Hear Eddie Van Halen get cosmic on a newly unearthed cover of Hendrix’s If 6 Was 9 - Page 7
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  89
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Agree to disagree.
    THere was always "noise" parts in VH, but they fit well with the songs. A thing like Intruder was key to sending across the message that "yup there are very pop numbers on the record, but don't u think we went soft."
    Little Dreamer

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 01:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

All music is noise, otherwise we wouldn't be able to hear it.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Today @ 01:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Default Hear Eddie Van Halen get cosmic on a newly unearthed cover of Hendrix’s If 6 Was 9

The fact that Hendrix for about 50 years was just handed the GOAT title without even ANY debate does mean he is at least a little bit overrated. Doesn't take away from him being legendary or amazing to say so. But if you can't even at least concede that point then so be it.
    This is all subjective so I'm not trying to be combative or argumentative in the slightest. But here are my thoughts...

There's nothing to cede and there was little debate because the world hadn't seen anybody like him and hasn't since.

But if you're going to make the case for a guitarist being the greatest of all time, the arguments for Hendrix and Ed would be very similar. It's hard to argue that Hendrix wasnt/isnt the GOAT, but of course there can be a debate. There are plenty, as evidenced on this very site (albeit, from some who are so blinded by their allegiance to Ed) who don't think Hendrix was "all that".

He changed the way everybody looked at how the electric guitar could be played and how it could sound. Clapton did it before him but not nearly to the same extent. Eric did it by plugging a Les Paul into a cranked Marshall. Nobody had done that before 1966. Ed did it after Hendrix in 1978 and really, nobody has done it since.

So, no. Hendrix was not overrated. Hendrix was a vibe. He was an experience. He was other worldly at times. All before those adjectives would have ever been used to describe a guitar player. He was truly an original. "Hendrix is overrated" has been an all-too common thing to say about such a revolutionary player. And if you say it about Hendrix, you best not freak out if somebody says it about Ed.

Because they were both the catalysts for seismic shifts in the guitar world.

Hendrix is called the GOAT by many because he was the first. Literally the first to be what he was and to do what he did. There was virtually nothing before him aside from Clapton.

Hendrix was the Big Bang and Eddie was Evolution.
    Last edited by MF5150; 11.28.20 at 07:18 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

4. I Coulda Hada VH, VH1986 Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 01:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    This is all subjective so I'm not trying to be combative or argumentative in the slightest. But here are my thoughts...

There's nothing to cede and there was little debate because the world hadn't seen anybody like him and hasn't since.

But if you're going to make the case for a guitarist being the greatest of all time, the arguments for Hendrix and Ed would be very similar. It's hard to argue that Hendrix wasnt/isnt the GOAT, but of course there is a debate. There are plenty, as evidenced on this very site (albeit, from some who are so blinded by their allegiance to Ed) who don't think Hendrix was "all that".

He changed the way everybody looked at how the electric guitar could be played. Clapton did it before him but not nearly to the same extent. Ed did it after Hendrix and really, nobody has done it since.

So, no. Hendrix was not overrated. That's been an all-too common thing to say for such a revolutionary player. And if you say it about Hendrix, you best not freak out if somebody says it about Ed.

Because they were both the catalysts for seismic shifts in the guitar world.
    Very well put. Whatever one may think of Jimi or Eddie, it is pretty hard to dispute that they are the two most innovative and influential rock & roll guitarists of all-time.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

6. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 05:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Very well put. Whatever one may think of Jimi or Eddie, it is pretty hard to dispute that they are the two most innovative and influential rock & roll guitarists of all-time.
    I would agree. Where Ed took it far beyond Hendrix ever did was Ed not only changed people's perceptions of what guitars and amps could sound like, he literally changed the way guitar companies built guitars. As Les Paul himself correctly put it, when it came to being massively influential on how guitars were built and mass produced, there was Les himself, Leo Fender, and Edward Van Halen.

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

01.02.21 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I would agree. Where Ed took it far beyond Hendrix ever did was Ed not only changed people's perceptions of what guitars and amps could sound like, he literally changed the way guitar companies built guitars. As Les Paul himself correctly put it, when it came to being massively influential on how guitars were built and mass produced, there was Les himself, Leo Fender, and Edward Van Halen.

Really, if I had to pick three that changed the game for rock guitar, it's Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen.

Out of those three, I personally think Eddie was the most complete package. His songwriting, rhythm playing and lead playing were spectacular. Not to mention everything he contributed to gear as you mentioned. I'm also a fan of guitarists who tune their guitar. But I will say I burned myself out with Ed and I hardly ever listen to VH stuff now but his influence is in my playing and always will be. I find myself listening to and figuring out Guthrie Trapp or Josh Smith licks now.

Out of the generation of players that came before Ed I would pick Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page over Hendrix all day every day. But, it's all subjective.

I think Marty Friedman made an interesting comment about Hendrix. I guess he never got the "Hendrix vibe" either.

