like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:19 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Lol, people acting like it matters if 20 yr olds would buy a VH boxset. People don't just stop listening to music when they hit 30. Or 40. Or 50.
    It does matter when half the population has no idea who you are. A VH boxset (or any similar release) might be a profitable venture if priced high enough but the market they would be aiming at is tiny. Like really tiny. I wouldn't buy a VH box set and I've seen the band a dozen times and I'm a moderator on the biggest VH fan site there is. The talk of "with Ed's death the band's profile hasn't been this high in 25 years" is just hogwash. The reason we bought VH stuff (tickets, new music, etc) is gone. If anyone thinks Al and Wolf are gonna spend months going through the vault and will find something that is going to appeal to the masses then they're fooling themselves. They'll find some stuff that might appeal to .1% of Van Halen fans (and I'm being kind going with that big a number), most of whom won't pay for it. As Wolf said himself, Ed released his best stuff. He wasn't sitting on his best material. Wolf should focus on his own stuff like he's doing.

Also, this release a box set thing isn't how VH works as a band. They've released one greatest hits record. That's it. They're not like a Def Leppard (who were noted earlier on box sets) that release a bloody greatest of package every 3 years with the same songs that were on the last one. I wish they would have done a better job keeping a history of the band, I'd love to have a great pro shot video of their last show. That would be cool. Fortunately, enough people took video themselves so have something like this

2. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Whatever Brett says.
    Favorite VH Song

None. Because I hate VH.
    Last Online

Today @ 12:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Default Sammy says Alex is in charge

Lol, people acting like it matters if 20 yr olds would buy a VH boxset. People don't just stop listening to music when they hit 30. Or 40. Or 50.
    Nobody said people stop listening to music. The point was made that VH’s stock has never been higher....

Young people are istening to their generation’s music. They don’t know who VH is.

But I take it you would have been in the market for some Al Jolsen and Benny Goodman compilations and B-sides, in 1983?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MF5150; 01.23.21 at 07:13 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Also, this release a box set thing isn't how VH works as a band. They've released one greatest hits record. That's it. They're not like a Def Leppard (who were noted earlier on box sets) that release a bloody greatest of package every 3 years with the same songs that were on the last one. I wish they would have done a better job keeping a history of the band, I'd love to have a great pro shot video of their last show. That would be cool. Fortunately, enough people took video themselves so have something like this
    vH actually released 2 greatest hits packages.

But your point about VH not being the type of band to release a box set is true. That's why I have a hard time believing that Al would ever lead the charge to go through the vault and put together something to put out to the public. He, like Eddie, never seemed to be interested in doing such a thing. Circumstances have, unfortunately, changed with Ed's passing, and I think the driving force now becomes Wolf. We've heard Wolf make promises that something will come out of the vaults, way down the road. I hate to make such a statement, but each day from Ed's passing is also another day of decreased relevance of Van Halen, especially from a business standpoint. But that won't stop anything from happening.

And to add to the popularity thing regarding the "demand" for a box set--of course there's not much demand outside of the die hards. But was there much demand for a boxset from Yes?
    I think a VH "vault" package could do relatively well today--how well do these things sell these days? IDK. How well did the latest Tom Petty package do?

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    vH actually released 2 greatest hits packages.

But your point about VH not being the type of band to release a box set is true. That's why I have a hard time believing that Al would ever lead the charge to go through the vault and put together something to put out to the public. He, like Eddie, never seemed to be interested in doing such a thing. Circumstances have, unfortunately, changed with Ed's passing, and I think the driving force now becomes Wolf. We've heard Wolf make promises that something will come out of the vaults, way down the road. I hate to make such a statement, but each day from Ed's passing is also another day of decreased relevance of Van Halen, especially from a business standpoint. But that won't stop anything from happening.

And to add to the popularity thing regarding the "demand" for a box set--of course there's not much demand outside of the die hards. But was there much demand for a boxset from Yes?
    I think a VH "vault" package could do relatively well today--how well do these things sell these days? IDK. How well did the latest Tom Petty package do?
    The 2004 stuff was so bad that i seem to have deleted that from my memory during my post. I love my brain.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

02.23.21 @ 01:06 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    31 Days Registered250 VHL Life Points

Do I think a VH boxset or other type of archival release is going to light up the Billboard charts and sell massive amounts of copies.....no, not at all. Is it going to be the younger kids and adults of today buying these types of sets........no, it will be the older diehards like myself.

