Universal Studios vs. AMC Theater Chain ... Direct to Home... The New "Normal" ??
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Today @ 04:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

Default Universal Studios vs. AMC Theater Chain ... Direct to Home... The New "Normal" ??

AMC Theatres Refuses to Play Universal Films in Wake of 'Trolls: World Tour'

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...d-tour-1292327

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/a...rs-1234592899/

The threat came after comments made by NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell regarding the on-demand success of the family film and what that means for the future.

AMC Theatres on Tuesday delivered a blistering message to Universal Pictures, saying the world's largest cinema chain will no longer play any of the studio's films in the wake of comments made by NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell regarding the on-demand success of Trolls World Tour and what it means for the future of moviegoing post-coronavirus pandemic.

Earlier in the day, Universal revealed that Trolls World Tour racked up an estimated $100 million in premium VOD rentals in its first three weeks in North America, more than enough to put the film on the road to profitability, according to the conglomerate. That's not far behind the $116 million grossed by the original Trolls in its first three weeks at the 2016 domestic box office on its way to topping out at $153.7 million in the U.S. and Canada and nearly $347 million globally, not adjusted for inflation.

Universal sent the animated family film straight to PVOD amid the ongoing pandemic and widespread theater closures.

"The results for Trolls World Tour have exceeded our expectations and demonstrated the viability of PVOD," Shell told The Wall Street Journal, which first reported the numbers. "As soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats."

--------------------------------

I very rarely go to out to a movie theater now. I'm not into the big action Marvel Universe films, but I was considering seeing the new Top Gun as sort a theme park "ride." I'll be just fine if Disney wants to buy up theaters, and make them all interactive "rides" for the masses that cater to that kind of experience on a weekly basis.
    Last edited by The Rover; 05.12.20 at 10:13 PM.
    R.I.P. Edward Lodewijk Van Halen ~~ The Einstein of Rock Guitar ~~

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

The Trolls movie also benefited heavily from the fact that families were in forced quarantine at the time, and there wasn't much (new) competition going against it.

3. PrideofPasadena, KS 5150, Dave's Dreidel thanked for this post.
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    The Trolls movie also benefited heavily from the fact that families were in forced quarantine at the time, and there wasn't much (new) competition going against it.
    This. I was relegated to watching it 3 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

10.22.20 @ 10:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

AMC needs to chill. The studio followed the money. Once we can go to the theatre movies like this will be back there, again. That's where the biggest profit will be.

One things for sure, it was a delight for parents. Having something new to occupy their kids for a minute.

6. jimmy812, Daisy Hill thanked for this post.
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

There are some films...actually the biggest money makers for the theaters and the studios, that just don't lend themselves to viewing on TV. Not even on the huge HD tvs we have

The bright spot for studios will be the drive ins this summer. But that is not going to be big enough box office or them. The studios are thinking hard about what to release and when and where. You don't want to release a big budget film just to see it flop at the box office because no one is going, so they have to walk a fine line between releasing films in theaters, postponing other films, making money in direct to video sales

The theaters NEED these studios to make money stay in production so they should just let the studios do what they have to do.

When films do go back into production, I think we may see a trend to story driven small films that are easier to film with smaller crews, with the big blockbusters picking back up later. A lot of people in the industry will probably welcome that as it seems that Marvel and DC have taken over the studio budgets lately. Those smaller films also play well on TV

8. PrideofPasadena thanked for this post.
    carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

another problem with drive ins is i'm not sure they are everywhere now.

Kind of touched on in the "Batman" thread (in a kind of joking way) but I wonder about those movies that were partially complete - are they going to be continuity nightmares when they get back to trying to finish them?
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

10. PrideofPasadena, Daisy Hill thanked for this post.
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    There are some films...actually the biggest money makers for the theaters and the studios, that just don't lend themselves to viewing on TV. Not even on the huge HD tvs we have

The bright spot for studios will be the drive ins this summer. But that is not going to be big enough box office or them. The studios are thinking hard about what to release and when and where. You don't want to release a big budget film just to see it flop at the box office because no one is going, so they have to walk a fine line between releasing films in theaters, postponing other films, making money in direct to video sales

The theaters NEED these studios to make money stay in production so they should just let the studios do what they have to do.

When films do go back into production, I think we may see a trend to story driven small films that are easier to film with smaller crews, with the big blockbusters picking back up later. A lot of people in the industry will probably welcome that as it seems that Marvel and DC have taken over the studio budgets lately. Those smaller films also play well on TV
    Theater chains make a nice markup on IMAX and 3D showings. They need the studios to keep making movies that are like slam-bang interactive amusement park rides to draw in the people for that big theater experience.

12. PrideofPasadena thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

II & WACF
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

08.06.20 @ 09:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

I hope the trolls movie had singing, dancing & hugging....
    Graver, Walking Ed, refugee from CVH & proud tone chaser...

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

It's actually a bit more of a game of chicken now. Regal joined AMC, which means Universal would be blocked from 40% of all indoor screens and 70% of all major chain screens.

I think the future will go back to smaller theaters, because only big budget films and a few others will get wide release. I always joke as a parent of young kids we go se Wars in the Stars and dinosaurs eating people, those kinds of films. Everything else we wait to rent or buy.

But the real squeeze will be in home media. I don't think we will be purchasing individual films unless you want to stream them early on. And once that ends, they will move to streaming services.

BTW, I looked it up. Disney, over the last 5 years, has 28 of the top 50 grossing films. That's incredible.

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    Theater chains make a nice markup on IMAX and 3D showings. They need the studios to keep making movies that are like slam-bang interactive amusement park rides to draw in the people for that big theater experience.
    that is true and with the rescheduling of a bunch of those, there will be some in the pipeline. Then they will be able to finish the ones that were in production or post production. So there will be lag in production. No one wants to burn a bridge by releasing an expected block buster just to have no one show up

I am reading that the studios are thinking about doing a summer of reissues of classics stuff that really should be seen on a big screen but hasn't been out in 10 years. Harry Potter was scheduled to play in Chinese theaters before they had to shut them down again

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserRookieWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Hamilton will be playing on Disney+ later this summer. I guess they filmed it (Broadway Show) for a theatrical release, but are now using it to try and build up Disney+ memberships. Might work for me, Hamilton was pretty great.

17. Daisy Hill thanked for this post.
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vs. Dave View Post
    Hamilton will be playing on Disney+ later this summer. I guess they filmed it (Broadway Show) for a theatrical release, but are now using it to try and build up Disney+ memberships. Might work for me, Hamilton was pretty great.

It was supposed to be released in October but who knows what the situation is going to be? Academy has announced that for Oscar consideration they will accept movies that were made for theaters but were released on video instead.

I think it is smart to add content that broadens the attraction of the streaming service and doesn't make it seem like just a kids service

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

10.22.20 @ 10:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

The bright spot for studios will be the drive ins this summer.
    LOL. I'm sure the drive ins are happy. We still have one. Might have to check it out. It's been at least five years since I've been there.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

It was supposed to be released in October but who knows what the situation is going to be? Academy has announced that for Oscar consideration they will accept movies that were made for theaters but were released on video instead.

I think it is smart to add content that broadens the attraction of the streaming service and doesn't make it seem like just a kids service
    I thought the original release date was October of 2021.

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    LOL. I'm sure the drive ins are happy. We still have one. Might have to check it out. It's been at least five years since I've been there.
    We have a few of them around here and they are looking to do incredible business. Tickets will be purchased online. The one that we go to is currently playing Sonic the Hedgehog and 1917. Neither of which I would want to see at this point

I do wonder what the studios will release for them to screen tho.