How Music Is Remembered - Identifying Generational Gaps in Music
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    The Full Bug
    Naked Wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.09
    Age
    50
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    1,925
    Posts Per Day
    0.38
    Favorite VH Album

    Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    12.08.22 @ 07:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    253
    Likes (Received)
    175
    Thanks (Given)
    284
    Thanks (Received)
    296

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default How Music Is Remembered - Identifying Generational Gaps in Music

    This is an interesting project that looks at which hit songs are
    remembered across generations, which ones stay within a specific
    generation, and which just fade into obscurity. They're looking at music
    from the '90s, which is 30 years ago and thus stretches across four or
    more generational cohorts.

    How Music is Remembered

    https://pudding.cool/2020/04/music-challenge/

    In PART 1: Identifying Your Generational Gaps in Music, you listen to
    a few song clips from the 1990s and give a rating from "Don't know it"
    to "Singing the lyrics."

    PART 2: Defining the Music, Canon explains how they use these
    statistics. The Pudding does a lot of data visualization, so groovy
    little charts abound.

    You can take multiple tests. I knew at least 60% of the songs from all decades and
    clicked "sounds familiar" to at least 1 more in each decade, except
    for the 2000's, which I only knew 3 songs, which were the
    non-rap/hip-hop tunes. For reference, I was born in 1972. The decade
    I recognized the most songs from was the 70's at 70% recognized and
    2 "sounds familiar." I thought I would do equally as well in the '80s but
    I was only at 60%, and I faired the same for the '90s.

  2. PrideofPasadena, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
  3. #2
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    9,462
    Posts Per Day
    2.56
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    09.07.22 @ 01:16 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2215
    Likes (Received)
    808
    Thanks (Given)
    6541
    Thanks (Received)
    4055

    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    This is an interesting project that looks at which hit songs are
    remembered across generations, which ones stay within a specific
    generation, and which just fade into obscurity. They're looking at music
    from the '90s, which is 30 years ago and thus stretches across four or
    more generational cohorts.

    How Music is Remembered

    https://pudding.cool/2020/04/music-challenge/

    In PART 1: Identifying Your Generational Gaps in Music, you listen to
    a few song clips from the 1990s and give a rating from "Don't know it"
    to "Singing the lyrics."

    PART 2: Defining the Music, Canon explains how they use these
    statistics. The Pudding does a lot of data visualization, so groovy
    little charts abound.

    You can take multiple tests. I knew at least 60% of the songs from all decades and
    clicked "sounds familiar" to at least 1 more in each decade, except
    for the 2000's, which I only knew 3 songs, which were the
    non-rap/hip-hop tunes. For reference, I was born in 1972. The decade
    I recognized the most songs from was the 70's at 70% recognized and
    2 "sounds familiar." I thought I would do equally as well in the '80s but
    I was only at 60%, and I faired the same for the '90s.
    Interesting. Basically, this is telling ya nothing is getting passed down to Generation Z. LOL.
    I mean, big rock acts they're getting familiar with, Zeppelin, VH, Stones....but pop rock and pop songs from the past. They're never gonna know much of that. Not sure they're as into music as our generation was.

    You can tell X loved music. We know a lot that came before us. I don't see how to take the other decade tests but I know I'd do well.
    I got 90% on the 90's test. Didn't know the Bone Thugs tune.

  4. #3
    The Full Bug
    Naked Wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.09
    Age
    50
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    1,925
    Posts Per Day
    0.38
    Favorite VH Album

    Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    12.08.22 @ 07:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    253
    Likes (Received)
    175
    Thanks (Given)
    284
    Thanks (Received)
    296

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Interesting. Basically, this is telling ya nothing is getting passed down to Generation Z. LOL.
    I mean, big rock acts they're getting familiar with, Zeppelin, VH, Stones....but pop rock and pop songs from the past. They're never gonna know much of that. Not sure they're as into music as our generation was.

    You can tell X loved music. We know a lot that came before us. I don't see how to take the other decade tests but I know I'd do well.
    I got 90% on the 90's test. Didn't know the Bone Thugs tune.
    after you're done taking the test, scroll back up and click on the link that says "Quiz yourself on 10 more songs." Once you do that, you can pick the decade you want, ranging from the '60's to the '00's. Most of the 2000's is rap/hip-hop. Maybe 3 or 4 are rock/alternative.

  5. Simon Ribeiro, PrideofPasadena Liked This Post
  6. #4
    Soclal Media Manager
    Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    52
    Location
    P.F. Chang, South Korea
    Posts
    63,599
    Posts Per Day
    9.72
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 03:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    2618
    Likes (Received)
    10283
    Thanks (Given)
    5473
    Thanks (Received)
    26012

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

    Default

    Did all five decades, I only knew 25 out of 50, and that is after going 10/10 on the 1980's.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

  7. Naked Wake Liked This Post
  8. #5
    Hot For Teacher
    wombattt's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.12.04
    Posts
    12,985
    Posts Per Day
    1.92
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Constantly Changes
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    1389
    Likes (Received)
    2729
    Thanks (Given)
    668
    Thanks (Received)
    1031

    Achievements:
    Knight Of Da RoundtableMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Huh? It only let me listen to snippets from the 90s?
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

  9. #6
    The Full Bug
    Naked Wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.09
    Age
    50
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    1,925
    Posts Per Day
    0.38
    Favorite VH Album

    Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    12.08.22 @ 07:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    253
    Likes (Received)
    175
    Thanks (Given)
    284
    Thanks (Received)
    296

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    Huh? It only let me listen to snippets from the 90s?
    scroll back up and click on 'Quiz yourself on 10 more songs" and then choose the decade you want from the '60's to the 2000's.

