The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 10:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    I'll never understand people's hate of Doin Time, other than it ends right as he's starting to cook. He's really starting to blaze the last 30-40 seconds and then it's over. I wouldve liked it to be a minute or two longer.
    I think it is boring and repetitive and not even remotely as good as anything he has done live.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

08.28.20 @ 04:53 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I been playing drums since I was 11 and have always heard "Alex is not in Bonham and Peart's league!". This statement is total nonsense. Typically these are non-drummers who do not have a good understanding of the complexities of advanced drumming. I can play most of Zeppelin and Rush's catalog fairly easily (thanks to my older guitar playing brother who only wanted to play Zep and Rush.....we'd play the 1st side of 2112 when I was 14). Where I have challenges with Alex's stuff is on tunes like "Source of Infection" and "HFT". Alex is one of the rare breeds that can play triplets on the ride cymbal while double bassing AND playing fills concurrently. This is very difficult to do. "Mine All Mine" is another good example where Alex is playing a syncopated double bass pattern while keeping his hands full with intricate cymbal work. That being said.....I put Alex up there along with Peart and Bonham on the Mount Rushmore of rock drummers.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 10:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_5150 View Post
    I been playing drums since I was 11 and have always heard "Alex is not in Bonham and Peart's league!". This statement is total nonsense. Typically these are non-drummers who do not have a good understanding of the complexities of advanced drumming. I can play most of Zeppelin and Rush's catalog fairly easily (thanks to my older guitar playing brother who only wanted to play Zep and Rush.....we'd play the 1st side of 2112 when I was 14). Where I have challenges with Alex's stuff is on tunes like "Source of Infection" and "HFT". Alex is one of the rare breeds that can play triplets on the ride cymbal while double bassing AND playing fills concurrently. This is very difficult to do. "Mine All Mine" is another good example where Alex is playing a syncopated double bass pattern while keeping his hands full with intricate cymbal work. That being said.....I put Alex up there along with Peart and Bonham on the Mount Rushmore of rock drummers.
    Well said. Whenever someone says Alex "stole" the HFT beat from Billy Cobham's Quadrant 9, I always point out that nowhere in Quadrant did Billy play triplets on the ride. Alex really never gets enough credit for his technical abilities, which are actually superb. LOC is another song that features terrific ride cymbal play while he has the double bass humming like an engine.

4. I Coulda Hada VH, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 01:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Listened to some tunes from ADKOT yesterday. China Town came on...man, when Al comes in and the song gets going it's like a fuckin' freight train.

Maybe that's what the album cover represents. lol

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Listened to some tunes from ADKOT yesterday. China Town came on...man, when Al comes in and the song gets going it's like a fuckin' freight train.

Maybe that's what the album cover represents. lol
    Al brought the intensity on ADKOT.

7. DFVH5150, PrideofPasadena Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

08.06.20 @ 09:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Well said. Whenever someone says Alex "stole" the HFT beat from Billy Cobham's Quadrant 9, I always point out that nowhere in Quadrant did Billy play triplets on the ride. Alex really never gets enough credit for his technical abilities, which are actually superb. LOC is another song that features terrific ride cymbal play while he has the double bass humming like an engine.
    Even if he did borrow from it, that piece is awesome!

I used to be obsessed with that Cobham record, with Tommy Bolin & Jan Hammer.
    Bolin was def heard by a young EVH, at that time, because Ed stole from him, as well.
    Listen to his use of the Echoplex.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Even if he did borrow from it, that piece is awesome!

I used to be obsessed with that Cobham record, with Tommy Bolin & Jan Hammer.
    Bolin was def heard by a young EVH, at that time, because Ed stole from him, as well.
    Listen to his use of the Echoplex.
    Oh Cobham is definitely an influence of Al. He's talked about him in interviews. I just think he took the double bass shuffle of Quadrant and gave it his own spin that was different from Billy's.

