Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 03:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default MLB 2021

Read this so youíll see why itís not so easy to do what you think is so easy.

https://leejudge.substack.com/p/why-...s-bunt-against

Iíd be pretty pissed if I was a fan of a team and one of the best power hitters is sitting there trying to bunt down the left-field line. That is just fucking stupid.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Today @ 04:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Guys say it’s far more difficult to change your batting style than to just continue to hit like you normally would. You’re not going to see you guys change their games like that. I wouldn’t do it myself either frankly. Start messing with your head and stuff like that trying to do something very different like that.

All of us armchair quarterbacks make it seem like it’s something easy to do when it really isn’t. It’s not like these guys don’t notice what part of the field is open. Making that kind of adjustment when the ball is coming at you 100 miles an hour is not easy, and many players who are good hitters have said exactly that.
    agreed, you don't want to mess with your swing by trying to do what you don't. That said, I think guys who are being heavily shifted on should lay down the odd bunt just to make those shifts go away. Guy starts bunting for some easy singles and teams will stop shifting on him.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default MLB 2021

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    agreed, you don't want to mess with your swing by trying to do what you don't. That said, I think guys who are being heavily shifted on should lay down the odd bunt just to make those shifts go away. Guy starts bunting for some easy singles and teams will stop shifting on him.
    If I see Cody Bellinger start trying to lay bunts down the left field line Iím gonna be fucking furious. If thatís what he starts doing then the opposition has won. If youíre in the head of a former MVP like that to where heís trying to bunt down the left-field line because he doesnít think he can get a hit any other way, then youíve beaten him.

And it will take a lot more than just a couple bunts for teams to stop shifting. A player would have to do it for like a month straight and then maybe, maybe theyíd see a change. Maybe! And no player is going to do that.
    Webmaster

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

If I see Cody Bellinger start trying to lay bunts down the left field line Iím gonna be fucking furious. If thatís what he starts doing then the opposition has won. If youíre in the head of a former MVP like that to where heís trying to bunt down the left-field line because he doesnít think he can get a hit any other way, then youíve beaten him.

And it will take a lot more than just a couple bunts for teams to stop shifting. A player would have to do it for like a month straight and then maybe, maybe theyíd see a change. Maybe! And no player is going to do that.
    Depends on what the shifts are doing to a guy's production. If you go from being a .280 hitter to being a .220 hitter because everything you hit on the ground becomes an out then you better do something to stop it. It's either (1) learn to hit the other way or (2) learn to bunt down the 3rd baseline. If it means you lose 10 points in BA but your power stays as it is, then don't change. It's a case-by-case thing. No one is shifting on you all the time, it's usually only when the bases are empty.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Read this so you’ll see why it’s not so easy to do what you think is so easy.

https://leejudge.substack.com/p/why-...s-bunt-against

I’d be pretty pissed if I was a fan of a team and one of the best power hitters is sitting there trying to bunt down the left-field line. That is just fucking stupid.
    The power hitters and MVP's are not the ones I'd expect to make that type of change or attempt the bunts/opposite field contact against the shift. Having said that, of course it's easy for us to comment on such things that "seem" easy. After all these are professional baseball players we're talking about.

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 04:23 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I remember in the Stone Age of baseball when you had a guy on second with no one out a guy would it to the right side to advance him. No, not your big home run hitters
    So, yeah these guys are pros, it shouldn't be that hard to slap a ground ball where there's nobody on an entire side of the field
    Dealing with it.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Default MLB 2021

You guys do realize that most of these players donít practice bunting at all. And to bunt against a major league pitcher is a lot different than bunting against a machine or a guy throwing batting practice. The fundamentals of the bunt arenít taught anymore and youíre asking a major league hitter to try to adjust quickly and learn how to, but itís just not feasible. And a lot of guys just donít feel comfortable doing it, and donít feel comfortable sticking their head in there like that and risking getting hit. They are taught to hit the ball 400 feet away theyíre not taught these fundamentals anymore. And by the time they get to the major leagues youíre not going to get guys to do it in order to beat the shift. A good hitter doesnít need to worry about it.

