I'm New To Guitar / How Do I Play This?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Sinner's Swing!
    NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Carolina Foothills
    Posts
    862
    Posts Per Day
    0.14
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    170
    Likes (Received)
    61
    Thanks (Given)
    1245
    Thanks (Received)
    400


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default I'm New To Guitar / How Do I Play This?

    Hey Y'all:

    I am new to guitar; I have all this music inside my heart and head, yet I can't get it out of my fingers (yet). I also don't have anyone nearby to ask...

    The chord switches are easy - conceptually - but the one thing I can't get down is this:



    I wanna know what finger exercises can I do, to get the above lick down? I am talking about the fast finger action from section .41-.45?

    Thanks
    Our hearts' are with you Wolf, Al, and Janie; blessings upon you all.

    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

  2. track 5 Liked This Post
  3. #2
    The Full Bug
    CalFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.12.13
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,275
    Posts Per Day
    0.86
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    59
    Thanks (Given)
    697
    Thanks (Received)
    1856


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Just have the guitar in your hands a lot, unplugged, hammering up the frets. It doesn't have to be musical at this point, just work on muscle memory, one fret at a time, while watching TV etc... It also pays to practice pull offs back down at the same time. Some people, like me, find one easier than the other. I find hammer ons easy while pull offs are awkward.
    If you always search for bullshit on the Internet, all you ever read is bullshit

  4. NDL Liked This Post
  5. #3
    Sinner's Swing!
    NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Carolina Foothills
    Posts
    862
    Posts Per Day
    0.14
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    170
    Likes (Received)
    61
    Thanks (Given)
    1245
    Thanks (Received)
    400


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    Just have the guitar in your hands a lot, unplugged, hammering up the frets. It doesn't have to be musical at this point, just work on muscle memory, one fret at a time, while watching TV etc... It also pays to practice pull offs back down at the same time. Some people, like me, find one easier than the other. I find hammer ons easy while pull offs are awkward.
    Appreciate the reply.

    For some reason, as much as I have watched many "how to do hammer on's and pull offs - easy peasy" videos, I can't get those either.

    But I will work on muscle memory as you've suggested.
    Our hearts' are with you Wolf, Al, and Janie; blessings upon you all.

    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

  6. #4
    Super Duper Frontman
    track 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.04.00
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    8,733
    Posts Per Day
    1.16
    Last Online

    10.23.20 @ 05:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    319
    Likes (Received)
    92
    Thanks (Given)
    3612
    Thanks (Received)
    1276


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    If thats you playing dude? Very nice. You are playing great dude. Wish I could run that like you did. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

    You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

    "You stupid fuck!" Seen

    " that's so pussy ass" Brook.

    Aaron Rodgers and Danica Patrick split up after 2 years of fucking ....I mean dating. edwardv.

  7. #5
    "Whoa, this is heavy."
    Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,469
    Posts Per Day
    0.86
    Last Online

    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    377
    Likes (Received)
    546
    Thanks (Given)
    3312
    Thanks (Received)
    3913


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default I'm New To Guitar / How Do I Play This?

    In terms of targeting that specific run - get a metronome, practice it at half speed and as youíre comfortable bump yourself up by 5bpm till youíre at the recorded tempo.

    In terms of more broadly having the skill set to play runs similar to that - I would practice exercises that are all various iterations of the seven modes. Hammer ons up, pulls offs down. Up three strings, back one, up three. Alternate or economy picking, etc. John Petrucciís guitar discipline video has a lot for examples of these. And by using the modes you are not only practicing technique, youíre also reinforcing the scales needed to have the freedom to improvise anywhere on the fretboard in any key.

  8. NDL, CalFB Liked This Post
  9. #6
    I'm The One
    pickslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.02.04
    Age
    52
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,986
    Posts Per Day
    0.49
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    10.13.20 @ 06:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    248
    Likes (Received)
    159
    Thanks (Given)
    1490
    Thanks (Received)
    1264

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    I'm not expert and, at best, a mediocre player. But I find it helps to pick a "challenge lick" and play that over and over. Lately I've been playing the beginning of I'm the One. Just the initial swing lick with the pulloffs at the end. Then I stop and play it again. If it's sloppy, I slow it down and do it until it sounds right. Next time I try, it always seems to be easier. Not perfect, mind you, and I still can't play it at full speed. But I CAN play it, and I find it gives me the dexterity to play other, easier things with less difficulty.

    TK

  10. NDL Liked This Post
  11. #7
    Big Bad Bill
    Bugs Meanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.15.05
    Age
    49
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI
    Posts
    1,201
    Posts Per Day
    0.22
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

    Today @ 01:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    70
    Likes (Received)
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    247
    Thanks (Received)
    32


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION
    On the 5th string, pick the 4th fret w/your first finger, hammer 5th fret with your second finger, and then hammer the 7th fret with your 4th (pinky) finger (4,5,7). Do this over & over & over & over....

    When you're ready go from the 5th string to the 4th string. Same pattern (4,5,7). Then 5th string, 4th string, 3rd string. Then 5th string, 4th string, 3rd string, 2nd string.... etc

    When you can go 5th string to the 1st string (doesn't matter how fast or fluent) - move your hand position up one fret (5,6,8). Then (6,7,9)... etc all the way up the neck...

    Eventually it'll sound good

    ADVICE YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR
    Start with an easier song like Smoke on the Water

  12. NDL, marcin Liked This Post
  13. #8
    Sinner's Swing!
    NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Carolina Foothills
    Posts
    862
    Posts Per Day
    0.14
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    170
    Likes (Received)
    61
    Thanks (Given)
    1245
    Thanks (Received)
    400


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by track 5 View Post
    If thats you playing dude? Very nice. You are playing great dude. Wish I could run that like you did. Out.
    That ain't me playing - LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    In terms of targeting that specific run - get a metronome, practice it at half speed and as youíre comfortable bump yourself up by 5bpm till youíre at the recorded tempo.

    In terms of more broadly having the skill set to play runs similar to that - I would practice exercises that are all various iterations of the seven modes. Hammer ons up, pulls offs down. Up three strings, back one, up three. Alternate or economy picking, etc. John Petrucciís guitar discipline video has a lot for examples of these. And by using the modes you are not only practicing technique, youíre also reinforcing the scales needed to have the freedom to improvise anywhere on the fretboard in any key.
    Thanks Jedi...I will check out Petrucci's video...great suggestion


    Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    I'm not expert and, at best, a mediocre player. But I find it helps to pick a "challenge lick" and play that over and over. Lately I've been playing the beginning of I'm the One. Just the initial swing lick with the pulloffs at the end. Then I stop and play it again. If it's sloppy, I slow it down and do it until it sounds right. Next time I try, it always seems to be easier. Not perfect, mind you, and I still can't play it at full speed. But I CAN play it, and I find it gives me the dexterity to play other, easier things with less difficulty.

    TK
    Great idea...thanks for the suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION
    On the 5th string, pick the 4th fret w/your first finger, hammer 5th fret with your second finger, and then hammer the 7th fret with your 4th (pinky) finger (4,5,7). Do this over & over & over & over....

    When you're ready go from the 5th string to the 4th string. Same pattern (4,5,7). Then 5th string, 4th string, 3rd string. Then 5th string, 4th string, 3rd string, 2nd string.... etc

    When you can go 5th string to the 1st string (doesn't matter how fast or fluent) - move your hand position up one fret (5,6,8). Then (6,7,9)... etc all the way up the neck...

    Eventually it'll sound good

    ADVICE YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR
    Start with an easier song like Smoke on the Water
    You wrote in a way that a beginner can understand...thanks for your time and excellent suggestion
    Our hearts' are with you Wolf, Al, and Janie; blessings upon you all.

    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

  14. Bugs Meanie, track 5 Liked This Post
  15. #9
    Sinner's Swing!
    NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Carolina Foothills
    Posts
    862
    Posts Per Day
    0.14
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    170
    Likes (Received)
    61
    Thanks (Given)
    1245
    Thanks (Received)
    400


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    (double post)
    Last edited by NDL; 08.20.20 at 11:31 AM.
    Our hearts' are with you Wolf, Al, and Janie; blessings upon you all.

    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

  16. #10
    I'm The One
    pickslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.02.04
    Age
    52
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,986
    Posts Per Day
    0.49
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    10.13.20 @ 06:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    248
    Likes (Received)
    159
    Thanks (Given)
    1490
    Thanks (Received)
    1264

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Also, if you haven't already ready, learn the hammer-on run in the solo to You Really Got Me. As a beginner, I couldn't really do hammer-ons at all in a musical context. But that particular passage is pretty simple from a hammer-on perspective, and I found playing that over and over somehow loosened up my third finger, which was giving me fits when I tried to do hammer-ons. It will also teach you where to put your thumb on the neck to be comfortable using that technique.

    TK

  17. NDL Liked This Post
  18. #11
    Bullethead
    marcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.03.05
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    481
    Posts Per Day
    0.09
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Good Enough
    Last Online

    Today @ 02:58 PM
    Likes (Given)
    38
    Likes (Received)
    33
    Thanks (Given)
    110
    Thanks (Received)
    123

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION
    On the 5th string, pick the 4th fret w/your first finger, hammer 5th fret with your second finger, and then hammer the 7th fret with your 4th (pinky) finger (4,5,7). Do this over & over & over & over....

    When you're ready go from the 5th string to the 4th string. Same pattern (4,5,7). Then 5th string, 4th string, 3rd string. Then 5th string, 4th string, 3rd string, 2nd string.... etc

    When you can go 5th string to the 1st string (doesn't matter how fast or fluent) - move your hand position up one fret (5,6,8). Then (6,7,9)... etc all the way up the neck...

