Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    My question is- if Dave had reeled it in a little that night at the VMA’s and there wasn’t the backstage blowup, would they have still gone with a third singer? My guess is they’d have stayed with Dave until it would’ve inevitably fallen off the rails again.
    They were already working with other people even while they were talking with Dave. I think it was clear based on Ed's responses and basically insinuating that everyone should cool their jets that he had no intention of doing a long term gig with Roth at that point. I think Dave acted like an ass, but I can see him being misled into thinking there was going to be more just to get him in the door for the two new songs and the promotion. Then when they didn't need him anymore they pulled the rug out and continued with their plans to go with a third singer.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

07.24.21 @ 04:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

My question is- if Dave had reeled it in a little that night at the VMA’s and there wasn’t the backstage blowup, would they have still gone with a third singer? My guess is they’d have stayed with Dave until it would’ve inevitably fallen off the rails again.
    They already had a different singer---two of them actually

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

10.13.21 @ 07:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

No, I think that it was a convenient excuse. If you look at the timeline, they already had Mitch slotted with Gary as a dark horse possibility. They used Dave for the BOV1. Dumping Sammy, using Dave, and then going with a much younger, subservient singer was Ed's big power play. Bringing Dave back would not have accomplished what he wanted for the band moving forward.
    RIP EVH 1955-2020

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    They already had a different singer---two of them actually
    Yes, but I don’t think anything was in stone. They were supposed to make a video (or two) with Dave. If that went well, I don’t know why they’d have pulled the plug. Ed said “baby steps”. That leads me to believe there was potential to continue. Once it blew up, of course the company line became, it was just for the Best Of, nothing more. They couldn’t have been that blind to knowingly dangle Roth out there and pull a switcheroo, and think it wouldn’t blow up in their face, could they?

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Yes, but I don’t think anything was in stone. They were supposed to make a video (or two) with Dave. If that went well, I don’t know why they’d have pulled the plug. Ed said “baby steps”. That leads me to believe there was potential to continue. Once it blew up, of course the company line became, it was just for the Best Of, nothing more. They couldn’t have been that blind to knowingly dangle Roth out there and pull a switcheroo, and think it wouldn’t blow up in their face, could they?
    This is Van Halen we're talking about. Of course they could. I think it was one of those things where the message kind of got away from them before they knew it. Ed saying "baby steps" was his way of saying "we're not doing anything" because he had Dave sitting there right next to him. He's not about to say "we have no plans to do anything with Dave in the future" when all of that is going on.

6. Dave's Dreidel, BlindtotheWorld Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 01:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    This is Van Halen we're talking about. Of course they could. I think it was one of those things where the message kind of got away from them before they knew it. Ed saying "baby steps" was his way of saying "we're not doing anything" because he had Dave sitting there right next to him. He's not about to say "we have no plans to do anything with Dave in the future" when all of that is going on.
    And that's what a manager is for. To advise their client of shit like that. "Hey, guys....this might be a good business decision now but if you have no plans on him coming back to the band you should probably not do this until you're ready to do a full scale reunion."

To think that bringing Roth back for two songs/videos for a measly Greatest Hits record, while still looking for a permanent lead singer to move ahead with was a good idea, is insane.

And good on Mitch Malloy for basically getting the gig and saying, "No, thank you". That takes a huge amount of balls and character, but he knew that after the MTV Awards nobody was going to accept a new lead singer, unless their names were Dave or Sam.

Can you imagine being told as a relatively unknown singer, "Hey, congrats, you got the gig. You're going to be a part of one of the biggest bands in the World" and being able to say No?

I can't.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 02:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    And that's what a manager is for. To advise their client of shit like that. "Hey, guys....this might be a good business decision now but if you have no plans on him coming back to the band you should probably not do this until you're ready to do a full scale reunion."

To think that bringing Roth back for two songs/videos for a measly Greatest Hits record, while still looking for a permanent lead singer to move ahead with was a good idea, is insane.

And good on Mitch Malloy for basically getting the gig and saying, "No, thank you". That takes a huge amount of balls and character, but he knew that after the MTV Awards nobody was going to accept a new lead singer, unless their names were Dave or Sam.

Can you imagine being told as a relatively unknown singer, "Hey, congrats, you got the gig. You're going to be a part of one of the biggest bands in the World" and being able to say No?

I can't.
    The only relatively unknown singer who would have accepted that gig would have been someone with the last name Van Halen.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    The only relatively unknown singer who would have accepted that gig would have been someone with the last name Van Halen.
    I dont think so. 95% of available singers would have taken that gig. To be the new lead singer in Van Halen as a relative unknown?

You go from being a nobody to a somebody in an instant and if you somehow are able to be good? It has the potential to be like winning the powerball for a working musician/singer.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

10. sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    The only relatively unknown singer who SHOULD have accepted that gig would have been someone with the last name Van Halen.
    Fixed.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

12. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

They had no plans for getting back with DLR.

He was a hop in the sack for old times sake after a divorce, but they had zero intention of rekindling the romance. They thought they were being smart with promoting BOV1, but what they were doing was setting themselves up for a pissed off fanbase.

Would be akin to the Colts bringing back Peyton Manning, having him play in preseason games, and then in Game 1 trotting out Charlie "Quarterback Jesus" Whitehurst under center.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

He was a hop in the sack for old times sake after a divorce, but they had zero intention of rekindling the romance. They thought they were being smart with promoting BOV1, but what they were doing was setting themselves up for a pissed off fanbase.

Would be akin to the Colts bringing back Peyton Manning, having him play in preseason games, and then in Game 1 trotting out Charlie "Quarterback Jesus" Whitehurst under center.
    Or, like your wife telling you that you can have a "hall pass" with Minka Kelly and then it ends up being Jim Kelly. That might be cool for It's Mike (with him being a Bills fan), but you would probably not be pleased or amused.

15. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

He was a hop in the sack for old times sake after a divorce, but they had zero intention of rekindling the romance.
    None of us know for sure but knowing Ed and Al the way we think we do, do you not think they would have just said, "Fuck that" to any suggestion of bringing Dave back for 2 songs if it was just to promote a Best Of album? Why would they even consider it for two songs on a Best Of album? Who would bring back a contentious lead singer you hate, to write two new songs on a Greatest Hits album? It's pointless, really.

Personally, I think they definitely had intentions of moving forward with Dave but were actively holding auditions and offering the gig to people in an effort to hedge their bets if they didn't get a long with Dave or if something happened. Allows them to just back away and say they had no plans to reunite with Dave, if he fucks up. But if everything turned out to be sunshine and lollipops with Dave, I don't think for a second that they would have hesitated in telling Malloy or Cherone to pound sand.

What can't be denied either way regardless of the Bros' intentions, is that they led Dave on and Ed's answers at the pressers during the MTV Awards were proof of that. I think Dave truly thought there was potential for this to go on. You wouldn't say shit like, "If we were to tour...we would need to write/record a new album..." if you had no plans of doing it with Dave while Dave is standing right there.

Bottom line is, it was poorly managed by Danniels, Ed and Al regardless of what their intentions were.
    Last edited by MF5150; 01.15.21 at 12:16 PM.

17. DFVH5150, sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    None of us know for sure but knowing Ed and Al the way we think we do, do you not think they would have just said, "Fuck that" to any suggestion of bringing Dave back for 2 songs if it was just to promote a Best Of album? Why would they even consider it for two songs on a Best Of album? Who would bring back a contentious lead singer you hate, to write two new songs on a Greatest Hits album? It's pointless, really.

Personally, I think they definitely had intentions of moving forward with Dave but were actively holding auditions and offering the gig to people in an effort to hedge their bets if they didn't get a long with Dave or if something happened. Allows them to just back away and say they had no plans to reunite with Dave, if he fucks up. But if everything turned out to be sunshine and lollipops with Dave, I don't think for a second that they would have hesitated in telling Malloy or Cherone to pound sand.

What can't be denied either way regardless of the Bros' intentions, is that they led Dave on and Ed's answers at the pressers during the MTV Awards were proof of that. I think Dave truly thought there was potential for this to go on. You wouldn't say shit like, "If we were to tour...we would need to write/record a new album..." if you had no plans of doing it with Dave while Dave is standing right there.

Bottom line is, it was poorly managed by Danniels, Ed and Al regardless of what their intentions were.
    That's what you say when you realize the message has gotten away from you completely and now you're stuck doing an interview you didn't want, answering questions you didn't think you would get, alongside a guy you don't like that clearly is under the impression he's back in the band.

Ed was basically saying "Eh...don't get too excited. I have to get my hip replaced, then we have to make a record, the dog ate my homework, there's probably going to be an earthquake, etc." The dude was coming up with shit to say in the moment to temper expectations without actually saying it. When you look at it in that context, what transpired was inevitable.

Dave thinks he's back, Ed is realizing they fucked up and starts getting all wishy washy. Dave thinks this is his triumphant return and is getting pissed that Ed keeps downplaying. He's the hype man trying to drum up the interest and here's Ed talking about all the reasons fans shouldn't get excited. Finally Dave turns to Ed and says "this isn't about your hip" in a way that he probably spoke to Ed all the time back in the day when he ran the show. Ed had changed by that point and told Dave to fuck off. If they wanted to patch things up I'm sure they could have, but instead Ed and Al used it as a convenient excuse to say "Dave is an ass. We tried, but wouldn't you know it fans, we couldn't make it work. Here's a new guy you can all rally behind."

At the time that probably seemed like the best option. Obviously in retrospect it wasn't, but Ed and Al hadn't failed yet and they thought they were the reason for the band's success. Who was going to tell them otherwise at the time?

Getting back to the beginning of the whole thing, I think they may have considered doing something more with Dave for a fleeting moment, but the moment the man was standing in front of them being Dave again they probably realized it would never work.

19. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Sure it could have worked.

You put him in front a microphone for two hours every other night, and then put him in a studio two weeks every other year.

Bands make this out to be rocket science, and it really isn't. They had a winning formula, they fucked the formula once and got away with it. 2nd time, not so lucky.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

21. MF5150, I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen or Fair Warning
    Last Online

10.13.21 @ 05:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

1996 is the year the band Van Halen ended for me.
    Everything else just seemed like a string of projects, even if some of it was good.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

23. MF5150 Liked This Post