video of Van Halen's complete set from their 'Monsters Of Rock' concert - Page 4
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  63
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Today @ 05:43 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Oh I know I'm entitled to breaks but I take pride. I sacrifice for the greater good. I think bands can too. It's not that tiring. That's the point I'm making. Less Eagles and more Sucker..
    I worked in a shop for 10 years, a stamping plant, if I had to work on a die in a press in the summer it was about 130 degrees. I did what you're doing (working through my lunches, no breaks). I got zero out of doing that...well I got a screwed up back for the rest of my life. I was skilled trade but still, it is totally not worth it

2. CoconutBackwards Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I worked in a shop for 10 years, a stamping plant, if I had to work on a die in a press in the summer it was about 130 degrees. I did what you're doing (working through my lunches, no breaks). I got zero out of doing that...well I got a screwed up back for the rest of my life. I was skilled trade but still, it is totally not worth it
    Truth. I worked in a dealership service dept in the shop for better part of 10 years. Hurt my back, permanent issue right through to today.

Nobody cares. If you get there early and work late, they don't care. Get there 1 minute late, they'll say something, though.

And you're replaced as soon as you leave, and forgotten.

Never work for the job. The job is just a job. Americans have been conditioned to work more and enjoy life less and somehow we're "ahead of everyone else because we get shit done". Well, if by "getting shit done" you mean "outsource to China", yeah.

We do a lot right, but in this area, we're doing it wrong.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

4. MasterP, CoconutBackwards Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:44 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Took my brother to the fall OU812 show in Philly- awesome performance. It was his 18th birthday and I bought broker tickets, 5th row center I believe. I don't even have to look up the date of the show, due to my brother's birthday. October 22nd, 1988 at the Philly Spectrum.

6. PrideofPasadena, Hack, VH1986 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

03.10.21 @ 07:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

My interest in Van Halen took its biggest dip during the OU812 time frame. I didn't see them live. The only era I didn't see live, except for pre-1984, because i would have been too young. I think I was turned off (even as a teenager) by the idea of a 9-hour show with other bands. I also never loved OU812. I've learned to appreciate it more in the recent past. This video doesn't do it for me. I'm no Van Hagar disser...but this just pales in comparison to the shows I saw during the 5150 tour, and Live Without a Net. I think they went on cruise too soon. I thought FUCK was a triumphant return.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Today @ 01:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    I saw them in Dallas on this tour, and Sammy lost his voice during the show and they only played a little over an hour. Not my favorite set list either, as others have mentioned. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make the free show in '91 they did to make up for Sammy's performance. It was announced the morning of the show and I was already at work and couldn’t swing it.
    I ran across these videos posted by the French VH Society filmed at the Dallas show. Watching VH play R&R in the Cotton Bowl is bittersweet for me. I had always hoped, as a longtime LZ fan, that I would someday get to see LZ play in an outdoor stadium, particularly the Cotton Bowl. That's what I told Jimmy, when I spoke to him in December of 1978. I told him, I'd always wanted see them do a big outdoor show, especially since they had not done Woodstock. So, that sort of got fulfilled, for them, when they headlined the Knebworth shows in 1979.

Here's the set list from the Dallas show. 1/4 of the songs performed are CVH songs.
    https://www.concertarchives.org/conc...f-rock-tour--3

R.I.P. Edward Lodewijk Van Halen ~~ The Einstein of Rock Guitar ~~

9. PrideofPasadena Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

05.05.21 @ 11:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

LOL. One things for sure. I could never do a show like this now.
    Like Cabo said, baking in the sun all day, beers, an hour getting out of the parking lot, hour an a half home...I'd be doomed.

11. CoconutBackwards Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 02:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

VH can take any song and simply make it their own. Such a great band!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:15 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    Uploader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    The set list was typical-ish. Having lived through it, I recalled my show and how I felt that day. All day baking in the sun and witnessing Metallica and Scorps completely destroy...WCTBL, WIL, Eagles Fly just seemed a bit out of place. Watching that video brought that back. By the time they took the stage, people were headed for the doors. Of course I was there for them but for some reason when I saw them by themselves at Arco, it was great.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they got showed up. Cool vid for historical purposes though. I never wanna hear Eagles Fly again. How do you go from debuting Harvester Of Sorrow to that Ugh? Ugh.
    I remember reading somewhere Eddie saying that this tour is when VH "passed the torch" to Metallica.
    VH Shows

5/12/79-NYC VH2
    7/26/80-Uniondale,NY Women & Children
    7/17/81-MSG,NYC Fair Warning
    10/9/82-Syracuse,NY Diver Down
    10/13/82-Uniondale,NY Diver Down
    3/30/84-MSG,NYC 1984
    4/14/84-Uniondale,NY 1984
    7/29/86-East Rutherford,NJ 5150
    8/2/86-Uniondale,NY 5150
    6/26/88-East Rutherford,NJ Monsters of Rock
    10/11/88-MSG,NYC OU812
    10/27/91-Uniondale,NY F.U.C.K.
    7/11,14/93-Jones Beach,NY RHRN
    4/26/95-Uniondale,NY Balance
    8/22/95-Jones Beach,NY Balance
    5/22/98-MSG,NYC III
    8/15/98-Jones Beach,NY III
    8/31/98-Syracuse,NY III
    6/22/04-East Rutherford,NJ Sam Reunion
    11/9/04-Montreal,Canada Sam Reunion
    10/1/07-Philadelphia,PA Dave Reunion
    11/8/07-Uniondale,NY Dave Reunion
    11/13/07-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    5/20/08-Uncasville,CT Dave Reunion
    5/23/08-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    2/28,3/1/12-MSG,NYC ADKOT
    3/24/12-Atlantic City,NJ ADKOT

3/07 Hopped on a plane and flew to Cleveland to be there when they were inducted into the RRHOF!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

awesome show.

I always really liked their version of Superstitious.

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:58 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    3 Months Registered250 VHL Life PointsPadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Truth. I worked in a dealership service dept in the shop for better part of 10 years. Hurt my back, permanent issue right through to today.

Nobody cares. If you get there early and work late, they don't care. Get there 1 minute late, they'll say something, though.

And you're replaced as soon as you leave, and forgotten.

Never work for the job. The job is just a job. Americans have been conditioned to work more and enjoy life less and somehow we're "ahead of everyone else because we get shit done". Well, if by "getting shit done" you mean "outsource to China", yeah.

We do a lot right, but in this area, we're doing it wrong.
    You're speaking my language.

I quit my last job at a crossdock for all the same reasons you just listed. Bust your ass, nobody cares. All that talk about working hard and you'll go somewhere is bullshit from what I've experienced. Become best friend's with management and step on all your coworkers faces and you'll go somewhere.

16. Bad to the Bone, CaboChris, Pacfanweb Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutBackwards View Post
    You're speaking my language.

I quit my last job at a crossdock for all the same reasons you just listed. Bust your ass, nobody cares. All that talk about working hard and you'll go somewhere is bullshit from what I've experienced. Become best friend's with management and step on all your coworkers faces and you'll go somewhere.
    While that works as well, hard work still is noticed by people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

04.26.21 @ 06:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I was fortunate to see both the MOR and later on VH on their own tour. As everyone know back in the day, I had no idea what VH's plans were so when it was announced they were touring, I bought the first tickets I could get which happened to be Oxford Speedway in Maine. I wasn't super crazy about any of the other bands but nonetheless was there from the first note of Kingdom Come to VH's last note. I was 17 and a bunch my friends and I drove up to Maine from New Hampshire. Being that it was June, you never knew what the weather would be like. My friends thought I was absolutely insane when I tied a raggedy old LL Bean sweater around my waist. It was pretty hot early on and as the show progressed into Metallica, the stage crew decided to get a giant hose and soak the crowd. At first it was great as it was scorching hot and everyone was dying since none of us had any shade or water to drink. I had also a very limited knowledge of Metallica and everything they played was uptempo and loud. I know James at one point told the audience that if they saw people not singing the words, beat the crap out of them. My friends and I faked the words pretty good.

Strangely after Metallica ended and just before Dokken was came out, it started to get very dark in the sky and the temperature instantly dropped. By mid set of Dokken we were all in the thralls of a massive thunder and lightning rain storm! It felt like it came out of nowhere and soon after everything was soaked. I remember George Lynch at one point kicked his pedal board over angrily as it was giving him problems. Dokken pretty much got screwed out of a full show and then we waited in downpours for it to end. Finally it ended and the Scorpions came out. Mid way through their set the rain came back and they left. After another little wait the Scorpions came out and finished up. By this time my friends were pretty well spent and freezing from the temperature change. I managed to throw on that LL bean sweater and stayed pretty warm actually. I told my friends that I would give them keys to the car if they wanted to wait there but I was not going anywhere until someone said VH was not coming out. I had a lot of faith in VH though and really thought they would come out knowing so many of us waited all day for them.

Sure enough just as my friends were walking back to the car, VH stage set was rolled out and everything was a go. I don't quite know what Sammy was thinking as he came bounding on to the stage full of energy. I guess the stage was still somewhat wet from the previous hours and Sam went absolutely flying into the air and came straight down on his tail bone. By this time the 60,000 person crowd had dwindled down to less than 10,000 and I was pretty much front and center with a full view of everything. Sam hit hard and after he got up, I could see his legs shaking as it really must have hurt. At one point I saw him look ever at Ed like get me out of here and the band ended up playing the fastest VH show I ever saw.

I was glad I saw them but when they announced a tour on their own later on, I grabbed tickets for that. I saw them again at Worcester Centrum and they played a really long show. I think Sammy even said they were going to make up for anyone at the MOR in Maine. I even loved the opening band Private Life and in a strange coincidence, have become friends with the drummer over the last year or two. He's got some cool VH stories and they recorded their album at 5150! That's a cool accomplishment as not many can say that.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

19. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hampshire View Post
    I was fortunate to see both the MOR and later on VH on their own tour. As everyone know back in the day, I had no idea what VH's plans were so when it was announced they were touring, I bought the first tickets I could get which happened to be Oxford Speedway in Maine. I wasn't super crazy about any of the other bands but nonetheless was there from the first note of Kingdom Come to VH's last note. I was 17 and a bunch my friends and I drove up to Maine from New Hampshire. Being that it was June, you never knew what the weather would be like. My friends thought I was absolutely insane when I tied a raggedy old LL Bean sweater around my waist. It was pretty hot early on and as the show progressed into Metallica, the stage crew decided to get a giant hose and soak the crowd. At first it was great as it was scorching hot and everyone was dying since none of us had any shade or water to drink. I had also a very limited knowledge of Metallica and everything they played was uptempo and loud. I know James at one point told the audience that if they saw people not singing the words, beat the crap out of them. My friends and I faked the words pretty good.

Strangely after Metallica ended and just before Dokken was came out, it started to get very dark in the sky and the temperature instantly dropped. By mid set of Dokken we were all in the thralls of a massive thunder and lightning rain storm! It felt like it came out of nowhere and soon after everything was soaked. I remember George Lynch at one point kicked his pedal board over angrily as it was giving him problems. Dokken pretty much got screwed out of a full show and then we waited in downpours for it to end. Finally it ended and the Scorpions came out. Mid way through their set the rain came back and they left. After another little wait the Scorpions came out and finished up. By this time my friends were pretty well spent and freezing from the temperature change. I managed to throw on that LL bean sweater and stayed pretty warm actually. I told my friends that I would give them keys to the car if they wanted to wait there but I was not going anywhere until someone said VH was not coming out. I had a lot of faith in VH though and really thought they would come out knowing so many of us waited all day for them.

Sure enough just as my friends were walking back to the car, VH stage set was rolled out and everything was a go. I don't quite know what Sammy was thinking as he came bounding on to the stage full of energy. I guess the stage was still somewhat wet from the previous hours and Sam went absolutely flying into the air and came straight down on his tail bone. By this time the 60,000 person crowd had dwindled down to less than 10,000 and I was pretty much front and center with a full view of everything. Sam hit hard and after he got up, I could see his legs shaking as it really must have hurt. At one point I saw him look ever at Ed like get me out of here and the band ended up playing the fastest VH show I ever saw.

I was glad I saw them but when they announced a tour on their own later on, I grabbed tickets for that. I saw them again at Worcester Centrum and they played a really long show. I think Sammy even said they were going to make up for anyone at the MOR in Maine. I even loved the opening band Private Life and in a strange coincidence, have become friends with the drummer over the last year or two. He's got some cool VH stories and they recorded their album at 5150! That's a cool accomplishment as not many can say that.
    Sam actually broke his tailbone there. crazy that he did the show after that even if it was a fast set.

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

05.04.21 @ 04:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovevh View Post
    Enjoy the newly-surfaced video of Van Halen's complete set from their 'Monsters Of Rock' concert in Buffalo NY... filmed on this day in 1988! A good quality, audience-filmed bootleg. Plus an article on what it took to mount such a massive & expensive stadium tour...
    Video: Van Halen ‘Monsters of Rock’ Buffalo NY, June 19th, 1988 June 19, 2020—by VHND Leave a Comment 32 years ago today, Van Halen’s “The Monsters of Rock” summer stadium tour came to Rich Stadium in Buffalo, New York. This year, a good-quality audience-filmed bootleg surfaced on YouTub...

https://www.vhnd.com/2020/06/19/vide...WAgNRua4IhIHBQ
    With the exception of the VH3 this was my least favorite. Huge stadiums. HOrrible seating arrangements. 90% had bad seats. Even the video looks like it isn't exciting as smaller venues.
    Right here I say....

Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life Points

MOR was not a fun day. I honestly couldn't wait to go home. Just baking in the sun all day. Scorps and Metallica blew everybody away including our guys.

23. MF5150 Liked This Post