Pics from Glen Helen Rgl Park (where the '83 US Festival was held)
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  20
    Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.08.20 @ 05:55 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Default Pics from Glen Helen Rgl Park (where the '83 US Festival was held)

Folks, I haven't posted here in years. But I want to share some cool pics I took yesterday at Glen Helen Regional Park, where the infamous and storied 1983 US Festival was held. As we all know, the mighty Van Halen headlined the Sunday evening show on Memorial Day weekend. I moved to LA from Chicago seven years ago and ever since, I've wanted to visit the site where the historic battle had been fought. Yesterday I did it. There's a new(ish) amphitheater where the '83 stage had been and that entire area was fenced off. However, I found a back way to see exactly what I'd come to see: the place where VH played on that magical night. In fact, I climbed atop a shipping container to get some good shots. Here are the main ones. Hope you all enjoy them. (BTW: I don't think I can post images directly so my apologies for the extra step involved).

https://ibb.co/23kSgvZ
    https://ibb.co/QDBPRfC
    https://ibb.co/C5JFS9b
    https://ibb.co/N3mCfmM
    https://ibb.co/Hgm1S8H

And in what I was convinced was a good omen and sign from above that I was doing the right thing, I saw this license plate frame less than a mile from the park entrance.
    https://ibb.co/XYs6SBq

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserRookieWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Hey that is pretty cool. I'm actually surprised it wasn't turned into a strip mall or apartment complex by now.

3. AllThaStuff Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Today @ 06:25 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Nice job, man!
    Never knew the site became anything. Wonder if they have decent concerts there?

5. AllThaStuff Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 06:08 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Thanks for sharing the pics!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

7. Flying Ed, Simon Ribeiro, AllThaStuff Liked This Post
    Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 03:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

This venue is now known as the Glen Helen Amphitheater. Before that, it was known as the San Manuel Amphitheater, and before that it was known as the Blockbuster Amphitheater. When it was still the Blockbuster Amphitheater, I saw my final Van Halen concert with Sammy Hagar in October 1995. We scored 5th row seats for $100 each.

I was at the US Festival in 1983. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I wouldn't want to repeat. It was far from one of VH's best performances, but I am grateful for the memories. Oh, to be 19 years old again

One last bit of trivia. Does anybody have a guess as to the current location of the stage from the US Festival? Hint: It is at a world famous venue that has been closed for a couple of months due to Covid-19.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

9. DFVH5150, Bugs Meanie, AllThaStuff Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 05:08 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    This venue is now known as the Glen Helen Amphitheater. Before that, it was known as the San Manuel Amphitheater, and before that it was known as the Blockbuster Amphitheater. When it was still the Blockbuster Amphitheater, I saw my final Van Halen concert with Sammy Hagar in October 1995. We scored 5th row seats for $100 each.

I was at the US Festival in 1983. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I wouldn't want to repeat. It was far from one of VH's best performances, but I am grateful for the memories. Oh, to be 19 years old again …

One last bit of trivia. Does anybody have a guess as to the current location of the stage from the US Festival? Hint: It is at a world famous venue that has been closed for a couple of months due to Covid-19.
    VS will back me up here - Glenn Helen/Blockbuster/San Manuel is the worst outdoor shed to see a show possibly on the entire West Coast. Not just because it’s huge and very spread out with crap sound but it consistently attracts the worst inland SoCal trailer trash crowds. I’ve seen a number of shows here including VH on the July 4th 1998 Cherone era tour and the Sam and Dave tour in ‘02 and every time I leave, I swear to myself that’s the last time I’ll see a show there. I would have seen Iron Maiden for one example more times then I have if they didn’t play there most of the times in SoCal since Dickenson rejoined.

BTW, your last photo from the top of the hill looks like the spot my friends and I snuck in to see the first night of the 83 US Fest. We had tickets to the 2nd and 3rd night but got there early the first day to camp the whole weekend. As the first day wore on, we got bored and uncomfortable sitting around in the hot sun (there was no running water, showers or any kind of food and drink vendors in the campgrounds). Our only source of entertainment and respite from the heat was riding around getting drunk in the shuttle buses as the did their route between the campground and the festival grounds entrence gate.

As dusk approached, we decided to hike up the hill at the back of the bowl and found it was pretty easy to get through the fence and into the festival grounds. All things considered, we’re lucky no one got bit by a rattlesnake in that dense brush. We were more happy to get something to eat and drink at one of the many food stands Lining the rear of the bowl then actually catch the remaing bands left to play. I recall we only caught The Stray Cats and The Clash sets.

11. I Coulda Hada VH, AJW Liked This Post