Last Online

10.24.21 @ 07:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Man, itís so easy to take your guitar to a qualified tech and get different side fret markers inlaid. Itís not that expensive.

I often marvel at the advice people give...99% of the time just take your guitar to a qualified technician in your town (nearly every city has one and you should know who they are) and talk to them, unless you are hell bent on doing it yourself. I can understand that urge for some people, but Iíve been playing for almost 40 years and I always have my techs fix and customize my guitars.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 05.02.21 at 03:19 PM.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Man, itís so easy to take your guitar to a qualified tech and get different side fret markers inlaid. Itís not that expensive.

I often marvel at the advice people give...99% of the time just take your guitar to a qualified technician in your town (nearly every city has one and you should know who they are) and talk to them, unless you are hell bent on doing it yourself. I can understand that urge for some people, but Iíve been playing for almost 40 years and I always have my techs fix and customize my guitars.
    Because a lot of people aren't like you?

Most of us are very casual players and don't analyze every lick to the 99th degree. That's your thing, and I like reading about it, but no offense dude, you can come across arrogant about it.

I know that isn't your intent, but it is how you come across.

I would never take any of my guitars to a tech unless it was actually broken. Being playing in different bands for sixteen years now, and never once taken any of my guitars or basses in for work at a guitar shop.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

3. Casemeister, MF5150 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 02:06 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Just go over them with a black sharpie marker. It will work, won't modify or change the look of it plus its not permanent anyways as it'll wear off over time not to mention a little rubbing alcohol will take it all off if you ever didn't want it anymore. Just every time they get dull hit it with a black sharpie. Easy peasy bro.....

5. Dave's Dreidel, KS 5150, MF5150 Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

10.20.21 @ 10:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

EVH was the most DIY guitarist ever. It's hardly suprising that his biggest fans would adopt the same approach.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    Ultimate Warrior: 1959-2014.
    Edward Van Halen: 1955-2020.

"There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

7. turnbuckle Liked This Post
    Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

07.24.21 @ 04:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Bro, I do 99% my own work on all my guitars. But, most people don't have a badass Tech like at Danny D's...that dude is always just around the corner....

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default Advice on making side fret marker dots more visible (EVH Wolfgang STD)

Not everyone likes to run to a tech to fix every little thing on a guitar. I certainly donít unless itís something I canít do myself. Most things I can do I see no reason to go to one unless itís something thatís very difficult. I think thatís one of the most fun parts of playing the guitar is fixing it and changing things yourself. Iím glad I donít have to run to a tech for 99% of the things I want to do.

Only thing I would ever really take to one now would be for a refret. Thatís something I definitely would not do on my own.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

And yes if are playing live and in the moment you absolutely can lose your place on the fretboard. Iíve had it happen to me dozens of times. Luckily I just look for a dot and Iím set. Thereís nothing wrong with looking at them or needing them. Iíve been playing for almost 35 years and I still use them.

I would concur with putting some bright stickers on the dots to make them show up.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

11. Dave's Dreidel Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Because a lot of people aren't like you?

Most of us are very casual players and don't analyze every lick to the 99th degree. That's your thing, and I like reading about it, but no offense dude, you can come across arrogant about it.

I know that isn't your intent, but it is how you come across.

I would never take any of my guitars to a tech unless it was actually broken. Being playing in different bands for sixteen years now, and never once taken any of my guitars or basses in for work at a guitar shop.
    I canít understand how anybody could get that from anything I say. But I do know that people have a huge amount of hate for everything I say, so Iím sure you are right.

Iíve lived all over the U.S. in many states and Iíve almost always lived in or near the larger cities in those States and there are always qualified guitar technicians in those cities. But even when I was living in San Marcos, TX, Ashland, OR or Alamogordo, NM, even French Gulch, CA in the mountains near the California-Oregon border, even in San Miguel de Allende in Central Mexico-Iíve never had any difficulty in finding a qualified guitar technician. Iíve been living mostly in Houston since 1986 and the same guy has been repairing, customizing and setting up my instruments since then, but there are still MANY qualified techs here in the Houston area.

Iím just shocked that it seems to be a given that everyone that plays guitar would feel that they need to or should fix everything on their guitar themselves. Iím surprised that almost no one ever suggests taking your guitar to a qualified technician. Iím even more surprised that anyone would look down upon anyone who does take their guitar to a qualified technician. Makes zero sense to me.

That said, as an aside-everyone that has ever worked on my guitars can play circles around me. They are ALL great players...MILES above anywhere Iíll ever get. My friends that are professional, well known players are generally good at simple setups which I do as well, but even those guys take their instruments to qualified techs at some point.

Itís just a fact of life that any guitar player at any level should be able to do simple setups and adjustments, but itís also a fact of life that if you ever take guitar playing seriously, you need to find your local qualified guitar tech and get them to fix your guitars. They will be able to use their experience to make your life better.

I can adjust my intonation on any of my 20 or so instruments. This is a general skill that can be done on most guitars that are in good repair to start with. But I canít and wonít learn to refret any of my guitars. I wonít crown and level frets. I wonít file a new nut. I wonít fill and re-drill any parts of my guitars. I wonít do finish work...I donít paint guitars and I donít want to. I play my guitars and when I need help to fix them, I get them fixed by someone who is qualified to fix them when I get out of my depth. And thereís no shame in that. And itís not that expensive.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 05.04.21 at 06:47 PM.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 03:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

I think the issue was the fact you were ďmarvellingĒ at the advice people gave. As if it wasnít very good and you had the right answer.

I take my guitar to my guy when I have pickups I want swapped out because Iím not that experienced in soldering and Iím not gonna practice on a $775 set of pickups and $175 wiring harness, so I get where youíre coming from. Iím also not proficient at setups. So I typically take my guitars to a guy close by to me. I donít give a shit what anybody else thinks.

Conversely, I donít think DIY advice is somehow worse. At some point, I want to be able to setup my own guitars. Iím sure if I took the time, Iíd get it quickly. Iíve watched enough videos on the subject and I pretty much know the process.

We were just giving the guy DIY options. I think it was fairly obvious he could take his guitar to a tech.

Not that Iíd ever encourage anybody to permanently alter the originality of their guitar over something so minuscule as side dots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MF5150; 05.04.21 at 06:55 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I used the word ďmarvelĒ because it seems so obvious to me to have the first answer be to simply take your guitar to get fixed by someone that knows how to fix guitars.

Guitars are like cars. They wear down when you play them and I take them to people that know what they are doing when I need work done on them.

Iím not going to install stainless steel frets on one of my guitars, Iím going to take it to a qualified tech to do it. To put it even more simply, even though my Dad taught me how to change the oil in his 1976 Toyota Celica, Iíll take my 2014 Nissan Altima to a Jiffy Lube and get the oil changed. I know many macho guys would say Iím a pussy because I donít change my own oil, but fuck them. Itís my car and I can do what I want with it.

It just strikes me as funny that the FIRST advice given on forums and internet groups is do-it-yourself advice and guitar technicians are rarely if ever mentioned as an option when I would give the guitar technician as the first option. Just me I guess...

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 03:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

I used the word “marvel” because it seems so obvious to me to have the first answer be to simply take your guitar to get fixed by someone that knows how to fix guitars.

It just strikes me as funny that the FIRST advice given on forums and internet groups is do-it-yourself advice and guitar technicians are rarely if ever mentioned as an option when I would give the guitar technician as the first option. Just me I guess...
    His guitar doesn't really need fixing. He doesn't have raised or sharp fret ends. He doesn't need a proper setup or a truss rod adjustment. But for something like making side-dots more visible? Yes, that is an easy DIY fix, to me. I would never say, "Just take it to a tech" for something like that unless he wanted to actually replace them and possibly get a setup as well. In which case, he probably wouldn't be asking us for solutions.

And if you just want to pay $100-150 to have a tech replace the side-dots so you can see them, that's fine.

Personally, I think that's an embarrassingly huge waste of money for something so minor.
    Last edited by MF5150; 05.04.21 at 07:52 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.24.21 @ 07:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Other than using a sticker, paint or other temporary marker, the only real option is to drill them out and install new side markers. Itís not difficult but I guess you have to ask yourself if youíre comfortable doing the work. Also, if this is roasted neck with an oil finish, itís different than a harder poly and a lot easier to fubar trimming and finishing the markersówhich normally would be done BEFORE finishing.

Plenty of reference material on the net and I believe he wanted to use glow in the dark markers which this company seems to be the goto for this particular job:

https://luminlay.com/indexen.html

17. ATONESIR Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    His guitar doesn't really need fixing. He doesn't have raised or sharp fret ends. He doesn't need a proper setup or a truss rod adjustment. But for something like making side-dots more visible? Yes, that is an easy DIY fix, to me. I would never say, "Just take it to a tech" for something like that unless he wanted to actually replace them and possibly get a setup as well. In which case, he probably wouldn't be asking us for solutions.

And if you just want to pay $100-150 to have a tech replace the side-dots so you can see them, that's fine.

Personally, I think that's an embarrassingly huge waste of money for something so minor.
    If I really wanted to change the side markers on a neck of mine I would take it to my tech, no question and that would be my first advice. But thatís just me apparently.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

I used the word “marvel” because it seems so obvious to me to have the first answer be to simply take your guitar to get fixed by someone that knows how to fix guitars.

Guitars are like cars. They wear down when you play them and I take them to people that know what they are doing when I need work done on them.

I’m not going to install stainless steel frets on one of my guitars, I’m going to take it to a qualified tech to do it. To put it even more simply, even though my Dad taught me how to change the oil in his 1976 Toyota Celica, I’ll take my 2014 Nissan Altima to a Jiffy Lube and get the oil changed. I know many macho guys would say I’m a pussy because I don’t change my own oil, but fuck them. It’s my car and I can do what I want with it.

Thou doth protest too much.

If you read what I wrote, I specifically said "I know that is not your intent". But, as I am not the only one who says that to you as you acknowledge, maybe it is how you word things.

And no, I don't need another page long response.

As I said, I like reading your take on things, but most people are not like you, you take everything with the guitar to the nth degree. Which is great, AGAIN, I enjoy reading about it.

But in this case, I MARVEL that anyone would take a guitar to a shop just to make the dots easier to see, when a Sharpie or glow in the dark stickers cost like a $1.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

20. MF5150, marcin Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Thou doth protest too much.

If you read what I wrote, I specifically said "I know that is not your intent". But, as I am not the only one who says that to you as you acknowledge, maybe it is how you word things.

And no, I don't need another page long response.

As I said, I like reading your take on things, but most people are not like you, you take everything with the guitar to the nth degree. Which is great, AGAIN, I enjoy reading about it.

But in this case, I MARVEL that anyone would take a guitar to a shop just to make the dots easier to see, when a Sharpie or glow in the dark stickers cost like a $1.
    Right, but the original poster sounds like he likes his guitar and he doesnít want to screw it up.

So, again, my first advice would be to take it to a qualified technician, talk possible strategies and then have that technician execute them. It doesnít cost anything to TALK to a qualified guitar technician. And I remain puzzled as to why this is not on the table first or not all.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 05.05.21 at 06:34 AM.