09.21.20 @ 12:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points

Default Well, which is it??

Just finished remodeling my house, going through tons of old stuff in boxes as I'm setting up my new music room and such. Anyway, grabbed a stack of guitar magazines last night and opened one from 1993. There's an article with Eddie about the new live album.

Holy crap, it's so weird to go back and actually re-read stuff after it's been debated 1000 times over around here. So what do you guys make of these quotes from Eddie? Copied word for word.

GW - "Why did Van Halen wait until now to release a live album?"

EVH - "Well, people have been asking us for one ever since our first album came out in 1978. But after our last tour, Alex and I mixed a radio concert special for Westwood One. It sounded pretty good on the radio, and that gave us the bug to do a live album. So we dug back through the tapes from the '86, '88, '91, and '92 tours. It all sounded pretty good, but basically we went for the takes that had the most magic. There were probably some takes that had more perfect precision playing, but that wasn't what we were looking for. We just wanted to deliver the real live thing. We didn't fix anything."

GW - "No edits or overdubs?"

EVH - "No. None of that. And another reason we did this album is because we get bootlegged so often. That wasn't the main reason we did it, but I would sure rather have people listening to a live record that sounds good and which really represents us than a crummy bootleg."

GW - "Do you listen to a lot of the Van Halen bootlegs?"

EVH - "No. People send them to me all the time, but I know what they sound like: They're bullshit. It takes a good mobile recording truck and about 100 grand to record a show. For someone to think they can get the same thing off one of these [pointing to my cheap little cassette recorder] is ridiculous."

GW - "Did you ever consider using material from the David Lee Roth period?"

EVH - "No, because we didn't record live shows back in those days. I don't mean to sound like an asshole or anything, but there was no reason to record that stuff. We never thought of putting out a live album with Dave, because you had to be there live and experience the visual side of it in order to appreciate the performance. Without the visual, the audio on its own was... well, you know what I mean. Sammy's more of a musician, as opposed to a lead singer/front man kind of guy."

"We didn't fix anything" is a pretty definitive statement. A long way from what we generally think now.

His comments on bootlegs are exactly what I've said every time someone here argues that there's no point in releasing live stuff because there are bootlegs on youtube already anyway. Yeah, and they're absolute crap quality compared to an official release... you should want your band represented well.

I've also heard before just like above that RHRN is a compilation live album from all tours from 86-92. Is that really true? I thought it was virtually all FUCK tour and principally from Fresno. Are there actual performances on there from 86 and 88? Can someone specify those for me?

He definitively states that they simply didn't record shows on the first 6 tours. No wiggle room there. Does anyone believe that? And if Dave could only be appreciated 40 years ago visually then how can they justify releasing audio-only of him only three years ago???? It's exactly what I said when Tokyo was released, I enjoy the show a lot, but why, especially in an age where the concert bluray is the default standard for a modern live album, would they release only a live album that only highlights Dave's weaknesses without any of the showmanship?

Ugh.... these guys. So fucking great but yet so fucking frustrating.

2. Heisenberg, Bad to the Bone thanked for this post.
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life Points

Maybe THEY didnt record live shows, which I don't believe but others DID.

Bill Graham recorded everything at his venues.

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 03:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable350,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Eddie Van Halen is the epitome of bi-lingual in that he is the master of talking out of both sides of his mouth.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 10:44 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

They recorded shows back then I'm sure. As far as RHRN being a compilation of all the previous Sam tours? Not a chance. For one thing, the drums on EVERY track have the tone from his kit on the FUCK tour. No Simmons pads from the 5150 tour, and nothing that sounds like his 3 kits in 1 monster from the OU812 tour.

And, sorry Ed, but saying theres no fixes on RHRN is of course laughable now. But I do seem to remember that Westwood radio broadcast sounding MUCH MUCH BETTER than the RHRN discs that were released a few months later. As much as some people hate the production on Tokyo Dome, I despise the sound of RHRN just as much if not more.

