Last Online

Today @ 12:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsWell-LikedOld GuardPadawan Praiser

That’s a really fair assessment of Dave and Sam. He comes off as a grumpy old man here?
    Destructo

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 12:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo2 View Post
    That’s a really fair assessment of Dave and Sam. He comes off as a grumpy old man here?
    I think the other quotes were taken out of context, if you read them with the whole interview they probably make more sense.
    Little Dreamer

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Vanhalenstore says there’s a huge book dedicated to Alex from this

They have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I think the "we grew up together" component is too often overlooked on why they kept going back to DLR.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

5. JUNGLE DRUMMER, I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I think the "we grew up together" component is too often overlooked on why they kept going back to DLR.
    They sold a lot of records with Dave, that's probably the main reason. Dave is the one going on about the "good old days" during the interviews - even writing songs about it (Damn Good, Blood and Fire). You've never heard the bros going "ah, good times at your pop's house, Dave." They're just not the nostalgic type.
    Little Dreamer

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:41 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    They sold a lot of records with Dave, that's probably the main reason. Dave is the one going on about the "good old days" during the interviews - even writing songs about it (Damn Good, Blood and Fire). You've never heard the bros going "ah, good times at your pop's house, Dave." They're just not the nostalgic type.
    So you are saying they are basically inhuman.

Everyone has nostalgia, some more, some less, but everyone of a certain age has it. Key part you are missing, Ed and Al don't write the lyrics, and I doubt Sam would've been too keen on the idea even if they did.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

8. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:05 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life Points

"Dave is creative – 90 percent of it is garbage, but that 10 percent is fucking worth it.” - AVH

C'mon AL

Don't start another Sam VS Dave shit fest.

10. Little Dreamer Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Whatever Brett says.
    Favorite VH Song

None. Because I hate VH.
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Default New Alex Interview modern drummer

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    "Dave is creative – 90 percent of it is garbage, but that 10 percent is fucking worth it.” - AVH
    That’s possibly the best description of Dave, I’ve ever heard anybody give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I can't imagine these past few years have been fun for Alex. His brother and best friend--maybe the only other human being he trusted 100%--had been slowly dying. So there's that.

Looking back through the years, Alex has done interviews in the past in newspapers, magazines and on TV and radio. But he absolutely loathes social media and I couldn't agree with him more. Social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) is making the world a horrible place.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

13. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Dutchie5150 Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I can't imagine these past few years have been fun for Alex. His brother and best friend--maybe the only other human being he trusted 100%--had been slowly dying. So there's that.

Looking back through the years, Alex has done interviews in the past in newspapers, magazines and on TV and radio. But he absolutely loathes social media and I couldn't agree with him more. Social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) is making the world a horrible place.
    I imagine that maybe in august Ed was a bit better? Alex doesn't talk about VH like a band that's over. Maybe there was still hope when he gave the interview. I'm sure any interview given now would be more about the legacy.
    Little Dreamer

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I know it is only part of the interview, so it might be taken out of context, but those quotes make him sound extremely unlikeable.
    Yeah, it's hard to say. You can't see and hear him saying it. Tone of voice, hand gestures and facial expressions make all the difference.
    Just reading the words on a screen, you fill in all those blanks yourself and you might be right or you might not.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

16. Little Dreamer Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Today @ 02:04 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Was this done to throw people off the fact Ed was sick? Considering Al doesn't talk much the timing is unusual, and the interview is kinda " ho-hum".

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I just got my copy last week. It's put out by Modern drummer and contains all three of the cover stories they did on him over the years. I have had a subscription to MD since 1983 and my first one was the AVH issue in October of '83. Alex doesn't really come off as the nostalgic type and seems to like to typically look ahead. I may not agree with how he says that he and Ed just want to play music and that's it but that's just who they were/are. I actually kind of applaud the approach Wolfgang has taken with social media and stuff. Sometimes I think he gets in to it with people that are just a waste of his time but for the most part he will squash any type of rumor or fake BS. Alex and Eddie would never ever say one word which would leave all the BS rumors to go around for years. I love how Wolf will just come right out and call BS or set the record straight. Clearly it works as a lot of the stupid rumor BS about him doing VH without Eddie has gone completely away. I haven't been seeing any VH rumor BS lately and I think it's because Wolf made it VERY clear as to what is going on. No need to spill out your peronal life away or anything but it's nice to get a rumor squashed right from the get go.

I haven't had time to really pour through this thing on Alex yet but it looks pretty good. It's also better looking than a magazine. It looks like a decent quality print and it's a decent size too. maybe be the size of a Rolling Stone mag with better paper quality.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

19. JMJ Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

More stuff from the AVH interview has appeared online - actually very interesting, AVH is talking again, and sounds like he used to in the 80s-90s. It's almost like his 20 years of self-imposed silence have ended and he's back to his usual self.

“After we honed our skills, you learn the connection between the people and the music,” he explained. “Playing live, there should be no dead space. Never turn your back on the audience and never insult them. They are equal to you. That line that separates the audience from the stage, that’s not a line. That’s just to keep them from puking on your shit! You’re there to make the audience feel good.”
    He went on to claim that modern technology had been misused to destroy the world of recording. “There’s nothing left in the music business,” he said. “It’s a bunch of ones and zeroes. In the old days you’d get a dollar a record, and now you get 50 cents for 275,000 streams. It’s insane. It’s wrong. Now the only thing you have is playing live, which is ironic, because that’s how it all started.”

Alex pointed out that, up until their 1984 era, Van Halen and their tour crew had all traveled on the same bus, and the experience had strengthened their onstage presence. “Leonardo da Vinci said, ‘Large rooms distract the mind; small rooms focus the mind’,” he quoted. “When you’re all tight in close quarters, it focuses your energies and you learn how to deal with issues and problems. If you’re in a large space, you never even have to say ‘hello’ to the other guys. What’s that all about?"

“I’d rather have someone wake up in the morning and say, ‘Hey, fuck you!’ as opposed to not saying anything at all," Alex continued. "I’m serious. Give me some emotion! That’s what this is about. Music is a celebration of being human. With the drums at the forefront!”

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/alex...usic-business/
    Little Dreamer

21. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hampshire View Post
    I just got my copy last week. It's put out by Modern drummer and contains all three of the cover stories they did on him over the years. I have had a subscription to MD since 1983 and my first one was the AVH issue in October of '83. Alex doesn't really come off as the nostalgic type and seems to like to typically look ahead. I may not agree with how he says that he and Ed just want to play music and that's it but that's just who they were/are. I actually kind of applaud the approach Wolfgang has taken with social media and stuff. Sometimes I think he gets in to it with people that are just a waste of his time but for the most part he will squash any type of rumor or fake BS. Alex and Eddie would never ever say one word which would leave all the BS rumors to go around for years. I love how Wolf will just come right out and call BS or set the record straight. Clearly it works as a lot of the stupid rumor BS about him doing VH without Eddie has gone completely away. I haven't been seeing any VH rumor BS lately and I think it's because Wolf made it VERY clear as to what is going on. No need to spill out your peronal life away or anything but it's nice to get a rumor squashed right from the get go.

I haven't had time to really pour through this thing on Alex yet but it looks pretty good. It's also better looking than a magazine. It looks like a decent quality print and it's a decent size too. maybe be the size of a Rolling Stone mag with better paper quality.
    I remember seeing some old interview from the late 80's or early 90's where Alex tells Sammy something along the lines of there being "comfort in the past." Maybe that was the inspiration for Chickenfoot's Future In The Past.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"