  10. #7
    Hot For Teacher
    wombattt's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.12.04
    Posts
    12,985
    Posts Per Day
    1.92
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Constantly Changes
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 09:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    1389
    Likes (Received)
    2729
    Thanks (Given)
    668
    Thanks (Received)
    1031

    Achievements:
    Knight Of Da RoundtableMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    scroll back up and click on 'Quiz yourself on 10 more songs" and then choose the decade you want from the '60's to the 2000's.
    Thanks...got 34 of 40.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

  11. Naked Wake Liked This Post
  12. #8
    Unchained
    Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    59,626
    Posts Per Day
    10.10
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2023
    Likes (Received)
    5167
    Thanks (Given)
    2544
    Thanks (Received)
    11834

    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

    Default

    28/50 & I have absolutely no shame for the ones I couldn't name.


  13. Naked Wake Liked This Post
  14. #9
    The Full Bug
    Naked Wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.09
    Age
    50
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    1,925
    Posts Per Day
    0.38
    Favorite VH Album

    Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    12.08.22 @ 07:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    253
    Likes (Received)
    175
    Thanks (Given)
    284
    Thanks (Received)
    296

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    Thanks...got 34 of 40.
    that's impressive. Good job!

  15. #10
    The Full Bug
    Naked Wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.09
    Age
    50
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    1,925
    Posts Per Day
    0.38
    Favorite VH Album

    Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    12.08.22 @ 07:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    253
    Likes (Received)
    175
    Thanks (Given)
    284
    Thanks (Received)
    296

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Interesting. Basically, this is telling ya nothing is getting passed down to Generation Z. LOL.
    I mean, big rock acts they're getting familiar with, Zeppelin, VH, Stones....but pop rock and pop songs from the past. They're never gonna know much of that. Not sure they're as into music as our generation was.

    You can tell X loved music. We know a lot that came before us. I don't see how to take the other decade tests but I know I'd do well.
    I got 90% on the 90's test. Didn't know the Bone Thugs tune.
    in reflecting back on your comments, this is kind of our fault if music didn't get past us. Yes, our generation loves music and it seems most of us are familiar with music from previous generations, but we obviously didn't do a very good job of passing the torch.

  16. #11
    Everybody Wants Some!!

    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Posts
    38,057
    Posts Per Day
    9.55
    Favorite VH Album

    The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 07:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    3748
    Likes (Received)
    3317
    Thanks (Given)
    22621
    Thanks (Received)
    19663

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

    Default

    That was pretty cool . I got 52 out of 60
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

    "But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

    "Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

    'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

    "I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

    "My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

    "But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

  17. Naked Wake Liked This Post
  18. #12
    Unchained
    Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    59,626
    Posts Per Day
    10.10
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2023
    Likes (Received)
    5167
    Thanks (Given)
    2544
    Thanks (Received)
    11834

    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    That was pretty cool . I got 52 out of 60
    I thought there were only 50 possible choices.

  19. #13
    Unchained
    Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    59,626
    Posts Per Day
    10.10
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2023
    Likes (Received)
    5167
    Thanks (Given)
    2544
    Thanks (Received)
    11834

    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    in reflecting back on your comments, this is kind of our fault if music didn't get past us. Yes, our generation loves music and it seems most of us are familiar with music from previous generations, but we obviously didn't do a very good job of passing the torch.
    Digital music tripped the runner and rap stole the torch while he was down.

  20. Naked Wake Liked This Post
  21. #14
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    50
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    34,274
    Posts Per Day
    8.37
    Last Online

    12.07.22 @ 11:03 AM
    Likes (Given)
    4378
    Likes (Received)
    6193
    Thanks (Given)
    5090
    Thanks (Received)
    10270


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Digital music tripped the runner and rap stole the torch while he was down.
    Rap stole the torch long before digital.

  22. #15
    Unchained
    Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    59,626
    Posts Per Day
    10.10
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2023
    Likes (Received)
    5167
    Thanks (Given)
    2544
    Thanks (Received)
    11834

    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

    Default

    OK... Rap mugged the runner and took his torch and digital kicked him in the nutsack while he was down

  23. CaboChris, Naked Wake Liked This Post
 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Is there hope for rock music? re: billboard #1 and youtube featured music video
    By VF5150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12.15.08, 08:05 PM
  2. Music Quizzes--Test Your Music Knowledge
    By SNIC in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10.01.08, 08:15 PM
  3. Universal Music Group Fined Over Lyndsey Lohan's Shitty Music
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05.14.06, 12:55 AM
  4. Universal Music Group Fined Over Lyndsey Lohan's Shitty Music
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05.13.06, 04:42 PM
  5. How To Tell Good Music From Bad Music - A Report
    By TheresOnlyOneWay in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04.04.05, 12:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •