Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Default The coming death of just about every rock legend

https://theweek.com/articles/861750/...ry-rock-legend
    -
    The coming death of just about every rock legend
    Damon Linker
    August 31, 2019

Rock music isn't dead, but it's barely hanging on.

This is true in at least two senses.

Though popular music sales in general have plummeted since their peak around the turn of the millennium, certain genres continue to generate commercial excitement: pop, rap, hip-hop, country. But rock — amplified and often distorted electric guitars, bass, drums, melodic if frequently abrasive lead vocals, with songs usually penned exclusively by the members of the band — barely registers on the charts. There are still important rock musicians making music in a range of styles — Canada's Big Wreck excels at sophisticated progressive hard rock, for example, while the more subdued American band Dawes artfully expands on the soulful songwriting that thrived in California during the 1970s. But these groups often toil in relative obscurity, selling a few thousand records at a time, performing to modest-sized crowds in clubs and theaters.

But there's another sense in which rock is very nearly dead: Just about every rock legend you can think of is going to die within the next decade or so.

Yes, we've lost some already. On top of the icons who died horribly young decades ago — Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Elvis Presley, John Lennon — there's the litany of legends felled by illness, drugs, and just plain old age in more recent years: George Harrison, Ray Charles, Michael Jackson, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Glenn Frey, Prince, Leonard Cohen, Tom Petty.

Those losses have been painful. But it's nothing compared with the tidal wave of obituaries to come. The grief and nostalgia will wash over us all. Yes, the Boomers left alive will take it hardest — these were their heroes and generational compatriots. But rock remained the biggest game in town through the 1990s, which implicates GenXers like myself, no less than plenty of millennials.

All of which means there's going to be an awful lot of mourning going on.

Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

A few of these legends might manage to live into their 90s, despite all the … wear and tear to which they've subjected their bodies over the decades. But most of them will not.

This will force us not only to endure their passing, but to confront our own mortality as well.

From the beginning, rock music has been an expression of defiance, an assertion of youthful vitality and excess and libido against the ravages of time and maturity. This impulse sometimes (frequently?) veered into foolishness. Think of the early rock anthem in which the singer proclaimed, "I hope I die before I get old." As a gesture, this was a quintessential statement of rock bravado, but I doubt very much its author (The Who's Pete Townshend) regrets having survived into old age.

It's one thing for a young musician to insist it's better to burn out than to fade away. But does this defiance commit the artist to a life of self-destruction, his authenticity tied to his active courting of annihilation? Only a delusional teenager convinced of his own invincibility, or a nihilist, could embrace such an ideal. For most rock stars, the bravado was an act, or it became one as the months stretched into years and then decades. The defiance tended to become sublimated into art, with the struggle against limits and constraints — the longing to break on through to the other side — merging with creative ambition to produce something of lasting worth. The rock star became another in our civilization's long line of geniuses raging against the dying of the light.

Rock music was always a popular art made and consumed by ordinary, imperfect people. The artists themselves were often self-taught, absorbing influences from anywhere and everywhere, blending styles in new ways, pushing against their limitations as musicians and singers, taking up and assimilating technological innovations as quickly as they appeared. Many aspired to art — in composition, record production, and performance — but to reach it they had to ascend up and out of the muck from which they started.

Before rock emerged from rhythm and blues in the late 1950s, and again since it began its long withdrawing roar in the late 1990s, the norm for popular music has been songwriting and record production conducted on the model of an assembly line. This is usually called the "Brill Building" approach to making music, named after the building in midtown Manhattan where leading music industry offices and studios were located in the pre-rock era. Professional songwriters toiled away in small cubicles, crafting future hits for singers who made records closely overseen by a team of producers and corporate drones. Today, something remarkably similar happens in pop and hip-hop, with song files zipping around the globe to a small number of highly successful songwriters and producers who add hooks and production flourishes in order to generate a team-built product that can only be described as pristine, if soulless, perfection.

This is music created by committee and consensus, actively seeking the largest possible audience as an end in itself. Rock (especially as practiced by the most creatively ambitious bands of the mid-1960s: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, and the Beach Boys) shattered this way of doing things, and for a few decades, a new model of the rock auteur prevailed. As critic Steven Hyden recounts in his delightful book Twilight of the Gods: A Journey to the End of Classic Rock, rock bands and individual rock stars were given an enormous amount of creative freedom, and the best of them used every bit of it. They wrote their own music and lyrics, crafted their own arrangements, experimented with wildly ambitious production techniques, and oversaw the design of their album covers, the launching of marketing campaigns, and the conjuring of increasingly theatrical and decadent concert tours.

This doesn't mean there was no corporate oversight or outside influence on rock musicians. Record companies and professional producers and engineers were usually at the helm, making sure to protect their reputations and investments. Yet to an astonishing degree, the artists got their way. Songs and albums were treated by all — the musicians themselves, but also the record companies, critics, and of course the fans — as Statements. For a time, the capitalist juggernaut made possible and sustained the creation of popular art that sometimes achieved a new form of human excellence. That it didn't last shouldn't keep us from appreciating how remarkable it was while it did.

Like all monumental acts of creativity, the artists were driven by an aspiration to transcend their own finitude, to create something of lasting value, something enduring that would live beyond those who created it. That striving for immortality expressed itself in so many ways — in the deafening volume and garish sensory overload of rock concerts, in the death-defying excess of the parties and the drugs, in the adulation of groupies eager to bed the demigods who adorned their bedroom walls, in the unabashed literary aspirations of the singer-songwriters, in mind-blowing experiments with song forms marked by seemingly inhuman rhythmic and harmonic complexity, in the orchestral sweep, ambition, and (yes) frequent pretension of concept albums and rock operas. All of it was a testament to the all-too-human longing to outlast the present — to live on past our finite days. To grasp and never let go of immortality.

It was all a lie, but it was a beautiful one. The rock stars' days are numbered. They are going to die, as will we all. No one gets out alive. When we mourn the passing of the legends and the tragic greatness of what they've left behind for us to enjoy in the time we have left, we will also be mourning for ourselves.

2. Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Today @ 10:32 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

That really bummed me out.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

4. japeape thanked for this post.
    Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Good thing this wasn't posted in the happiness thread …
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

6. Hurricane Halen, Little Dreamer thanked for this post.
    Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:34 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

One of the reasons I hate the gotcha game with these singers in their 60s and 70s. This is a sport never built for that age and one day you will wish you could bitch about a guy not singing when soon none of them will be singing.

8. ArtyBoy, I Coulda Hada VH, JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

02.26.20 @ 09:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

If you think it bummed you out, think about how Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger and the rest feel to read they're expected to die any day!

I, for one, am turning cartwheels over the "death of rock." I think where we're at right now is awesome. It's a big reset, like a forest fire that burns off overgrowth and lets a new forest begin. With the lure of jet planes and strippers gone, a lot of talentless bozos will stay out of the game. You'll only get people who are truly inspired.

Look at the Americana/alt-country scene. That's what rock n' roll was before it became rock n' roll. It's putting some heart and soul back into the sound, which was there with Little Richard but was well lost by the time you got to Tuff and the Sleez Beez. It's a big reset.

It's more of a meritocracy now. You can make something that sounds totally pro at home and put it out there from your desktop and see what anyone thinks, no middle man. People are back to touring in vans and playing in modest size places, just like the Stones and Doors did before Zeppelin brought it over the edge and into arenas.There's a little theater not far from me that's even BYOB that is hosting all kinds of nationally touring independent artists, and they're getting good crowds. It's all eye level, like it was when Linda Ronstadt and Stephen Stills hung out at the Troubadour bar.

I'm excited.

10. bklynboy68, Darrin Stephens, Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 10:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

GEEZUS

Talk about a bringdown. All that was missing was the The Smiths soundtrack.

DA FUUUUQ?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

12. edwardv, japeape thanked for this post.
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 10:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    If you think it bummed you out, think about how Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger and the rest feel to read they're expected to die any day!

I, for one, am turning cartwheels over the "death of rock." I think where we're at right now is awesome. It's a big reset, like a forest fire that burns off overgrowth and lets a new forest begin. With the lure of jet planes and strippers gone, a lot of talentless bozos will stay out of the game. You'll only get people who are truly inspired.

Look at the Americana/alt-country scene. That's what rock n' roll was before it became rock n' roll. It's putting some heart and soul back into the sound, which was there with Little Richard but was well lost by the time you got to Tuff and the Sleez Beez. It's a big reset.

It's more of a meritocracy now. You can make something that sounds totally pro at home and put it out there from your desktop and see what anyone thinks, no middle man. People are back to touring in vans and playing in modest size places, just like the Stones and Doors did before Zeppelin brought it over the edge and into arenas.There's a little theater not far from me that's even BYOB that is hosting all kinds of nationally touring independent artists, and they're getting good crowds. It's all eye level, like it was when Linda Ronstadt and Stephen Stills hung out at the Troubadour bar.

I'm excited.
    It’s all cyclical, people. The music will live forever but we were never told we would. I was in the “Rock is dead” camp not too long ago but I’ve been proven wrong.

Fuck the dumb shit and turn it up to 10!
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

14. ArtyBoy thanked for this post.
    Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:34 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    GEEZUS

DA FUUUUQ?
    Tracy Chapman to me was always suicide music

16. bklynboy68 thanked for this post.
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Today @ 10:32 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    GEEZUS

DA FUUUUQ?
    I saw Morrisey once. Hot chicks love depression.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

18. Get The Show On The Road thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 02:39 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Rock will never die.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

20. DJ Work'in Hard thanked for this post.
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.06.20 @ 10:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Re: the article. It’s a fair point, and one we all think about, but it’s a little morbid to work up a full article on lol.

I have often wondered what will happen around here once one of the five guys kicks the bucket. Esp the man himself. I imagine tempers will flare.

Nothing and I mean nothing will fire up Linkers’ senses of mortality and despair than the passing of Eddie Van Halen. Me and my four or five high school / college VH buddies already made a vow that should we all outlive Edward, we’d meet at the steps of the Forum and knock one back and pour one out for the king. That will truly be the end of my particular era, I can definitively claim. I hope he outlives me, to be honest. I don’t wanna see that day. But should it come to pass, any of you are welcome to join us.

Actually, I’d be shocked if LA doesn’t have some sort of public memorial for the greatest guitarist ever. I will be very, very sad and absolutely emotionally gutted on any of the days that any of those five men pass. And those days are coming. Time is a bitch and she comes for all of us.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 09.02.19 at 12:00 PM.

22. edwardv, I Coulda Hada VH, ziggysmalls thanked for this post.
    Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Re: the article. It’s a fair point, and one we all think about, but it’s a little morbid to work up a full article on lol.

I have often wondered what will happen around here once one of the five guys kicks the bucket. Esp the man himself. I imagine tempers will flare.

Nothing and I mean nothing will fire up Linkers’ senses of mortality and despair than the passing of Eddie Van Halen. Me and my four or five high school / college VH buddies already made a vow that should we all outlive Edward, we’d meet at the steps of the Forum and knock one back and pour one out for the king. That will truly be the end of my particular era, I can definitively claim. I hope he outlives me, to be honest. I don’t wanna see that day. But should it come to pass, any of you are welcome to join us.

Actually, I’d be shocked if LA doesn’t have some sort of public memorial for the greatest guitarist ever. I will be very, very sad and absolutely emotionally gutted on any of the days that any of those five men pass. And those days are coming in the next decade or two.
    Well said...
    The eventual passing of Edward Van Halen will gut me as well. I'll be sharing that toast with you guys, in spirit, from Ontario Canada.

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post

Actually, I’d be shocked if LA doesn’t have some sort of public memorial for the greatest guitarist ever. I will be very, very sad and absolutely emotionally gutted on any of the days that any of those five men pass. And those days are coming. Time is a bitch and she comes for all of us.
    When I was a freshman in high school, somebody started a rumor that Eddie Van Halen had died of a drug overdose. This was probably in late 1978, a few months before the release of VH II.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

Today @ 10:02 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedKnight Of Da Roundtable25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    When I was a freshman in high school, somebody started a rumor that Eddie Van Halen had died of a drug overdose. This was probably in late 1978, a few months before the release of VH II.
    Truthfully....I thought he was gonna pass 15 years ago. He looked so bad in 2004...I’ve seen junkies who looked healthier.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

D.O.A.
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Today @ 08:44 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Death. Ha! Keith Richards laughs at you.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

27. wombattt, snowdog thanked for this post.