Edward Van Halen live - Universal City, CA October 16, 1996 VH1 All Star Band! - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  35
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

08.06.20 @ 09:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    "Here's a little diddy about Sammy and Dave, the guys that almost sent me to an early grave."
    Sammy gonna be, a TV star...
    Dave gonna find, a headless body at a topless bar.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

2. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 08:01 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I remember a Guitar World interview Eddie did to promote Balance. He said he'd been approached several times to do Unplugged for MTV. Eddie was like, "Hey if I wanted to play those songs with acoustic guitars, I would've written them that way. I'm not an unplugged guy."
    The guy was always so stupidly behind the curve when it came to opportunities. Would make the most ridiculous excuses.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

08.06.20 @ 09:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    The guy was always so stupidly behind the curve when it came to opportunities. Would make the most ridiculous excuses.
    Instead of "Who the fuck is Eddie Van Halen?", his shirt should have just, "Nah..."
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

5. CaboChris Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Instead of "Who the fuck is Eddie Van Halen?", his shirt should have just, "Nah..."
    And wasn't he the one who composed some 6 pack songs on piano first? So following Ed logic...

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 08:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I have said for years that the Eddie simply got lazy on guitar after 1984. His technique went downhill. He brought that part of it back for Balance and VH3 but even then it was so saturated with overdrive, he wasn't the same player. I also think that to improve as a guitarist, you have to try to emulate other guitarists or listen to them. He certainly did that back in the club days and his love of Holdsworth was key from FW to 84. Then he stopped. Listen to Starfleet and this. He spent so much time being Eddie Van Halen, he simply forgot how to simply be a guitarist. Its kind of like Al Pacino. Dude is or was a great actor. Then suddenly he started yelling in his films and now he simply does that in everything. Its still acting but sometimes it doesn't fit.

Anyway this is still cool to watch. I never seen the full clip.
    I guess you haven't seen The Irishman...
    Little Dreamer

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 08:37 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

DLR once made the following very poignant comment about EVH:

"Ed has carved out his own little corner of the universe, and what he does, he does better than anybody else."
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

9. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I remember a Guitar World interview Eddie did to promote Balance. He said he'd been approached several times to do Unplugged for MTV. Eddie was like, "Hey if I wanted to play those songs with acoustic guitars, I would've written them that way. I'm not an unplugged guy."

As for the All-Star Band thing, I watched and recorded it when it originally aired. I thought Eddie was wildly out of place. He rarely plays outside of Van Halen and it showed. His playing is so different, that it sticks out over everything. Its possible that he was nervous. His tone sounded strange--maybe this was during his love affair with the sustainer. Sambora actually played a couple of solos that I thought sounded better. The only tune I thought Eddie sounded good on was The Rolling Stones song Bitch. That song has a strong riff which is one of Eddie's strengths. Sheryl Crow's singing was terrible though. I can't stand her singing in general though. She's tone deaf in my opinion.

The thing with Eddie is that everyone expects a masterpiece every time he picks up a guitar. That is usually the case, but not this time.
    "Bitch" sounded good, but "I Fought The Law" doesn't need tapping, that's for sure. Ed's tone was good. His rhythm playing fit the songs better. Not many of them worked well with technically advanced solos.
    Little Dreamer

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I guess you haven't seen The Irishman...
    Pacino redeemed himself to me in that role. I agree with Ziggy though.

12. Little Dreamer Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Today @ 09:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    And for whatever reason, he could never just say, "I dunno, man. Never really thought about it. Maybe we'll try it someday." No need for the passive-aggressive swipe. Just be cordial and say maybe.

TK

14. CaboChris Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.15.20 @ 11:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

You can tap your way thru Rock n Roll or Won't Get Fooled Again but not songs like these. Not sure what he thinking there. I guess Paul just told him to do your thing. Bad idea. He needed to stay in the pentatonic box for this stuff. Ritchie's playing fit perfectly.

Never the less, it was cool to see him up there and the band was great. Thought his tone was decent. Probably not the right fit for the tunes, but good.

16. jimmy812 Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

SGMAD
    Last Online

09.03.20 @ 06:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I think it's funny, looking at the body language of the others on the stage, including Sambora standing right next to Ed. He's jealous of Eddie and perhaps miffed that Ed gets all the solos. During the performance Ed spends a lot of time looking over at others and smiling at them, but no one ever glances back, acknowledges or gives him the time of day. Well, except for when Crow acts like she's about to go down on him. But notice between songs and after the performance when they're all congratulating each other, no one's paling it up at all with Ed. With all due respect to Winwood, Henley, Mellencamp and whoever boring else was up there, I think they are a bunch of hoity-toity has-beens whose music was, let's face it, mostly uninteresting. Perhaps Ed's continuous harmonic dive bombs and same five solo licks we've all heard in every VH song after 1984, aren't the right fit for this performance, these people don't know greatness since they can't acknowledge Ed. EVH doesn't get the respect he deserves from these older has beens and it's clear in this video.

18. I Coulda Hada VH, JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 04:08 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by kydtsoos View Post
    I think it's funny, looking at the body language of the others on the stage, including Sambora standing right next to Ed. He's jealous of Eddie and perhaps miffed that Ed gets all the solos. During the performance Ed spends a lot of time looking over at others and smiling at them, but no one ever glances back, acknowledges or gives him the time of day. Well, except for when Crow acts like she's about to go down on him. But notice between songs and after the performance when they're all congratulating each other, no one's paling it up at all with Ed. With all due respect to Winwood, Henley, Mellencamp and whoever boring else was up there, I think they are a bunch of hoity-toity has-beens whose music was, let's face it, mostly uninteresting. Perhaps Ed's continuous harmonic dive bombs and same five solo licks we've all heard in every VH song after 1984, aren't the right fit for this performance, these people don't know greatness since they can't acknowledge Ed. EVH doesn't get the respect he deserves from these older has beens and it's clear in this video.
    I remember thinking some of these same things when I first saw this years ago. None of these people will ever approach Ed's class as a virtuoso musician, even if maybe he is awkward and out of place at times in performances like these.

20. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    D.O.A.
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Today @ 08:55 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

I agree about Ed's solo's from around '84 on being in many cases retreads of what he'd done before (yeah, his creativity was sparked again for a while when Sammy joined, but that waned again pretty quickly too,) and an EVH improv solo is typically the Beat It solo. I noticed it in these Universal City band tunes as well.
    I think he pretty much hit a creative wall at some point and quit really challenging himself on incorporating new and different things into his playing.

Not dissing Ed at all. Dude's a master at what he does. I do think he could have taken it quite a bit further though. I know it sounds kinda funny saying that about someone who smashed so many guitarist molds and pushed so many limits and revolutionized the electric guitar, but.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

22. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 08:37 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    I agree about Ed's solo's from around '84 on being in many cases retreads of what he'd done before (yeah, his creativity was sparked again for a while when Sammy joined, but that waned again pretty quickly too,) and an EVH improv solo is typically the Beat It solo. I noticed it in these Universal City band tunes as well.
    I think he pretty much hit a creative wall at some point and quit really challenging himself on incorporating new and different things into his playing.

Not dissing Ed at all. Dude's a master at what he does. I do think he could have taken it quite a bit further though. I know it sounds kinda funny saying that about someone who smashed so many guitarist molds and pushed so many limits and revolutionized the electric guitar, but.
    I think Ed's mindset was sort of "been there done that" once Sammy replaced Dave. He still wrote A LOT of great music, but, for me, it was just never the same after 1984.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

24. Wruff_ajax, JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post

But EVH was never a jazz dude who could just show up and give you some "EVH" on demand, at a moment's notice. He's played with the same guys his whole life. He's not a session guy or a sideman. When he went on Letterman, they played VH songs, for the most part.
    Because he's the greatest rock guitar player of all time, some ppl seem to expect him to be able to do anything on guitar.
    Little Dreamer