Why different frets on Wolfgang Special and USA?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Eruption

    Join Date
    06.26.04
    Posts
    178
    Posts Per Day
    0.03
    Last Online

    09.25.19 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    14

    Default Why different frets on Wolfgang Special and USA?

    Just wondering why the Wolfgang Special gets jumbo frets and the USA gets vintage style?

  2. #2
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Dave not David's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.26.13
    Age
    24
    Location
    East Virginia
    Posts
    1,515
    Posts Per Day
    0.61
    Favorite VH Album

    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 10:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    2767
    Thanks (Received)
    972


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranPic PosterMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    The original Wolf specials that were made in Japan (and shortly, China) before moving to Mexico had the same vintage stainless frets. They added production costs to the guitars, both in time, materials, and tools. The move to jumbo nickel frets on the Mexican line (along with arch tops and black hardware) is likely due to what EVH (the company) thinks will market better, shifting marketing more towards the "metal" audience.

    IMO, I've bought maybe a dozen combined specials, and I usually end up taking the vintage stainless necks and putting them on the archtop bodies, and vice versa.

  3. #3
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Ted Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Age
    51
    Location
    All up in there
    Posts
    5,740
    Posts Per Day
    0.94
    Favorite VH Album

    Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

    How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

    03.02.20 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    3051
    Thanks (Received)
    2592


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lieu910 View Post
    Just wondering why the Wolfgang Special gets jumbo frets and the USA gets vintage style?
    Because tone chasing.
    -TVH-


    There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett


    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine


    What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison


    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

  4. evhintexas thanked for this post.
  5. #4
    "Whoa, this is heavy."
    Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,400
    Posts Per Day
    0.85
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 05:38 PM
    Likes (Given)
    226
    Likes (Received)
    351
    Thanks (Given)
    3312
    Thanks (Received)
    3913


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    The move to jumbo nickel frets on the Mexican line (along with arch tops and black hardware) is likely due to what EVH (the company) thinks will market better, shifting marketing more towards the "metal" audience.
    Bingo.

  6. #5
    Eruption

    Join Date
    06.26.04
    Posts
    178
    Posts Per Day
    0.03
    Last Online

    09.25.19 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    The original Wolf specials that were made in Japan (and shortly, China) before moving to Mexico had the same vintage stainless frets. They added production costs to the guitars, both in time, materials, and tools. The move to jumbo nickel frets on the Mexican line (along with arch tops and black hardware) is likely due to what EVH (the company) thinks will market better, shifting marketing more towards the "metal" audience.

    IMO, I've bought maybe a dozen combined specials, and I usually end up taking the vintage stainless necks and putting them on the archtop bodies, and vice versa.
    So am I understanding correctly, that you prefer the vintage frets?

  7. #6
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Dave not David's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.26.13
    Age
    24
    Location
    East Virginia
    Posts
    1,515
    Posts Per Day
    0.61
    Favorite VH Album

    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 10:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    2767
    Thanks (Received)
    972


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranPic PosterMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    I do in most cases, yes. I prefer the stainless more than the nickel in every case, but sometimes I like the jumbo frets. Depends on what/how I'm playing.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Titanium frets on EVH Wolfgang?
    By fast98dodge in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02.15.15, 02:15 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06.08.12, 06:48 AM
  3. New Frets on a Wolfgang?
    By coyote in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06.30.07, 09:31 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05.12.05, 10:31 AM
  5. Wolfgang Not-So-Special
    By Alchemy in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05.02.00, 01:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •