EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

10.19.21 @ 03:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Looks like Mike was real bitter about having to sign away certain rights.

May not have gotten over it.
    Certainly within his right to feel that way.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

05.01.21 @ 10:51 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardVHLinks Proud!Padawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Not necessarily a worse person, but if he loves the fans so much as is said, maybe make the simplest of efforts to reconcile for them before death makes it impossible.

Maybe.

Reconciliation with Ed wouldn’t change any perception i have about Mike’s love of the fans. They are different, in my mind.
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS

"Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

"I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen or Fair Warning
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I can understand why Mike could have held on to some anger.
    From what I've read, he was treated quite poorly in the early years on occasion.
    There was seemingly some bitterness regarding Mike sharing equal songwriting credits early on.
    Why he still received equal songwriting credits when Sammy joined is a little confusing, perhaps it was about portraying band unity.

He was later forced to give up his share in the Cabo Wabo club by Ed and Al.
    The brothers didn't approve of him playing with Sammy while the band was on hiatus and were unhappy with his hot sauce side interest.

He then had to sign away rights to the band name to tour in 2004, with Ed in later years suggested everything Mike played, Ed had to teach him.

I can understand why Mike and Ed hadn't reconnected.
    It seems both men were capable of some stubbornness.
    At least Ed made an effort to pass on some good will to Mike through Sam nearer the end, I hope Mike was able to reciprocate.
    Mike did show respect and gratitude towards Ed when he passed and has been supportive towards Wolf as well.

It is a shame Ed and Mike never had a chance to talk things through and fully resolve everything, but it appears things were on the right track to get there...
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Sane View Post
    I can understand why Mike could have held on to some anger.
    From what I've read, he was treated quite poorly in the early years on occasion.
    There was seemingly some bitterness regarding Mike sharing equal songwriting credits early on.
    Why he still received equal songwriting credits when Sammy joined is a little confusing, perhaps it was about portraying band unity.

He was later forced to give up his share in the Cabo Wabo club by Ed and Al.
    The brothers didn't approve of him playing with Sammy while the band was on hiatus and were unhappy with his hot sauce side interest.

He then had to sign away rights to the band name to tour in 2004, with Ed in later years suggested everything Mike played, Ed had to teach him.

I can understand why Mike and Ed hadn't reconnected.
    It seems both men were capable of some stubbornness.
    At least Ed made an effort to pass on some good will to Mike through Sam nearer the end, I hope Mike was able to reciprocate.
    Mike did show respect and gratitude towards Ed when he passed and has been supportive towards Wolf as well.

It is a shame Ed and Mike never had a chance to talk things through and fully resolve everything, but it appears things were on the right track to get there...
    Have to disagree with you.
    It's not a "both sides" situation here.
    Mike accepted a lot of stuff without saying a word. The stuff they took from him in 1984, he didn't say a word, and went on praising Ed when he was interviewed. Cabo Wabo thing, same. But at one point, a man reaches his limit, that's when he played with Sam in 2002 and told the bros he had enough of their threats. Post 2004, it only got worse.
    I think Sam was in a different situation. Ed stopped working with Sam. But he didn't really insult him, negate his contribution, etc, etc. It was easier for Sam to call Ed.
    Mike definitely loved Ed, that's why what Ed did hurt so much. It's not only what EVH did, it's the fact that he did it publicly. It also hurt Mike's family. From what we know, Wolf was going to call Mike, in 2019, before Azoff did. If he was, it would've been with Ed's blessing. But as great as Wolf is, I don't think he could've fixed a conflict that deep. Was Ed ready to say "I'm really sorry?" Because that's what would've been needed. I'm not sure he's ever said this in his life, ever. But people change sometimes, so it's not impossible. In any case, we'll never know.
    Little Dreamer

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I’m confused cause I could’ve sworn I read somewhere that Sammy said that Mikey did speak with Ed, but that it was for Mikey to elaborate on when the time was right.

He said “they did” or something like that after being asked if Mike and Ed spoke.

Somebody can correct me if I’m mistaken though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Representatives spoke. Not each other directly however Ed told Sammy to give Mikey his love on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

On the one hand, VH screwed Mike over pretty badly.

On the other, Sam had been in contact with Ed while Ed was very sick. Certainly Mike knew Ed was very sick from Sam.

IF it's true that Ed told Sam to give Mike my love, then A) Sam could have told Ed "hey you should call Mike and tell him yourself, he'd love to hear from you" or B) Mike should've called Ed after hearing about Ed's deteriorating health.

Bottom line is we don't know the details of all this. And the whole situation is a damn shame.

7. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen or Fair Warning
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Have to disagree with you.
    It's not a "both sides" situation here.
    Mike accepted a lot of stuff without saying a word. The stuff they took from him in 1984, he didn't say a word, and went on praising Ed when he was interviewed. Cabo Wabo thing, same. But at one point, a man reaches his limit, that's when he played with Sam in 2002 and told the bros he had enough of their threats. Post 2004, it only got worse.
    I think Sam was in a different situation. Ed stopped working with Sam. But he didn't really insult him, negate his contribution, etc, etc. It was easier for Sam to call Ed.
    Mike definitely loved Ed, that's why what Ed did hurt so much. It's not only what EVH did, it's the fact that he did it publicly. It also hurt Mike's family. From what we know, Wolf was going to call Mike, in 2019, before Azoff did. If he was, it would've been with Ed's blessing. But as great as Wolf is, I don't think he could've fixed a conflict that deep. Was Ed ready to say "I'm really sorry?" Because that's what would've been needed. I'm not sure he's ever said this in his life, ever. But people change sometimes, so it's not impossible. In any case, we'll never know.
    The both sides was only as far as reaching out to the other. I feel they were both a little stubborn with regards to that.
    I definetely agree Ed had more apologies to make than Mike. Ed wronged Mike, much more than the otherway round.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

This really bugs me.

Almost unanimously, people have come forward about how kind-hearted and generous Ed was. Just check the tributes thread/the internet.

Yeah, I know, it's easier to put your best face forward to strangers and acquaintances; it's your inner circle that sees the ugly. But certainly Dave, Sam and Valerie were victims of Ed's unkindness, and yet all three were able to reconcile with him to some degree.

What was it about Mike? Why did Mike consistently get treated like garbage by the guy that everyone else claims had a big heart?

Sigh. All of us are like Ed; a mix of good and bad, kind and unkind. It just sucks.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default Michael Anthony Never Got to Reconcile with Edward

I don’t think anyone here is in a position to comment on this frankly. It’s none of our business we have no idea what happened between the two of them and that’s that. To judge Mike or even frankly judge Ed now Is just not our place.

I think there are a lot of hurt feelings on Mike’s side of it and there is so much more going on than we could possibly understand in their relationship.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Hot For Teacher

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

10.19.21 @ 02:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I don’t think anyone here is in a position to comment on this frankly. It’s none of our business we have no idea what happened between the two of them and that’s that. To judge Mike or even frankly judge Ed now Is just not our place.

I think there are a lot of hurt feelings on Mike’s side of it and there is so much more going on then we could possibly understand in their relationship.
    All the speculating folks did between the last tour, and Edwards death, as well as why Wolf seemed to be taking forever to release his album. A lot of really shitty stuff was posted here. I would think that would be enough to cause folks to pause, since they didn't know what was going on then, and almost certainly don't know what went on decades ago.

But maybe not....
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

12. Brett, I Coulda Hada VH, bsbll4 Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Exactly I mean how many things came up where we were all ripping into Wolfgang not releasing his album or the band not speaking in the last couple years, that we all look pretty fucking stupid now. I would think we’ve learned our lesson in passing judgment on things we know nothing about, but apparently not.

When I say “we” I mean the general consensus from the site, not meaning every single person here did that. I certainly did it from time to time myself, I can admit it. Was it wrong looking bad? Yeah it was. I don’t think I was as hard on him has some and I certainly would never attack him on social media,but I had my opinion that he was fucking around for no reason. Wrong.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

14. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    . . .
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 12:02 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

I think there are a lot of hurt feelings on Mike’s side of it and there is so much more going on than we could possibly understand in their relationship.
    Thanks Brett. I always appreciate when you weigh in on these speculative yet needles conversations.

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

None of us knows all of the details of what caused the rift between Ed and Mike. One thing I do know is that Mike has never had an unkind word to say about anyone. At least not publicly. To me, that speaks volumes about his character.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

17. bsbll4 Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Thanks Brett. I always appreciate when you weigh in on these speculative yet needles conversations.
    Well Mike brought it up so we're doing what people do on forums. Speculate on needless conversations.

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

The last time I ever saw the original lineup ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

20. jimmy812 Liked This Post