Last Online

01.15.21 @ 01:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Iím totally satisfied with what we have 12 studio albums, couple of live albums and GH albums with some new songs. Will Wolf and Al find some nuggets in the library? Who knows if they do awesome if they donít Iím satisfied.
    1984 Detroit, MI
    1986 Detroit, MI
    1988 Pontiac, MI
    1991 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Auburn Hill, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Rosemont, IL
    1998 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004 Detroit, MI
    2007 Detroit, MI
    2008 Grand Rapids, MI
    2015 Clarkston, MI
    "It's called two burritos and a root beer float" Eddie Van Halen-2009 Two and Half Men

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

SGMAD
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

It would've been great if they'd have cranked out another record. I was disappointed before Ed's passing that in all the time Ed had spent at 5150, there wasn't at least one more. But now, I greatly appreciate what Ed has given us in the entire VH catalog. I'll always enjoy listening, even when songs from III come up in the shuffle. For now I'm looking forward to Wolf's album, even though it's not a VH record nor will it be VH. It will just be cool to hear it merely because of Wolf's raw talent. And hopefully there's some stuff in the vault at 5150 that will start to finally see the light of day.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Today @ 09:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardVHLinks Proud!Padawan Praiser

I’m thankful for what we got. Don’t love it all equally, but it’s a very strong catalog, all told.

Ed’s life and musical output will continue be celebrated, as it should be.

As to the question, I’m neither more sympathetic or less sympathetic. Don’t have enough information to make a judgement on that.

Since the 2015 tour, I’ve always imagined the reason at least one more record wasn’t churned out with the VH IV version was creative differences between band memebers. That’s solely based on Ed’s comments about Dave not wanting to come to the table and make a record. And that there were 3 band members that liked rock music, and one liked dance music. Or something along those lines. I’m guessing that’s why we got the live record instead.

For the 2004 reunion, based on comments by Hagar, it seemed like the original intention was to do a full album and tour behind it. Whether or not it was the band not really being able to work together, or Ed’s state at the time, or some combination of both, it seems like the process of making an album was aborted in favor of touring and making the $$$ that would come from that before the entire thing fell apart.

Certainly hoping for more from the vaults. But no expectations. No idea what Ed’s wishes were, no idea what the owners of the material think about it, etc. etc.

Would be very disappointed if we didn’t get a remastered version of the Hagar records.
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS

"Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

"I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Today @ 05:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

As said, life changes. Ed was busy being a dad.

To be honest, after VHIII, I didn't expect much of anything from VH. Maybe Sam came back, or Dave came back and they did a record, but I never saw them releasing a bunch of records in the next twenty years.

All I was hoping for was a tour with Dave and Mike, a new record, or two, and some vault releases.

Didn't go as planned but never woulda guessed three more tours with any singer either. I can't complain about that.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 12:13 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    As said, life changes. Ed was busy being a dad.

To be honest, after VHIII, I didn't expect much of anything from VH. Maybe Sam came back, or Dave came back and they did a record, but I never saw them releasing a bunch of records in the next twenty years.

All I was hoping for was a tour with Dave and Mike, a new record, or two, and some vault releases.

Didn't go as planned but never woulda guessed three more tours with any singer either. I can't complain about that.
    Busy being a dad? But his son was 19 - 29 years old during the last 10 years! It's not that he couldn't, he didn't want to. And that's ok.
    Little Dreamer

Eruption
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK, BALANCE,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ANYTHING VAN HAGER
    Last Online

01.14.21 @ 07:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Rookie2,000 VHL Life PointsPadawan Praiser

Ultimately it was up to Ed if he wanted to make more records. He owed us nothing, as fans we have had more than enough from VH over the years. I cant imagine constant touring and recording in the studio is much fun. After a while it probably gets a bit stale.
    What is understood need not be discussed - Sammy Hagar
    You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

12.11.20 @ 03:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    250 VHL Life Points31 Days Registered

As Roth said in his book that came out just after the FIRST aborted reunion in 1996, wasted energy canít be regained by running back up the stairs. He was pissed off with the band for wasting time in the 1980s which ultimately was a big catalyst to him leaving in 1985 - he was coked out of his head and on top of the world and wanting to be on tour forever and do projects etc, and Ed wanted to sit around noodling or just do four big shows a year not proper tours.

Ed has done nothing BUT waste time since 1999.

They finished that 07-08 tour and Roth was ready to record and Ed sat around doing nothing for years. Roth went off and wrote and recorded a whole solo album with John5 while he was waiting for Ed to get off his ass!

Then by the time they recorded that and then did the tour Roth was out of shape vocally and sounded like crap after sounding the best he had for literally 25 years on the 07-08 tour. Roth uses the analogy of a boxer. He was in shape totally after that tour and they let him get totally OUT of shape for three years before doing ADKOT. Just nuts.

Then they could have done another studio album in 2014/2015/2016, didnít happen. More wasted time.

You could sense the frustration in that interview Roth did last year when he said VH was done, he said something about how he had put his whole life on hold. Itís the exact same story as 1984-1985 again. Roth raring to go and Ed not wanting to do jack and Alex going along with it.

Hopefully they finish up the supposed 25 songs they had ready to go for ADKOT and we get a posthumous album.

8. EdyVelDen Liked This Post
    Eruption
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK, BALANCE,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ANYTHING VAN HAGER
    Last Online

01.14.21 @ 07:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Rookie2,000 VHL Life PointsPadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by Metalsludge View Post
    As Roth said in his book that came out just after the FIRST aborted reunion in 1996, wasted energy can’t be regained by running back up the stairs. He was pissed off with the band for wasting time in the 1980s which ultimately was a big catalyst to him leaving in 1985 - he was coked out of his head and on top of the world and wanting to be on tour forever and do projects etc, and Ed wanted to sit around noodling or just do four big shows a year not proper tours.

Ed has done nothing BUT waste time since 1999.

They finished that 07-08 tour and Roth was ready to record and Ed sat around doing nothing for years. Roth went off and wrote and recorded a whole solo album with John5 while he was waiting for Ed to get off his ass!

Then by the time they recorded that and then did the tour Roth was out of shape vocally and sounded like crap after sounding the best he had for literally 25 years on the 07-08 tour. Roth uses the analogy of a boxer. He was in shape totally after that tour and they let him get totally OUT of shape for three years before doing ADKOT. Just nuts.

Then they could have done another studio album in 2014/2015/2016, didn’t happen. More wasted time.

You could sense the frustration in that interview Roth did last year when he said VH was done, he said something about how he had put his whole life on hold. It’s the exact same story as 1984-1985 again. Roth raring to go and Ed not wanting to do jack and Alex going along with it.

Hopefully they finish up the supposed 25 songs they had ready to go for ADKOT and we get a posthumous album.
    Maybe Eds time was spent doing other things he enjoyed so not a waste. You seem to have an issue with a lot of things.
    What is understood need not be discussed - Sammy Hagar
    You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 04:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I totally understand your sentiments and wish we wouldíve gotten more properly recorded music from Eddie. But I donít think thereís much sense in dissecting what shouldíve been done in Edís life, especially when weĎll never know all the details.

He already gave us more than most. Itís time to just enjoy that.
    Well said Jedi!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

01.07.21 @ 05:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    Does the death of EVH make you feel more sympathetic or less sympathetic to the fact that the band released one album in the last 20 years?

I'm not really sure how long he was really sick for, how long he has been covering it up, so there's certainly the side of me that thinks he just wasn't up to it, physically, mentally, emotionally, whatever.... he just couldn't do it. Hindsight being 20/20, we need to forgive that.

There's the other camp that this just pisses off even more. He squandered some good years when he was healthy (late 90's early to mid-2000's) where he could have released music but he didn't. For whatever reason, maybe he took it for granted that there'd always be time. I know he was disenchanted with how poorly received VH3 was, so there is that.

Anyway, just want to know what your feelings about this are, if it in any way impacts your feelings about what might have been.
    I dunno...I haven't really thought about it.

EVH has been touted, by the people who knew him, as a funny, warm, humble, welcoming, guy. We need more people like that around, so his passing is a shame.

The one thing that I do wish about EVH: I wish that he wasn't the perfectionist that he was; I think that we missed out on a lot, simply because he never finished his music. Was it a lack of discipline that made him jump around, before completing something?

The guy was a genius; did he have ADD? Did he have a lack of focus and discipline such that he could say: "here's a completed song."

I would have loved to have known what was in his mind; did he devalue himself to the point at which he saw his music as nothing? In other words, the snippets that we see as gold - the stuff that we can listen to for years on end - did he simply see it as nothing more than a song? If so, that would explain a lot.

From EVH's perspective: why leak stuff out? It's not finished.

From the fan's perspective: EVH leaked out this INSANE riff; it would make a KILLER song.

Example: Growth. What was Growth to EVH? A nothing; an incomplete nothing. Yet how many fans crank Growth up when listening to Fair Warning?

The ending of Fire In The Hole. What was it to EVH? The ending of a song. What is it to us? "A killer riff around which other songs could be written"
    Our hearts' are with you Wolf, Al, and Janie; blessings upon you all.

"It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 12:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Could it have been a better ride? Sure but think of the positive. Eddie could have died about 2005 or so. Heck could have died when he got cancer the first time. So we did get some tours and an album with Dave. He was happy. He was able to see his kid grow into an adult. He found a new wife and seemed to be enjoying life. Not everything is music. Not everything is about us fans. Sure I am selfish and wish we had 5 more albums but it could have been a lot worse.

Will take what we got

13. Jamie M, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

Today @ 06:50 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Doesn't really matter what the facts of the circumstances or motivations of EVH for the last 20 years. Knowing changes nothing... his chapter has been written and the ink on the page is dry.

If you take anything away from this... envision what your next 20 years will be and what you you plan to leave in your wake... Waste not one breath, Get on it... time ain't waiting...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...

15. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 02:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePic Poster
    Awards:
    The Ansel Adams Award

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I havenít thought about that at all. Iím just sad heís gone and Iím thankful for all the music we DO have. Not what we donít
    This for sure!

Still I'm sad. Really, really sad.
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Today @ 06:32 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo View Post
    Doesn't really matter what the facts of the circumstances or motivations of EVH for the last 20 years. Knowing changes nothing... his chapter has been written and the ink on the page is dry.

If you take anything away from this... envision what your next 20 years will be and what you you plan to leave in your wake... Waste not one breath, Get on it... time ain't waiting...
    Yeah. It's tempting to be dissatisfied because we didn't get MORE music, but the man had a life to live and that's more important. That being said, he did truly love to play. There may be volumes of music in the vault just waiting to be unearthed. Hopefully that's the scenario. Time will tell.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Today @ 05:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Busy being a dad? But his son was 19 - 29 years old during the last 10 years! It's not that he couldn't, he didn't want to. And that's ok.
    I was talking 1999-2008. While Wolf was under the age of 18.