Yesterday @ 08:24 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Default VH Tunings Different on Nearly Every Song on First Six Albums

Has anyone else tried playing guitar along with Eddie to the first six albums, song by song? If you have, you probably noticed something hilarious about how each song, although tuned down a half step of standard, is not tuned to the same standard pitch. So if you play along you have to constantly tune up or down to each song to be in tune. It's funny because that problem is so consistent that it seems planned that way. I can't help but wonder why it is that way and how they tuned in the studio. Or maybe it's merely from adjusted original tape speed for album timing/space purposes.

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

04.08.21 @ 07:55 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life Points

Itís always a good idea to check the ďStickyĒ threads on this forum before you post a question...youíll probably find a lot of answers there.

Be sure to check out my thread covering the tunings: https://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thr...uner-reference

Big Bad Bill

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

02.20.21 @ 02:09 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsMaster Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by kydtsoos View Post
    Has anyone else tried playing guitar along with Eddie to the first six albums, song by song? If you have, you probably noticed something hilarious about how each song, although tuned down a half step of standard, is not tuned to the same standard pitch. So if you play along you have to constantly tune up or down to each song to be in tune. It's funny because that problem is so consistent that it seems planned that way. I can't help but wonder why it is that way and how they tuned in the studio. Or maybe it's merely from adjusted original tape speed for album timing/space purposes.
    Inorite!
    Of all the six pack songs, only a few here and there are the same.
    A long time ago, Edward revealed that when they were in the studio, he would just pick up his guitar, and whatever it was tuned at, he would have MA tune to him, and then roll the tape.
    I don't think there was any rhyme or reason to it, just laziness I guess.

However, I am certain that Edward's personal tuning temperaments/deviations, were indeed created by his ear, and a lot of trial and error.

Side Note- In their clubbing days, they would often tune a full step lower, but MA felt it was too floppy for his bass strings

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 08:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I donít know how much of that I believe that Ed just tuned to whatever. I think itís bullshit honestly. I think Ed liked to portray himself as an enigma and saying he didnít bother tuning properly added to that aura of reckless abandon. But he always seemed to have a tuner around and it takes all of five seconds to tune a guitar. Especially with a good ear like he has. Plus if youíre not tuning accurately, itíll affect vocals and harmonies on recordings. So I donít buy any of that ďI tuned to whateverĒ bs. A good producer like Ted Templeman wouldnít allow that. He just wouldnít. Now when it comes to the little cent changes on each string, yeah I think he had some ideas and played around with that by ear for the most part.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

5. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 08:58 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Also, I would think once they started adding keyboards to the mix, the guitarist couldn't just randomly tune to whatever he felt.

And as you said, talk about giving your vocalist nightmares.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 08:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I don’t know how much of that I believe that Ed just tuned to whatever. I think it’s bullshit honestly. I think Ed liked to portray himself as an enigma and saying he didn’t bother tuning properly added to that aura of reckless abandon. But he always seemed to have a tuner around and it takes all of five seconds to tune a guitar. Especially with a good ear like he has. Plus if you’re not tuning accurately, it’ll affect vocals and harmonies on recordings. So I don’t buy any of that “I tuned to whatever” bs. A good producer like Ted Templeman wouldn’t allow that. He just wouldn’t.
    This.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Today @ 07:58 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I've played along to the 6 pack songs tuned down a half step and never really noticed. But then again, I suck, so I probably would just chalk it up to me not being very good at playing the song to begin with.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 08:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I've played along to the 6 pack songs tuned down a half step and never really noticed. But then again, I suck, so I probably would just chalk it up to me not being very good at playing the song to begin with.
    Very, very few would notice. Has nothing to do with sucking or not sucking.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Today @ 07:58 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

It makes me think of that Brettify guy that put those Youtube videos up a couple of years ago of him playing terribly (and not on purpose) to different songs. He wasn't even in tune most of the time. Everyone watching was like "oh my god how does he not hear that?!" I have a feeling that's what people would hear if I recorded something, although hopefully not to the same degree!
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Brettify is still on YouTube and makes a ton of videos and he still canít play or tune. You would think after the hundreds and hundreds of videos heís put up that he would figure it out but he still hasnít. And nobody really tells him because itís just not worth it. I told him once I think and he went crazy so itís not worth the time. Heís also put up a lot of drumming videos and actually heís horrible at that too.

I donít actually think I have that great of an ear for tuning stuff even after all these years. When I play along to the six pack I donít notice if things arenít quite 1/2 step down or not. I guess I donít play along with the albums that often so I donít really notice. Actually come to think of it I donít think I ever do. When I record covers I just play along to the backing track.
    Webmaster

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 08:58 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

I can tell when things are out of tune (everyone can I think), but I can't fix it on the fly or tune by ear. I'm a slave to technology in this regard.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I can tune by ear but I canít necessarily tell if the note that Iím basing it on is in perfect pitch. I can do what Ed said he did, but frankly whatís the point. Just use a fucking tuner. I donít know of any situation where I wouldnít just use a tuner and do it correctly. Even if youíre playing live you have your tuner sitting right there on your board most likely. Thereís very little reason to tune by ear anymore.

And I really doubt that Ted Templeman said ďyeah no problem Ed, whatever tuning youíre in is good enough.Ē Like I said I think Ed just said that as part of his mystique.
    Webmaster

14. Dave's Dreidel, GoKart Mozart Liked This Post
    Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

04.10.21 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Just buy a strobo plus and tune/intontate to their sweetened tunings and you are much better off then most people. Itís an upwards battle to keep one tuned if you donít know how to set it up to how you play. Edwards guitar tech had a pretty good explanation about if you play hard you can tune it to string strike rather than waiting for it to settle, and doing a tempered tuning like a piano. Garb found most of the tunings he liked, being that he tuned often to some of those offsets I imagine he had it planned.

Big Bad Bill

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

02.20.21 @ 02:09 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsMaster Praiser

I found the April '80 Guitar Player interview, and just quoting Edward here, for whatever that's worth;

How do you tune up before a show?

"I tune all my guitars myself. We tune a quarter step down, so it's like right between E and Eb, this is for vocal reasons.
    I used to tune down to D, but Mike couldn't get his bass tone-he'd get too much slap.
    When we go in the studio, man, I don't strobe tune or anything. I just pick the guitar up and if it's in tune, I say, 'Mike, tune to me,' and we play.
    Why does it have to be the same? Who says it has to be tuned to E? Why the rules? Fuck the rules!
    I mean the main reason I get all the weird stuff I do on guitar is because I don't do it by the rules."

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

04.08.21 @ 07:55 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    I found the April '80 Guitar Player interview, and just quoting Edward here, for whatever that's worth;

How do you tune up before a show?

"I tune all my guitars myself. We tune a quarter step down, so it's like right between E and Eb, this is for vocal reasons.
    I used to tune down to D, but Mike couldn't get his bass tone-he'd get too much slap.
    When we go in the studio, man, I don't strobe tune or anything. I just pick the guitar up and if it's in tune, I say, 'Mike, tune to me,' and we play.
    Why does it have to be the same? Who says it has to be tuned to E? Why the rules? Fuck the rules!
    I mean the main reason I get all the weird stuff I do on guitar is because I don't do it by the rules."
    Yet Iíve proven that the tuning was no accident and the many pictures of Eddieís tuning roadcase and his techís benches prove that he used Peterson strobe tuners. He means that he uses specific tuning offsets that he arrived at using his ear and/or his Peterson strobe tuners. When he is just playing and practicing, he tunes by ear...There is footage of him doing this by ear in the ď5150 VaultĒ video, but again this is in rehearsal and not during a recording session or live show.

The ďrulesĒ say you have to tune to the exact chromatic pitch on each string, but I have clearly and irrefutably shown that Eddie created his own tuning offsets and used many of the same tuning offsets on different songs on the same album and even the same tuning offsets that appear on an album made in 1977 also appear on another album in 1981. This proves that these tunings were not accidents.

He used tuning offsets that he arrived at using his ears and Peterson tuners which he has been using since at least 1978 and possibly earlier than that. All of this is covered in my thread covering Eddieís many tuning offsets. This isnít even controversial anymore since the live tuning offsets that he used on the last tours were revealed in Guitar World, again as I have mentioned in the sticky tuning thread.

Lonnie Totman and Tom Weber have confirmed that Eddie used tuning offsets. Donít take my word for it. Look through the tuning thread and there should be no mystery to it. They exist on the records and I have found and notated them and Iíll continue to post them as I find them. Before too long Iíll have the exact tuning offsets on every song from every album from the demos through OU812. The proof is in the pudding. Try the tunings and I guarantee you that you will be in tune with the recordings.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 02.17.21 at 06:48 PM.