Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Default Diver Down - Rewind

Diver Down -
    The VH album that 5 of 12 tracks are covers & was only 31 minutes in length.
    The Album (DD) that followed Fair Warning, which was all original, dark, heavy & epic in all things VH.
    For many fans, it's the CVH album that takes a fair amount of heat for some of the song choices / covers & pop appeal in light of VH's previous releases.

I happen to really like DD for many reasons.
    I was listening to "Where have all the good times gone" yesterday & was reminded how much i still love CVH even while doing covers.
    The sound of the band was just amazing. If you listen thru headphones, it's like your in the room with the band. Ted Templeman brought the best out of VH for my taste.

1) Where have all the good times gone - Kinks tune. Love everything about it. No wall of sound production.... Great groove - Ed's solo is so cool. Dave makes the lyrics his own. Al's signature snare sound & MA's BG vox - amazing
    2) Hang em' High - Classic EVH riff - This song could have been on any of the first 4 VH albums. WOWza!!
    3) Cathedral - EVH still tinkering like a mad scientist. This tune becomes a nice section of his live solo.
    4) Secrets - VH pop sensibility? This song is so damn good. Roth shines with the melody & vox. Ed's solo is so raw for such a laid back tune. Love it!! Michaels vox are just as important in defining the band's sound.
    5) Intruder - Menacing! More Ed tinkering.... Everything he did back then worked for my taste. Ear Candy
    6) Oh - Pretty Woman - Takes a lot of moxy to cover a Roy Orbison tune. VH pulls it off & it's a hit. Also, the first MTV (banned) video.
    7) Dancing in the Streets - Ed on keys & again, I'm all in. Ed is a guitar god - but he pulls it off. I'm pretty sure Ed & Al are less than thrilled about this song, but it works. Such a classic tune. Again, i think it takes moxy to cover such a classic.
    8) Little Guitars (intro) - Ed stretching out on acoustic. This is a beautiful passage. Further evidence of Ed's virtuosity.
    9) Little Guitars - The pop appeal of this song is all there... should have been a hit. Roth & Michael's voices work SOOO well together. Roth wrote the best lyrics & melodies when working with Ed & vise versa. Chemistry with opposites can be magical & so it is here
    10) Big Bad Bill (is sweet william now) - Amazing cover. This is vintage Dave. He cut his teeth on this type of music. Also Dave's idea to have Jan Van Halen play clarinet. Love it!!
    11) The Full Bug - AWESOME!! Again, another amazing VH original. As good as any VH tune, EVER!! Hell yeah!! Bravo Dave apparently plays the guitar intro & harp.
    12) Happy Trails - Vintage Dave choice & it works for me. Per Dave, " Joke em' if they can't take a f**CK!! Works for me

This album is far from perfect, but i love it. I also loved it when the band had Ted T guiding the ship in the studio
    He truly captured that magical sound that is VH!! In fact, dare i say, he helped with it's creation. He pulled vocals out of Dave that are revered to this day.
    He also recognized how special this band and it's sound were. Listen to the Gene Simmons produced VH Zero songs & tell me Ted T wasn't an MVP.
    Hope you enjoy!!
    CV

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.10.20 @ 03:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Nice write up.

Sheep was my favorite tour of the three CVH tours I caught. Think I'll give it a spin on this lazy Sunday.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

3. cav, Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
    I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

02.26.20 @ 09:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

A friend loaned me this and "Hang 'em High" convinced me I should give this band a chance.

I only encountered the dislike for this album in the internet age, never in reality. It's red with a white stripe! THAT'S Van Halen! "All my life I never stopped to worry 'bout a thing/open up and shout it out and never try to sing." Ray Davies may have written it, but it resonated with Dave so strongly he covered it! That's the most David Lee Roth lyric ever recorded!

Then you've got "Cathedral," "Full Bug"...I can't believe this album needs a sales pitch. Might need to dial it up!

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 12:16 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

My least favorite of the 6 pack, which just means it's the shortest giant among a half dozen behemoths.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

6. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Darrin Stephens, DFVH5150, dropped-d thanked for this post.
    Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    A friend loaned me this and "Hang 'em High" convinced me I should give this band a chance.

I only encountered the dislike for this album in the internet age, never in reality. It's red with a white stripe! THAT'S Van Halen! "All my life I never stopped to worry 'bout a thing/open up and shout it out and never try to sing." Ray Davies may have written it, but it resonated with Dave so strongly he covered it! That's the most David Lee Roth lyric ever recorded!

Then you've got "Cathedral," "Full Bug"...I can't believe this album needs a sales pitch. Might need to dial it up!
    I'll dial it up later today.
    Not in my Top Ten for Van Halen discs, yet I dig some of it.

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

09.24.20 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

I do love DD from a tone and mix aspect. Not the strongest of the 7 albums but do really like the tonal quality on it. The originals are strong on it but not enough to make it of the top ones. It is cool to hear Edward speak fond about the recording of it now as he made no secrets at the time he was a reluctant participant. He expression of appreciation for Dave bringing in Jan and such is cool and the gift of perspective time grants us all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 11:16 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post

Yep, I never knew anyone in my lifetime who didnt like this great album until the internet forums either.

It's still #7 on my list of VH albums. And it really does have a warm, intimate production. The snare tone on WHATGTG just might be my single favorite of all time. Classic AVH BROWN SOUND.

Jan being on the album is a special touch.

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

My favorite Hang em High story is 2012 Alex let Dave know adding it to the set and apparently Dave just yessed him without really listening. Followed through however and gave it a go with a lyric sheet in hand, LOL.

12. JUNGLE DRUMMER, I Coulda Hada VH, DFVH5150, TopJ thanked for this post.
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 09:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    I do love DD from a tone and mix aspect. Not the strongest of the 7 albums but do really like the tonal quality on it. The originals are strong on it but not enough to make it of the top ones. It is cool to hear Edward speak fond about the recording of it now as he made no secrets at the time he was a reluctant participant. He expression of appreciation for Dave bringing in Jan and such is cool and the gift of perspective time grants us all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Having Jan on it added a magic touch to the album. The brothers probably get teary listening to BBB. Ed probably considers it the biggest and most meaningful “Hey man, that’s a wow” between him and Dave.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:

Aside from PW and DITS being my least favorite Dave era tunes ever, really my only other reservation about the album is Al's somewhat "lazy" performance on the album. Really barely any use of his toms on the entire album.

But, we do get to hear him play the brushes for the only time on BBB, and he was still Animal flying all over his monster kit with relentless, unending energy on the tour.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Robbie, I dont give a flying fuck what Fudd says, EVERY time you come at me unprovoked I'm going to tell you to GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU POS DRUNK.

Stop trying to ruin threads, jackass.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Having Jan on it added a magic touch to the album. The brothers probably get teary listening to BBB. Ed probably considers it the biggest and most meaningful “Hey man, that’s a wow” between him and Dave.
    One of the travesties of CVH history is that they couldnt convince Jan to come up and sit in with the band for a live performance of BBB at one of the LA shows in 82 or 84. Damn, that really wouldve been a special moment for everyone.

17. bklynboy68, I Coulda Hada VH thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    My favorite Hang em High story is 2012 Alex let Dave know adding it to the set and apparently Dave just yessed him without really listening. Followed through however and gave it a go with a lyric sheet in hand, LOL.
    It was still awesome that they played the song twice. I remember laughing seeing Dave with one foot propped up on Al's drum riser leaning over trying to see the lyrics on the sheet.

Possibly the fastest BPM song in the VH catalog, with a LOT of words, he couldnt have picked a worse song to try and literally sing on the fly.

19. Darrin Stephens, Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
    Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    It was still awesome that they played the song twice. I remember laughing seeing Dave with one foot propped up on Al's drum riser leaning over trying to see the lyrics on the sheet.

Possibly the fastest BPM song in the VH catalog, with a LOT of words, he couldnt have picked a worse song to try and literally sing on the fly.
    Look at Alex in the background, he is laughing his ass off.

21. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.