In an interview with Ultimate Guitar, Friedman says he'd "rather chew glass than listen to Hendrix." He adds, "I never got Hendrix. When I think of Hendrix, an image comes in my mind about a lot of hippies rolling around in mud tripping on acid and it just doesn't turn me on at all. And all that noise and feedback and I'm like, 'Play in tune.' I'm a big tuning guy and that's probably why I don't like Dylan because things go out of tune and it kills me."

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough
    Last Online

Today @ 02:44 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by sinners__swing View Post

Really, if I had to pick three that changed the game for rock guitar, it's Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen.

Out of the generation of players that came before Ed I would pick Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page over Hendrix all day every day. But, it's all subjective.

I think Marty Friedman made an interesting comment about Hendrix. I guess he never got the "Hendrix vibe" either.

In an interview with Ultimate Guitar, Friedman says he'd "rather chew glass than listen to Hendrix." He adds, "I never got Hendrix. When I think of Hendrix, an image comes in my mind about a lot of hippies rolling around in mud tripping on acid and it just doesn't turn me on at all. And all that noise and feedback and I'm like, 'Play in tune.' I'm a big tuning guy and that's probably why I don't like Dylan because things go out of tune and it kills me."
    1 Agree about the game changers section.

2 Out of the generation before Ed, I would pick Ritchie Blackmore over Hendrix "all day everyday".

3 Marty's opinion... Dear lord. Back in late 60s there was no Floyd Rose and locking tuners, Boss tuner pedals, and Jimi played psychedelic stuff that allowed to be a little out of tune here and there. Not the case when it comes to Marty and 80s shredding.

Plus, I bet Marty never really chew glass. This is one of those owerblown, ridiculous comments.
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"If you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup" - EVH, 1996

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post

2 Out of the generation before Ed, I would pick Ritchie Blackmore over Hendrix "all day everyday".

3 Marty's opinion... Dear lord. Back in late 60s there was no Floyd Rose and locking tuners, Boss tuner pedals, and Jimi played psychedelic stuff that allowed to be a little out of tune here and there. Not the case when it comes to Marty and 80s shredding.

Plus, I bet Marty never really chew glass. This is one of those owerblown, ridiculous comments.
    Hendrix played in tune.

That’s always been a moronic assessment from detractors of Hendrix.

It’s also one I used to agree with back in the day, I admit. Mainly while the only guitar players I cared for were EVH, Eddie Van Halen and Edward van Halen.

Plus, Marty giving his critical opinion on Hendrix is like Rachel Ray criticizing Julia Child. Everybody’s entitled to an opinion, but not every opinion carriers the same amount of merit and weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Hendrix fell out of tune quite frequently live. It's a moronic assessment to say he didn't. Either that or your ears don't fucking work. Yeah he fell out because he used the bar, I know, he still fell out of tune frequently and would continue to play. " I used to agree he played out of tune but then, uh, um, my hearing changed, my ears matured or something, and now I don't agree with that assessment any more". You're either in tune or not, the recordings don't change over time.

As far Marty I don't care for his playing. I included his comment because I knew some people would have a melt down over it, like a wind up toy. A man child. But then again I would love to hear anybody in this thread play anything as well as Marty........... crickets.

Even Ed wasn't a big Hendrix fan.

Hendrix detractors. lmao. Grow up. Oh I forgot difference of opinion in this day and age is a problem.

Some people think Hendrix is overrated, deal with, live with it, fuck off.

Thank you and enjoy your stay.
    Last edited by sinners__swing; 11.29.20 at 08:03 AM.

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post

Nobody would agree more with your number 2 opinion than Richie himself. But don't be a Hendrix detractor. You will annoy the Hendrix SJW's in the thread. You will also disrupt the psychedelic space time continuum.

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough
    Last Online

Today @ 02:44 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by sinners__swing View Post
    Nobody would agree more with your number 2 opinion than Richie himself. But don't be a Hendrix detractor. You will annoy the Hendrix SJW's in the thread. You will also disrupt the psychedelic space time continuum.
    His name is RiTchie, Ritchie Blackmore. On a sidenote, remember we have Yngwie J Malmsteen, not to be confused with all the other Yngwie Malmsteens.
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"If you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup" - EVH, 1996

14. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Hendrix was a solo act, he wrote everything including the lyrics, sang. It's hard to compare. We could just say they both rock? No?
    Little Dreamer

16. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    We could just say they both rock? No?
    Absolutely. Because they both were revolutionary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Today @ 01:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

There's not really a debate because Hendrix, Blackmore, Clapton they're all amazing. But one could argue, back then, and before them, the best players were the jazz guys. The had way more speed and technical ability.

19. James in New York Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Today @ 01:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post
    Never heard this. That is incredible!!
    I heard the old one James posted but never this one. All those crazy "noises" like this, that's his trademark. A huge part of what set him apart. If not for stuff like this, Intruder (which is too cool) EWS, Eruption, Dirty Movies...What would've Marty played for George?

I can recall listening to the new Diver Down record in 1982 thinking "this Intruder thing is freakin cool!"
    The build up, the beat, all the wild sounds, the scream....then right into PW...classic....yes I'll have another.

21. James in New York Liked This Post