Today @ 12:19 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranVHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life Points

Default Wolfgang out of tune with bends - have to whammy to restore tuning

I have an EVH Wolfgang special which gives me some trouble.

The strings frequently go flat, and I have to do a dive on the bar to get it back into tune. It frequently does this with bends and slides, and it is especially bad on the G string. I don't have to do anything crazy with it: even a fairly gentle slide or a 2-semitone bend is often enough to knock something flat. The Floyd Rose is flush mounted, NOT floating.
    I know that this is normal for even flush-mounted Floyd Roses, at least to an extent. However, I have two Peavey Wolfgangs that are MUCH better. They display the same issue but to a much, much lesser extent. For example, it might take a 4-semitone bend to knock something flat on one of the Peaveys, and sometimes that might not even do it.

I was just wondering if any of the experts here know how to alleviate this issue. I don't expect it to ever go away completely, but I'm just puzzled why the EVH/Fender wolfgang is so much worse. Is it due to worse materials in the Floyd bridge or nut? Do I need to lubricate the Floyd posts?

I have one other idea about what may be contributing. The neck angle of the guitar is slightly off, so I have to raise the bridge slightly up from the surface of the body, and it leans back a little bit in neutral position. See here:

Thanks for any advice!!!

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:58 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranPic PosterMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

When it goes out of tune, is it on a single string or multiple strings?

What brand/type strings are you using?

How do you string your guitar? Ball end at headstock and cut to size at bridge, or cut both sides? Which side has the ball end?

Do strings go out of tune when using the bridge, or only when playing certain strings?

3. speates Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, 5150
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave not David View Post
    When it goes out of tune, is it on a single string or multiple strings?

What brand/type strings are you using?

How do you string your guitar? Ball end at headstock and cut to size at bridge, or cut both sides? Which side has the ball end?

Do strings go out of tune when using the bridge, or only when playing certain strings?
    In order:

- The string that I bend or slide on goes flat the most. A few of the other strings may go very slightly flat, but this does not happen 100% of the time.
    - I use 9-42 gauge, typically Ernie Balls. My current set is Ernie Ball.
    - I tend to put the non-ball-end in the Floyd saddles. Then I only end up clipping the ball end at the headstock. Only exception is when I am using D'addarios, which have to be clipped at both ends regardless.
    - I have never noticed the strings going out of tune when using the bridge. In fact, whammying (I will reiterate that this is dive only) gets them back in tune.

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 11:05 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I had the same basic issue when I was doing some work on one of my Wolfgangs. When Iíd bend the guitar would go flat (especially on lower strings) and then go back to proper pitch with a dive bomb.

Turns out during neck swapping I accidentally switched the two sets of neck screws - I used the longer screws on the top and shorter screws on the bottom. That meant only the top screws were really holding the neck in place.

After literal hours of frustration I realized my error. It was especially frustrating because I KNEW to make sure the screws were put back in the proper positions and somehow still got mixed up. Once I swapped the screws and all was well again.

I hope this solves your problem. If not, check to make sure Floyd posts arenít sinking into the body or that the nut isnít moving.

6. speates Liked This Post
    Big Bad Bill

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Maybe tighten your springs, just a little bit

8. speates Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

11.23.20 @ 03:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    Maybe tighten your springs, just a little bit
    Yes, what he said. When you do bends does it lift the bridge at all? Also, I don't think that bridge angle is to blame. I have one of the original release EVH striped series bumblebee guitars, and those all shipped that way. I didn't use any kind of trem stop, it is fine if everything is adjusted properly. The back of the Floyd is on the body and resonates well. I also added some vintage trem springs to that guitar and cranked the claw in most of the way. The bridge doesn't lift when bending and it is still light and responsive when using the bar. I have a number of Floyd Rose-equipped guitars and in my opinion it is not normal for what you are describing to occur. That quick jerk is something you might need to do on a Fender vintage trem bridge.

Another good idea mentioned earlier- make sure the nut is actually locking the strings in place. Take it apart and make sure the base is snug, but don't over-tighten and strip anything.
    Last edited by donkost; 10.13.20 at 11:09 PM.

10. speates Liked This Post
    Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 11:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Another good idea mentioned earlier- make sure the nut is actually locking the strings in place. Take it apart and make sure the base is snug, but don't over-tighten and strip anything.
    That reminds me. I had an issue with two of my Wolfgangs (one MIC, one MIM) where one of the nut mount screws came through too far which kept two of the clamps from being flush with the nut. B and G strings were always out of tune after bends. I ended up filing down the mount screw which resolved the problem.

12. speates, donkost Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, 5150
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Thank you all so much for your advice! I've been super busy the past few days and have not had a chance to investigate further, but I will soon.

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.31.20 @ 11:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    3 Months Registered250 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by speates View Post
    Thank you all so much for your advice! I've been super busy the past few days and have not had a chance to investigate further, but I will soon.
    I've had a similar issue with a couple of Wolfgangs when they weren't set up properly initially. Here's the steps I use - not in their entirety but close.

1. Check the locking nut screws to make sure they're tight.

2. Check to make sure the bridge is not only sitting on the body but sitting evenly level on both sides. If you can pull up on the bar and change the pitch, it's not completely decked.

3. The string retainer bar is probably sitting too high if you haven't adjusted it. It should be low enough so your strings don't change pitch when you lock the locking nut. This is usually really low on a Wolfgang and may make it difficult to get the strings under when you're restringing but if that's how it needs to be, then set it and leave it. You shouldn't have to fine tune much if any when you lock a floyd rose locking nut.

4. Stretch the strings properly. My process is to string the guitar, tune to pitch, prior to locking the nut I grab each string at the 12th fret, and pull it away 5-6 times, tune to pitch again, repeat process, then lock the locking nut.

5. Tighten the springs until I can bend a note at least 2 steps without raising the bridge off the body.

6. Play the hell out of it and check everything again to make sure nothing moved.

15. Dave not David, ATONESIR Liked This Post