Patty Smyth Interview: Why Eddie Van Halen Asked Me to Replace David Lee Roth | PoR - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  73
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    . . .
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 11:48 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    PATTY SMYTH 2 "y"s and a lot of hairspray. Married to John McEnroe power pop singer from the 80's

PATTI SMITH 2 "i"s and the armpit hair you mentioned. was married to guitarist Fred "Sonic" Smith until his death. avante guard feminist punk rock activist poet whose best known work is the song Because the Night (covered by Springsteen) the album Horses, the song People Have the power and the book "Just Kids" about her time with controversial artist Robert Mapplethorpe

same-ish name. Couldn't be more different
    Belive me, they know the difference... but it gets trotted out every time Smyth is mentioned.

For the record I regularly enjoy Smith's entire catalog which is loaded with amazing music and poetry... and zero Smyth albums... who were a flash in the pan Mtv offering at best.

Don't bother with how much Smith sucks... she's well hated here at a VH site.

2. Rokgtar, AsIs, Daisy Hill Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:25 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

Ha ha

Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Van Halen replacing Dave with a woman in 1985 would’ve been one of the dumbest fucking things ever.

Even my wife who is like the biggest woman libber on on the planet thinks that would have been bizarre.

Scandal was a pretty nothing band frankly and certainly not the Van Halen vibe I don’t care how good of a singer she was. Blech. Whether or not she’s cute is irrelevant. And yes I’m sure her and Ed hooked up. Neither Val or Ed were admittedly faithful in their marriage.

You think people didn’t like Sammy Hagar and Van Halen. Think about a woman fronting the band in 1985. Oh my god they would have been absolutely ridiculed. All you +1 guys are funny though.
    Lmao, you have to remember Hberg's sarcasm. His whole +1 post was pure classic Hberg sarcasm.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 09:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Likely people heard this before but Eddie jamming with Scandal

6. Raldo, Wruff_ajax Liked This Post
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:25 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Van Halen replacing Dave with a woman in 1985 would’ve been one of the dumbest fucking things ever.

Even my wife who is like the biggest woman libber on on the planet thinks that would have been bizarre.

Scandal was a pretty nothing band frankly and certainly not the Van Halen vibe I don’t care how good of a singer she was. Blech. Whether or not she’s cute is irrelevant. And yes I’m sure her and Ed hooked up. Neither Val or Ed were admittedly faithful in their marriage.

You think people didn’t like Sammy Hagar and Van Halen. Think about a woman fronting the band in 1985. Oh my god they would have been absolutely ridiculed. All you +1 guys are funny though.
    I don't think think they hooked up. Nevertheless the relationship nearly ended their marriage in the mid 80's. Valerie told the same story about hopping on the tour bus that Patty told. Valerie and Patty became friendly and Valerie trusted Patty to the point where she had no problem with Patty staying at their house while she was out of town working. At the time they first formed this friendship Patty was married to her first husband and pregnant but Valerie wrote that after Patty had her baby and she divorced Richard Hell, Ed became "obsessed" with her and would constantly mention how Patty wore her hair or how she dressed. If you look at photos from the time, Valerie's hair style suddenly changed to one very similar to Patty's. In fact, Valerie claims Ed was in love with Patty which understandably made Valerie feel insecure and led to her having a brief fling with the drummer of a band her brother was involved in

There was no mention of why the friendship cooled but Valerie did say that she ran into Patty 20 years later in New York and introduced her to someone by saying something like "This is the woman my husband was in love with" Which made everything extremely awkward but Patty responded that no, she was just a friend who was trying to help Ed.

Sammy really was the right guy for that band at the right time. If they hadn't gotten together at that time God knows what would have happened to Ed. I think Sam had a really stabilizing influence on the band ( he was older and married and had been around the block in that brutal business) and by extension stablilized Ed's life. If the Sam years hadn't happened, Ed's life would have been very different. I would have bet that his marriage wouldn't have survived because the way Valerie described it at the time it was unsustainable. and without a lead singer the band might have dissolved and that kind of lack of focus could have been a disaster.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 06:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I don't think think they hooked up. Nevertheless the relationship nearly ended their marriage in the mid 80's. Valerie told the same story about hopping on the tour bus that Patty told. Valerie and Patty became friendly and Valerie trusted Patty to the point where she had no problem with Patty staying at their house while she was out of town working. At the time they first formed this friendship Patty was married to her first husband and pregnant but Valerie wrote that after Patty had her baby and she divorced Richard Hell, Ed became "obsessed" with her and would constantly mention how Patty wore her hair or how she dressed. If you look at photos from the time, Valerie's hair style suddenly changed to one very similar to Patty's. In fact, Valerie claims Ed was in love with Patty which understandably made Valerie feel insecure and led to her having a brief fling with the drummer of a band her brother was involved in

There was no mention of why the friendship cooled but Valerie did say that she ran into Patty 20 years later in New York and introduced her to someone by saying something like "This is the woman my husband was in love with" Which made everything extremely awkward but Patty responded that no, she was just a friend who was trying to help Ed.

Sammy really was the right guy for that band at the right time. If they hadn't gotten together at that time God knows what would have happened to Ed. I think Sam had a really stabilizing influence on the band ( he was older and married and had been around the block in that brutal business) and by extension stablilized Ed's life. If the Sam years hadn't happened, Ed's life would have been very different. I would have bet that his marriage wouldn't have survived because the way Valerie described it at the time it was unsustainable. and without a lead singer the band might have dissolved and that kind of lack of focus could have been a disaster.
    So that was before McEnroe, right? Coz that's one guy you wouldn't want to mess with...

"Ed, you can't be serious, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!"
    Little Dreamer

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.18.21 @ 03:38 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points

Patty Smyth seems cool and down to earth, and so does Sass Jordan, the other woman who almost joined Van Halen. But come on, a woman singing in Van Halen would have been a disaster. Imagine a female singing Hot For Teacher, Dirty Movies, Everybody Wants Some!!, and Drop Dead Legs. And then Jordan coming in and having to deal with Good Enough, Black and Blue, and Poundcake--just ridiculous.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

10. Daisy Hill Liked This Post
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    So that was before McEnroe, right? Coz that's one guy you wouldn't want to mess with...

"Ed, you can't be serious, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!"
    LOL yeah Hell was the first husband.

I do believe that McEnroe was friendly with Eddie long before he married Patty Smyth in the late 90's.

Remember McEnroe's "musical career"? After he retired from tennis in the early 90's he formed a band and toured. My guess is that they were awful. Before that he was a good friend of Vitas Gerulaitus or however you spell that guy's name, and Vitas was known as a good guitar player and he was a friend of Eddie's. Eddie gave him a guitar that was believed to have been used by Ed on stage in 82 and I was auctioned off by the Gerulaitus estate at some point not too long ago. So I think Eddie knew John thru Gurulaitus starting in the early 80's not thru Patty Smyth

Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    Patty Smyth seems cool and down to earth, and so does Sass Jordan, the other woman who almost joined Van Halen. But come on, a woman singing in Van Halen would have been a disaster. Imagine a female singing Hot For Teacher, Dirty Movies, Everybody Wants Some!!, and Drop Dead Legs. And then Jordan coming in and having to deal with Good Enough, Black and Blue, and Poundcake--just ridiculous.
    Well, Sam never sang any of those CVH songs, so I'm sure Patty or Sass would've only sang the songs they felt comfortable with, too.

13. Wruff_ajax Liked This Post
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I wouldn't care if you threw Ann and Nancy Wilson in there. A woman singing lead would mean you would have to throw much of their early work. You are right. a woman couldn't sing Beautiful Girls or DDL or Dirty Movies. maybe Hot for Teacher and EWS but what woman would want to? They are not exactly demanding to sing but they have a totally different kind of feel. Maybe Joan Jett or Lita Ford could have pulled them off but eh what disaster.

15. BlindtotheWorld Liked This Post
    Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Again, the band pretty much jettisoned almost all their early work when Sam joined, so the same probably would've happened if Patty joined, as well. If Sam wouldn't even sing HFT, EWS, etc, than no reason to think Patty would've either. But that version of Whole Lotta Love she did was pretty cool.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:25 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

John McEnroe said in an interview that he suggested to Patty that they should form a band together... she said cool; how about you and I play tennis doubles professionally? He replied, “uh, no, you can’t do that, you’re not a pro”. She said well, that’s why you can’t play in my band!

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 12:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Belive me, they know the difference... but it gets trotted out every time Smyth is mentioned.

For the record I regularly enjoy Smith's entire catalog which is loaded with amazing music and poetry... and zero Smyth albums... who were a flash in the pan Mtv offering at best.

Don't bother with how much Smith sucks... she's well hated here at a VH site.
    Not everywhere here hates Patty Smith ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

19. Daisy Hill Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Right now. 5150. Me wise magic
    Last Online

10.17.21 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Great singer, but a female would’ve never suited VH. I just can’t visualise VH on tour with a girl out front in a Lace top and skirt (which is what was Patty’s look).
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

21. BlindtotheWorld Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 12:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

My favorite song from Scandal ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"