Younger kids of today
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Bullethead
    salg's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.22.04
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    425
    Posts Per Day
    0.07
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    43
    Thanks (Given)
    175
    Thanks (Received)
    244

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    Uploader Supreme

    Default Younger kids of today

    Ya know, what I’m seeing more of these days, is the appreciation of the music that VH gave to all of us, by the younger, “kids” of today. They’re not afraid to look back and discover, study the music that most of their parents were listening to. Many of my sons friends love the music from the 70’s and 80’s. I can only assume that this is a trend with most 15-18 year olds.

    This was posted by Hurricane Halen in the closed How does Eddie look thread.

    My wife and I went down to Florida for a few days after my daughters wedding. I was hanging out at the beach with my Ipod on listening to VH live at MSG from the second 2012 show. Definitely one of the best VH shows I've see. The Garden was bursting with energy that night. I was about 5 beers into the day and doing some good air guitar moves to Outta Love Again when this 14-15 year old kid comes up to me and gets my attention. I take my ear buds off and the kid asks me if I play guitar. I said a little bit but not very good. He asked me what I was listening to and I told him VH. He says I love Eddie Van Halen. Loves playing Hot for Teacher. I showed him my 2 VH tattos and told him to carry the VH flag junior !! He looked at me and said I will. My wife looked at me and said that was pretty cool. I thought so too !!
    VH Shows

    5/12/79-NYC VH2
    7/26/80-Uniondale,NY Women & Children
    7/17/81-MSG,NYC Fair Warning
    10/9/82-Syracuse,NY Diver Down
    10/13/82-Uniondale,NY Diver Down
    3/30/84-MSG,NYC 1984
    4/14/84-Uniondale,NY 1984
    7/29/86-East Rutherford,NJ 5150
    8/2/86-Uniondale,NY 5150
    6/26/88-East Rutherford,NJ Monsters of Rock
    10/11/88-MSG,NYC OU812
    10/27/91-Uniondale,NY F.U.C.K.
    7/11,14/93-Jones Beach,NY RHRN
    4/26/95-Uniondale,NY Balance
    8/22/95-Jones Beach,NY Balance
    5/22/98-MSG,NYC III
    8/15/98-Jones Beach,NY III
    8/31/98-Syracuse,NY III
    6/22/04-East Rutherford,NJ Sam Reunion
    11/9/04-Montreal,Canada Sam Reunion
    10/1/07-Philadelphia,PA Dave Reunion
    11/8/07-Uniondale,NY Dave Reunion
    11/13/07-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    5/20/08-Uncasville,CT Dave Reunion
    5/23/08-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    2/28,3/1/12-MSG,NYC ADKOT
    3/24/12-Atlantic City,NJ ADKOT

    3/07 Hopped on a plane and flew to Cleveland to be there when they were inducted into the RRHOF!!!

  2. #2
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Sam Vs. Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.09.19
    Location
    Oahu
    Posts
    1,403
    Posts Per Day
    2.37
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Likes (Given)
    80
    Likes (Received)
    138
    Thanks (Given)
    543
    Thanks (Received)
    775

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserRookieWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Van Halen will never be completely forgotten, that's for sure. My daughter is a junior in high school and her friend just bought a new electric guitar. My daughter got her a box of EVH picks in the cool metal EVH stripes box and it was much appreciated.

  3. #3
    Sinner's Swing!
    NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Carolina Foothills
    Posts
    860
    Posts Per Day
    0.14
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    58
    Thanks (Given)
    1245
    Thanks (Received)
    400


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salg View Post
    Ya know, what I’m seeing more of these days, is the appreciation of the music that VH gave to all of us, by the younger, “kids” of today. They’re not afraid to look back and discover, study the music that most of their parents were listening to. Many of my sons friends love the music from the 70’s and 80’s. I can only assume that this is a trend with most 15-18 year olds.

    This was posted by Hurricane Halen in the closed How does Eddie look thread.

    My wife and I went down to Florida for a few days after my daughters wedding. I was hanging out at the beach with my Ipod on listening to VH live at MSG from the second 2012 show. Definitely one of the best VH shows I've see. The Garden was bursting with energy that night. I was about 5 beers into the day and doing some good air guitar moves to Outta Love Again when this 14-15 year old kid comes up to me and gets my attention. I take my ear buds off and the kid asks me if I play guitar. I said a little bit but not very good. He asked me what I was listening to and I told him VH. He says I love Eddie Van Halen. Loves playing Hot for Teacher. I showed him my 2 VH tattos and told him to carry the VH flag junior !! He looked at me and said I will. My wife looked at me and said that was pretty cool. I thought so too !!
    As a kid, I used to get it from my Grandfather about Van Halen. He compared everything to the greats: Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, etc. As for showman, it was always a contest between Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc

    From my Paternal Grandparents, we would have to sit and watch Pavarotti, and God forbid if we should utter a sound!

    From my Dad, he loved jazz, although he always respected Eddie Van Halen's musicianship.

    What's the point in me saying all of that? Because I can cross generations, in acknowledging when something's good.

    ***

    David Lee Roth is a prototype.

    Eddie Van Halen is a prototype.

    The kids of today have little to look forward to musically, because the majority of today's music sucks.

    There are no prototypes anymore.

    There are so few musicians anymore.
    Our hearts' are with you Wolf, Al, and Janie; blessings upon you all.

    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

  4. AJW, Zen Halen, Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
  5. #4
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    30,691
    Posts Per Day
    4.99
    Last Online

    10.18.20 @ 11:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    247
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5115


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Most millennials and Gen Z kids have no idea who Van Halen is, other than it’s Dad’s geezer music.

  6. Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
  7. #5
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Sam Vs. Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.09.19
    Location
    Oahu
    Posts
    1,403
    Posts Per Day
    2.37
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Likes (Given)
    80
    Likes (Received)
    138
    Thanks (Given)
    543
    Thanks (Received)
    775

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserRookieWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Most millennials and Gen Z kids have no idea who Van Halen is, other than it’s Dad’s geezer music.
    I'd agree that's mostly true with the exception of kids who play music. Like real instruments. But almost all kids will be exposed to some Van Halen throughout their lives which is probably the best we can ask for.

  8. #6
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    30,691
    Posts Per Day
    4.99
    Last Online

    10.18.20 @ 11:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    247
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5115


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vs. Dave View Post
    I'd agree that's mostly true with the exception of kids who play music. Like real instruments. But almost all kids will be exposed to some Van Halen throughout their lives which is probably the best we can ask for.
    That’s an ambitious thought. Hearing VH on a radio is one thing, knowing who they are is another.

    Outside of satellite radio, in SoCal at least, VH is not played aloud in public terribly often these days, but to be fair, from the heyday of classic hard rock, little is other than Zep and AC/DC.

  9. #7
    Top Of The World
    wombattt's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.12.04
    Posts
    4,373
    Posts Per Day
    0.73
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Constantly Changes
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    296
    Likes (Received)
    542
    Thanks (Given)
    668
    Thanks (Received)
    1031

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedKnight Of Da Roundtable25,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Outside of satellite radio, in SoCal at least, VH is not played aloud in public terribly often these days, but to be fair, from the heyday of classic hard rock, little is other than Zep and AC/DC.
    How about the Hard Rock Cafe in Hollywood, with the huge Frankie guitar? Does that factor in on the SoCal kids knowing who Van Halen is? Or is it just a tourist trap and avoided by most citizens?
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

  10. #8
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    30,691
    Posts Per Day
    4.99
    Last Online

    10.18.20 @ 11:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    247
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5115


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    How about the Hard Rock Cafe in Hollywood, with the huge Frankie guitar? Does that factor in on the SoCal kids knowing who Van Halen is? Or is it just a tourist trap and avoided by most citizens?
    People love the Hard Rock brand still. Always crowded. Not that I've taken a survey outside the place, but I would venture a safe guess that most of the kiddies don't know that's a direct homage to EVH. Lots of giant guitars outside Hard Rocks across the world, only diehard VH fans know that's a Frankie statue. I have a number of photos posing in front of that one, of course...I believe the last time we posed there was just before the Chickenfoot gig at Gibson Amp in 2009. No...it was the Rush gig on the Time Machine tour at Gibson in 2010.

    Man, I miss the Gibson Amp! What a great place for a gig. That was the place we saw the Sam and Dave tour too. LOL.

    The classic LA Hard Rock used to be housed at the Beverly Center, now relocated to the Hollywood Blvd. outlet. The old joint used to be a haunt for the Brat Pack...we'd hit the place on Saturday nights in the later eighties for their burgers after catching the Laserium shows at Griffith Observatory all high outta our gourds, and Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez, Keifer Sutherland and their posses (this was all around the Young Guns era) would be holding court at a roped off section overlooking the main bar.

    Haha. Geez we were stoned. So were they, actually. I met those 3 guys once at a Hollywood Hills party. Charlie was kind of a putz. Estevez and Sutherland were nice.

    I think the last time I was at the OG Hard Rock before it shuttered was the first time I met Mike. Was an appearance for his first hot sauce junket...I wanna say that was in, what...2006 maybe? He signed a copy of Fair Warning and the Looney Tunes red vinyl demo EP, which provoked a long discussion between me and Mike and Dugie and several guys in line behind me posing how it must've been a fake 'cause the lightning bolt logo wasn't really the VH logo lol.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 04.17.19 at 09:42 PM.

