Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:42 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Only funny thing they've done in the last 20 years was Celebrity Jeopardy when Sean Connery was a contestant.
    There have been plenty of funny things besides that in the past 20 years. Unfortunately, they're outnumbered by the unfunny things.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Today @ 07:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    There have been plenty of funny things besides that in the past 20 years. Unfortunately, they're outnumbered by the unfunny things.
    SNL went from 80/20 Funny to 20/80 funny or less.
    R.I.P. Edward Lodewijk Van Halen ~~ The Einstein of Rock Guitar ~~

3. DFVH5150, JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Today @ 09:08 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Back when SNL first aired nightclubs would have more people watching tvs than listening to the band or dancing when this show was on. Jane you ignorant slut was my favorite.

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk
    10-6-2020 RIP King of sixstrings.

5. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

There is supposed to be a big thing for Eddie at the RRHOF this year on November 7th at the ceremony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Bad Bill
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Today @ 05:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I just bought the rolling stone commemorative issue, i thought the whole book was going to be about Eddie. I also picked this up...
    https://www.amazon.com/EDDIE-HALEN-B...s=books&sr=1-1

the whole magazine is about Eddie, I found it at Kroger's for 12.99. It has some cool photos.
    GO PENS!!

"Have fun in Canada, Boomhauer. Don't you dare come back a hockey fan.​" - Hank Hill

8. Daisy Hill, ScottyBHarris Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Today @ 09:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-Liked

I started noticing how consistently unfunny it was becoming in '04 when I lived in Cleveland for a season, which is why I remember. All of the funny people were gone and the writing was starting to really dumb down. Prime example is Fallon and Horatio Sanz doing their Internet version of Wayne's World...ugh. There was certainly no originality and where's the jokes?

I'm not a huge Will Ferrell guy but I do like him, and after he left it was like that was it. There were no more big names that were funny any more after that. Jimmy Fallon is apparently likeable, which is why he's doing The Tonight Show, but he's not really funny. And he certainly doesn't have his own brand of unique comedy like all of his popular predecessors did and do. The only times he ever made me laugh were his Barry Gibb impersonation and when he and that Chris Parnell guy had perms and moustaches and said unfunny hacky things then giggled--like to the police when getting pulled over, airport security, etc. That's it. Other than that he just laughed incessantly and unnecessarily in skits to ruin them. That's funny when the skit is so funny the cast can't hold it in on rare occasion, but come the fuck on. He ruined that, too. And I always felt he was a Sandler rip-off anyway.

I though Samberg was awful, outside of his one big skit. Who else is there even who made it big? Seth Meyers? Ehh...one-trick pony and it isn't even that good ("said the..."). Sudeikis was alright, but he was funnier in movies after he left. Bill Hader and Will Forte were mediocre at best. Fred Armisen? He did a good Prince, but mediocre overall. At least he was unique though, I'll give him that.

I think as far as the women go, Molly Shannon and Cheri O'Teri were miles funnier than the ladies after who ended up with huge careers. Really the only talent after Ferrell were the ladies, and they aren't even that funny. Again, with the "uniqueness." I'd say Kristin Wiig was the funniest actor since Will. She was unique and brought some characters to the table. Tina Fey was alright. Maya Rudolph was alright. Amy Pohler's the fuckin' worst.

And the next group...oh Lord. Man I'd like to slap that unfunny fat fuck Bobby Moynihan. Cecily Strong and Kate McKinnon are talented but the writing is too terrible to enable them to be. Pete Davidson's decent. I can't even name any of the other men's names in the past decade because they suck so bad. Ah, Kyle Mooney, actually. He's about the unfunniest cast member in the show's history outside of Bobby Moynihan.

Are there even any reoccurring characters anymore (outside of Trump)? The only one I thought was funny was Will Forte's church group who were soft-spoken and someone would like slip them a roofie and it would show the hours hand go by on the clock and they would now be speaking in the same soft-mannered voices but talking about the most vile sexual things they were going to do each other that night, in orgy-form usually. Appreciated that one!

Speaking of politics, they always made fun of both sides but you could tell they were a little more on the left, of course. Now, it's...pathetic. Even if I hated Trump I wouldn't think it was funny because it's all they do and it's so one-sided now. That is not political comedy, it's preaching.

