Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

06.16.21 @ 11:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

I feel bad, I know he needs the money but that's too much money for a platform that is, generally, free. Not too mention all his guests are talking on Youtube for free all the time. And, of course, the genesis of it has nothing to do with you.

I don't think the "artist subscription" thing is a horrible idea either. People would be more receptive to this than a twenty dollar podcast.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 06:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

My issue is that this is about Eddie Van Halen. Talking about cool things he did, stories, his music, playing, etc. I understand that you want to cover costs but the rest should go to charity. Not the small amount of every subscription. I mean if that truly is the operating costs for this podcast, ok then its cool but I don't believe it is. Sharing information on Eddie Van Halen shouldn't be a paid event. We are all fans of the guy, his impact, etc. Shouldn't be a "club" so to speak

Now if Dweezil or any other artist is struggling, then go the subscription route for your pod casts about your music. Its supply and demand. If you have enough demand for your artistic talent, then people will want to pay for everything Dweezil. If you don't have that demand, then maybe a different career? I understand its difficult but then again you can release music on online platforms. A player like Dweezil could technically set up lessons for pay. Or even Meet and Greets via Zoom. Get paid and then send user a Zoom meeting. Get creative but don't use Eddie Van Halens name to make money. Sorry its a poor look IMO

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

01.29.21 @ 09:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

I was kinda surprised Dweezil took that route, right after Eddie passed:

Pay 51.50, and share in our remembrance of the man.

Just seems off to me.

I thought Dweezil was wealthy due to the Zappa name, but apparently he hasn't had it easy.
    In one interview, he said his wife was the main breadwinner & he was on her health insurance plan.

That surprised me, because you think FRANK ZAPPA....fortune.

At least i did.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.18.21 @ 01:52 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    250 VHL Life Points3 Months Registered

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I was kinda surprised Dweezil took that route, right after Eddie passed:

Pay 51.50, and share in our remembrance of the man.

Just seems off to me.

I thought Dweezil was wealthy due to the Zappa name, but apparently he hasn't had it easy.
    In one interview, he said his wife was the main breadwinner & he was on her health insurance plan.

That surprised me, because you think FRANK ZAPPA....fortune.

At least i did.
    You may already know this, but there was a lot of business issues and strife between Gail Zappa (Frank's widow....who died a couple years ago) and the Zappa children over the last decade. It's a long story and you can read about the Zappa family feuds on the internet, but the short version is that Gail gave the two younger siblings (Ahmet and Diva) control of Frank's music, while Dweezil and Moon appeared to be pushed out to the side. I have no idea how other family assets may have been divided once Gail passed, but I am guessing Dweezil and Moon did not fare as well as the other two. While Gail was alive, Dweezil also was prevented from using the Zappa name in his shows and touring, meaning he could not go out under the "Zappa plays Zappa" moniker he was using for many years. Gail wanted Dweezil to pay an exorbitant licensing fee to use that name and pay performance royalties each time he performed Frank's music. I'd also read that Gail confiscated some of Frank's guitars that he had left to Dweezil, and refused to give them back to him. Once Gail died, he and Ahmet did come to some agreement and Dweezil can now use the Zappa name again with his live shows. They are not feuding publicly anymore, but it appears the children have not really reconciled personally either.

Being a fan of Frank Zappa myself, the the whole thing was disdainful. I'd also read that Gail squandered away much of the family money on frivolous lawsuits over the years since Frank passed away. So yeah, a person would think there was a very nice family fortune nest egg that existed that Dweezil shared in, but there is some evidence that he did not get to see much of it.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    You may already know this, but there was a lot of business issues and strife between Gail Zappa (Frank's widow....who died a couple years ago) and the Zappa children over the last decade. It's a long story and you can read about the Zappa family feuds on the internet, but the short version is that Gail gave the two younger siblings (Ahmet and Diva) control of Frank's music, while Dweezil and Moon appeared to be pushed out to the side. I have no idea how other family assets may have been divided once Gail passed, but I am guessing Dweezil and Moon did not fare as well as the other two. While Gail was alive, Dweezil also was prevented from using the Zappa name in his shows and touring, meaning he could not go out under the "Zappa plays Zappa" moniker he was using for many years. Gail wanted Dweezil to pay an exorbitant licensing fee to use that name and pay performance royalties each time he performed Frank's music. I'd also read that Gail confiscated some of Frank's guitars that he had left to Dweezil, and refused to give them back to him. Once Gail died, he and Ahmet did come to some agreement and Dweezil can now use the Zappa name again with his live shows. They are not feuding publicly anymore, but it appears the children have not really reconciled personally either.

Being a fan of Frank Zappa myself, the the whole thing was disdainful. I'd also read that Gail squandered away much of the family money on frivolous lawsuits over the years since Frank passed away. So yeah, a person would think there was a very nice family fortune nest egg that existed that Dweezil shared in, but there is some evidence that he did not get to see much of it.
    I remember reading all about this, and to this day, i cannot understand Gail's actions.

Dweezil & Moon were the one's with that direct connection to Frank & his music, and i
    remember seeing them with him in magazines & on TV, when i was a teenager.
    You could tell he got a huge kick out of them, especially Dweezil becoming an incredible
    guitar player, so quickly.

Why would Gail give them less of a percentage, while Ahmet & Diva got the lion's share?
    And Gail set them up to forever feud, by doing that.

Ahmet & Diva each got 30 percent stake, Dweezil & Moon got 20 each.

Maybe she thought Ahmet was more business savvy.

Dweezil also mentioned her not letting him the guitars, and when she finally agreed
    on one in particular, she made him take it without the case.

He went to put it in the case, and she said: I said JUST the guitar!

I wonder if she had some sort of strange psychological thing, going on.
    Dweezil mentioned she was loving when he was a kid, but later in life, she got
    more resentful towards him & Moon.

Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

While I do think the timing and the cost of this recent EVH podcast series is perhaps in somewhat bad taste due to EVH's passing, I did buy them and I can say that so far they are well done and not your generic, discussion of EVH and his music. There are a lot of good stories and insights into the music and EVH's playing. In the most recent episode with Nuno Bettencourt where they focus on Fair Warning, Dweezil plays a very short bit of a different take of "Hear About It Later" where there is a different guitar solo and a slightly different rhythmic pattern with the bass and drums in the background. Dweezil says that he recently found a cassette tape in a box at his home that Ed had given to him in 1982. The tape had written on the cover of it "Tape For Dweezil" by EVH himself, and it included some bits of guitar playing that Ed was trying to teach Dweezil for the "My Mother Is a Space Cadet" song, as well as some additional things that were recorded for Fair Warning as Dweezil had asked him if there were any outtakes from that album.

There are only about 10 seconds of music from this "Hear About It Later" outtake, but as a hardcore VH fan it is really cool to hear stuff like this, and makes me hope one day these things get officially released.

7. japeape Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I remember reading all about this, and to this day, i cannot understand Gail's actions.

Dweezil & Moon were the one's with that direct connection to Frank & his music, and i
    remember seeing them with him in magazines & on TV, when i was a teenager.
    You could tell he got a huge kick out of them, especially Dweezil becoming an incredible
    guitar player, so quickly.

Why would Gail give them less of a percentage, while Ahmet & Diva got the lion's share?
    And Gail set them up to forever feud, by doing that.

Ahmet & Diva each got 30 percent stake, Dweezil & Moon got 20 each.

Maybe she thought Ahmet was more business savvy.

Dweezil also mentioned her not letting him the guitars, and when she finally agreed
    on one in particular, she made him take it without the case.

He went to put it in the case, and she said: I said JUST the guitar!

I wonder if she had some sort of strange psychological thing, going on.
    Dweezil mentioned she was loving when he was a kid, but later in life, she got
    more resentful towards him & Moon.
    Gail may have had some psychological issues. I would imagine it was not easy being married to FZ. The guy was a workaholic, and beyond that he supposedly still had groupies/girlfriends over the years while he was married to Gail, with at least one of them even living with the Zappas in their house for awhile where she served as a Nanny of some sorts.

I'd forgotten that story about her making Dweezil leave the case behind for that one guitar she eventually gave back to him. That is just spiteful to an extreme degree. I could not imagine my Mom acting that way towards me ever.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

While I do think the timing and the cost of this recent EVH podcast series is perhaps in somewhat bad taste due to EVH's passing, I did buy them and I can say that so far they are well done and not your generic, discussion of EVH and his music. There are a lot of good stories and insights into the music and EVH's playing. In the most recent episode with Nuno Bettencourt where they focus on Fair Warning, Dweezil plays a very short bit of a different take of "Hear About It Later" where there is a different guitar solo and a slightly different rhythmic pattern with the bass and drums in the background. Dweezil says that he recently found a cassette tape in a box at his home that Ed had given to him in 1982. The tape had written on the cover of it "Tape For Dweezil" by EVH himself, and it included some bits of guitar playing that Ed was trying to teach Dweezil for the "My Mother Is a Space Cadet" song, as well as some additional things that were recorded for Fair Warning as Dweezil had asked him if there were any outtakes from that album.

There are only about 10 seconds of music from this "Hear About It Later" outtake, but as a hardcore VH fan it is really cool to hear stuff like this, and makes me hope one day these things get officially released.
    SOLD.

I'm actually gonna buy this damn thing, because i can't live on the tiny
    excerpts from Premier Guitar.

Did Dweezil respond, after you purchased?

He did say, once you buy something, you have direct contact to him, and
    can ask questions.

But i'm gonna buy the 51.50 package.

I've been working steadily thru Covid, and i don't spend a hell of a lot.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Gail may have had some psychological issues. I would imagine it was not easy being married to FZ. The guy was a workaholic, and beyond that he supposedly still had groupies/girlfriends over the years while he was married to Gail, with at least one of them even living with the Zappas in their house for awhile where she served as a Nanny of some sorts.

I'd forgotten that story about her making Dweezil leave the case behind for that one guitar she eventually gave back to him. That is just spiteful to an extreme degree. I could not imagine my Mom acting that way towards me ever.
    That's why i think she had some brain issues at play.

To resent two of your kids like that.
    Moon was the one driving her to all her cancer treatments.
    Dweezil was the one upholding Frank's legacy, working his ass off to play it right.

My brother takes care of all my Dad's business, in addition to tending to his own
    family & kids.

But my Dad resents him, always has.
    He flat out said, i never liked you, at the Birthday dinner for my Dad, that my
    brother set up & paid for.

My brother just took it, but looked sad.

My brother was a mild mannered person his whole life.
    Not a troublemaker at all, but a music junkie like me.

Somehow, my Dad has no issues with me, though i'm the only real failure amongst
    five kids (im the youngest).

I never understood it.

But it reminds me of Gail singling out Dweezil or Moon in resentful fashion.

Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

SOLD.

can ask questions.

I'll have to go back and check in regards to being able to ask Dweezil questions. I have not yet listened to all the podcasts that have been released. They all range so far from about an hour to an hour and a half on average, so there is a lot of discussion. I listened fully to the first two with Steve Vai, about half of the Paul Gilbert one so far, and all of part 1 of the Fair Warning episode with Nuno Bettencourt.

I do not want to give the impression that there are a bunch of studio outtakes being played here. There was just that one 10 second block of Hear About It Later that I recall from what I have heard so far. It's definitely a tease though, and gets a VH fan's mind wandering about what exists that most of us have never heard.

Paul Gilbert is like a walking VH guitar jukebox. He has his guitar with him during his episode and plays a bunch of stuff from the album, and even talks about how he was learning DLR's vocal melodies on guitar. He plays a bunch of those melodies on the show on guitar, and it definitely gives a deep fan a broader appreciation of Dave's abilities with his vocal phrasing nuances and the melodies he sang.

12. japeape Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 08:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

SOLD.

can ask questions.

I’ve heard it’s incredible... I’m buying it myself

14. japeape Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    I’ve heard it’s incredible... I’m buying it myself
    I love EVH, i love Dweezil (i remember buying "Havin a bad day" when it hit stores, way back)...
    This is obviously the podcast for me.

Not sure why i hadn't done it.

I mean, i was mesmerized by the two part Sunset Sound interview.

16. noise next door Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I love EVH, i love Dweezil (i remember buying "Havin a bad day" when it hit stores, way back)...
    This is obviously the podcast for me.

Not sure why i hadn't done it.

I mean, i was mesmerized by the two part Sunset Sound interview.
    You will definitely enjoy this series then, and Dweezil does a really good job leading and steering the discussion with the other guitarists in each episode. I won't repeat a bunch of the stories here, but there is a cool bit in the Paul Gilbert episode where he talks about the one time he went to 5150 and visited Ed in 1996. This was right after Sammy was out of the band, and Ed played Paul some unreleased stuff including a song Sammy sang on. After playing that though, Ed played him a version of that same song whereby Ed played the vocal melody on guitar instead. Paul said it was killer and that he would have loved to hear more of the other instrumental stuff Ed had recorded at the studio, but that he also got the sense Ed was trying that day to convince both himself and Paul that it was a good idea that Sammy was no longer in the band.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

So far, it is KILLER.

I am really enjoying it, and they aren't fucking around, it's done for the HC fan.

Dweezil is so articulate, and his internal connection to Ed's music, is EXACTLY
    how i felt as a teenager.
    It's this really deep thing, an obsessive attraction, that goes beyond liking some songs.
    It's all the little things within the songs, where you see that mad scientist at work.

It's good to see Dweezil & Nuno are back on good terms.
    Post Confessions (Dweezil's BEST album), Nuno did kind of a douchey move, similar
    to Richie Kotzen in Poison, and Dweez did not speak to him for ages.

Neither one of them is with her anymore, but i gotta say, her fucking voice
    was AWESOME.

To this day, i love this album & especially this song.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 05:15 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingPic Poster

Cool Eddie story from someone on Reddit:

In the early nineties I worked for Imago Records, the label for the Australian band Baby Animals. Eddie loved the band and invited them to open for their arena tour in '91 and '92. I did tour support for a number of dates and thus had full all access to backstage and the arena before, during, and after the show. I spent a lot of time with the Baby Animals, and that meant I spent a fair amount of time with Eddie, as he was nice and friendly and would often hang out with the band before the show.

At the time, Baby Animals lead singer Suze DeMarchi was dating Dweezil Zappa, who is a friend of Eddie's and a fantastic guitarist himself. So I'm standing in the Baby Animals dressing room before the show with Dave Leslie, the lead guitarist of Baby Animals and also a fantastic guitarist, Eddie, and Dweezil. The three of them were sitting on a couch. Dave was at one end, with Eddie in the middle, and Dweezil at the other end.

All three of them had guitars with amps connected at their feet. The three talked guitar lines, riffs, and other guitar players the whole time, but at one point Dave started to just ask Eddie about his playing and his various guitar riffs from the various Van Halen albums. While it was basically about craft, it was pretty clear that Dave just wanted to watch Eddie play Dave's favorite Van Halen guitar lines. Eddie clearly enjoyed it, so I had this amazing experience of watching Dave say, "Oh, play the line from this album cut from Diver Down," and then Eddie would tell some story about it and then play the line.

Part of what made it fun was having Dweezil there, because Eddie has clearly written a lot of music, and he couldn't remember some of the more obscure songs that Dave asked about. Dweezil, who is about the biggest Eddie Van Halen fan in the world and a great guitarist, had memorized literally every guitar note Eddie had ever laid down on record.

So Dave would say, "Oh, can you play that killer bridge from [some deep album track]" to Eddie in the center of the couch, and then Eddie would turn to to his left and ask Dweezil, "Oh man, how did that one go again?" Then Dweezil would play it perfectly. Eddie's eyes would light up, and after Dweezil finished, he would then tell some story about how he came up with it and then play variations of what he was thinking while playing it after Dweezil.

It was one of the many moments of my life that underscored for me that artists at that level really love the act of creation and sharing their passion and excitement for it with others. They're normal people excited about the things they're doing. They're just doing extraordinary things.

I'll finish with one sad and possibly illuminating note: Eddie had a bottle of Jack Daniels with him the entire time. He held it in his hand and drank directly from the bottle when he was hanging out before and after. But he never touched it when the guitar was in his hands.
    Be birds singing in the rose gardens of immortality, lions roaring in the forests of knowledge and wisdom.

-Baha'i Scriptures