  11. #9
    Forum Frontman
    fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    41
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    18,812
    Posts Per Day
    4.07
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes (Given)
    42
    Likes (Received)
    652
    Thanks (Given)
    1404
    Thanks (Received)
    8511


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

    Default

    I like the hard rock brand. When I stay in Biloxi I always stay at the hard rock casino. They have some cool VH stuff too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #10
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    30,691
    Posts Per Day
    4.99
    Last Online

    10.18.20 @ 11:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    247
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5115


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    I like the hard rock brand. When I stay in Biloxi I always stay at the hard rock casino. They have some cool VH stuff too.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me too. I've been a Hard Rock guy since it was only the London and the LA cafe. I stay in a lot of their hotels, the one in SD is luxury plus and it's awesome. Stayed at the Vegas hotel, the Palm Springs hotel, and the Tahoe hotel. I used to collect the shot glasses when I was younger.

    The cafe food is pretty good, actually. For a chain place.

  13. #11
    Forum Frontman
    fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    41
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    18,812
    Posts Per Day
    4.07
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes (Given)
    42
    Likes (Received)
    652
    Thanks (Given)
    1404
    Thanks (Received)
    8511


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

    Default

    Yeah their suites are pretty sweet. But the food can be kinda generic depending on where you are. If I’m in Biloxi I usually eat at the Ruth’s Chris in the hotel. Plus their roulette is loose if you feel me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #12
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    30,691
    Posts Per Day
    4.99
    Last Online

    10.18.20 @ 11:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    247
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5115


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Yeah their suites are pretty sweet. But the food can be kinda generic depending on where you are. If I’m in Biloxi I usually eat at the Ruth’s Chris in the hotel. Plus their roulette is loose if you feel me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL. I wish I could say the same about their blackjack tables in Vegas.

    Ruth's Chris is the shit. Their crab stuffed mushrooms are off the charts.

    I've had some pretty stellar burgers at the Universal City cafe. And the cafe in Tahoe serves some great ribs.

    But yeah, the hotels are nice. The one in SD has a pool party every Sunday during the summer on the third floor overlooking the Gaslamp quarter. EDM DJs, thong bikinis, and lots of millennials and Armenians. I had to schmooze there a number of times in the mid ought's to facilitate some real estate investment deals. A good place to make a Gen X man feel old and creepy.

  15. #13
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Naked Wake's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.09
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    1,672
    Posts Per Day
    0.39
    Favorite VH Album

    Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    10.19.20 @ 06:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    64
    Likes (Received)
    53
    Thanks (Given)
    284
    Thanks (Received)
    296

    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    My kid is 15 and loves Green Day. Likes some GNR and a couple of AC/DC tunes. I've been playing 80's metal in the house and in the car since he was a baby, but most of it he hasn't latched on to. He liked KISS when he was about 5 or 6, but when I was playing an Iron Maiden concert on YouTube he took one look at them and said "no way." He still hasn't caught on to Maiden. I try not to push him. I'm just thankful he isn't listening to Rap.

  16. Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
  17. #14
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    30,691
    Posts Per Day
    4.99
    Last Online

    10.18.20 @ 11:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    247
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5115


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    My kid is 15 and loves Green Day. Likes some GNR and a couple of AC/DC tunes. I've been playing 80's metal in the house and in the car since he was a baby, but most of it he hasn't latched on to. He liked KISS when he was about 5 or 6, but when I was playing an Iron Maiden concert on YouTube he took one look at them and said "no way." He still hasn't caught on to Maiden. I try not to push him. I'm just thankful he isn't listening to Rap.
    Green Day are great. They’re kinda like Gen Y’s ‘Van Halen.’ I’ve seen ‘em live a lot. Billie Joe commands his arena crowds like few other frontmen.

  18. Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
  19. #15
    Hang 'Em High
    Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    19,924
    Posts Per Day
    2.63
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Likes (Given)
    220
    Likes (Received)
    218
    Thanks (Given)
    3357
    Thanks (Received)
    2409

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    My 16 year old always tells me when he hears the music I listen to, “Dad, this music is so much better than what the kids at school listen to. Its real”
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  20. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Simon Ribeiro thanked for this post.
 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Kids of today vs. our music
    By ArtyBoy in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 08.22.17, 06:13 PM
  2. Will the younger generation swing to ADKOT?
    By Eddymon in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 02.02.12, 02:13 PM
  3. Younger fans & III
    By StonewallVH5150 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02.16.06, 11:22 PM
  4. How many of you are 18 yrs old or younger?
    By Edeble Ed in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07.20.01, 06:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •