Today @ 09:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by masong View Post
    I'm curious if anyone knows how far along the work with Dave in 2001-'02 got before it fell apart. I remember Mitch Malloy said that he told Ed to get back with Dave in around '02 and Ed got pissed and hung up.
    According to Roth (and his brief radio show in 2006), there are 5 or 6 fully recorded songs that he alleges are in the vein/tone of Van Halen.

She's as strong as the mountains, walks tall as a tree.

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

11.16.20 @ 09:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Rookie2,000 VHL Life PointsWell-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by nj958 View Post
    Absolutely no point in releasing inferior material which is what the Cherone era was.
    The family has to decide what to do, but I don't understand the thinking in this thread.
    It seems to have turned into a Hagar love fest over here.
    The Hagar era was not as productive. Hagar's work ethic was one of the reasons it all fell apart.
    They did three new Hagar songs on Best of Both Worlds and they were some of the worst crap Van Halen ever did.

When they got together and put out a very good studio album ADKOT they got shit on for going back and reworking and finally finishing some tracks like Big River(Big Trouble).
    Instead people want to hear the inferior Big Trouble. It's all online go listen to it there.

It won't sound much better in any official release.

Absolutely disagree about the Cherone era. It is in no way "inferior". I get why people who don't like it. It wasn't Dave or Sam. But, inferior it is not. It was a different thematic and stylistic direction that Eddie 100% WANTED to be going in. I still quite like Iii. I always have. I REALLY want the second Gary album because it's a glimpse into that musical evolution was going through before shutting down for a decade. It won't be more of the same.

3. masong, DFVH5150, JUNGLE DRUMMER, Foamfoot, NDL Liked This Post
    Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Light IN The Sky
    Last Online

Today @ 10:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Edword View Post
    Absolutely disagree about the Cherone era. It is in no way "inferior". I get why people who don't like it. It wasn't Dave or Sam. But, inferior it is not. It was a different thematic and stylistic direction that Eddie 100% WANTED to be going in. I still quite like Iii. I always have. I REALLY want the second Gary album because it's a glimpse into that musical evolution was going through before shutting down for a decade. It won't be more of the same.
    I wish this stuff was released as it was written. I'd take VH with any singer over the crickets we heard from the VH camp from '99-'03.
    There's a thin line between genius and insanity. I like to dance on it.

"It's all success if it's what you need. Do what you like and do it honestly"

"If you want to be a rock star or just be famous, then run down the street naked, you'll make the news or something. But if you want music to be your livelihood, then play, play, play and play! And eventually you'll get to where you want to be." RIP EVH

5. DFVH5150, JUNGLE DRUMMER, NDL Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Today @ 11:01 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by masong View Post
    Man I hope Closer To You gets put out. The song was confirmed to have been recorded as Fairbairn's version, not sure if Ballard's Between Us Two got finalised, I know there was a lot of infighting occurring at that point.

Supposedly Eddie Trunk has heard all or part of the Cherone follow up too...

I'm curious if anyone knows how far along the work with Dave in 2001-'02 got before it fell apart. I remember Mitch Malloy said that he told Ed to get back with Dave in around '02 and Ed got pissed and hung up.
    Was 2000-2001. That's as far as it got, at least as far as we know.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

Today @ 12:27 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

When Wolf is ready, probably after his solo album comes out, we may get some unreleased stuff from the vaults.
    I'd love cleaned up versions of the Warner Bros. Demos and the Gene Simmons Financed Demos.
    For me that would be the best place to start, maybe with a live album from the CVH era.
    I know Ed previously indicated the demo recordings had deteriorated somewhat, however I'm sure they can still be rescued.

Also, remasters of the Hagar albums are way overdue and a second BLU RAY/DVD of the video clips not included on the first one would be welcomed.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:03 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Olen View Post
    According to Roth (and his brief radio show in 2006), there are 5 or 6 fully recorded songs that he alleges are in the vein/tone of Van Halen.

8 songs then ........
    But 8 got done

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. DFVH5150, JUNGLE DRUMMER, NDL Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All with Eddie
    Favorite VH Song

All with Eddie
    Last Online

Today @ 08:07 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    RookieMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum Rookie-Of-The-Year

When Wolfgang is ready, I can't wait to hear his solo album. I am just glad that his Dad got to hear it.
    King Edward Lodewijk Van Halen

11. jimmy812, NDL Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

11.16.20 @ 09:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Rookie2,000 VHL Life PointsWell-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    When Wolfgang is ready, I can't wait to hear his solo album. I am just glad that his Dad got to hear it.

Anyone see the horrendous post some absolute scumbag made on Wolf's page?

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All with Eddie
    Favorite VH Song

All with Eddie
    Last Online

Today @ 08:07 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    RookieMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum Rookie-Of-The-Year

I haven't seen it. I can only imagine the vile.
    King Edward Lodewijk Van Halen

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

Today @ 12:27 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Yeah, I saw it. Written by a complete moron.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 07:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I always thought ADKOT should have been a double-album given the big gap of time since their last release. Plus, I'm a little greedy when it comes to VH music. It was cool they gave us 13 songs, though.
    Yeah, I never understood it when fans would say the album shouldve been SHORTER. SMFH.

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    3 Months Registered250 VHL Life Points

I don't get the hate for the Cherone era, it was a tiny part of Van Halen's history but he did the best job he could have done. I also see Without You, One I Want, Fire In The Hole, A Year To The Day as classic Van Halen tracks. It's not Roth or Hagar but the music is brilliant. I love Eddie's playing on VH3. If there is an album ready to go and unreleased from the Cherone era of Van Halen I also don't get why people would hate on hearing it just because the Cherone era of Van Halen was a short one and to Roth or Hagar fathful unwelcome. I have always been a huge fan of Eddie Van Halen and his technique and playing so who the singer is to me isn't that big of a deal. Of course DLR material will always be classic Van Halen in my book. This is about celebrating Eddie's legacy and artistry and it's the only thing that matters at this point. If they have an album ready to go might as well release it. I don't think the timing is bad at all, I think it's a perfect time to hear it. I crave unreleased Van Halen material, I don't care who sings it. Anyway Gary will always be Van Halen's third lead singer and at least to me if there is a done unreleased Van Halen record waiting for us, that is a pretty big deal imo. Release it please.
    Last edited by VHrox12; 10.30.20 at 11:44 PM.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardVHLinks Proud!Padawan Praiser

I don’t really like much of VHIII, but it would be great to hear the follow up. I don’t care if they took songs and re-worked and released them later.. it would be cool just to hear what the VHIII band did with them. I’ve heard Gary say multiple times that the follow up is much more like a VH record and that in hindsight it would probably have been better to release that record before the one they did. To have a better chance of getting the VHIII more accepted by a wider part of the VH fan base, I assume.

Has anybody really ever heard any detail on the real reason VH moved on from Gary. I’ve heard several comments that don’t make sense. Ed saying he knew it when he saw Gary on the first tour, etc. he knew it would never work. If that were really the case it doesn’t seem like they’d go in the studio and work up a second album.

I do remember reading a long time ago the record company heard the second record and demanded something for radio be recorded/added to it. I’ve always assumed that might have been a driver to for the Cherone split. Either they tried pretty hard and just couldn’t come up with a single the record company liked, and therefore pulled the plug (or were pressured to), or maybe Gary got frustrated and said screw it? Like he knew he could never satisfy either the VH fan base, or the record company, or both? Or the brothers pulled the plug for the same reason?

Whatever the reason, I’d love to know more detail about that split. Because what I’ve read/remember about it just doesn’t make much sense.
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS

"Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

"I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 11:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Yeah, I never understood it when fans would say the album shouldve been SHORTER. SMFH.
    Fans actually said that?? Wow. I can see a critic saying something stupid like that, but a fan?

I can sort of understand saying that about an album with at least one bad song. But, IMO, that is not the case at all with ADKOT.

19. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:40 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardPadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by belikemike View Post
    I don’t really like much of VHIII, but it would be great to hear the follow up. I don’t care if they took songs and re-worked and released them later.. it would be cool just to hear what the VHIII band did with them. I’ve heard Gary say multiple times that the follow up is much more like a VH record and that in hindsight it would probably have been better to release that record before the one they did. To have a better chance of getting the VHIII more accepted by a wider part of the VH fan base, I assume.

Has anybody really ever heard any detail on the real reason VH moved on from Gary. I’ve heard several comments that don’t make sense. Ed saying he knew it when he saw Gary on the first tour, etc. he knew it would never work. If that were really the case it doesn’t seem like they’d go in the studio and work up a second album.

I do remember reading a long time ago the record company heard the second record and demanded something for radio be recorded/added to it. I’ve always assumed that might have been a driver to for the Cherone split. Either they tried pretty hard and just couldn’t come up with a single the record company liked, and therefore pulled the plug (or were pressured to), or maybe Gary got frustrated and said screw it? Like he knew he could never satisfy either the VH fan base, or the record company, or both? Or the brothers pulled the plug for the same reason?

Whatever the reason, I’d love to know more detail about that split. Because what I’ve read/remember about it just doesn’t make much sense.
    If I remember correctly (and I could be completely wrong), Warner Brothers wasn't happy having Gary as the vocalist and was not digging what they heard of the follow up record. I seem to remember WB telling them that they weren't going to release that album and that VH needed to get Roth or Hagar back, and that's what ended Gary's stint in the band.