I'm The One
    Last Online

11.25.20 @ 08:58 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by salg View Post
    I was lucky enough to be at the Smithsonian event. Eddie definitely downplayed all his accomplishments on the guitar like he always did. I have wondered to myself over the years if Eddie should also be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an individual. He literally changed the way people played guitar. Putting aside all the RRHOF bullshit that goes on... just a simple question. Should EVH go into the RRHOF for all his accomplishments in the music world.
    I think he should.

If you look at the landscape of what was expected out of a rock guitarist there is a definite line of demarcation between pre 1978 and then on. Not only how the instrument was played, but also how it was designed and constructed.

I can't think of another artist other than Les Paul who had such an impact on the equipment side of the equation. None of the other legends like Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Beck, etc had the impact on the design of the instrument that Ed has.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

2. Rokgtar, I Coulda Hada VH, JUNGLE DRUMMER, japeape, Sloth thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 07:05 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I think he should however it would open Pandora's box and then we would have the same issues that are plaguing the HOF with deserving people being passed over for politics and favs. We think Eddie should but you know at some point, there will be a push for guitarists who are great but didn't really change the musical landscape. From a macro level. Take Joe Bonamassa. Great guitarist but didn't change the way one plays guitar or created a movement.

I think guys like Eddie, Neil, Bonham, etc because they changed the way people play. A guy like Joe Perry didn't. Plus he did other things with amplification and throwing a HB on a strat. Helped with the Floyd Rose. While the Edge gets credit for bounce back echo playing, Eddie using it was heard by millions of people on Diver Down. He inspired a decade worth of guitar playing which should account for something. That change impacted almost every form of popular music. Listen to Corey Harts Sunglasses at NIght. Pop song yet hear that solo and you know its due to Eddie. Maniac with Flashdance. How many MJ songs had to have a lead guitarist due to what he did with Beat It? Anyway he should be in.

4. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Get The Show On The Road thanked for this post.
    Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug (currently)
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by salg View Post
    I was lucky enough to be at the Smithsonian event. Eddie definitely downplayed all his accomplishments on the guitar like he always did. I have wondered to myself over the years if Eddie should also be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an individual. He literally changed the way people played guitar. Putting aside all the RRHOF bullshit that goes on... just a simple question. Should EVH go into the RRHOF for all his accomplishments in the music world.
    That's such a great question, and not one I'd ever really considered. Ed's had two distinct, brilliant careers in music, always running in parallel to each other (musician and instrument builder/gear innovator). And that may be why the lines are blurred...both have probably been equally important to him over the years, but the latter was never fully appreciated by the masses. And given how long it took for the RRHOF to induct VH as a whole, I wouldn't hold my breath for them to acknowledge his game-changing contributions to others in the industry.
    Why do old men wake so early? Is it to have one longer day?

6. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Get The Show On The Road thanked for this post.