SAMMY HAGAR Wishes He'd Been 'A Little More Conservative About VH ' In Autobiography - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  199
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 01:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I’ll put my hand up as I have in the past...the Sam era of Van Halen deserved a much better send off than it got in 2004.

The fact that the 2004 Reunion Tour was the bookend to that era of the band is terribly sad. Some diehard Roth fans might love that it was a shit show and Ed cleaned up his act for the Roth tours but those 12 years deserved better. And if Sam was upset about that writing the book, I’d understand 100%. They deserved Eddie, at the very least, at his 07/08 level. 2012 or 2015 would have made it spectacular.

At the same time, Sam should have never signed the contract until Eddie got himself together and I’m sure there’s some regret about that.

But in this interview you were talking about how the Bros ruthlessly “threw you out of the band” in 1996 and how that related to you writing honestly about the 2004 Tour, Sam.

Put it the fuck to bed. Ed’s gone. The band is done. Stop talking about or mentioning how your tenure of VH ended. You have a beautiful, healthy family. Beautiful houses, properties and profitable business ventures. You probably make more in a year of residuals sitting at one of your palatial, beachfront properties than most people make in a few.

Move the fuck on and stop talking about how you were thrown out of VH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mitch going full on Elsa ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

2. MF5150, AJW Liked This Post
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Atomic Punk
    Last Online

08.14.21 @ 01:08 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsWell-LikedOld GuardPadawan Praiser

That happened 15 years prior. You did it to sell books, Sam. No judgement from me as I loved the book the way it was.

But dont come back now saying it was because you were still angry.
    I understand your point. But my sense is that his VH years were the biggest undeniably most successful stretch he had. Found a writing partner/soul mate. (Whatever you want to call it.) Also Sam tends to put his heart and emotions out there much more freely than most. As we all know his lyrics are less cleaver than Dave’s in large part because he tends to write about matters of the heart. He’s not wired like a lot of people who can just move on and have unresolved issues with a guy so central to his life for so long. It ate at him and now he has some regret.

Point being I think he never really got over the breakup and had unresolved issues when he penned that book that were very much still hard for him to deal with on a personal level. What he’s saying kind of makes sense to me.

Personally I like he’s acknowledging where his head was when he wrote it. No more “Read the book. It’s Years of positivity and just a small period of when things went bad.” Had to have known that’s all anyone would want to ask him about. (And that’s exactly what happened.) He wanted his pound of flesh after having his close friend and writing partner turn on him. That level of addiction Ed was in the throes of affects the friends and family in profound ways. Sam had no resolution with Ed until roughly 2019 from what we know.

Lastly, I think Sam is trying to put that chapter to bed now by diffusing it as best he can. Wants that conversation to stop. Hence, not doing a book on tape version. Lord knows this was never about the money. Ego, place in rock history unresolved Ed issues, ABSOLUTELY.

Ok arm-chair psychology done...
    Last edited by Destructo2; 04.10.21 at 10:04 AM.
    Destructo

4. I Coulda Hada VH, MF5150 Liked This Post
    Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

08.14.21 @ 09:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

But they were mean to him. But he was good to them. But he and Ed were friends to the end.

Sell it, Sam.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 01:19 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Default SAMMY HAGAR Wishes He'd Been 'A Little More Conservative About VH ' In Autobiography

They were Dave’s biggest years as well.

He could barely sell out Bob’s Country Bunker in the early 00’s and his solo career was nowhere near as successful as Sam’s.

Yet we don’t still hear about how VH treated him in 1985 and the years that followed and I doubt we would if he never got back in the band.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

7. sinner's swing, AJW Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo2 View Post
    I understand your point. But my sense is that his VH years were the biggest undeniably most successful stretch he had. Found a writing partner/soul mate. (Whatever you want to call it.) Also Sam tends to put his heart and emotions out there much more freely than most. As we all know his lyrics are less cleaver than Dave’s in large part because he tends to write about matters of the heart. He’s not wired like a lot of people who can just move on and have unresolved issues with a guy so central to his life for so long. It ate at him and now he has some regret.

Point being I think he never really got over the breakup and had unresolved issues when he penned that book that were very much still hard for him to deal with on a personal level. What he’s saying kind of makes sense to me.

Personally I like he’s acknowledging where his head was when he wrote it. No more “Read the book. It’s Years of positivity and just a small period of when things went bad.” Had to have known that’s all anyone would want to ask him about. (And that’s exactly what happened.) He wanted his pound of flesh after having his close friend and writing partner turn on him. That level of addiction Ed was in the throes of affects the friends and family in profound ways. Sam had no resolution with Ed until roughly 2019 from what we know.

Ok arm-chair psychology done...
    Probably a lot of truth in there. It's never easy to simple "move on" when the best experience of one's life ends badly.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

They were Dave’s biggest years as well.

He could barely sell out Bob’s Country Bunker in the early 00’s and his solo career was nowhere near as successful as Sammy’s.

Yet we don’t still hear about how VH treated him in 1985 and the years that followed.

Dave is a much different personality than Sam. In spite of his gregarious and outgoing nature, he can also be a very private person. He also had the opportunity to reunite with the VH brothers, record a new album and tour 3 different times with them after Sam's debacle of a reunion with them in 2004.

Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Yeah Sammy you were so good to the bro's and they treated you so bad. Yeah, you a real stand up guy. Sell it.
    He's always been a good salesman.

11. sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 01:19 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Dave is a much different personality than Sam. In spite of his gregarious and outgoing nature, he can also be a very private person. He also had the opportunity to reunite with the VH brothers, record a new album and tour 3 different times with them after Sam's debacle of a reunion with them in 2004.
    Even if he didn’t do any of that with VH between 07-15’. I’d bet everything I own that Dave wouldn’t be mentioning how he was treated or how the band ended in 1985 or even 1996.

He moved on.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

13. JUNGLE DRUMMER, sinner's swing, AJW Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

When Sammy joined Van Halen in 1985, the brothers painted Dave as "a major pain in the ass." In that 1986 MTV special, Alex said, "We just got rid of a giant toothache and replaced it with a gold cap." That whole show was a giant lovefest with Sam filled with shots taken at Dave. The message was, "We are finally a REAL band now."

Fast forward 10 years to June 1996 and the brothers now painted Sammy as "a major pain in the ass." They also complained about his work ethic. They then "got back together" with Dave to record Me Wise Magic and Can't Get this Stuff No More for BOV I. I remember Sammy saying, "When I joined the band, Ed and Al HATED that guy! Now, they're recording with him again?"

We all know the rest of the saga. I just think Sammy felt and will always feel jilted the way things went down in 1996. I'm pretty sure the honeymoon was over way before that.

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.18.21 @ 11:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Dave had a pretty good gig after VH for a couple years before he turned into a joke. Life wasn’t kind to DLR, and I think he became humble enough for Edward to finally stand him after all his years of failure. Sam never figured it out, and he fucked with Edward’s wallet in a way DLR didn’t/couldn’t.

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    Dave had a pretty good gig after VH for a couple years before he turned into a joke. Life wasn’t kind to DLR, and I think he became humble enough for Edward to finally stand him after all his years of failure. Sam never figured it out, and he fucked with Edward wallet in a way DLR didn’t/couldn’t.
    The real reason Eddie and Alex turned on Sammy ...

17. MF5150, sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:25 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

That happened 15 years prior. You did it to sell books, Sam. No judgement from me as I loved the book the way it was.

But dont come back now saying it was because you were still angry.
    He says that the brothers were "hard to deal with" and sure when push comes to shove you are not getting between those two. Fool to try. But Sammy, if you are still sooooo angry all those years later, and still looking to get your licks in, maybe YOU are hard to deal with. Rock breaks scissors but paper covers rock. I think they all took their turns being the difficult one.

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:25 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    The real reason Eddie and Alex turned on Sammy ...

I don't know if they turned on him as much as they learned not to trust him

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    He says that the brothers were "hard to deal with" and sure when push comes to shove you are not getting between those two. Fool to try. But Sammy, if you are still sooooo angry all those years later, and still looking to get your licks in, maybe YOU are hard to deal with. Rock breaks scissors but paper covers rock. I think they all took their turns being the difficult one.
    Except for Mike.

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I don't know if they turned on him as much as they learned not to trust him
    Most relationships end due to either sex or money.