Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Default Van Halen Family Will Search 5150 Vaults for Unreleased Songs -

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-...eleased-songs/

Van Halen manager Irving Azoff said Eddie Van Halen's family members will look through his famous home-studio vaults for unheard material that might be suitable for future release.

“Wolf and Alex will go up to 5150, the studio in Ed’s house,” Azoff admitted to Pollstar, though he noted “there’s been a lot of recording” at the studio over the years. So, he cautioned it's far too early to speculate about what might be found. “I can’t predict that for sure there will be anything new, but for sure they’re going to look at it.”

2. DFVH5150, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all the above
    Favorite VH Song

top jimmy
    Last Online

11.23.20 @ 02:38 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan Praiser5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I just hope it doesn't turn into a Janie Hendrix thing
    21 years old and dad has thrown him the keys to the car!!

4. Simon Ribeiro, GoKart Mozart Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

11.26.20 @ 06:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I wish them good-luck! It looks like a daunting task...

Around 3:20–the wall of tape

Last edited by LAD-1972; 10.08.20 at 02:42 PM.

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

In the MTV video from the late 90's Ed mentions that he computer he used to catalog all the material had taken a dump. I wonder if anybody was able to catalog it in the 20 years since then.

Also, I know Azoff was in the know, but this does seem a bit like speculation on his part to me.

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

10.09.20 @ 10:35 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Veteran5,000 VHL Life Points

Like I said in the other thread, If they did like what they did with The Beatles, take old track tapes (or whatever medium) and fashion new songs around them, and it was Dave, Alex, and Mike, then yeah I would be into that. To me then it would still be Van Halen.

But this notion of still touring without Ed - - umm no. It would not be Van Halen to me.

8. Edword Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.24.20 @ 12:32 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    In the MTV video from the late 90's Ed mentions that he computer he used to catalog all the material had taken a dump. I wonder if anybody was able to catalog it in the 20 years since then.

Also, I know Azoff was in the know, but this does seem a bit like speculation on his part to me.
    That's kind of how I took it as well. Unless he was told by Al and Wolf that they were going to do this, that was probably him being a Manager of the band (and brand) Van Halen and thinking that's what usually happens when the estate wants to make some easy money.

I get the sense that Al would nix anything (as is his right) if he thought Ed didn't want it heard, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I get that this is all part of us getting over this, but it feels a little weird to be talking about a future "Van Halen" project when Ed hasn't even been put to rest yet. There's a time and place for that, but I don't think it's now. Again, maybe I'm wrong about that, too.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

11.25.20 @ 02:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

As I said in the other thread, I'd be happy with just Van Hagar remasters.

Not to open a fresh wound, but now that VH as a "current" band is officially done... (still hurts to say that), there are likely a lot of possibilities that are now on the table that probably weren't before. They can release old stuff with Michael on bass without feeling like they're slighting Wolf. Similarly, they can now release Sammy stuff without feeling like they're slighting Dave. They can release the stuff they had done with Gary for the III follow up that got scrapped. And of course, if any of the unused songs from the ADKOT era are finished or close to it, those can come out too (assuming something can be worked out with Interscope). Basically, all eras of the band can now be released without reserve.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

11.03.20 @ 09:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Just go for it!

12. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

11.26.20 @ 02:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardPadawan Praiser

Initially I thought the same. But then I thought that there's a good chance this situation had already been discussed by Ed, Al, and Wolf a long time ago knowing that this would happen. Maybe Ed wanted certain things released to continue to provide a source of income for Al and Wolf. I would think Irving wouldn't say what he did without already knowing what might take place as it could potentially alienate the Van Halens from him.

14. Jack Panama Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

10.09.20 @ 10:35 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Veteran5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by jagerdave View Post
    Maybe Ed wanted certain things released to continue to provide a source of income for Al and Wolf.
    Yeah, I think that was a conversation that likely took place. I'd be baffled, truly baffled if it didn't.

16. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Dave's Dreidel Liked This Post
    Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.13.20 @ 10:25 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Has there ever been an artist who died, where unreleased material wasn't released afterwards at some point, be it by the label or family? In some cases, more music was released in death than when they were alive.

I am sure plenty of VH unreleased stuff will be released in the coming years, so it's not really much of a speculation.

I wonder if the Prince Sign Of The Times box set coming out would have been approved by him if he was still alive. Probably not.

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.19.20 @ 04:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePic Poster

Wasn't the band at some point during the Wolf era asking around LA for quality bootlegs and old demos that had leaked out? I remember reading about that, and I kinda took that to mean "we don't have good quality copies and/or ours are damaged or lost." Which wouldn't surprise me. EVH would go to photo sessions and throw his guitars in the back of truck with no case. I doubt he stores his old reels in a climate-controlled room. And the 5150 studio always came off as a little organized chaos.
    "We got the brand-new album, we got the brand-new songs, we got the brand-new equipment, we got the brand-new show... And we got the same ol' shitty attitude!" David Lee Roth, May 20, 1984 in San Diego

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    That's kind of how I took it as well. Unless he was told by Al and Wolf that they were going to do this, that was probably him being a Manager of the band (and brand) Van Halen and thinking that's what usually happens when the estate wants to make some easy money.

I get the sense that Al would nix anything (as is his right) if he thought Ed didn't want it heard, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I get that this is all part of us getting over this, but it feels a little weird to be talking about a future "Van Halen" project when Ed hasn't even been put to rest yet. There's a time and place for that, but I don't think it's now. Again, maybe I'm wrong about that, too.
    Yeah, it does feel a little weird to already be talking about what happens to the stuff in the vault (i.e. possible future recordings) so soon. There's certainly no ill intent, just a little selfishness. Heck, I'm guilty of that. I've been wishing for the vault stuff for years now. Hopefully one day in the future something arises from that.

But, I agree, I think Al will nix many things since he knows Ed wouldn't think it was up to par or worthy of being released.

20. PrideofPasadena Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Today @ 04:42 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-Liked

Someday.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

22. VH1986 Liked This Post
    Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough
    Last Online

Today @ 04:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Yeah, it does feel a little weird to already be talking about what happens to the stuff in the vault (i.e. possible future recordings) so soon. There's certainly no ill intent, just a little selfishness. Heck, I'm guilty of that. I've been wishing for the vault stuff for years now. Hopefully one day in the future something arises from that.

But, I agree, I think Al will nix many things since he knows Ed wouldn't think it was up to par or worthy of being released.

If Ed didn't want to open the vaults and asked Wolfgang and Alex not to do it, then case closed. I suppose he talked with them about it in the recent years.

However, if he liked the idea... again, at some point, take the music and work with the other VH guys to make an album, like Queen did after Freddie died, "Made in Heaven" style. Use EVH tapes with the best sound quality. Add bass lines and drums (or use the existing ones). Invite all the three ex-vocalist, maybe even some guest stars... Let them choose the songs they like, record vocals (or use the existing ones)... way to go. Just don't touch guitar parts.

Same for ADKOT sessions, unreleased III-era and "Van Hagar" songs, vault stuff...even though I am afraid that the older recordings might be of poor sound quality...
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"If you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup" - EVH, 1996

24. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post