Since '03 I've watched about 1 hour's worth per season (at least most years) sporadically hoping there would be a resurgence of talented writers and actors. Ones that have an actual edge to them, and I don't know...some originality. Not this hacky, dumbed-down horrendous shit. But no, not even close almost 20 years later.

Maybe they need to bring Smigel back to the writing table. Hey, that was one of the last funny skits--TV Funhouse!

'70s, '80s, and '90s rule though. Where have all the Chevys, Bills, Gildas, Eddies, Dennises, Adams, and Chrises gone? And what the fuck is Lorne Michaels thinking?

Ah...good rant. Anything to take my mind off of EVH.
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 10.30.20 at 04:01 PM.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I think people might not remember how unfunny early shows were because of the iconic things that DID come out. There have always been a preponderance of bombed sketches every season. Although there were a few seasons that were downright horrible. Who knew Robert Downey Jr could be so bad?

11. jimmy812 Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I think people might not remember how unfunny early shows were because of the iconic things that DID come out. There have always been a preponderance of bombed sketches every season. Although there were a few seasons that were downright horrible. Who knew Robert Downey Jr could be so bad?
    Good point and true, but I think The Rover above summed it up best.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 08:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

SNL has always been where you can turn it off after the news, unless a musical act you like, which is very rare.
    Jeopardy is funny, black jeopardy, and family feud is too. People either love it or hate it but the Californians always cracked me up
    Dealing with it.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Today @ 09:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I think Kenan Thompson is outstanding on SNL. Kate McKinnon is also excellent. When they hit they're very good, i just think the hit % isn't what is used to be.

15. PrideofPasadena Liked This Post
    I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Today @ 02:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Opening every episode with a straight parody of what happened in politics that week is the worst. The scripts write themselves, it's all too obvious. Exaggerated versions of reality is sometimes funny but it hasn't consistently worked on SNL politically since Dana Carvey. Once in a while, fine. Every week? I can't get past the opening anymore.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:42 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    I started noticing how consistently unfunny it was becoming in '04 when I lived in Cleveland for a season, which is why I remember. All of the funny people were gone and the writing was starting to really dumb down. Prime example is Fallon and Horatio Sanz doing their Internet version of Wayne's World...ugh. There was certainly no originality and where's the jokes?

I'm not a huge Will Ferrell guy but I do like him, and after he left it was like that was it. There were no more big names that were funny any more after that. Jimmy Fallon is apparently likeable, which is why he's doing The Tonight Show, but he's not really funny. And he certainly doesn't have his own brand of unique comedy like all of his popular predecessors did and do. The only times he ever made me laugh were his Barry Gibb impersonation and when he and that Chris Parnell guy had perms and moustaches and said unfunny hacky things then giggled--like to the police when getting pulled over, airport security, etc. That's it. Other than that he just laughed incessantly and unnecessarily in skits to ruin them. That's funny when the skit is so funny the cast can't hold it in on rare occasion, but come the fuck on. He ruined that, too. And I always felt he was a Sandler rip-off anyway.

I though Samberg was awful, outside of his one big skit. Who else is there even who made it big? Seth Meyers? Ehh...one-trick pony and it isn't even that good ("said the..."). Sudeikis was alright, but he was funnier in movies after he left. Bill Hader and Will Forte were mediocre at best. Fred Armisen? He did a good Prince, but mediocre overall. At least he was unique though, I'll give him that.

I think as far as the women go, Molly Shannon and Cheri O'Teri were miles funnier than the ladies after who ended up with huge careers. Really the only talent after Ferrell were the ladies, and they aren't even that funny. Again, with the "uniqueness." I'd say Kristin Wiig was the funniest actor since Will. She was unique and brought some characters to the table. Tina Fey was alright. Maya Rudolph was alright. Amy Pohler's the fuckin' worst.

And the next group...oh Lord. Man I'd like to slap that unfunny fat fuck Bobby Moynihan. Cecily Strong and Kate McKinnon are talented but the writing is too terrible to enable them to be. Pete Davidson's decent. I can't even name any of the other men's names in the past decade because they suck so bad. Ah, Kyle Mooney, actually. He's about the unfunniest cast member in the show's history outside of Bobby Moynihan.

Are there even any reoccurring characters anymore (outside of Trump)? The only one I thought was funny was Will Forte's church group who were soft-spoken and someone would like slip them a roofie and it would show the hours hand go by on the clock and they would now be speaking in the same soft-mannered voices but talking about the most vile sexual things they were going to do each other that night, in orgy-form usually. Appreciated that one!

Speaking of politics, they always made fun of both sides but you could tell they were a little more on the left, of course. Now, it's...pathetic. Even if I hated Trump I wouldn't think it was funny because it's all they do and it's so one-sided now. That is not political comedy, it's preaching.

Since '03 I've watched about 1 hour's worth per season (at least most years) sporadically hoping there would be a resurgence of talented writers and actors. Ones that have an actual edge to them, and I don't know...some originality. Not this hacky, dumbed-down horrendous shit. But no, not even close almost 20 years later.

Maybe they need to bring Smigel back to the writing table. Hey, that was one of the last funny skits--TV Funhouse!

'70s, '80s, and '90s rule though. Where have all the Chevys, Bills, Gildas, Eddies, Dennises, Adams, and Chrises gone? And what the fuck is Lorne Michaels thinking?

Ah...good rant. Anything to take my mind off of EVH.
    Bill Hader was much more than mediocre on SNL. Wiig was excellent, even though I didn't like every character she did. Pete Davidson is a waste. Ferrell was obviously a stud on SNL. I agree McKinnon and Strong are very talented (I think I have a little crush on Cecily--reminds me of an ex from college). Sudeikis was very serviceable on SNL. Shannon and O'Tieri were great. Forte and Armisen were unique voices on the show. I agree with you about Samberg and Meyers though.
    As far as casts go, the last one that was good, IMO was the one with Hader, Wiig, Sudeikis, Thompson, Fallon, etc. My personal all-time favorite cast member was Phil Hartman. My favorite cast was not the original one, so that may be telling. I preferred the one with Hartman, Lovitz, Carvey, Hooks, Dunn, Miller, etc. And then when most of them overlapped with Sandler, Farley, Spade, McDonald, etc.
    Regarding the political sketches, yeah they used to make fun of both sides--they went after Clinton pretty good. Sure, now, it can get a bit preachy. Donald does himself no favors though by making himself very ripe for parody.
    Anyway, the point is, for me, SNL is a habit on Saturday night, or on Sunday morning via a DVR viewing. So I'll keep on watching it, and mostly wasting my time. And, let's not forget, this is all subjective.

I still thought they should've re-aired the Valerie-hosted episode when Ed was the musical guest. They sometimes air an old episode at 10pm on Saturdays. Would've been nice to put that one on one of these past weeks.

18. DFVH5150, PrideofPasadena Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 08:53 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Be birds singing in the rose gardens of immortality, lions roaring in the forests of knowledge and wisdom.

-Baha'i Scriptures

20. VH1986, PT 5150 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I quit watching Saturday Night Live when they fired Norm MacDonald. The Weekend Update section with him was the only funny thing left on the show. For me, the glory days were '86 to '95. I hung around a few more seasons just for Norm.

As for the Eddie tribute mags, I'm sure Guitar World will do something. I may get that. Guitar World was basically his official unofficial magazine. If he had something he wanted to get off his chest, he did it in Guitar World. And of course, you'd get another transcription of Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love. Ha ha.

I remember buying an all Van Halen Magazine -- not sure who put it out Guitar World or Guitar Player maybe -- back in the early 90s. I read that thing cover to cover so many times. It was like the Holy Grail for me. So many interviews in that one. I wonder if its still at my parents' house.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

22. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Today @ 07:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

I don't think any MTV or US Radio Talk Show interviewer ever had the balls to do an interview like this by Bruna Lombadri. I think Alex is the smartest person in the room. I wish Howard Stern had interviewed just Alex at some time.

R.I.P. Edward Lodewijk Van Halen ~~ The Einstein of Rock Guitar ~~

24. JUNGLE DRUMMER, PT 5150 Liked This Post