    Eventually it'll sound good
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    ADVICE YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR
    Start with an easier song like Smoke on the Water
    Alwayas a great idea to begin with the easier stuff. I bet NDL is going to simply play the lick over and over instead of getting

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    a metronome

    and practicing

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    exercises that are all various iterations of the seven modes.
    I guess NDL doesn't even know the difference between Mixolydian and Lydian mode. (I don't know and I can't be bothered to find out.) By the way, NDL, what songs can you play on guitar (the whole thing, not just bits and pieces)? That would help mucho. Maybe you are way better than me.

    I guess that
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    John Petrucciís guitar discipline video has a lot for examples of these.
    but I suppose that chromatic scales and exercises would bore NDL to death. In addition, I bet he would soon start getting bored with Petrucci's "blah blah blah".

    While it may be right that
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    by using the modes you are not only practicing technique, youíre also reinforcing the scales needed to have the freedom to improvise anywhere on the fretboard in any key.
    you don't need to know all of that unless you want to learn how to imporvise.

    Just play the song. Take your time. Eventually it'll sound good. It's just a matter of time and space.
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

    "If you ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup" - EVH, 1996

  19. Bugs Meanie, NDL Liked This Post
  20. #12
    "Whoa, this is heavy."
    Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,469
    Posts Per Day
    0.86
    Last Online

    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    377
    Likes (Received)
    546
    Thanks (Given)
    3312
    Thanks (Received)
    3913


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    All fair points, Marcin. But I think there's a lot more value to the seven modes than just improvisational skills. By using them to practice/increase dexterity you're not only opening doors to improvisation but also familiarizing yourself with the core building blocks of most lead lines, which makes learning easier as well. If you're learning a lead or riff and recognize the scale it's being played in then learning the rest of that part becomes a lot easier as you now know the general framework the part should be structured around.

  21. NDL Liked This Post
  22. #13
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    76,425
    Posts Per Day
    9.89
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    189
    Likes (Received)
    1315
    Thanks (Given)
    2125
    Thanks (Received)
    14173

    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default I'm New To Guitar / How Do I Play This?

    I think the big thing when it comes to playing runs like this is not to cheat and just try to play fast because thatís not the goal. You need to start slow and practice it over over again until you develop the muscle memory that will allow you to play it quickly. Just trying to fumble through it to play fast will never make you a better player. So itís going take some time, but itíll come working with a metronome like Jedi suggested.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

    Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!



  23. NDL Liked This Post
  24. #14
    Sinner's Swing!
    NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Carolina Foothills
    Posts
    862
    Posts Per Day
    0.14
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    170
    Likes (Received)
    61
    Thanks (Given)
    1245
    Thanks (Received)
    400


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    Also, if you haven't already ready, learn the hammer-on run in the solo to You Really Got Me. As a beginner, I couldn't really do hammer-ons at all in a musical context. But that particular passage is pretty simple from a hammer-on perspective, and I found playing that over and over somehow loosened up my third finger, which was giving me fits when I tried to do hammer-ons. It will also teach you where to put your thumb on the neck to be comfortable using that technique.

    TK
    Thanks for the helpful suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post
    ) By the way, NDL, what songs can you play on guitar (the whole thing, not just bits and pieces)? That would help mucho. Maybe you are way better than me.
    Appreciate the reply.

    As to what I can play? Not a single song (in full); I can play the intro to runaround, sweet home alabama, etc. I am very new; I completed Justin Guitar's intro course - which consisted mostly of chord changes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I think the big thing when it comes to playing runs like this is not to cheat and just try to play fast because thatís not the goal. You need to start slow and practice it over over again until you develop the muscle memory that will allow you to play it quickly. Just trying to fumble through it to play fast will never make you a better player. So itís going take some time, but itíll come working with a metronome like Jedi suggested.
    Appreciate the reply Brett; you keyed me in when you spoke of developing muscle memory; I didn't think of that until you mentioned it, but now the concept clicked in my mind.
    Our hearts' are with you Wolf, Al, and Janie; blessings upon you all.

    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

  25. #15
    "Whoa, this is heavy."
    Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,469
    Posts Per Day
    0.86
    Last Online

    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    377
    Likes (Received)
    546
    Thanks (Given)
    3312
    Thanks (Received)
    3913


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default I'm New To Guitar / How Do I Play This?

    Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    As to what I can play? Not a single song (in full); I can play the intro to runaround, sweet home alabama, etc. I am very new; I completed Justin Guitar's intro course - which consisted mostly of chord changes.
    If youíre this early in your guitar journey Iíd recommend starting with some simpler VH songs.

    Runnin with the Devil, Jamieís Cryiní, Ainít Talkiní Bout Love, Jump, and Panama are my recommendations. Probably in that order, too. Learn the full songs to the best of your ability one at a time.
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 08.23.20 at 04:40 AM.

  26. pickslide Liked This Post
 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What was your first VH song you can play on guitar?
    By HugeVHfan in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03.18.05, 09:02 AM
  2. so i wanna play guitar...
    By the insider in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01.15.05, 05:45 PM
  3. learning to play the guitar
    By seriousjuju in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03.25.01, 08:30 PM
  4. What is the hardest thing you play or try to play on guitar??
    By Unchained Wolfie in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09.27.00, 11:37 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04.28.00, 08:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •