The Alex Van Halen appreciation thread - Page 3
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
  1. #31
    Soclal Media Manager
    Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    49
    Location
    P.F. Chang, South Korea
    Posts
    52,392
    Posts Per Day
    9.14
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    Today @ 10:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    316
    Likes (Received)
    1344
    Thanks (Given)
    5473
    Thanks (Received)
    26012

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    I'll never understand people's hate of Doin Time, other than it ends right as he's starting to cook. He's really starting to blaze the last 30-40 seconds and then it's over. I wouldve liked it to be a minute or two longer.
    I think it is boring and repetitive and not even remotely as good as anything he has done live.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

  2. #32
    I'm The One

    Join Date
    06.01.03
    Location
    Pasadena, TX
    Posts
    2,754
    Posts Per Day
    0.44
    Last Online

    08.28.20 @ 04:53 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    9
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    16

    Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    I been playing drums since I was 11 and have always heard "Alex is not in Bonham and Peart's league!". This statement is total nonsense. Typically these are non-drummers who do not have a good understanding of the complexities of advanced drumming. I can play most of Zeppelin and Rush's catalog fairly easily (thanks to my older guitar playing brother who only wanted to play Zep and Rush.....we'd play the 1st side of 2112 when I was 14). Where I have challenges with Alex's stuff is on tunes like "Source of Infection" and "HFT". Alex is one of the rare breeds that can play triplets on the ride cymbal while double bassing AND playing fills concurrently. This is very difficult to do. "Mine All Mine" is another good example where Alex is playing a syncopated double bass pattern while keeping his hands full with intricate cymbal work. That being said.....I put Alex up there along with Peart and Bonham on the Mount Rushmore of rock drummers.

  3. #33
    Hang 'Em High
    JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,451
    Posts Per Day
    3.56
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2850
    Likes (Received)
    873
    Thanks (Given)
    48590
    Thanks (Received)
    14288

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TOM_5150 View Post
    I been playing drums since I was 11 and have always heard "Alex is not in Bonham and Peart's league!". This statement is total nonsense. Typically these are non-drummers who do not have a good understanding of the complexities of advanced drumming. I can play most of Zeppelin and Rush's catalog fairly easily (thanks to my older guitar playing brother who only wanted to play Zep and Rush.....we'd play the 1st side of 2112 when I was 14). Where I have challenges with Alex's stuff is on tunes like "Source of Infection" and "HFT". Alex is one of the rare breeds that can play triplets on the ride cymbal while double bassing AND playing fills concurrently. This is very difficult to do. "Mine All Mine" is another good example where Alex is playing a syncopated double bass pattern while keeping his hands full with intricate cymbal work. That being said.....I put Alex up there along with Peart and Bonham on the Mount Rushmore of rock drummers.
    Well said. Whenever someone says Alex "stole" the HFT beat from Billy Cobham's Quadrant 9, I always point out that nowhere in Quadrant did Billy play triplets on the ride. Alex really never gets enough credit for his technical abilities, which are actually superb. LOC is another song that features terrific ride cymbal play while he has the double bass humming like an engine.

  4. I Coulda Hada VH, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
  5. #34
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,687
    Posts Per Day
    1.63
    Last Online

    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    453
    Likes (Received)
    491
    Thanks (Given)
    1305
    Thanks (Received)
    657

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Listened to some tunes from ADKOT yesterday. China Town came on...man, when Al comes in and the song gets going it's like a fuckin' freight train.

    Maybe that's what the album cover represents. lol

  6. #35
    Hang 'Em High
    JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,451
    Posts Per Day
    3.56
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2850
    Likes (Received)
    873
    Thanks (Given)
    48590
    Thanks (Received)
    14288

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Listened to some tunes from ADKOT yesterday. China Town came on...man, when Al comes in and the song gets going it's like a fuckin' freight train.

    Maybe that's what the album cover represents. lol
    Al brought the intensity on ADKOT.

  7. DFVH5150, PrideofPasadena Liked This Post
  8. #36
    Hang 'Em High
    japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    16,912
    Posts Per Day
    8.24
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    08.06.20 @ 09:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    140
    Likes (Received)
    478
    Thanks (Given)
    8553
    Thanks (Received)
    13417

    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Well said. Whenever someone says Alex "stole" the HFT beat from Billy Cobham's Quadrant 9, I always point out that nowhere in Quadrant did Billy play triplets on the ride. Alex really never gets enough credit for his technical abilities, which are actually superb. LOC is another song that features terrific ride cymbal play while he has the double bass humming like an engine.
    Even if he did borrow from it, that piece is awesome!

    I used to be obsessed with that Cobham record, with Tommy Bolin & Jan Hammer.
    Bolin was def heard by a young EVH, at that time, because Ed stole from him, as well.
    Listen to his use of the Echoplex.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  9. #37
    Hang 'Em High
    JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,451
    Posts Per Day
    3.56
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2850
    Likes (Received)
    873
    Thanks (Given)
    48590
    Thanks (Received)
    14288

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Even if he did borrow from it, that piece is awesome!

    I used to be obsessed with that Cobham record, with Tommy Bolin & Jan Hammer.
    Bolin was def heard by a young EVH, at that time, because Ed stole from him, as well.
    Listen to his use of the Echoplex.
    Oh Cobham is definitely an influence of Al. He's talked about him in interviews. I just think he took the double bass shuffle of Quadrant and gave it his own spin that was different from Billy's.

    Spectrum is just an incredible album made by incredible musicians.

  10. bklynboy68, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
  11. #38
    Hang 'Em High
    japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    16,912
    Posts Per Day
    8.24
    Favorite VH Album

    II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    08.06.20 @ 09:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    140
    Likes (Received)
    478
    Thanks (Given)
    8553
    Thanks (Received)
    13417

    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Oh Cobham is definitely an influence of Al. He's talked about him in interviews. I just think he took the double bass shuffle of Quadrant and gave it his own spin that was different from Billy's.

    Spectrum is just an incredible album made by incredible musicians.
    Agreed.

    And i like the idea of Al paying a bit of a tribute, to something so cool & kind of obscure
    to the average rock fan.

    I first heard that album via a very sophisticated 9th grader, who turned me onto
    Mahavishnu & Billy Cobham.
    Lots of Jazz Fusion.

    He was like: You dig Van Halen, check out this record....(He puts on Spectrum).

    I remember him playing this one "Return to Forever" track, that blew my mind, and
    to this day, i still cannot track it down!

    It was a young Al Dimeola on guitar, but the melody was so strange & exotic.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

  12. #39
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    noise next door's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.03.03
    Posts
    6,136
    Posts Per Day
    0.98
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    101
    Thanks (Given)
    1010
    Thanks (Received)
    3118

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    I'm pretty sure Carmine Appice was doing the fast 250bpm "ta 1 ta 2 ta 3 ta 4" double pedal shuffle around 1970 or so.

  13. #40
    I'm The One

    Join Date
    06.01.03
    Location
    Pasadena, TX
    Posts
    2,754
    Posts Per Day
    0.44
    Last Online

    08.28.20 @ 04:53 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    9
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    16

    Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Well said. Whenever someone says Alex "stole" the HFT beat from Billy Cobham's Quadrant 9, I always point out that nowhere in Quadrant did Billy play triplets on the ride. Alex really never gets enough credit for his technical abilities, which are actually superb. LOC is another song that features terrific ride cymbal play while he has the double bass humming like an engine.
    I couldn't agree more!

  14. #41
    Little Dreamer

    Join Date
    08.26.18
    Posts
    17
    Posts Per Day
    0.02
    Last Online

    09.13.20 @ 02:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    21
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    7

    Achievements:
    Rookie250 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Al IS in the pantheon of Bonham and the other greats. Period. His playing is unique in rock. I call him the "Eddie Van Halen" of drumming. Al is 100% as critical to the sound of VH as Eddie's guitar is. In fact, Ed does not sound the same without Al backing him. It's in the DNA with them. The way they weave in and out of and around one another. How one can make a "mistake" and in THE moment, in real time, the other falls in with the "mistake" and makes it part of the song in a way that 99.9% never even notice. It's really unbelievable.

    Al has that big band vibe, especially on the first six. Jan's influence really comes out in both Ed and Al. But, moreso in Al's drumming, you hear that kind of swing influence. HUGE key to Van Halen. Musically, that influence is what makes them master musicians in a sea of "rock bands". And, Al really is the engine there. Unfortunately, the enormity of Ed's talent unfairly eclipsed Al's own musical mastery and prowess. At least from my perspective. He got some recognition. Yes. But, not the respect that he deserves and EARNED through his playing.

  15. #42
    Hang 'Em High
    JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,451
    Posts Per Day
    3.56
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2850
    Likes (Received)
    873
    Thanks (Given)
    48590
    Thanks (Received)
    14288

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edword View Post
    Al IS in the pantheon of Bonham and the other greats. Period. His playing is unique in rock. I call him the "Eddie Van Halen" of drumming. Al is 100% as critical to the sound of VH as Eddie's guitar is. In fact, Ed does not sound the same without Al backing him. It's in the DNA with them. The way they weave in and out of and around one another. How one can make a "mistake" and in THE moment, in real time, the other falls in with the "mistake" and makes it part of the song in a way that 99.9% never even notice. It's really unbelievable.

    Al has that big band vibe, especially on the first six. Jan's influence really comes out in both Ed and Al. But, moreso in Al's drumming, you hear that kind of swing influence. HUGE key to Van Halen. Musically, that influence is what makes them master musicians in a sea of "rock bands". And, Al really is the engine there. Unfortunately, the enormity of Ed's talent unfairly eclipsed Al's own musical mastery and prowess. At least from my perspective. He got some recognition. Yes. But, not the respect that he deserves and EARNED through his playing.
    You sir, GET IT. Great post.

  16. Simon Ribeiro, Ryder5150 Liked This Post
  17. #43
    Romeo Delight
    EpicGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.27.20
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    70
    Posts Per Day
    1.33
    Favorite VH Album

    Ed, Al, Mike, Sam, Dave, Gary
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad / Good Enough
    Last Online

    Today @ 04:53 AM
    Likes (Given)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    61
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Achievements:
    2,000 VHL Life Points31 Days Registered

    Default

    Al is a damn good drummer
    "Dave is Dave's biggest fan and Dave is most impressed by Dave."

  18. #44
    I'm The One

    Join Date
    06.01.03
    Location
    Pasadena, TX
    Posts
    2,754
    Posts Per Day
    0.44
    Last Online

    08.28.20 @ 04:53 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    9
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    16

    Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edword View Post
    Al IS in the pantheon of Bonham and the other greats. Period. His playing is unique in rock. I call him the "Eddie Van Halen" of drumming. Al is 100% as critical to the sound of VH as Eddie's guitar is. In fact, Ed does not sound the same without Al backing him. It's in the DNA with them. The way they weave in and out of and around one another. How one can make a "mistake" and in THE moment, in real time, the other falls in with the "mistake" and makes it part of the song in a way that 99.9% never even notice. It's really unbelievable.

    Al has that big band vibe, especially on the first six. Jan's influence really comes out in both Ed and Al. But, moreso in Al's drumming, you hear that kind of swing influence. HUGE key to Van Halen. Musically, that influence is what makes them master musicians in a sea of "rock bands". And, Al really is the engine there. Unfortunately, the enormity of Ed's talent unfairly eclipsed Al's own musical mastery and prowess. At least from my perspective. He got some recognition. Yes. But, not the respect that he deserves and EARNED through his playing.
    Right on....I've never heard another rock drummer swing like Big Al! It is a shame that Alex doesn't get his due credit due in part to the media and general fan base always centrally focused on Ed.

  19. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
  20. #45
    Hang 'Em High
    JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,451
    Posts Per Day
    3.56
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2850
    Likes (Received)
    873
    Thanks (Given)
    48590
    Thanks (Received)
    14288

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TOM_5150 View Post
    Right on....I've never heard another rock drummer swing like Big Al! It is a shame that Alex doesn't get his due credit due in part to the media and general fan base always centrally focused on Ed.
    Agreed. And the lead singer soap opera didnt help either.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Appreciation for Alex
    By fudd in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 01.09.16, 05:05 PM
  2. Why no Alex Van Halen thread, or Drum Thread?
    By Things Change in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 11.20.15, 06:33 PM
  3. The Alex Van Halen Thread
    By Frankenshoes in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 03.04.12, 09:20 AM
  4. THREAD FOR ALEX VAN HALEN
    By Reckless Fable in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 04.07.07, 08:29 PM
  5. The Official Eddie Van Halen Appreciation Thread
    By NOaverageJOE in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 08.14.06, 06:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •