Yesterday @ 05:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy_14 View Post
    I used to think Sam blaming Ray D came across like sour grapes but it sounds like rd was actually playing on Ed's insecurities and sort of pulling the strings a little bit
    To me it sounds more like RD had trouble reining in the chaos and putting his foot down. It was too complicated for him, especially since he lived in Toronto and not LA. Either go with Dave right after Sam, or just don't go with Dave at all and bring in Cherone immediately after Sam was gone.
    Malloy was pure folly.

This story in Rolling Stone forgets one thing: Mitch Malloy is a second rate singer that sounds TERRIBLE singing on Eddie's stuff. When hearing Mitch, I miss Gary. That's how bad Mitch Malloy is. Plus his whole persona is like a christian bro country singer. Horrid stuff. I think in 1996, Eddie's brain must've been downloaded by aliens. Something like that.
    Little Dreamer

2. Bigdaddy_14, Mama's Fool Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Today @ 12:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    Seems like he didn't have a decision to actually make:
    Yep, I think they wanted Gary more either way.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    MAMMOTH WVH: 1x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 10x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    In the year 1996, VH had 4 singers, Hagar, then Roth, then Malloy and finally, Cherone.

That's gotta be a world record for a calendar year.
    And damn near Sass who stayed with them for 4 months!
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

5. sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by belikemike View Post
    Interesting read, a few new tidbits in there, and really helps clear up the timeline that I had always struggled with.

Hagar officially fired and/or leaves the band after the Father’s Day conversation. Roth records the two songs, presumably May/June/July of that year.

Malloy comes in August, and it sounds like they had some dealings with Cherone in the same time period. The MTV thing happens in September, and Cherone is then on board.

Not sure if Malloy was ever really offered the job or not. My guess is Ed told him he was in, but the business end of it was never put in process. So when he backed out, he backed out of nothing, at least in Ray Danniels mind.

Give Malloy credit, he seems to have good instincts. He wanted to get away from that entire shit show after seeing the band with Roth on MTV. Always been kind of curious if Cherone ever had similar thoughts before signing up?

DD makes a great point about karma. They double/triple dealt with a bunch of guys, and in the end it was a huge factor in the ruination of VH as a functioning, productive, active band. They have been nothing but a nostalgia act since. Something Ed railed against several times in his younger years.

Someday I’d love to hear more about the parting with Cherone. What forced it? They were apparently making progress on the second album. My gut tells me the record company essentially put its foot down after hearing what was being worked on for Mach III round 2. If it was actually Ed/Al, kind of strange timing that they just “figured out” that Gary didn’t belong in the midst of recording the second record. They would have known that recording the first record. Or certainly after the tour. Maybe Gary realized it, and backed out? Would love to know that story someday.
    Check out my recent thread about this if you already haven't:

https://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thr...96-Realization
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 01:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Check out my recent thread about this if you already haven't:

https://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thr...96-Realization
    On 11/5/99, I was driving to see a customer in South Gate, CA. I was listening to 95.5 KLOS and the DJ reported that Gary Cherone was officially out of Van Halen. I'm not gonna lie. My first thought was, "Good. Now, they can finally bring Dave back." I didn't have the internet at home, and I remember being at my wife's cousin's house in Placentia, CA and stumbling across some website called the VHLinks. I wonder whatever became of that place? Anyway, I was obsessed with finding out what VH's next move would be. Surely, they would bring back Dave. So much wasted time with this great band. Sigh ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

I always thought that Gary sounded too much like Sammy, not enough departure there.

9. Little Dreamer Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Work'in Hard View Post
    I always thought that Gary sounded too much like Sammy, not enough departure there.
    However if you listen to "More Than Words" or "Get The Funk Out," you'd never think he sounded like Sammy.
    Little Dreamer

11. DJ Work'in Hard, sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.06.21 @ 06:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points

He never sounded like Sam with Extreme, and he didn't sound much like Sam on the III tour either. Ed pushed him to sing too high on the album, and wasn't his natural delivery.

13. xk319, Raldo, DJ Work'in Hard Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    On 11/5/99, I was driving to see a customer in South Gate, CA. I was listening to 95.5 KLOS and the DJ reported that Gary Cherone was officially out of Van Halen. I'm not gonna lie. My first thought was, "Good. Now, they can finally bring Dave back." I didn't have the internet at home, and I remember being at my wife's cousin's house in Placentia, CA and stumbling across some website called the VHLinks. I wonder whatever became of that place? Anyway, I was obsessed with finding out what VH's next move would be. Surely, they would bring back Dave. So much wasted time with this great band. Sigh ...
    I'm a '99er, too!
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Today @ 08:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

I dont think he sounds or sounded like Sammy at all.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

05.01.21 @ 10:51 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardVHLinks Proud!Padawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    He never sounded like Sam with Extreme, and he didn't sound much like Sam on the III tour either. Ed pushed him to sing too high on the album, and wasn't his natural delivery.

Think Ed admitted as much in past interviews. He should’ve let Gary be Gary, without pushing it. His voice just sounded so strained and unnatural on too much of III for my tastes.

Ed didn’t want Sammy in the band, but he had gotten used to/appreciated/enjoyed having Sammy’s range in the band. Just like Sam wasn’t Dave, it was going to be difficult to put somebody in that seat that could pull off Sammy’s range naturally.
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS

"Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

"I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red

17. xk319 Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

SGMAD
    Last Online

08.08.21 @ 12:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I don't know if I would've liked a Mitch Malloy version of VH. Obviously the guy is talented and has a beautiful voice. So maybe. I was a fan of Gary's before Gary joined VH. So when I heard that news I thought it was going to be awesome. But when the album came out, I was shocked to hear how consistently gravelly and and distorted he sang and I couldn't quite get past it to enjoy that record. Here's a guy who is a real talented, professional vocalist, singing in that horrible tone for basically the whole record. I believe if Gary would've sung like Gary for that record, it could've worked. The proof for me is to watch any footage of III live where Gary sings like Gary. He does a fantastic job. The album version of Once is painful to listen to, but I remember there was an alternate mix for the official unreleased video where Gary sang much of it without that gravelly distorted tone and I thought it sounded much better.

19. JUNGLE DRUMMER, xk319 Liked This Post
    Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.06.21 @ 06:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by kydtsoos View Post
    I don't know if I would've liked a Mitch Malloy version of VH. Obviously the guy is talented and has a beautiful voice. So maybe. I was a fan of Gary's before Gary joined VH. So when I heard that news I thought it was going to be awesome. But when the album came out, I was shocked to hear how consistently gravelly and and distorted he sang and I couldn't quite get past it to enjoy that record. Here's a guy who is a real talented, professional vocalist, singing in that horrible tone for basically the whole record. I believe if Gary would've sung like Gary for that record, it could've worked. The proof for me is to watch any footage of III live where Gary sings like Gary. He does a fantastic job. The album version of Once is painful to listen to, but I remember there was an alternate mix for the official unreleased video where Gary sang much of it without that gravelly distorted tone and I thought it sounded much better.
    Technically speaking, Gary is probably the most versatile and talented singer VH ever had, but he definitely did not sound like himself on that album. Another reason why I'd like to hear the follow up to III.

That said, Dave was, is, and always will be the true singer/frontman of Van Halen.

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen or Fair Warning
    Last Online

10.13.21 @ 05:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

To me, Gary sounds nothing like Hagar in VH.
    He was straining in places for sure, but Cherone just didn't work.
    I like most of his work in Extreme; particularly the funkier, harder tracks.
    I don't really care for the softer songs, I always thought he sounded too feminine. "Once", "More Than Words".

I feel Hagar is the most versatile and talented of the VH singers; however Dave is the true, original singer and ringmaster.
    Just like Mike is the true bassist.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Big Bad Bill
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by kydtsoos View Post
    Man, this.

23. sinner's swing Liked This Post