

17. edwardv Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Never understood the people who revere him as a player. All sounds the same to me. Agree it’s a distinct sound but it literally sounds like he’s playing a variation of same thing on every song. Not a virtuoso hate his technique and if he’s influencing anyone, I don’t know who. (Thank God) He’s nothing like Vai, Johnson, Page, Hendrix and of course Ed. You know it’s them 2 seconds into a song but only because of their unique tone, phrasing, technique etc... They DO NOT sound like they are playing literally the same thing with subtle or nuanced changes.

Rick Baeto seems to like him and I’m not a player. So maybe there’s something there beyond my ear or knowledge. What can’t be disputed is my subjective dislike for his playing! HA!
    The Edge is a composer more than a player in my opinion.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

19. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

The Edge is not a player like others, but man, some great tunes in their catalog...

New Years Day
    Pride (In the Name of Love)
    With or Without You
    Where the Streets Have No Name
    One

That’s just a few...

I know not everyone likes them, but I think he was incredibly creative with his use of rhythm, effects, tone and dynamics.

Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 03:34 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked15,000 VHL Life Points75,000 VHL Life Points

Never understood the people who revere him as a player. All sounds the same to me. Agree itís a distinct sound but it literally sounds like heís playing a variation of same thing on every song. Not a virtuoso hate his technique and if heís influencing anyone, I donít know who. (Thank God) Heís nothing like Vai, Johnson, Page, Hendrix and of course Ed. You know itís them 2 seconds into a song but only because of their unique tone, phrasing, technique etc... They DO NOT sound like they are playing literally the same thing with subtle or nuanced changes.

Rick Baeto seems to like him and Iím not a player. So maybe thereís something there beyond my ear or knowledge. What canít be disputed is my subjective dislike for his playing! HA!

I don't like his style either. The Edge is no guitar god.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

22. track 5 Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.25.21 @ 10:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    The Edge is not a player like others, but man, some great tunes in their catalog...

New Years Day
    Pride (In the Name of Love)
    With or Without You
    Where the Streets Have No Name
    One

Thatís just a few...

I know not everyone likes them, but I think he was incredibly creative with his use of rhythm, effects, tone and dynamics.
    Agree.