However, I think some people are underestimating the demand for these types of boxsets, and that there is money to be be made on them. I happen to be a fan of Thin Lizzy, and they recently released a boxset of archival rarities (mostly unreleased recordings) that sold out almost instantly shortly after release. 7000 total copies were pressed, and I believe the average price paid at retail for the set was around $110. It had 7 CDs, a DVD, a nice hardback book, and some other materials in it.

There are different ways VH and/or WB could approach this. I'm not sure they would do just one big boxset of strictly unreleased material. I tend to think they would do a re-issue campaign for the albums where they created some type of boxset or deluxe edition for each. I would think an album like the debut album is a natural fit for such a super deluxe boxset, like what Metallica has been doing with their early albums so far. In addition to the debut album itself, it could include all the WB demos that were done, the Gene Simmons 'Zero' demos, other studio outakes of songs, a multi-track or soundboard live show from '78 or even earlier, and if possible a blu ray or DVD disc of live video footage (...there are rumors of a fully filmed '78 show from Osaka, Japan that exists....). It could also include a book of photos from those early days and the first tour. There is a lot that could be done, and I bet if WB pressed up 10000 copies of such a deluxe boxset that it would sell out quickly.

Some many other artists do this already, and it could be done for VH quite easily. I just have a strong feeling that this will be done for VH too in the not too distant future, at least for the albums up through 1984.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Do I think a VH boxset or other type of archival release is going to light up the Billboard charts and sell massive amounts of copies.....no, not at all. Is it going to be the younger kids and adults of today buying these types of sets........no, it will be the older diehards like myself.

However, I think some people are underestimating the demand for these types of boxsets, and that there is money to be be made on them. I happen to be a fan of Thin Lizzy, and they recently released a boxset of archival rarities (mostly unreleased recordings) that sold out almost instantly shortly after release. 7000 total copies were pressed, and I believe the average price paid at retail for the set was around $110. It had 7 CDs, a DVD, a nice hardback book, and some other materials in it.

There are different ways VH and/or WB could approach this. I'm not sure they would do just one big boxset of strictly unreleased material. I tend to think they would do a re-issue campaign for the albums where they created some type of boxset or deluxe edition for each. I would think an album like the debut album is a natural fit for such a super deluxe boxset, like what Metallica has been doing with their early albums so far. In addition to the debut album itself, it could include all the WB demos that were done, the Gene Simmons 'Zero' demos, other studio outakes of songs, a multi-track or soundboard live show from '78 or even earlier, and if possible a blu ray or DVD disc of live video footage (...there are rumors of a fully filmed '78 show from Osaka, Japan that exists....). It could also include a book of photos from those early days and the first tour. There is a lot that could be done, and I bet if WB pressed up 10000 copies of such a deluxe boxset that it would sell out quickly.

Some many other artists do this already, and it could be done for VH quite easily. I just have a strong feeling that this will be done for VH too in the not too distant future, at least for the albums up through 1984.
    10,000 sets? - sure. They could probably move that. The question would be if it's worth the effort. Assuming even a 200 dollar price, that's not gonna put much money in Al's and Wolf's pockets. If it happens this would be more just to provide a proper closure to the band rather than a financial winfall.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Whatever Brett says.
    Favorite VH Song

None. Because I hate VH.
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

I know itís been mentioned here a few times but weíre also kind of over looking the question, that is:

Whatís gonna be in the box set?

Cause if itís just the 12 studio albums, 2 greatest hits and a bunch of studio outtakes/demos....

Iím not dropping $200 on 14 albums I already have, to get outtakes or a bunch of broken thoughts/ideas that Ed and Al never thought were good enough to make an album, in the first place.

What I believe they should do is, when theyíre ready, release a few things every month - digitally.

Tease the next months releases and then drop. Repeat that for a year.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

02.23.21 @ 01:06 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    31 Days Registered250 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    10,000 sets? - sure. They could probably move that. The question would be if it's worth the effort. Assuming even a 200 dollar price, that's not gonna put much money in Al's and Wolf's pockets. If it happens this would be more just to provide a proper closure to the band rather than a financial winfall.

I'm thinking WB would have more impetus to do this, rather than Al and Wolf driving it and doing it to line their own pockets. Beyond physical production costs, WB would have to pay to have any audio material mastered and assembled, as well as graphic artwork which I assume they have people on staff who are salaried and already do this type of work.

I don't know the business arrangements between WB and VH members (Al and Wolf....and Dave), so I am not sure what WB can do with or without the involvement of the band. I just think for all the archival material from 1984 and earlier that WB already has or that exists in vaults outside of 5150 (i.e., Pacific Archives) that this could be prepared very easily and doesn't require any heavy lifting from Al, Wolf, or Dave. I'm sure WB would like their involvement on some level, but it is not absolutely necessary.

All the later stuff that exists in 5150 is a different beast, and it appears Wolf and Al have direct control over those recordings so I have less faith that material from there will be released anytime in the near future.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.29.21 @ 10:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

VH missed the boat on that format, it's just the reality of it.

People consume music in a completely different way.
    Nobody, except Gen X & Boomers, are gonna bother to sort through CD's and display
    giant box sets in their basement.

That mid 90's period, was the prime time for that.
    There was this huge resurgence of nostalgia, where even KISS became legendary again.
    All the grunge bands were into their 70's influences, and somehow, those bands invoked
    some serious nostalgia that translated into demand for that particular brand.

Fuck, we couldn't even keep the Zombies boxet, in stock.

That's not happening with Gen Z, who doesn't even know who U2 or Pearl Jam are, much
    less VH.

By the time they get around to sorting through the old tapes, mulling it over, etc.
    It will be like half a decade or more later.

Coulda will be like 85, at that point, and that's the market for that kinda thing.

Jape, it's your 60th birthday, what can we get you?

I'd like the new VH boxset on Rhino, that just came out....
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Nobody said people stop listening to music. The point was made that VH’s stock has never been higher....

Young people are istening to their generation’s music. They don’t know who VH is.

But I take it you would have been in the market for some Al Jolsen and Benny Goodman compilations and B-sides, in 1983?

Not my point, but go ahead and be a smartass. As was said in the post right before mine, somebody bought a couple boxsets last year by Def Leppard and somebody else I can't recall. My point is, not that I think there is going to be a boxset, but that to sit here and say it is fruitless and worthless endeavor for VH to do even though bands of equal or even lesser stature than VH still release boxsets all the time is a bit ridiculous. I realize we VH fans were conditioned to always expect the worst the last 20 years, but the constant Eeyore attitude of some on here is a little comical.

Again, I doubt very much that we will get a boxset, but if so many other bands release boxsets than certainly VH could as well. There always seems to be this mindset on here of fans who want to be extremely dismissive of their favorite band. But, hey, VH doesn't have a legacy anywhere near that of the Thin Lizzys and Def Leppards of the world. The Links tells me so.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Not my point, but go ahead and be a smartass. As was said in the post right before mine, somebody bought a couple boxsets last year by Def Leppard and somebody else I can't recall. My point is, not that I think there is going to be a boxset, but that to sit here and say it is fruitless and worthless endeavor for VH to do even though bands of equal or even lesser stature than VH still release boxsets all the time is a bit ridiculous. I realize we VH fans were conditioned to always expect the worst the last 20 years, but the constant Eeyore attitude of some on here is a little comical.

Again, I doubt very much that we will get a boxset, but if so many other bands release boxsets than certainly VH could as well. There always seems to be this mindset on here of fans who want to be extremely dismissive of their favorite band. But, hey, VH doesn't have a legacy anywhere near that of the Thin Lizzys and Def Leppards of the world. The Links tells me so.
    Yes, the past 20+ years have conditioned us VH fans to not expect much from them. But, with Wolf's influence, we did get an album, 3 tours and a live disc. So there is hope with his involvement. And we also do not know what kind of "plans," if any, were part of Ed's last wishes. Obviously, we die-hards will eat up whatever we get, outside of the repackaged albums we already have.
    Like you, I remain doubtful of a box set from the 5150 vaults, but, at the same time, I'll always be a little hopeful something emerges. Might be a cathartic thing for Alex to busy himself with. Whatever he ultimately decides to do, I'm fine with.

13. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Whatever Brett says.
    Favorite VH Song

None. Because I hate VH.
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

There always seems to be this mindset on here of fans who want to be extremely dismissive of their favorite band. But, hey, VH doesn't have a legacy anywhere near that of the Thin Lizzys and Def Leppards of the world. The Links tells me so.
    Instead of ďdismissive ofĒ, Iíd replace that with ďrealistic aboutĒ.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:56 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

If we all get together and keep saying "there is no way Van Halen does this", they will, just to be contrarian.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 12:35 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default Sammy says Alex is in charge

I think the irony in this JD is that you look at Van Halen as a band that does nothing like anyone else, but then when it comes to stuff like this you want them to do exactly what every other band does. I donít get it.

I think box sets are completely stupid Iíve never bought one. Not one from any band ever. I donít need all their albums again on four discs instead of a dozen albums or something I already have the songs on. And I donít want to waste money on two or three extra songs, thatís not worth it to me. Iím not gonna pay $200 for that and if Van Halen wants to do that, Iíll figure out a way to get the three extra songs online somehow for free.

Yeah I didnít really enjoy buying the two best of albums that had a couple additional songs. But at least they were just single or double albums, not an entire box set that I was forced to buy. It was bad enough having to buy those songs again yes.

Explain to me the logic here. Why do you want Van Halen to do something that everyone else does and rip off fans for something we already have?

You know darn well Van Halen isnít going to do what Thin Lizzy did and put together seven discs of unreleased material for us to have. That will never ever ever ever happen. So what is your excitement in hoping for a box set? The reason bands like Thin Lizzy do it is because they donít have a gigantic fan base, so doing something interesting for the fans they do have is something worthwhile that could net the band members or their families a little money. Van Halen doesnít need to do anything like that, hence they donít. The amount of royalties Van Halen gets on their music is 10x what Thin Lizzy makes if not more. They donít need the money.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

17. MF5150, Bad to the Bone Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I think the irony in this JD is that you look at Van Halen as a band that does nothing like anyone else, but then when it comes to stuff like this you want them to do exactly what every other band does. I don’t get it.

I think box sets are completely stupid I’ve never bought one. Not one from any band ever. I don’t need all their albums again on four discs instead of a dozen albums or something I already have the songs on. And I don’t want to waste money on two or three extra songs, that’s not worth it to me. I’m not gonna pay $200 for that and if Van Halen wants to do that, I’ll figure out a way to get the three extra songs online somehow for free.

Yeah I didn’t really enjoy buying the two best of albums that had a couple additional songs. But at least they were just single or double albums, not an entire box set that I was forced to buy. It was bad enough having to buy those songs again yes.

Explain to me the logic here. Why do you want Van Halen to do something that everyone else does and rip off fans for something we already have?

You know darn well Van Halen isn’t going to do what Thin Lizzy did and put together seven discs of unreleased material for us to have. That will never ever ever ever happen. So what is your excitement in hoping for a box set? The reason bands like Thin Lizzy do it is because they don’t have a gigantic fan base, so doing something interesting for the fans they do have is something worthwhile that could net the band members or their families a little money. Van Halen doesn’t need to do anything like that, hence they don’t. The amount of royalties Van Halen gets on their music is 10x what Thin Lizzy makes if not more. They don’t need the money.
    Uhh, show me where I said I wanted a box set. I was just pointing out the absurd negativity that consumes so many people. VH can't do that, they can't do this. They are, though you would never know it from some on here, one of the most popular and successful bands ever. But, hey, gotta be "realistic."

I don't want a box set, but I do think VH could put one out if they wanted. I'd rather have unreleased tracks, demos, live footage from the CVH era, etc. Maybe we get nothing, and that's ok, too. I wouldn't blame Alex one bit if he didn't want to do anything after his loss. I simply disagree with the "can't can't can't" attitude with regards to VH.

19. jimmy812 Liked This Post