THE DAY WOLFGANG VAN HALEN LEARNED HIS DAD WAS FAMOUS.
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Super Duper Frontman
    YankeeRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.13.99
    Location
    Thorold, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,644
    Posts Per Day
    1.77
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

    Today @ 09:39 AM
    Likes (Given)
    75
    Likes (Received)
    183
    Thanks (Given)
    665
    Thanks (Received)
    853

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Cool THE DAY WOLFGANG VAN HALEN LEARNED HIS DAD WAS FAMOUS.

    THE DAY WOLFGANG VAN HALEN LEARNED HIS DAD WAS FAMOUS: INTERVIEW

    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/wolf...GTpjpXc2QsZXDc

    Wolfgang Van Halen says he was "six or seven" years old the day he learned his father Eddie was a famous rock guitarist. "They were doing all the CD remasters" for the six David Lee Roth-era Van Halen albums, he tells UCR.

    "I found a box of all of them, and I saw my name on it and a picture of my dad. I said, 'Dad, what's this?' and he said, 'Oh, yeah, uh ... this is what I do.' And he kind of introduced me to everything."
    Wolfgang quickly followed in his father's footsteps, getting a drum kit after an unconventional lessonfrom Eddie; a song from the band's 1991 album For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge inspired him to pick up his dad's instrument.




    "When I was 12 and graduating sixth grade, I wanted to perform '316,' the song my dad wrote for me at my graduation," he recalls. "So, I just learned that song, and from there I took a shine to guitar and tried to learn everything I could." Within a few years he moved on to the bass.



    Wolfgang released his debut single, "Distance," earlier this week. The song was released under the band nameMammoth WVH and pays tribute to his dad, who died last month.
    Although Eddie Van Halen provided "little lessons here and there," Wolfgang was almost completely self-taught. "He never really tried to push me into any direction," he says. "I think the only thing he really introduced to me was AC/DC, the album Powerage was a big bond for us. 'Down Payment Blues,' that was my dad's and my favorite song. But from there I kind of developed my own taste. I was really into Blink-182. I played Enema of the State nonstop - that's how I learned the drums. It wasn't until maybe I discovered Toolthat I started to see an improvement in my skills by trying to play like Danny Carey."
    Wolfgang eventually learned Van Halen's catalog well enough to join the band as its bass player in 2007. He was also entrusted with picking the set lists for shows. He maintains a particular affinity for an unexpected album: "I was only alive for [1995's] Balance and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge growing up as a kid. So, I still have a really close connection with Balance. It's still one of my favorite [Sammy] Hagar albums."
    He also backs up his dad's repeated claims that Peter Gabriel's 1986 smash So was the last album the guitarist ever purchased, noting that "not too much" outside music was ever played in the house. "The only thing where my dad ever was like, 'Wolf, you gotta check this out,'" he recalls. "He put a pair of headphones on and played me He loved So so much, and so do I - it's one of my favorite albums of all time. That's his favorite album, and he transferred that to me."
    Still, Wolfgang's tastes branched out from his dad's favorite bands like Cream. His desert-island records include Karnivool's Sound Awake, Tool's Aenima, Porcupine Tree's , another one I can listen to all the way through and never get tired of."
    He doesn't remember getting into any disagreements with Eddie over music growing up. "I was really into System of a Down in middle school, but I don't think he ever knew the band name," Wolfgang says. "He would always call them "La la la la la la la la la,' because of the song ' ' He thought that was really funny."
    Right Now you're reading my post!


    I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

    -- John Entwistle

    2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

  2. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
  3. #2
    Little Dreamer

    Join Date
    10.15.20
    Posts
    42
    Posts Per Day
    0.83
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    28
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Achievements:
    250 VHL Life Points31 Days Registered

    Default

    Thatís not even right. Those remasters came out in 2000. Wolfgang was walking out on stage in 1995. Give him the benefit of the doubt while he was under five, but he MUST have known by the 1998 tour that his father was famous, he was seven years old by that point.

  4. #3
    Hot For Teacher
    bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    37
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    10,486
    Posts Per Day
    1.61
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Likes (Given)
    76
    Likes (Received)
    148
    Thanks (Given)
    1184
    Thanks (Received)
    3391

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    I think the timeline when you are 3-8 can be a bit hazy, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on all of that. He's told that story before about finding those old albums so I'd believe it even if the years might be a bit off.

    I still find it...I don't know the right word, odd?...that Ed was so into Peter Gabriel. I mean, it's not bad, it's just SO different than everything he ever did or was seemingly influenced by I find it fascinating that he gravitated towards it so much. Red Rain in particular kind of just sounds like background music in a mall to me, but obviously some songs speak to other people differently.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  5. #4
    I'm The One
    Pacfanweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.04.02
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    2,626
    Posts Per Day
    0.39
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Outta Space
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    167
    Thanks (Given)
    127
    Thanks (Received)
    931


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I think the timeline when you are 3-8 can be a bit hazy, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on all of that. He's told that story before about finding those old albums so I'd believe it even if the years might be a bit off.

    I still find it...I don't know the right word, odd?...that Ed was so into Peter Gabriel. I mean, it's not bad, it's just SO different than everything he ever did or was seemingly influenced by I find it fascinating that he gravitated towards it so much. Red Rain in particular kind of just sounds like background music in a mall to me, but obviously some songs speak to other people differently.
    Ed also loved Bryan Adams. Doesn't seem likely, but he did.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

  6. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
  7. #5
    Bullethead

    Join Date
    05.20.00
    Location
    Concord NH, USA
    Posts
    453
    Posts Per Day
    0.06
    Favorite VH Album

    VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

    11.20.20 @ 07:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    24
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    185

    Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    I saw VH live on back to back shows in Mansfield Mass in 1993 and Wolf walked out during Ed's solo. A friend of mine and I decided to walk around the complex during the day just for the hell of it and I one point I spotted Valerie in a closed of section. I was the only one that saw her and told my friend who was somewhat skeptical. That night during ed's solo, a three year old Wolfgang came out and grabbed Eddies leg. Eddie was playing with his eyes closed and it was so funny to see him snap out of his trance to have Wolfgang pulling at his leg. Wolf got a huge cheer from the crowd and he stood there like a deer in the headlights. I would be very surprised if he remembered any of that. Later on when the band played YRGM, Valerie ran out on stage and gave Eddie a quick kiss before running off stage. I nudged my friend and said I told you Valerie was here...
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

  8. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
  9. #6
    Hot For Teacher
    jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    10,623
    Posts Per Day
    1.76
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    996
    Likes (Received)
    1010
    Thanks (Given)
    1305
    Thanks (Received)
    657

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Hampshire View Post
    I saw VH live on back to back shows in Mansfield Mass in 1993 and Wolf walked out during Ed's solo. A friend of mine and I decided to walk around the complex during the day just for the hell of it and I one point I spotted Valerie in a closed of section. I was the only one that saw her and told my friend who was somewhat skeptical. That night during ed's solo, a three year old Wolfgang came out and grabbed Eddies leg. Eddie was playing with his eyes closed and it was so funny to see him snap out of his trance to have Wolfgang pulling at his leg. Wolf got a huge cheer from the crowd and he stood there like a deer in the headlights. I would be very surprised if he remembered any of that. Later on when the band played YRGM, Valerie ran out on stage and gave Eddie a quick kiss before running off stage. I nudged my friend and said I told you Valerie was here...
    That must have been the first night. I was there on the 2nd night (Saturday), and don't recall seeing Wolf come out on stage at all. Wish I saw that.

  10. #7
    Runnin' With The Devil
    KS 5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.07.07
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,570
    Posts Per Day
    0.33
    Favorite VH Album

    1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

    12.03.20 @ 12:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    600
    Likes (Received)
    312
    Thanks (Given)
    1889
    Thanks (Received)
    601

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalsludge View Post
    That’s not even right. Those remasters came out in 2000. Wolfgang was walking out on stage in 1995. Give him the benefit of the doubt while he was under five, but he MUST have known by the 1998 tour that his father was famous, he was seven years old by that point.
    Maybe he heard VHIII & blocked that out from his developing mind?
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

  11. #8
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    DFVH5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    5,603
    Posts Per Day
    0.92
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams
    Last Online

    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    1398
    Likes (Received)
    464
    Thanks (Given)
    3549
    Thanks (Received)
    1392


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-Liked

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Hampshire View Post
    I saw VH live on back to back shows in Mansfield Mass in 1993 and Wolf walked out during Ed's solo. A friend of mine and I decided to walk around the complex during the day just for the hell of it and I one point I spotted Valerie in a closed of section. I was the only one that saw her and told my friend who was somewhat skeptical. That night during ed's solo, a three year old Wolfgang came out and grabbed Eddies leg. Eddie was playing with his eyes closed and it was so funny to see him snap out of his trance to have Wolfgang pulling at his leg. Wolf got a huge cheer from the crowd and he stood there like a deer in the headlights. I would be very surprised if he remembered any of that. Later on when the band played YRGM, Valerie ran out on stage and gave Eddie a quick kiss before running off stage. I nudged my friend and said I told you Valerie was here...
    Pretty much the same thing I saw in Cleveland at the Gund Arena on the Balance Tour, only when Val ran on stage to get Wolf she proceeded to beat him mercilessly in front of everyone. Even one of the security guards joined him to help her and throw in a smack or two. The crowd was loving it!

    Heh, no but he did run out on stage and the crowd went nuts because of how cute it was. Val ran out and her and Eddie were laughing and she brought him back to stage left. Ed also had red, black, and white-striped stool he sat on that night.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

    Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

  12. #9
    Light Up The Sky
    Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    20,091
    Posts Per Day
    2.63
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    332
    Likes (Received)
    333
    Thanks (Given)
    3357
    Thanks (Received)
    2409

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    That must have been the first night. I was there on the 2nd night (Saturday), and don't recall seeing Wolf come out on stage at all. Wish I saw that.
    I was at the show when Wolf game out. One of my favorite shows by them!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  13. #10
    Bullethead

    Join Date
    05.20.00
    Location
    Concord NH, USA
    Posts
    453
    Posts Per Day
    0.06
    Favorite VH Album

    VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

    11.20.20 @ 07:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    24
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    185

    Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Pretty much the same thing I saw in Cleveland at the Gund Arena on the Balance Tour, only when Val ran on stage to get Wolf she proceeded to beat him mercilessly in front of everyone. Even one of the security guards joined him to help her and throw in a smack or two. The crowd was loving it!

    Heh, no but he did run out on stage and the crowd went nuts because of how cute it was. Val ran out and her and Eddie were laughing and she brought him back to stage left. Ed also had red, black, and white-striped stool he sat on that night.
    Cool that you saw him come out too. Those two shows I saw were some of the best I ever saw. One thing I vividly remember was the local radio station was interviewing and joking around with the boys on air. The DJ asked where Alex was and they said he was a little under the weather and was resting up before show time. This was the first night and the band was really good but I could tell that Alex had played better shows. Something from him was just a little lacking even though he still played great. On the second night, Steven Tyler and Joey Kramer were backstage and I could kind of see them off to the back side of Alex's gong. I tell you he played like a man possessed that night. when those two guys are standing behind you, I guess you give it a little something extra. I just couldn't believe the difference from night one and two. His energy also carried over to the rest of the guys. You definitely can't judge a whole tour by one show.

    I also remember that Mike played the star spangled banner in his solo and lit his bass on fire like Jimi Hendrix! That was wild. There was also an interview in one of the local Boston papers where Eddie said he met some big time brain surgeon backstage and the guy offered to teach him brain surgery for some guitar lessons. Eddie said he would love to as he knows a few people that he would love to operate on! Great times....
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

  14. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
  15. #11
    Eruption
    EdyVelDen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.07
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    222
    Posts Per Day
    0.04
    Favorite VH Album

    VanHalen1
    Last Online

    11.30.20 @ 08:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    28
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Maybe he heard VHIII & blocked that out from his developing mind?
    Whats this VHIII you speak of?

  16. #12
    Mean Street

    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    48,169
    Posts Per Day
    9.31
    Last Online

    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Likes (Given)
    371
    Likes (Received)
    1604
    Thanks (Given)
    2544
    Thanks (Received)
    11834

    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    THE DAY WOLFGANG VAN HALEN LEARNED HIS DAD WAS FAMOUS: INTERVIEW

    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/wolf...GTpjpXc2QsZXDc

    Wolfgang Van Halen says he was "six or seven" years old the day he learned his father Eddie was a famous rock guitarist. "They were doing all the CD remasters" for the six David Lee Roth-era Van Halen albums, he tells UCR.

    "I found a box of all of them, and I saw my name on it and a picture of my dad. I said, 'Dad, what's this?' and he said, 'Oh, yeah, uh ... this is what I do.' And he kind of introduced me to everything."
    Wolfgang quickly followed in his father's footsteps, getting a drum kit after an unconventional lessonfrom Eddie; a song from the band's 1991 album For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge inspired him to pick up his dad's instrument.




    "When I was 12 and graduating sixth grade, I wanted to perform '316,' the song my dad wrote for me at my graduation," he recalls. "So, I just learned that song, and from there I took a shine to guitar and tried to learn everything I could." Within a few years he moved on to the bass.



    Wolfgang released his debut single, "Distance," earlier this week. The song was released under the band nameMammoth WVH and pays tribute to his dad, who died last month.
    Although Eddie Van Halen provided "little lessons here and there," Wolfgang was almost completely self-taught. "He never really tried to push me into any direction," he says. "I think the only thing he really introduced to me was AC/DC, the album Powerage was a big bond for us. 'Down Payment Blues,' that was my dad's and my favorite song. But from there I kind of developed my own taste. I was really into Blink-182. I played Enema of the State nonstop - that's how I learned the drums. It wasn't until maybe I discovered Toolthat I started to see an improvement in my skills by trying to play like Danny Carey."
    Wolfgang eventually learned Van Halen's catalog well enough to join the band as its bass player in 2007. He was also entrusted with picking the set lists for shows. He maintains a particular affinity for an unexpected album: "I was only alive for [1995's] Balance and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge growing up as a kid. So, I still have a really close connection with Balance. It's still one of my favorite [Sammy] Hagar albums."
    He also backs up his dad's repeated claims that Peter Gabriel's 1986 smash So was the last album the guitarist ever purchased, noting that "not too much" outside music was ever played in the house. "The only thing where my dad ever was like, 'Wolf, you gotta check this out,'" he recalls. "He put a pair of headphones on and played me He loved So so much, and so do I - it's one of my favorite albums of all time. That's his favorite album, and he transferred that to me."
    Still, Wolfgang's tastes branched out from his dad's favorite bands like Cream. His desert-island records include Karnivool's Sound Awake, Tool's Aenima, Porcupine Tree's , another one I can listen to all the way through and never get tired of."
    He doesn't remember getting into any disagreements with Eddie over music growing up. "I was really into System of a Down in middle school, but I don't think he ever knew the band name," Wolfgang says. "He would always call them "La la la la la la la la la,' because of the song ' ' He thought that was really funny."


    Holy fuck YR!!! It must have taken you a day and a half to try and transcribe that article with all the links and colors and sizes. A valid attempt sir... but sadly... still a bit wonky. Lol!

    accordian cat.png


    THE DAY WOLFGANG VAN HALEN LEARNED HIS DAD WAS FAMOUS

    Wolfgang Van Halen says he was "six or seven" years old the day he learned his father Eddie was a famous rock guitarist. "They were doing all the CD remasters" for the six David Lee Roth-era Van Halen albums, he tells UCR.

    "I found a box of all of them, and I saw my name on it and a picture of my dad. I said, 'Dad, what's this?' and he said, 'Oh, yeah, uh ... this is what I do.' And he kind of introduced me to everything."

    Wolfgang quickly followed in his father's footsteps, getting a drum kit after an unconventional lesson from Eddie; a song from the band's 1991 album For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge inspired him to pick up his dad's instrument.

    "When I was 12 and graduating sixth grade, I wanted to perform '316,' the song my dad wrote for me at my graduation," he recalls. "So, I just learned that song, and from there I took a shine to guitar and tried to learn everything I could." Within a few years he moved on to the bass.

    Wolfgang released his debut single, "Distance," earlier this week. The song was released under the band name Mammoth WVH and pays tribute to his dad, who died last month.

    Although Eddie Van Halen provided "little lessons here and there," Wolfgang was almost completely self-taught. "He never really tried to push me into any direction," he says. "I think the only thing he really introduced to me was AC/DC, the album Powerage was a big bond for us. 'Down Payment Blues,' that was my dad's and my favorite song. But from there I kind of developed my own taste. I was really into Blink-182. I played Enema of the State nonstop - that's how I learned the drums. It wasn't until maybe I discovered Tool that I started to see an improvement in my skills by trying to play like Danny Carey."

    Wolfgang eventually learned Van Halen's catalog well enough to join the band as its bass player in 2007. He was also entrusted with picking the set lists for shows. He maintains a particular affinity for an unexpected album: "I was only alive for [1995's] Balance and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge growing up as a kid. So, I still have a really close connection with Balance. It's still one of my favorite [Sammy] Hagar albums."

    He also backs up his dad's repeated claims that Peter Gabriel's 1986 smash So was the last album the guitarist ever purchased, noting that "not too much" outside music was ever played in the house. "The only thing where my dad ever was like, 'Wolf, you gotta check this out,'" he recalls. "He put a pair of headphones on and played me 'Red Rain.' He loved So so much, and so do I - it's one of my favorite albums of all time. That's his favorite album, and he transferred that to me."

    Still, Wolfgang's tastes branched out from his dad's favorite bands like Cream. His desert-island records include Karnivool's Sound Awake, Tool's Aenima, Porcupine Tree's Deadwing and "maybe something classic like Abbey Road, another one I can listen to all the way through and never get tired of."

    He doesn't remember getting into any disagreements with Eddie over music growing up. "I was really into System of a Down in middle school, but I don't think he ever knew the band name," Wolfgang says. "He would always call them "La la la la la la la la la,' because of the song 'B.Y.O.B.' He thought that was really funny."


    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/wolf...GTpjpXc2QsZXDc

  17. #13
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    DFVH5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    5,603
    Posts Per Day
    0.92
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams
    Last Online

    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    1398
    Likes (Received)
    464
    Thanks (Given)
    3549
    Thanks (Received)
    1392


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-Liked

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Hampshire View Post
    Cool that you saw him come out too. Those two shows I saw were some of the best I ever saw. One thing I vividly remember was the local radio station was interviewing and joking around with the boys on air. The DJ asked where Alex was and they said he was a little under the weather and was resting up before show time. This was the first night and the band was really good but I could tell that Alex had played better shows. Something from him was just a little lacking even though he still played great. On the second night, Steven Tyler and Joey Kramer were backstage and I could kind of see them off to the back side of Alex's gong. I tell you he played like a man possessed that night. when those two guys are standing behind you, I guess you give it a little something extra. I just couldn't believe the difference from night one and two. His energy also carried over to the rest of the guys. You definitely can't judge a whole tour by one show.

    I also remember that Mike played the star spangled banner in his solo and lit his bass on fire like Jimi Hendrix! That was wild. There was also an interview in one of the local Boston papers where Eddie said he met some big time brain surgeon backstage and the guy offered to teach him brain surgery for some guitar lessons. Eddie said he would love to as he knows a few people that he would love to operate on! Great times....
    This is all from the '93 LRHRN tour? Mike set his bass on fire? No shit? That tour was my first and I only got to go to one because I didn't have license yet (rookie fan) and I was in the lawn so didn't see that. I'll have to watch the bootleg video of it.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

    Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

  18. #14
    Hot For Teacher
    jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    10,623
    Posts Per Day
    1.76
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    996
    Likes (Received)
    1010
    Thanks (Given)
    1305
    Thanks (Received)
    657

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

    Default

    Wolf would have been 2 in 1993 during the RHRN tour. You sure it was that tour and not the Balance tour?

  19. #15
    Bullethead

    Join Date
    05.20.00
    Location
    Concord NH, USA
    Posts
    453
    Posts Per Day
    0.06
    Favorite VH Album

    VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

    11.20.20 @ 07:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    24
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    185

    Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Wolf would have been 2 in 1993 during the RHRN tour. You sure it was that tour and not the Balance tour?
    100% positive. Wolf was very small and though I said three, you are correct that he had to have been two. Looking at set list FM, it shows July 9-10 at great woods in Mansfield MA so he would have turned two that past March. I know it was this tour because my same friend was not with me for the Balance tour at the same venue. In fact the night I saw the Balance tour was the same day(or the day after) that Jerry Garcia died. Sammy was friends with him and I think he played Eagles Fly for him.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Van Halen Sues Drummer's Ex-Wife For Using Famous Last Name (Exclusive)
    By James in New York in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01.11.15, 08:59 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09.12.02, 08:03 PM
  3. What I've learned about FORD...
    By Sunday Afternoon in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04.12.02, 11:43 AM
  4. Brad $tark$- Famous Quote for all Van Halen Fans!
    By Van What? in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02.02.02, 10:34 PM
  5. Lesson Learned
    By Scott in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04.20.01, 06:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •