Unchained
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Itís all good EJC.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

2. EJC Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

10.07.21 @ 03:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Knight Of Da RoundtableMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

These 32 seconds...

"Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Hmm...that's a toughy!
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

10.18.21 @ 01:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    2,000 VHL Life PointsRookie

Thanks for the apology, EJC. It's all good. I just meant, in this post and the VH Family in the vault post...

1. I hope we know where Eddie is as to us fans being able to visit him at a gravesite. If he is cremated and with his family, it's their business and privacy, but, at least he didnt just vanish like you see some people on FindAGRave listed as "Burial: Unknown."
    2. As far as the vault search, I never had a time line. I meant Wolf knew what the fans wanted. Be it tomorrow, 2 weeks or 2 years, it'd be great if he and Alex did.

As far as tribute shows, etc., when / if it happens, it happens. Great if it does, ok if it doesn't.

I hope this solidifies and clears up my thoughts and opinions. I am not crazy obsessed over Ed's ashes and whatnot.
    June. 1984. Kemper Arena. Kansas City, Mo. My very first concert. The lights go out. The spotlights rotate over the crowd while a wailing guitar overtakes the screams and cheers. The opening riff of "Unchained" begins as a lone spotlight illuminates Eddie Van Halen. By himself. I was never the same after that.

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

10.13.21 @ 08:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Not the end of the world, no - but starting a thread on it is, in your words "a little strange". Brett, I'm not trying to be disrespectful - and VHKC1984 I didn't mean to attack you personally.... Welcome to the forums and accept my apologies if my post came off like that.

I've been away from here for about 5 months because there was really nothing to talk about, and the political bullshit was out of control.

My opinion is this, and if it's not shared by anyone - so be it.

Edward Van Halen left this world less than 4 days ago.

I guess I just don't understand the need for threads discussing who is opening up the proverbial "vaults" and when, or where Eddie's ashes are, or who is going to play guitar on some hypothetical tribute tour or show...

I figured we would get at least a few weeks of celebrating the mans life and small sense of contentment knowing that he is no longer in pain. By all accounts, Ed's last days were pretty terrible.

Maybe I'm a little biased because one of my best friends is going through his 2nd round of chemo for stage 4 colon cancer at the age of 37.

I guess I'm just different. I don't know... Didn't mean to pass judgement on anybody. But none of those aforementioned topics seem right to me when he passed 3 and a half days ago.

~Peace and respect to all.
    ~Eric
    I agree Eric, I'm not going to judge you for your post and I'm not going to judge the OP for his.

We're all in new territory here as the guy who was "the man" for so many of us for so long is no longer with us. I have a lot of conflicting emotions right now so I'm trying to just limit what I choose to say because something easily could come off the wrong way when your thoughts are jumbled and you're in a weird spot.

I've been to where Steve Prefontaine crashed his car and died a couple of times and left some momentos there so I can certainly see the OPs point about being able to do so with Ed. I guess the one difference for me is that Pre died 45 years ago, wheras Ed hasn't even had a proper service yet so I'm not really keen on worrying about this type of thing right now - more concerned for the family and close friend than I am about opening the vault or where Ed's final resting place may be as that will all sort itself out in time. But that's my point of view and it doesn't make it right or wrong nor does it invalidate someone else's.

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Thereís absolutely nothing wrong with trying to find out if heís going to be buried somewhere that people can visit. Donít feel bad about asking this question I donít think itís bizarre at all. Iíve already said I would like to visit and pay my respects. I donít care if thatís weird or not to someone. Itís something that matters to me.

It doesnít matter if he died three minutes ago or 10 years ago. Thereís nothing wrong with the question.

Asking if heís been cremated yet or whatís been done with the body I guess is a little strange, but I understand itís just curiosity and certainly not the end of the world to ask.

As Iíve said before during this, people need to cut each other a break and stop passing judgment on what people would like to know. This has hit people hard in many different ways. Just because you donít celebrate or mourn people in a certain way doesnít mean itís right or wrong. I mean I made it pretty clear I thought it was weird that my mother-in-law has her parentsí ashes in a box in the house. I mean in my family we would never do that. But Iím not passing judgment, I love my mother-in-law, sheís a wonderful person.
    If I am not mistaken, after their father died, Ed and Alex scattered their father's ashes from his boat off Malibu. I understand Jan was an avid fisherman, and perhaps that was a favorite spot of his. So I presumed that Eddie would be cremated. It's become the most chosen form of funeral these days.

Even in the catholic church that previously did not approve of cremation, a section of our parish cemetery is reserved for cremains. small graves with simple stones, closely set together

So they may choose to keep the cremains or inter them in a crypt like you say your father is in. Ashes on the mantle always seems odd to me, but I have family who do that and if that is what brings you peace, so be it. I think people presume that the decision will be up to Wolf, but unless it was stated as such in his will, Janie as his wife, will be the one to make those decisions.

But I don't think it is a totally inappropriate question.

I like cemeteries. I don't find them as sad as one would think. I have come to grips with the fact that we all pass on, sooner or later. I like to walk thru the cemetery that my fathers family traditionally uses and look at the stones. I look at the inscriptions...these folks last communication with us, the words they chose, the pictures, the design of the stone, the history. Every summer my Aunt and I go on a trip thru some cemetery or another looking for a long misplaced family member.

Last year it was Great Uncle Glode. (found) This year it was Aunt Emma and her daughter Rebecca ( found) and also Uncle Clemmer ( not found and some kind of mystery as the church says he should be in a particular grave, but the state burial records don't match up and there seems to be a notation of "lost at sea" but that is NOT what anyone remembers happening.) And I finally got back into the mausoleum where my Great Great Grandpa and Grandma are interred. Haven't visited that one since the early 90's. Currently trying to get a good rubbing of my Great Grandpas old stone so that we can get a new one, but it's all in German and I;m not sure I am getting it right.

Cemeteries are a place to remember, to be remembered, to say to your community that you existed, you were here, your people are still here.

Personally I hope there will be a place where someday I can make a pilgrimage and pay my respects but the Van Halen family will do what they need in order to find peace, and I wish them peace

7. Brett Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default Any word on where Eddie is?

Iíve gone to the cemetery a couple times to visit my dad since heís passed with my mom. Then we walk over to see my grandparents and uncles graves as well, and Iím actually comforted by it I donít know. Doesnít make me feel bad. I like having a place to go and just sit and talk to them even though obviously I know theyíre not there.

Absolutely I wish nothing but peace and healing for the Van Halen family first and foremost. And sadly I know exactly how Wolf feels and how it is to lose a father you are extremely close with, and recently. Plus Iím an only child just like him. I felt that I didnít get enough time with my dad and Iím 49. I would be so sad if I lost my pop at 29. Iím grateful my dad got to see me get married and be a papa to my daughter. But I hope that after the dust settles there is a place that fans can go to pay their respects. I feel like I owe Ed that I donít know. There is no other celebrity that has meant as much to my life as Ed did. If it wasnít for him I donít think Iíd be playing guitar and I know I wouldnít love music like I do. I just want to go somewhere and thank him.
    Webmaster

9. Daisy Hill, VH1986, rvk5150, Bugs Meanie Liked This Post
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I get you Brett. Funerals are sad, but after that, I'm not sad visiting a cemetery, I feel comforted. Since our communities are smaller our cemeteries are probably different. Here you walk around and there is your family, but over there is your first grade teacher, and her family, There are row and row of names, mostly familiar. It is really like visiting the town as it existed 40 years ago. The guy who ran the little grocery store that isn't there anymore, the pastor of your church when you were confirmed, the guy you went to high school with who was killed in a snowmobile accident, that hard drinking couple that rented a house from my grandparents. Still side by side, probably still arguing at the top of their voices. Then there;s the history...that whole section that was added on in 1919. You know that was probably the influenza.

In Japan they have a mid summer holiday called Obon where they celebrate their deceased. They go to the cemetery and clean up the stones and have picnic.The whole community turns out. Then later in the week they have dinners and dances and reminisce and thank their ancestors for their sacrifices and the opportunities they gave the future generations. I find that comforting.

11. Bugs Meanie Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Default Any word on where Eddie is?

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I get you Brett. Funerals are sad, but after that, I'm not sad visiting a cemetery, I feel comforted. Since our communities are smaller our cemeteries are probably different. Here you walk around and there is your family, but over there is your first grade teacher, and her family, There are row and row of names, mostly familiar. It is really like visiting the town as it existed 40 years ago. The guy who ran the little grocery store that isn't there anymore, the pastor of your church when you were confirmed, the guy you went to high school with who was killed in a snowmobile accident, that hard drinking couple that rented a house from my grandparents. Still side by side, probably still arguing at the top of their voices. Then there;s the history...that whole section that was added on in 1919. You know that was probably the influenza.

In Japan they have a mid summer holiday called Obon where they celebrate their deceased. They go to the cemetery and clean up the stones and have picnic.The whole community turns out. Then later in the week they have dinners and dances and reminisce and thank their ancestors for their sacrifices and the opportunities they gave the future generations. I find that comforting.
    Yeah Daisy thatís actually very cool that you can see that kind of stuff because your town is small. Obviously I live in a big city and where my family is buried in the big Jewish cemetery where there are a ton of famous people are.

I actually had no idea as we were walking over to see my uncleís grave and my mom was like ďHey did you know that Daniel Pearl is buried next to Uncle Sandy?Ē You know the journalist that had his head cut off. That horrible thing. I never knew that. We go over there and I look to the right and holy shit there he is. So you just never know what youíre going to find in a Jewish cemetery.
    Webmaster

Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Hmm...that's a toughy!
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I think it's possible the aftermath of Eddie's death may already be over. Actor Andy Griffith was buried four hours after his death. I kid you not. You can look it up. He had strict instructions that he was to be buried as soon as possible because he knew the publicity when he died. Since this IS Eddie Van Halen, I imagine the family knew exactly what was going to happen. So, if they chose cremation and considering him to be a major star, they couldve had something already set up and he was back home the next night. Possibly.
    June. 1984. Kemper Arena. Kansas City, Mo. My very first concert. The lights go out. The spotlights rotate over the crowd while a wailing guitar overtakes the screams and cheers. The opening riff of "Unchained" begins as a lone spotlight illuminates Eddie Van Halen. By himself. I was never the same after that.

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:39 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePadawan Praiser

I am with many others.....we have a tradition of visiting my wife's side of the family at the cemetery every Thanksgiving morning before football and all the cooking begins; it is quite enjoyable.
    It's 5150 time!

15. Daisy Hill Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

When I visit my father's grave at the DFW Veteran's Cemetery, I come away with the feeling that war sucks. But in reality, many of the people buried there lived long lives, as did my father, while others were actually killed in action.

I had a teenage family friend that died suddenly from a brain aneurysm while swimming while he was out of town. I attended his graveside service. And then 5 years later I visited his grave site. I wept and mourned for him, and told him all that was on my heart. I haven't gone back to visit his grave site. I said everything I could. I emptied myself. There is nothing more to say.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Right now. 5150. Me wise magic
    Last Online

10.17.21 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Since Al is an ordained minister, I wonder if heíll preside over a service?

Remember this?

Eddie and Alex Van Halen Attend Church in Trenton NJ

March 11, 2012

https://www.vhnd.com/2012/03/11/eddi...tudio-city-nj/
    I had that feeling too. If thereís a church service, he could be doing it.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Hmm...that's a toughy!
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Has the family had the service / funeral? Did I miss it?