From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

02.03.23 @ 10:13 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserKnight Of Da RoundtablePic PosterSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Social Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by EVHWolf View Post
    I've been a huge fan of Ghost since I saw them open for Maiden. I totally respect not being able to listen because of the lyrical content, but the music is damn good and Tobias is really bring guitar based rock music back to mainstream. Their latest album has a song "Griftwood" that has clear influences by Ed. Many satanist don't actually believe in the existence of Satan or any supernatural being...many are atheists using satanic titles to incorporate themselves as a religion to fight separation of church and state. Before you ask, no, I am not a satanist. Ghost lyrics are primarily about the failure of man using shock rock imagery of satan. Tobias did fall into some Satanic shit when he was younger, but he is not a devil worshiper. To quote Ed "hey, if it sounds good, it is good." You guys are starting to sound like parents from the 70s and 80s with "The Devils music" shit. Hey, if Christian rock was good music, I'd listen to it, but most of it sucks. I happen to really enjoy Ghost's music. Most of the recent stuff (more 70s/80s sounding) is stepping away from the Satanic lyrics anyway.
    All that being said, I get the hate for Ghost by true metal heads. Not only are their fans annoying as hell, they are wrongly classified as metal. They are a rock band.

This stuff reminds me of Celtic Frost and their pop approach after the release of To Mega Therion.
    There was Into the Pandemonium (which is ok) and Cold Lake or something similar. Just terrible.

(Not sure why I brought back these 1988 memories, though. I used to be a big fan of Morbid Tales back then, but after listening to Cherry Orchard I just lost the interest on anything Tom Gabriel produced or got involved)

Ghost is fine. Not bad, not the best band around.
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, ITO, SN, HB
    Last Online

02.03.23 @ 01:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Its just fun to be into an active popular band again (and to have been there before they took off). I'm 45 and didn't get into VH until Sammy was in the band. I missed the rise and excitement of the early years. I was born 10 years too late as most bands I listen to are nostalgia acts or no longer active. That may be part of the reason I enjoy Ghost so much...of course I do like most of the music, especially the later stuff that is more guitar rock driven. Music is a funny thing...I can't get into Rush (Geddy's voice) or Tool...and many here love them both.
    Rest in Peace Edward Van Halen

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

01.31.23 @ 09:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by EVHWolf View Post
    I've been a huge fan of Ghost since I saw them open for Maiden. I totally respect not being able to listen because of the lyrical content, but the music is damn good and Tobias is really bring guitar based rock music back to mainstream. Their latest album has a song "Griftwood" that has clear influences by Ed. Many satanist don't actually believe in the existence of Satan or any supernatural being...many are atheists using satanic titles to incorporate themselves as a religion to fight separation of church and state. Before you ask, no, I am not a satanist. Ghost lyrics are primarily about the failure of man using shock rock imagery of satan. Tobias did fall into some Satanic shit when he was younger, but he is not a devil worshiper. To quote Ed "hey, if it sounds good, it is good." You guys are starting to sound like parents from the 70s and 80s with "The Devils music" shit. Hey, if Christian rock was good music, I'd listen to it, but most of it sucks. I happen to really enjoy Ghost's music. Most of the recent stuff (more 70s/80s sounding) is stepping away from the Satanic lyrics anyway.
    All that being said, I get the hate for Ghost by true metal heads. Not only are their fans annoying as hell, they are wrongly classified as metal. They are a rock band.

I've seen Ghost several times and their live show is all about the showman ship. It's excellent, and the new album is tinged with 80's style rock homages.

PS - The 2 guitarists do a duel and get the crowd going, in Newark NJ in 2018 the keyboard player picked up a guitar as well and started doing simple blues and the other 2 laughed it off, so then the keyboard player did a neat tapping melody on his guitar on showed up the actual 2 guitar players - it was a riot.

Also, the song with the saxophone solo where they revive the dead band member on stage every show is a lot of fun.
    The Astonishing Joe Z EP in Video Form
    https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

01.31.23 @ 09:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    Me either. From what I've read about Ghost. They are real Satanic worshippers.
    The guy who writes all the music grew up in an extremely religious house hold and does it as an "F-U" to it. He doesn't actually believe in satanic worship - he thinks both ends of that coin go too far.
    The Astonishing Joe Z EP in Video Form
    https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

Shout at the devil is against the devil!
    Dude you really believe there's some dude with horns and a spiky tail waiting for the bad guys somewhere?!?! Hint: all that stuff was invented to keep little kids in check a long time ago.

Little Dreamer

Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 06:58 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Dude you really believe there's some dude with horns and a spiky tail waiting for the bad guys somewhere?!?! Hint: all that stuff was invented to keep little kids in check a long time ago.

I have no interest in listening to a band that sings songs about Satan all through their albums. Not my thing.

I listen to tons of European hard rock and metal bands that are much better than Ghost. They don't make fun of religions in their songs like Ghost do either.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

I have no interest in listening to a band that sings songs about Satan all through their albums. Not my thing.

I listen to tons of European hard rock and metal bands that are much better than Ghost. They don't make fun of religions in their songs like Ghost do either.
    Er... have you heard of a little band called Black Sabbath?

Ronnie James Dio doing the devil's horn?

Our whole genre is based on rebellion and challenging the established powers - the state, the school, the church. I don't think it's mocking, though. It's questioning.

When Alice Cooper sang "school's out forever" - he wasn't advocating for literally closing all schools. When Pink Floyd said "we don't need no education" - they didn't want all kids to stay home. They were criticizing the abuse of authority by some people who hold positions of power.
    Little Dreamer

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, ITO, SN, HB
    Last Online

02.03.23 @ 01:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by joezlo View Post
    I've seen Ghost several times and their live show is all about the showman ship. It's excellent, and the new album is tinged with 80's style rock homages.

PS - The 2 guitarists do a duel and get the crowd going, in Newark NJ in 2018 the keyboard player picked up a guitar as well and started doing simple blues and the other 2 laughed it off, so then the keyboard player did a neat tapping melody on his guitar on showed up the actual 2 guitar players - it was a riot.

Also, the song with the saxophone solo where they revive the dead band member on stage every show is a lot of fun.
    Yea, I’ve seen them 4 or 5 times. They put on a hell of a fun show. Love Miasma (sax solo).
    Rest in Peace Edward Van Halen

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

02.03.23 @ 08:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Er... have you heard of a little band called Black Sabbath?

Ronnie James Dio doing the devil's horn?

Our whole genre is based on rebellion and challenging the established powers - the state, the school, the church. I don't think it's mocking, though. It's questioning.

When Alice Cooper sang "school's out forever" - he wasn't advocating for literally closing all schools. When Pink Floyd said "we don't need no education" - they didn't want all kids to stay home. They were criticizing the abuse of authority by some people who hold positions of power.
    Why do you care so much about whether people like a shitty 50th tier rock band or not?
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

10. YankeeRose Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Back to the original topic ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

12. Dave's Dreidel Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Why do you care so much about whether people like a shitty 50th tier rock band or not?
    I'm just killing time waiting for the Van Halen tribute show...
    Little Dreamer

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

01.31.23 @ 12:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedOld GuardPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

So, just to clarify, the insider said that 2000/2001 unreleased songs like "Homeboy" don't exist in complete format because Dave didn't want the band the band to be able to release the songs without his permission like in 1996, so they were recorded in like 30 second intervals. But Mike says he has a bunch of 2000-2001 songs in his basement or something, so what would that material be? I think if it was an incoherent collection of samples he would have mentioned it.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

02.03.23 @ 08:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

What was released in 1996 without DLR's consent?
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:56 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life Points

Nothing related tp Dave in fact how he found out about greatest hits.

The songs from the 2000 sessions exist I recall there are 8 complete songs plus bits of others when all ended. MA having them makes sense given he tended to be the collector in the group. I assume the masters are in 5150 or moved to storage. Reminder we may consider songs from there as finished recordings but to them its demos. Homeboy may be on youtube, its around. The riff in it was used for UFB although if I had not been told I would not of noticed them as the same origin. They are pretty different just like Sam and Dave are different and who knows how many times Ed noodled on it in the drunk years in between.

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

01.31.23 @ 12:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedOld GuardPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

I seem to remember in the podcast interview that the "insider" said none of the 2000/2001 songs were recorded as a whole because of what happened in 1996. Maybe that was just forum speculation and I'm misremembering. I will go back and look in the thread. In 1996 DLR said he felt he was used to sell the Best Of, so I assumed it meant that Dave didn't want the tracks recorded as a whole so they couldn't be released if he was booted again.