Posts Per Day
    Last Online

03.31.21 @ 06:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default USA Wolfgang

wanting to take the plunge into a USA model. after 3 weeks of calling i have found out that the extra 2k only gets you stainless frets, usa pickups and a tilted back headstock, block inlays. i was really surprised that it has the cheaper korean floyd rose on it. for you guys who have a USA model is the build quality and woods worth the 2k markup?

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:15 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I wouldn't be too disappointed in the FR-1000 EVH branded Korean Floyd. It is supposed to be made to the same specifications and from the same materials as the OFR, just produced in Korea. That being said, yeah, there is probably a difference between a OFR and the FR-1000, but it's not like a Floyd Rose Special, where they are using cheaper materials.

I would try to find a Japanese or even Chinese Wolfgang Special used. They had the same Stainless frets, USA Wolfgang pickups, the "thin-skin" finish like the USA, and they came with a case. The MIM Specials are great, but they just don't have the feature set that the older Specials did.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

03.31.21 @ 06:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I wouldn't be too disappointed in the FR-1000 EVH branded Korean Floyd. It is supposed to be made to the same specifications and from the same materials as the OFR, just produced in Korea. That being said, yeah, there is probably a difference between a OFR and the FR-1000, but it's not like a Floyd Rose Special, where they are using cheaper materials.

I would try to find a Japanese or even Chinese Wolfgang Special used. They had the same Stainless frets, USA Wolfgang pickups, the "thin-skin" finish like the USA, and they came with a case. The MIM Specials are great, but they just don't have the feature set that the older Specials did.

thanks. i have played a japanese and really wanting the 5a flamed maple USA one. want a carved top. was looking at a wolfgang special then decided i really fell in love with the 5a flamed maple USA one. so i am pretty set on the USA. glad to know the fr 1000 is not a issue. after speaking with someone actually knowledgeable at EVH they put my mind at ease. I like that attention to detail and woods are hand picked and of the highest quality. so i hope after 5 month wait i will get a monster player that is beautiful. resale isn't what im in to. i want to play it. worst case is i send it back if its not what i want.

thanks again for the info and suggestions. plus my stimulus check is helping me splurge on a really nice new one. with the two stimulus checks im getting it for 2k off lol

Last edited by Cornbread; 03.29.21 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added image that not showing

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 08:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default USA Wolfgang

There is nothing wrong with the Korean made Floyds. They are the absolutely same materials as the ones made in Germany. They are just put together in Korea. The only difference could be in the workmanship and I honestly havenít found much difference between the two. Like was mentioned earlier itís not like a Floyd Rose Special which has cheaper materials. I donít think the Specials are that bad either though.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

5. Majestic, Jedi McFly, Dave not David Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

04.10.21 @ 09:41 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranPic PosterMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

My personal recommendation is to buy two Wolfgang Specials. One import from Japan or China that has stainless steel frets and chrome hardware with American electronics, and a Mexican special with the jumbo nickel frets and an archtop body.

Combine the parts from the two, pretty much putting everything on the archtop body.

You then pretty much get a USA Wolfgang without a tilt-back headstock, and then a second rocking guitar that is still pretty good in its own right. You can sell the second guitar for almost as much as you paid for it, or keep it and have two Wolfgangs for less than a USA.

I have done this with about 5 or 6 pairs of Specials. I like them, they're pretty great. I did own a USA Wolf for two years while building these out, and the quality of those specials is just as good if you put them together right.

7. KS 5150, ScottyBHarris Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Or, you could get a 1st Gen Wolfgang Special and send it to Ed Roman to have him re-top it. LOL!.

Sorry, that's sort of an inside joke for people who've been here long enough to remember when that was fashionable to do and the topic of a lot of posts. Sort of a blast from the past.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, 5150
    Last Online

Today @ 07:40 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranVHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life Points

I've heard about Ed Roman and read some of his rants on his website... didn't he get caught doing something shady, like drawing on top of a guitar with a marker and then claiming it was "highly figured" maple, or something like that?

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Yeah, I don't remember if he got in any trouble, but I do remember him making a lot of money off of guys that were sending him OLP Axis guitars and getting them re-topped in EVH configuration. He was doing a lot of the Peavey EXP guitar re-tops as well. I remember reading his rants and about why his stuff was better than PRS, and shaking my head. I always thought the guy was kind of a joke myself. Not to say that he may not be a good craftsman, but boy, the guy thinks a lot of himself.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is
    Last Online

Today @ 08:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Yeah, I don't remember if he got in any trouble, but I do remember him making a lot of money off of guys that were sending him OLP Axis guitars and getting them re-topped in EVH configuration. He was doing a lot of the Peavey EXP guitar re-tops as well. I remember reading his rants and about why his stuff was better than PRS, and shaking my head. I always thought the guy was kind of a joke myself. Not to say that he may not be a good craftsman, but boy, the guy thinks a lot of himself.
    Thought a lot of himself. He's been dead since 2011....but I'm sure the fakes live on in his memory lol.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

12. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 08:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Didnít realize heís been dead that long. The guy was a major fucking asshole.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is
    Last Online

Today @ 08:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Didn’t realize he’s been dead that long. The guy was a major fucking asshole.
    He was. I went to his shop in Vegas in spring 2009, and even his staff were pricks...did have some cool stuff tho. 1st time I ever saw a Shark in person, as well as a Megazone and a George Lynch Skully.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

04.06.21 @ 07:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    wanting to take the plunge into a USA model. after 3 weeks of calling i have found out that the extra 2k only gets you stainless frets, usa pickups and a tilted back headstock, block inlays. i was really surprised that it has the cheaper korean floyd rose on it. for you guys who have a USA model is the build quality and woods worth the 2k markup?
    I have become a firm believer that the standards are the way to go now.

Why?

1 - USA Wolfs are pricey & an investment: the minute you play it the investment lowers.

B - Even specials are pricey if you're going to do mods on it

iii - I'm super comfortable with the cost of a standard to mod them any way I want and play the living daylights out of it without worrying "OMG! There's a dent in it! Oh, I have to keep the original parts in a box so I don't lose them. I want to put eyebolts on this guitar but don't want to crack the finish. ETC"

Each axe in the EVH line is stellar, but only you can determine which one is best for what you intend to do with it.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

Today @ 08:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Dave not David View Post
    My personal recommendation is to buy two Wolfgang Specials. One import from Japan or China that has stainless steel frets and chrome hardware with American electronics, and a Mexican special with the jumbo nickel frets and an archtop body.

Combine the parts from the two, pretty much putting everything on the archtop body.

You then pretty much get a USA Wolfgang without a tilt-back headstock, and then a second rocking guitar that is still pretty good in its own right. You can sell the second guitar for almost as much as you paid for it, or keep it and have two Wolfgangs for less than a USA.

I have done this with about 5 or 6 pairs of Specials. I like them, they're pretty great. I did own a USA Wolf for two years while building these out, and the quality of those specials is just as good if you put them together right.
    Iíve done this as well.

Iíve also swapped parts from EVH Specials to EVH Standards.

I agree, if you put it together right, you have a Great quality guitar.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 08:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dave not David View Post

Iím not sure this is the most sound advice but if itís worked for you, all the power to ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel