like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Today @ 08:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The brand name is now gender neutral, not the toys. The change actually makes sense retroactively going back to whenever they started putting out Mrs. Potato Head.

I mean, gendered toys was a marketing decision decades ago. Wealthier families would buy more toys if your marketed some for girls and some for boys.

Gender neutral toys is how toys were marketed, roughly, before TV. It’s not as if the nuclear family didn’t exist then and it won’t cease to exist now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Also a way to sell 4 separate potato heads. Mr, mrs, brother and sister. This is just a way to consolidate them under one name and get good publicity along the way. Again, a nothing issue in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2. lovemachine97(Version 2) Liked This Post
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Today @ 08:32 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    The government didn't decide to no longer publish them, the publisher did.

He has over 60 books in print, the publisher decided to stop producing six that contain racist imagery. Is that really something for us to get upset over? This isn't state sanctioned book burning, or even the cancelling of someone.

I find it to be a very measured response from the publisher.

I think Biden should have just read from one of the other books, and talked about how we can separate the art from the artist, that we are all flawed human beings, etc. etc. But it's never about that in politics, it's pandering and point keeping, which, while disappointing, we also hope the next POTUS will be above such nonsense, we shouldn't be surprised that we are disappointed.

But, it's he didn't force the publisher to stop publishing it, and there is nothing preventing some other publisher from picking up the rights to print those six books.

Not sure what the uproar is about.
    It isn't even just that the publisher is no longer publishing but that it was decided with input of Suess Enterprises which controls the estate of Theodore Geisel. The estate started examining the content of the books years ago after complaints from teachers and reports of libraries removing certain books. The entire focus of Suess Enterprises is to manage the estate to protect the interests of the estate and promote the books. Perhaps they will rework the material and make it more modern or maybe they will choose to keep the books from the publishers.

If some books are problematic because they are a product of their time and a reflection of some controversial views of the author, that needs to be addressed by those who are in charge of managing the estate. Better to stop publishing those than to sully the reputation of the entire series over content that is a minor part of some of the minor books.

There are some very problematic issues surrounding Geisel, and to try to separate the man from the image of Dr Suess is prudent but difficult.

The same thing is happening with Laura Ingles Wilder and I am surprised that it hasn't happened in a renewed way with Mark Twain. It will tho and that is a shame because Twain is a very different situation and his books were not meant as childrens books...well at least Huckleberry Finn veered away from what it started out to be and turned into something completely more elevated. Twain legitimately tried to examine the moral peril America faced in not dealing with racism and the aftermath of slavery

What I find now to be so incongruous, is that the very teachers and librarians and booksellers that founded "banned books week" are now passively participating in the banning of these same books including laura Ingles Wilder and Dr Suess and Mark Twain

Their motto is "Censorship is a dead end, find your freedom to read during banned books week" I wonder this fall how they are going to frame up the pulling of books from publication due to their problematic content and the banner that they fly for freedom to read.

recently they retweeted "Preventing kids from reading books with challenging themes doesn’t protect them from facing challenges. For tips on advocating for books in schools, check out our guide at http://ncac.org/resource/book-censorship-toolkit. And don’t forget to tag an educator or parent who cares about the freedom to read!" and THAT is what I think is important. Kids won't learn by insulating them from difficult ideas, That is the whole position of educators...to present the material with all it's problems set in up for the students in the proper context and learn from the material.

But what they are saying, and how they are participating in things like removing Laura Ingles Wilder from book awards are conflicting.

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Today @ 08:32 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Also a way to sell 4 separate potato heads. Mr, mrs, brother and sister. This is just a way to consolidate them under one name and get good publicity along the way. Again, a nothing issue in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    they are potatoes. Do they have to have genders for kids to play with them? Everybody just mixes up the parts and makes crazy combos anyway.

Anyway, I'm too old for the debate, This is something younger people need to decide about the toys for their children

Hell I'm so old I remember when Mr Potato head was ACTUALLY A POTATO. Yes we played with potatoes.

5. It's Mike Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Today @ 09:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The brand name is now gender neutral, not the toys. The change actually makes sense retroactively going back to whenever they started putting out Mrs. Potato Head.
    Yes, that is lovely. And statements from the company use language that - all things considered - some find troublesome...

"..the ‘Mr.’ and ‘Mrs.’ — is limiting when it comes to both gender identity and family structure.", for example.

And others..
    "Hasbro is helping kids to simply see toys as toys, which encourages them to be their authentic selves outside of the pressures of traditional gender norms.”

Not everyone is on board with the gender dysphoria movement and the damage that it is causing many young lives and families. Telling 8 yr olds to question fundamentally who they are and that there is a free sex change waiting for them free from parental consent, for example, as demonstrated by this administration. Some people find these things and the culture that promotes it offensive, perverse, and even of a diabolical origin (how'z THAT for CRAAAZY, guys?)

It's fine that you find my position offensive and unacceptable and so cannot accept what I am saying, LM.

I mean, gendered toys was a marketing decision decades ago. Wealthier families would buy more toys if your marketed some for girls and some for boys.
    So the not-so-wealthy girls a few decades ago played with gender-neutral dolls and the boys with gender-neutral toy soldiers 'cause they couldn't afford to buy gender specific dolls and toys? Where the heck did you come up with that?
    But of course wealthy people buy more stuff, LM,, all kinds of stuff. That is not the origin story of girls dolls and boys toy soldiers though.

Gender neutral toys is how toys were marketed, roughly, before TV.
    Not sure where you pulled that from, LM. It's really not true.

There have always been dolls and toys that are gender specific (boy and girl dolls, etc), and toys also that kids like playing with regardless, and marketed as such.
    Last edited by Wruff_ajax; Today at 08:38 PM.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

7. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 10:09 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I just ate a Manwich sandwich in protest to Mr Potatohead and Dr Seuss

I know times are changing but man I think of what my grandparents would think of this.
    Neoconism/Neoliberalism and the progressive ideology are destroying this country.

Well, they already have. It is crap now.

America is a dump.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; Today at 09:47 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

It appears that Andrew Cuomo asked one of the accusers if they "Ever had sex with older men."

Did he think he was talking to Kamala Harris?

Where the heck is she in all of this?

She was so self-righteous a few years ago.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; Today at 09:56 PM.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 09:58 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Yes, that is lovely. And statements from the company use language that - all things considered - some find troublesome...

"..the ‘Mr.’ and ‘Mrs.’ — is limiting when it comes to both gender identity and family structure.", for example.

And others..
    "Hasbro is helping kids to simply see toys as toys, which encourages them to be their authentic selves outside of the pressures of traditional gender norms.”

Not everyone is on board with the gender dysphoria movement and the damage that it is causing many young lives and families. Telling 8 yr olds to question fundamentally who they are and that there is a free sex change waiting for them free from parental consent, for example, as demonstrated by this administration. Some people find these things and the culture that promotes it offensive, perverse, and even of a diabolical origin (how'z THAT for CRAAAZY, guys?)

It's fine that you find my position offensive and unacceptable and so cannot accept what I am saying, LM.

So the not-so-wealthy girls a few decades ago played with gender-neutral dolls and the boys with gender-neutral toy soldiers 'cause they couldn't afford to buy gender specific dolls and toys? Where the heck did you come up with that?
    But of course wealthy people buy more stuff, LM,, all kinds of stuff. That is not the origin story of girls dolls and boys toy soldiers though.

Not sure where you pulled that from, LM. It's really not true.

There have always been dolls and toys that are gender specific (boy and girl dolls, etc), and toys also that kids like playing with regardless, and marketed as such.
    Yep. Like I said, the usual suspects sticking their heads in the sand pretending there hasn't been a culture war going on for decades.

Adults foisting gender dysphoria on young children should be charged with child abuse. Despicable people who don't deserve to have children.

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Yep. Like I said, the usual suspects sticking their heads in the sand pretending there hasn't been a culture war going on for decades.

Adults foisting gender dysphoria on young children should be charged with child abuse. Despicable people who don't deserve to have children.
    The leftist and leftist sympathizers play the "nothing to see here" game and will continue to do so.

It's a conspiracy to call them authoritarians even though they go out of their way to marginalize those that disagree with them any chance they get.

It's a conspiracy to suggest that they want to overturn most of anything that people have traditionally enjoyed... If it even possibly violates their crappy belief system.

Hopefully these companies embracing wokeness lose money.