Edward Van Halen live - Universal City, CA October 16, 1996 VH1 All Star Band! - Page 4
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  35
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    D.O.A.
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    But EVH was never a jazz dude who could just show up and give you some "EVH" on demand, at a moment's notice. He's played with the same guys his whole life. He's not a session guy or a sideman. When he went on Letterman, they played VH songs, for the most part.
    Yes, I agree.

Because he's the greatest rock guitar player of all time, some ppl seem to expect him to be able to do anything on guitar.
    Some probably do. I don't. As a musician you can find yourself sorta boxed in by your own doing sometimes, and I've found a good way to break out of that and find new creative ground is to try things that are out of my box, so to speak, and even radically different from what I'm accustomed to playing or grew up listening to. You mentioned jazz. Who knows how Ed's style and music may have evolved even further outward had he got bent on some jazz in his spare time, and how the odd little thing from that experience may sneak into his playing with VH. Not saying it would turn VH into a jazz band at all. He'd still be 100% EVH. Just with that much more in the muscle memory and creative reserve naturally influencing his attack on the VH stuff. That's what I meant by when someone hits and a creative wall, often due to the neglect of challenging ones self by exploring outside of their box.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

It's like some people criticizing Neil Peart when he did his jazz record, that he didn't swing enough, yada yada yada.

They were like "WHAT?!?!?! He's not the best rock AND the best jazz drummer in the world?!?!!? WTF??! Someone lied to us, waaaaaaaaahhhh!"

No, he was the best at what he did, but if you had him play another style of music, he doesn't suck, but he's far from the best. You couldn't expect him to match guys who have played this style all their lives, for hundreds or thousands of shows. Neil had been playing "Working Man" and "Tom Sawyer" all his life. Expectations have to be managed realistically.
    Little Dreamer

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 02:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I think knowing the chord changes before going up on stage is something Ed could have easily done, in his comfort zone or not.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

"Whoa, this is heavy."
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:38 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Expecting Ed to have done a better job playing for the songs at this gig is not unreasonable. Like DD said, he just didnít learn the tunes (or care), so he tapped his way through them.

This isnít like asking Ed to play flamenco or Jazz with supreme authenticity. These are basic tunes rooted in rock, firmly within Edís ability.

5. PrideofPasadena Liked This Post