Patty Smyth Interview: Why Eddie Van Halen Asked Me to Replace David Lee Roth | PoR - Page 5
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  73
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 11:34 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King250,000 VHL Life Points400,000 VHL Life Points

Default Patty Smyth Interview: Why Eddie Van Halen Asked Me to Replace David Lee Roth | PoR

Why did Scandal put featuring Patty Smyth in their name? I always found that weird. Isnít she just a member of the band?

Just to clarify, I do think Patty Smyth had a really big powerful voice. She just would not work in VH. Iím not slagging her as a singer.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

08.14.21 @ 09:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Why did Scandal put featuring Patty Smyth in their name? I always found that weird. Isn’t she just a member of the band?

I remember them being just Scandal back in the day on MTV. Were they always "featuring Patty Smyth"? I see that on stuff lately posted around here, but don't remember that from the 80's era.

I don't know if the band was equal parts or if it was essentially her band to begin with. Maybe as time went on and after some success then her manager or execs got it in her head that she was the shining star and everyone else replaceable, as tends to happen quite a bit in the business. Maybe it was always the Patty Smyth show though. I don't know. Not a band I ever paid attention to.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 11:34 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King250,000 VHL Life Points400,000 VHL Life Points

Default Patty Smyth Interview: Why Eddie Van Halen Asked Me to Replace David Lee Roth | PoR

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    I remember them being just Scandal back in the day on MTV. Were they always "featuring Patty Smyth"? I see that on stuff lately posted around here, but don't remember that from the 80's era.

I don't know if the band was equal parts or if it was essentially her band to begin with. Maybe as time went on and after some success then her manager or execs got it in her head that she was the shining star and everyone else replaceable, as tends to happen quite a bit in the business. Maybe it was always the Patty Smyth show though. I don't know. Not a band I ever paid attention to.
    I definitely remember the video said her name and Iím pretty confident that the album does it that way too. I am pretty sure they only have one album. I think The Warrior was their only LP.

Obviously her looks and her voice were the selling point of the band, but normally you donít see that with someone making their first album.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

08.14.21 @ 09:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Sounds like it was from the start then. I assume that she along with maybe her manager must have formed the band around her then.

But nooo. I just googled and got this..

Scandal was formed in New York City in 1981 by guitarist Zack Smith. The other initial members included: bassist Ivan Elias (1950Ė1995), guitarist Keith Mack, keyboardist Benjy King, (1953-2012) drummer Frankie LaRocka (1954-2005) (later replaced by Thommy Price), and singer Patty Smyth.

So, maybe she was a known commodity when she joined and maybe said she'd join only if they added the "featuring Patty Smyth" bit, or something. I don't know. Maybe they thought she was such hot stuff that they should put her name on it. I dunno.

I will investigate this Scandal mystery no further.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:25 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

She should probably start playing ATBL live now.

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:23 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

I definitely remember the video said her name and I’m pretty confident that the album does it that way too. I am pretty sure they only have one album. I think The Warrior was their only LP.

Obviously her looks and her voice were the selling point of the band, but normally you don’t see that with someone making their first album.
    Smyth with Scandal released two albums and at least one 1982 EP prior to the first album which contained "Goodbye To You." The second album released in 1987 is called "Never Enough." Like the first one "Warrior," most of the songs are written by other songwriters including Tom Waits and Nick Gilder and features guest musicians like Magic Dick from The J Geils Band. It doesn't really appear that Scandal was a "band" with a stable lineup, more like a catch-all name for the various musicians backing her at any given time.

According to Discogs, she's released two "solo" albums, one in 1992 and one supposedly this year called "It's About Time" but I can't find any info on it.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 09:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Why did Scandal put featuring Patty Smyth in their name? I always found that weird. Isn’t she just a member of the band?

Just to clarify, I do think Patty Smyth had a really big powerful voice. She just would not work in VH. I’m not slagging her as a singer.
    Its kind of like why does Yngwie add the J to his name?

To separate himself form all the other Yngwie's out there. Same with Scandal