01.26.21 @ 04:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    250 VHL Life Points31 Days Registered

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    What that other guy says at the end is so true, when he talks about having the foresight to sit Dave and Ed down and say to them this chemistry you guys have is lightning in a bottle and don't let all the bullshit years down the line ruin it. There was something between Ed's guitar and Dave's voice and the songs they wrote together that just never happened again, all due respect to Sam and Gary it just wasn't the same level of magic and timeless music, plain and simple.
    I think Ed had a better chemistry with Sammy in live.
    It's due to the fact that Sammy was a better live singer, but not only.
    The two were complementary in many ways, wheter it be in guitar duet, voice/guitar duet - remember the song Best of both worlds on LWAN - or generally in term of personnality.
    As much as i love Dave in studio, as much as i think he was very perfectible in live.

2. VH1986, MD 5150 Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 04:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Yup. I think the Brothers were never too keen on the sword dance, assless chaps, and other Dave-ism. Maybe you could say they were fans of Dave, but not so much of Diamond.
    Plus from all accounts, Dave would tell everyone what to wear (even Mike complained about this). When Sammy joined, everyone could wear what they wanted onstage, I think it made a difference from their perspective. Sammy was more like one of the musicians, part of the band, whereas Dave was the MC, standing out from the rest of the band. Both were well suited for their respective eras.
    Little Dreamer

4. VH1986, MD 5150 Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Dreams
    Last Online

Today @ 07:24 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Elite Daily PosterWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsMaster Praiser3 Months Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Yup. I think the Brothers were never too keen on the sword dance, assless chaps, and other Dave-ism. Maybe you could say they were fans of Dave, but not so much of Diamond.
    Plus from all accounts, Dave would tell everyone what to wear (even Mike complained about this). When Sammy joined, everyone could wear what they wanted onstage, I think it made a difference from their perspective. Sammy was more like one of the musicians, part of the band, whereas Dave was the MC, standing out from the rest of the band. Both were well suited for their respective eras.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Dave became too enthralled with his clothes, high kicks and swordplay, I think he forgot he was supposed to actually sing the songs. Van Halen termed themselves as "band new" during the LWAN interviews, that invigoration showed a brotherly cohesiveness in the band...something that was not there with Dave. When Dave came back to Van Halen it still wasn't there with Eddie and Dave. Proud Pop was standing on "Top of the World" playing onstage with Wolf.

6. VH1986 Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 09:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MD 5150 View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

Dave became too enthralled with his clothes, high kicks and swordplay, I think he forgot he was supposed to actually sing the songs. Van Halen termed themselves as "band new" during the LWAN interviews, that invigoration showed a brotherly cohesiveness in the band...something that was not there with Dave. When Dave came back to Van Halen it still wasn't there with Eddie and Dave. Proud Pop was standing on "Top of the World" playing onstage with Wolf.
    Eddie and Sammy were BFFs. Until they weren't.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I could see Dave suggesting outfits in the club days and maybe the first tour or two. After all, he was still trying to "sell" the band. But I don't think that continued post 1980. I can't see Dave signing off on anything Ed wore on those tours.

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 09:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I could see Dave suggesting outfits in the club days and maybe the first tour or two. After all, he was still trying to "sell" the band. But I don't think that continued post 1980. I can't see Dave signing off on anything Ed wore on those tours.
    Dave was definitely better at marketing the band than Ed, Al and Mike. Also, Sammy was much better at the business side of things than Ed, Al and Mike.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

10. jimmy812, Daisy Hill Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by MD 5150 View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

In 2007-08 Dave looked like you'd want the rock star singer of Van Halen to look...at least at the shows I saw. But by 2015, he had gone full Vegas shiny shirts with the sparkles. lol

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Dave was definitely better at marketing the band than Ed, Al and Mike. Also, Sammy was much better at the business side of things than Ed, Al and Mike.
    Absolutely. Dave knew what it took to get the name out there. They just played and played and played. And, it didn't hurt that he had a guitar phenom to his left every night on stage.

13. I Coulda Hada VH, Raldo Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 08:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed' View Post
    I think Ed had a better chemistry with Sammy in live.
    It's due to the fact that Sammy was a better live singer, but not only.
    The two were complementary in many ways, wheter it be in guitar duet, voice/guitar duet - remember the song Best of both worlds on LWAN - or generally in term of personnality.
    As much as i love Dave in studio, as much as i think he was very perfectible in live.
    Agree to disagree.

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Today @ 09:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Dave had a lot more ambition than the rest and certainly a lot more confidence. Dave is also a really smart dude. Not that the rest of them aren't smart, but Dave sees the world differently. I think Dave is a glass half full guy and Eddie was a glass half empty guy. Which is understandable given their backgrounds. Dave wasn't doing this so that they could drive shitty cars around LA to club gigs. He recognized the talent around him and knew that if he hitched his wagon to THAT and made the right business moves, they could go a lot farther the clubs.

If it hadn't been for Dave, Eddie certainly would have been "discovered" at one of the club gigs and ended up in another band (probably a successful band) and I don't know if he would have been happy with that because he always said there was no need for him to do a solo album because on every VH album he got to do what he wanted anyway. Wouldn't have been that way in someone else's band. and Alex might have ended up the same or as a successful session player. but Dave was the one who figured out the sum was greater than the parts and he wanted IN.

I thought it was interesting in Templeman's book that he talked about how hard it was to get Dave's vocals up to the level they needed at the first recordings. So it wasn't that Dave was preoccupied with prancing around the stage and his clothes and posing and that was why his vocals suffered onstage, Dave's vocals suffered when he was alone in a recording booth as well

If I remember correctly Templeman said that with Eddie, the thing was figuring out HOW to record him and then it was a piece of cake. With MIke, he didn't have to worry or give him much attention or direction because Mike was solid and just did his thing. Alex was a little inconsistent and that was hard to deal with and some of the recordings still bother Ted for being less than they should have been.

But Roth was the problem child staying after school day after day for extra help and Templeman was worried that they would never get it down and wondered if they needed a different singer.

But Roth toughed it out and worked with Templeman until they had something. Roth carried no delusions that they were making art. Roth wanted to be a rock star and just focused on what had to be done.

16. VH1986 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 02:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I know its likely not apples and apples but I kind of view Dave and Eddie as Ozzy and Randy. Underdogs. Didn't have a path but simply forged their own. When Sammy joined VH, it was like Jake E Lee joining Ozzy. There was now a brand and Jake had to fit the brand. It was far more corporate and serious. Doesn't mean either suck or are subpar but I simply believe when you are going against the world, something magical occurs.

Yes I know VH was against the world with 5150 and no coincidence its by far their best album with that lineup. However sleeping on silk sheets doesn't give you the eye of the tiger either

Some Kind of Alien
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

Today @ 09:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    RookieMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum Rookie-Of-The-Year

Eddie and Sammy were BFFs. Until they weren't.
    Perhaps it is better to have been BFFs and lost than to never have been BFFs at all.
    "To hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is." King Edward Lodewijk Van Halen

19. Daisy Hill, MD 5150 Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

Today @ 09:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Knight Of Da Roundtable25,000 VHL Life PointsMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    Perhaps it is better to have been BFFs and lost than to never have been BFFs at all.
    Like Jonathan & David...to get Old Testament
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"