I just think you guys are looking at it from a fanís perspective and not from the playerís perspective. Itís really easy for us to sit here as fans and say ďoh just hit the ball the other wayĒ or ďoh just bunt itís not a big deal youíre a professional.Ē I donít think itís nearly as easy as you guys think. Hitting the ball the other way is an art for a hitter. Some guys just canít do it. Not everyone is Tony Gwynn. Getting in a hitterís head about stuff like this to try to beat the shift can do a lot more damage than good.
    Webmaster

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

You guys do realize that most of these players donít practice bunting at all. And to bunt against a major league pitcher is a lot different than bunting against a machine or a guy throwing batting practice. The fundamentals of the bunt arenít taught anymore and youíre asking a major league hitter to try to adjust quickly and learn how to, but itís just not feasible. And a lot of guys just donít feel comfortable doing it, and donít feel comfortable sticking their head in there like that and risking getting hit. They are taught to hit the ball 400 feet away theyíre not taught these fundamentals anymore. And by the time they get to the major leagues youíre not going to get guys to do it in order to beat the shift. A good hitter doesnít need to worry about it.

I just think you guys are looking at it from a fanís perspective and not from the playerís perspective. Itís really easy for us to sit here as fans and say ďoh just hit the ball the other wayĒ or ďoh just bunt itís not a big deal youíre a professional.Ē I donít think itís nearly as easy as you guys think. Hitting the ball the other way is an art for a hitter. Some guys just canít do it. Not everyone is Tony Gwynn. Getting in a hitterís head about stuff like this to try to beat the shift can do a lot more damage than good.
    If a guy is being shifted and itís harming him then, as a pro, learn to bunt. If a guard loves going to the hoop and his defender stops giving him that because he canít shoot then the answer isnít to keep driving unsuccessfully, itís to work on your jumper. This is no different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. bsbll4 Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

05.07.21 @ 11:56 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

I hear you, but I do find it surprising that an elite hitter can't go the opposite field when there is no playing that side of the field.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Today @ 01:16 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Top 10 Bunters with Bases Empty, Career by Hits
    Name # _Debut_ _Att_ _Hits_ _Hit%_ _Reach%
    Brett Butler 1 8/20/1981 385 188 48.8 49.9
    Otis Nixon 2 9/9/1983 353 145 41.1 44.5
    Juan Pierre 3 8/7/2000 392 144 36.7 38.8
    Maury Wills 4 6/6/1959 268 124 46.3 47.0
    Kenny Lofton 5 9/14/1991 229 123 53.7 54.6
    Rod Carew 6 4/11/1967 126 91 72.2 72.2
    Matty Alou 7 9/26/1960 123 90 73.2 74.0
    Vince Coleman 8 4/18/1985 190 89 46.8 47.9
    Rafael Furcal 9 4/4/2000 211 80 37.9 40.3
    Mickey Mantle 10 4/17/1951 148 80 54.1 54

Never would guessed Mickey at number 10.....he was fast before he got tangled up with the sprinkler. Carew was great at it saw him bunt for a single a few times. Surprise no one on this list from the deadball era or the 1800s? Brett Butler wow would have lost that bet. This was from SB Nation
    10-6-2020 RIP King of sixstrings.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 02:44 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Just a different game from when those speedsters played.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

My friend made it to AAA, I am going to ask him if they put a shift on him like that what he would have done next time I talk to him.

I know, he didn't make the bigs, but AAA is damn good.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 12:48 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Talking

Ryu pitched an amazing game! The Yankees only got one run when he was pitching! Vladdy looked amazing too, he is a true superstar in the league now. He was even doing the splits a few times catching balls at 1st.

Tellez hit his first home run, he barely hit a thing all year. So I was happy for him. The Umpires weren't good, they had two calls that were wrong against Toronto, that had to be reversed, thankfully we have instant replay.

Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

15. It's Mike Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Any day the Yankees lose is a good day.

17. billy007, It's Mike, edwardv Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    Ryu pitched an amazing game! The Yankees only got one run when he was pitching! Vladdy looked amazing too, he is a true superstar in the league now. He was even doing the splits a few times catching balls at 1st.

Tellez hit his first home run, he barely hit a thing all year. So I was happy for him. The Umpires weren't good, they had two calls that were wrong against Toronto, that had to be reversed, thankfully we have instant replay.
    Yup, Tellez just got his first hit of the season on Monday, and now he hits his first HR.

Ryu has been great. Unfortunately. LOL It's not unexpected.

Still not sold of Vlad being a "true superstar" yet. He definitely has the potential, but nepotism will only get you so far. He needs to work on his defense at 1B. In the first series against NYY he was lunging into his 'splits' too early, pulled himself off the bag on one play.

My criticism could be based in bitterness, however. Yanks need to get the bats going. It's been a very slow, poor start so far.

19. YankeeRose Liked This Post