Spectrum is just an incredible album made by incredible musicians.

10. bklynboy68, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

08.06.20 @ 09:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Oh Cobham is definitely an influence of Al. He's talked about him in interviews. I just think he took the double bass shuffle of Quadrant and gave it his own spin that was different from Billy's.

Spectrum is just an incredible album made by incredible musicians.
    Agreed.

And i like the idea of Al paying a bit of a tribute, to something so cool & kind of obscure
    to the average rock fan.

I first heard that album via a very sophisticated 9th grader, who turned me onto
    Mahavishnu & Billy Cobham.
    Lots of Jazz Fusion.

He was like: You dig Van Halen, check out this record....(He puts on Spectrum).

I remember him playing this one "Return to Forever" track, that blew my mind, and
    to this day, i still cannot track it down!

It was a young Al Dimeola on guitar, but the melody was so strange & exotic.
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 12:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I'm pretty sure Carmine Appice was doing the fast 250bpm "ta 1 ta 2 ta 3 ta 4" double pedal shuffle around 1970 or so.

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I couldn't agree more!

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

09.13.20 @ 02:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Rookie250 VHL Life Points

Al IS in the pantheon of Bonham and the other greats. Period. His playing is unique in rock. I call him the "Eddie Van Halen" of drumming. Al is 100% as critical to the sound of VH as Eddie's guitar is. In fact, Ed does not sound the same without Al backing him. It's in the DNA with them. The way they weave in and out of and around one another. How one can make a "mistake" and in THE moment, in real time, the other falls in with the "mistake" and makes it part of the song in a way that 99.9% never even notice. It's really unbelievable.

Al has that big band vibe, especially on the first six. Jan's influence really comes out in both Ed and Al. But, moreso in Al's drumming, you hear that kind of swing influence. HUGE key to Van Halen. Musically, that influence is what makes them master musicians in a sea of "rock bands". And, Al really is the engine there. Unfortunately, the enormity of Ed's talent unfairly eclipsed Al's own musical mastery and prowess. At least from my perspective. He got some recognition. Yes. But, not the respect that he deserves and EARNED through his playing.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Edword View Post
    Al IS in the pantheon of Bonham and the other greats. Period. His playing is unique in rock. I call him the "Eddie Van Halen" of drumming. Al is 100% as critical to the sound of VH as Eddie's guitar is. In fact, Ed does not sound the same without Al backing him. It's in the DNA with them. The way they weave in and out of and around one another. How one can make a "mistake" and in THE moment, in real time, the other falls in with the "mistake" and makes it part of the song in a way that 99.9% never even notice. It's really unbelievable.

Al has that big band vibe, especially on the first six. Jan's influence really comes out in both Ed and Al. But, moreso in Al's drumming, you hear that kind of swing influence. HUGE key to Van Halen. Musically, that influence is what makes them master musicians in a sea of "rock bands". And, Al really is the engine there. Unfortunately, the enormity of Ed's talent unfairly eclipsed Al's own musical mastery and prowess. At least from my perspective. He got some recognition. Yes. But, not the respect that he deserves and EARNED through his playing.
    You sir, GET IT. Great post.

16. Simon Ribeiro, Ryder5150 Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Ed, Al, Mike, Sam, Dave, Gary
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad / Good Enough
    Last Online

Today @ 04:53 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    2,000 VHL Life Points31 Days Registered

Al is a damn good drummer
    "Dave is Dave's biggest fan and Dave is most impressed by Dave."

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Edword View Post

Right on....I've never heard another rock drummer swing like Big Al! It is a shame that Alex doesn't get his due credit due in part to the media and general fan base always centrally focused on Ed.

19. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_5150 View Post
    Right on....I've never heard another rock drummer swing like Big Al! It is a shame that Alex doesn't get his due credit due in part to the media and general fan base always centrally focused on Ed.
    Agreed. And the lead singer soap opera didnt help either.