Michael Anthony - Label wanted VH to change the band Name after Roth quit - Page 4
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  73
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:25 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I don't know but I think it takes some pretty big balls to sue for the right to someone else's name.

What was Roth going to do? Go out and tour as Van Halen? I'd bet he would get sued by ticket holders who were pissed that they bought tickets thinking they would see Eddie

There were all kinds of lawsuits some time ago by fans who bought tickets to nostalgia shows only to find no original members

A few years back there was an issue with two bands touring and using the same name....I want to say it was Grand Funk Railroad. And the Beach Boys had a long standing legal issue

But the recent Schon/Cain v Smith/Vallory issue where Schon and Cain said Smith and Vallory were trying something sneaky by trying to gain control of the name "Journey" and make Schon and Cain pay them for the use in perpetuity even if Smith and Vallory no longer toured

These trademarks are valuable property. But DAMN...when the band name is actually the family name! That's a low blow.

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

Agree Daisy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 06:48 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Pretty sure Roth sued because he had the idea of using Ed/Al's last name as the name of the band. Seems idiotic but if he was the one who technically "came up" with the band name, I gotta think he had a bit of a case.

Imagine if Mikey's last name was Van Halen and it was Ed and Alex Anthony.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

Yes

It is idiotic

"you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 09:16 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King50,000 VHL Life Points

I know it’s a slightly different scenario but at least AC/DC was smart to keep their name and not change it.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 07:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I don't know but I think it takes some pretty big balls to sue for the right to someone else's name.

What was Roth going to do? Go out and tour as Van Halen? I'd bet he would get sued by ticket holders who were pissed that they bought tickets thinking they would see Eddie

There were all kinds of lawsuits some time ago by fans who bought tickets to nostalgia shows only to find no original members

A few years back there was an issue with two bands touring and using the same name....I want to say it was Grand Funk Railroad. And the Beach Boys had a long standing legal issue

But the recent Schon/Cain v Smith/Vallory issue where Schon and Cain said Smith and Vallory were trying something sneaky by trying to gain control of the name "Journey" and make Schon and Cain pay them for the use in perpetuity even if Smith and Vallory no longer toured

These trademarks are valuable property. But DAMN...when the band name is actually the family name! That's a low blow.
    Just a guess, but he probably thought in his mind that VH was "Ed, Al, Mike and Dave", so he wouldn't use it, but he wanted to prevent them from using it.

I can remember George Lynch suing Don Dokken about not using Dokken after the first break up, so it isn't unheard of.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

7. MF5150, JUNGLE DRUMMER, The Rover Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

All ribbing on Sam aside, I'd imagine it was incredibly awkward to get up there and sing songs from Dave. It's like a step dad celebrating the biological dad along with his now-wife and kids after an ugly divorce and having to go along with it. For the rest of the band it isn't that awkward because they are just doing what they've always done, but then Sam has to get up there and sing a song he didn't write by a guy he probably didn't like for a variety of reasons while the fans all go nuts for VH's biggest hits. It's no wonder Sam has spent the last 35 years making (sometimes inflated) pronouncements about how successful he was prior to joining VH because it had to cut into his ego a bit. While I'll always prefer the Dave years, Sam did an incredible job in an impossible situation.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

9. Rokgtar Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Dreams
    Last Online

Today @ 08:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Elite Daily PosterWell-LikedMaster Praiser15,000 VHL Life PointsRookie

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels View Post
    Be like a man changing his last name if his wife took off.

This is laughable.

But Roth is a clown after all
    The best of clowns tries or does draw all attention to themselves, something Roth did quite well. When Roth wasn't using his Vegas act, he was damn good.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels View Post
    Be like a man changing his last name if his wife took off.

This is laughable.

But Roth is a clown after all
    A fisherman always sees another fisherman from afar.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

12. MF5150 Liked This Post
    carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Today @ 09:07 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

Queensryche had two touring entities for a bit. The members of J. Geils Band not named J. Geils had a bit with J. Geils over the name at the end.
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 09:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

You have to remember that Dave like Eddie and others have their influencers out there who are whispering in their ear "you are the man. You have to do this, that and you don't need the guy or the rest of the guys. You are the star." When you add coke, booze and whatever you make stupid decisions. Maybe even a lawyer comes up with something. History has shown that rock stars make stupid decisions based on their wives or inner circle. Not even unique to Van Halen. Look at the stupid stuff Sharon has made Ozzy do.

Even Sammy does stupid shit. I bet somebody close to him or around him said "yeah spill the shit on what happened in 2004. It will sell a ton of books. You need to do it" Its why guys who are very well grounded like Mike or Gary don't really do stupid shit.

15. noise next door, The Rover Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Today @ 07:20 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

there are 2 versions of LA Guns touring and putting out albums, 2 versions of Great White (last I checked), I'm sure there is a ton more.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:25 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    All ribbing on Sam aside, I'd imagine it was incredibly awkward to get up there and sing songs from Dave. It's like a step dad celebrating the biological dad along with his now-wife and kids after an ugly divorce and having to go along with it. For the rest of the band it isn't that awkward because they are just doing what they've always done, but then Sam has to get up there and sing a song he didn't write by a guy he probably didn't like for a variety of reasons while the fans all go nuts for VH's biggest hits. It's no wonder Sam has spent the last 35 years making (sometimes inflated) pronouncements about how successful he was prior to joining VH because it had to cut into his ego a bit. While I'll always prefer the Dave years, Sam did an incredible job in an impossible situation.
    True, Sam did do a good job, but if he didnít like singing the old songs, he only had himself to blame. He joined a younger band who already were huge and had a big following. Before he joined, he probably viewed Van Halen as upstarts, and himself as part of an older generation of rock and roll.

Sam helped the band carry on for sure, and brought stability and more money to the band by helping them get better management and a better deal. But, his job was to be the frontman for Van Halen, past and present. And to me, that meant bringing his happy ass on stage to sing songs from the previous era. I get he made no money by singing those songs. And Ed and Al wanted to make sure Dave got no money. But to me, we fans of the OG era were the ones who suffered.

18. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 06:48 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    True, Sam did do a good job, but if he didnít like singing the old songs, he only had himself to blame. He joined a younger band who already were huge and had a big following. Before he joined, he probably viewed Van Halen as upstarts, and himself as part of an older generation of rock and roll.

Sam helped the band carry on for sure, and brought stability and more money to the band by helping them get better management and a better deal. But, his job was to be the frontman for Van Halen, past and present. And to me, that meant bringing his happy ass on stage to sing songs from the previous era. I get he made no money by singing those songs. And Ed and Al wanted to make sure Dave got no money. But to me, we fans of the OG era were the ones who suffered.
    Iím pretty sure Dave wouldnít have made any money from Van Halen playing the songs live with Sammy.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I’m pretty sure Dave wouldn’t have made any money from Van Halen playing the songs live with Sammy.

Yes he does, DLR would get a cut of any song VH played live for money that he was a songwriter on. If I am understanding your post correctly.

21. MF5150 Liked This Post