6. snowdog, Foamfoot, DFVH5150, AJW thanked for this post.
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Van Halen definitely pro-recorded a few shows during the '82 Diver Down tour with the intent to release a live double album and perhaps a home video in Spring/Summer of '83 with perhaps a couple new studio tracks all designed to give them breathing room before the next studio album (1984). Neal Preston from Circus magazine quoted Eddie about this during the Diver Down tour.

And they may not have recorded a few shows from every Roth era tour to multi-track but there's certainly releasable stereo soundboard recordings especially from the first two world tours as bootlegs have proven.

8. Heisenberg, AJW, DFVH5150 thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 10:44 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    Van Halen definitely pro-recorded a few shows during the '82 Diver Down tour with the intent to release a live double album and perhaps a home video in Spring/Summer of '83 with perhaps a couple new studio tracks all designed to give them breathing room before the next studio album (1984). Neal Preston from Circus magazine quoted Eddie about this during the Diver Down tour.

And they may not have recorded a few shows from every Roth era tour to multi-track but there's certainly releasable stereo soundboard recordings especially from the first two world tours as bootlegs have proven.
    Yep, the soundboard recordings of Wichita 78, London 78, San Diego 79, and the INCREDIBLE Tuscon 79 gigs are great and would be AMAZING and would easily blow away both Tokyo Dome and RHRN if they were released.officially with minimal cleanup.

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Nothing tops the Greensboro '81 boot. I'd sell my pecker for an official release of that one.
    ...Zero Discipline

11. Heisenberg, JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Today @ 10:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    Yeah- I ran across a blurb in an old Kerrang Magazine that said the same thing & added that's why they were performing a few other cover tunes in the shows.

But I've never seen the Circus article. Neal Preston is a great photographer he recently put out a new book & he posts regularly on the Facebook.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Yep, the soundboard recordings of Wichita 78, London 78, San Diego 79, and the INCREDIBLE Tuscon 79 gigs are great and would be AMAZING and would easily blow away both Tokyo Dome and RHRN if they were released.officially with minimal cleanup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Nothing tops the Greensboro '81 boot. I'd sell my pecker for an official release of that one.
    Agreed- Greensboro '81 has long been one of my top 5 favorites. Mainly because of the unique beginning...I guess Mike broke a string right off the bat & they improvised out of the gate....love the way David yells " Greensboro!!!"...one hell of an entrance.

But I'm not so sure you guys understand the orgin of these kind of bootleg recordings. They do not come from the band. Most are from bootlegers that record the shows with single microphone tape recorders. They can not " clean them up for official release".

" Soundboard" recordings do not mean they were recorded through an actual soundboard....it means the tape recorder was at the soundboard. In many cases they are recorded by the bands crew referred to as " show tapes" for the band to listen & critiqué their performances. One of the big bootleg superfans in Holland stated that Alex told him they recorded all the shows for this reason. But again...these are single microphone tape deck recordings.

Those UK '78 bootlegs were evidently recorded by one of the guys the Black Sabbath crew with the tape deck on the stage.

I agree- Tuscan' 79 is a dynamite show. Great sound recording.

But - It's actually one of Alex's worst nights....he's very sloppy, missing beats, slowing down & speeding up, he's all over the place on that show.

That's one of the things that make it fun to listen to these kinda bootleg recordings. To hear the differances from various shows.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 11.23.18 at 08:33 PM.

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.06.20 @ 10:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Van Halen's live albums suck.

Bootlegs suck.

There are no really good live VH recordings. LWAN and Toronto PPV '95 come close, especially for Eddie, but not quite for the rest of 'em.

VH is probably a rare animal in that they really are a band that has to be experienced live to get the full picture of how they actually are in concert. Even if there's pro-shot footage, I dunno that even the best recordings can capture the energy and nuance of EVH live. It's one of the reasons he hasn't put out more live stuff. He doesn't think it's accurate representation and of course this is one of the things he's right about. But he's kind of an OC perfectionist when it comes to that context.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Bootlegs are for the crazy fans that want to hear the shows. Definetly not for everyone nor intended for repeated listenings. Just something extra for those curious enough to check out.

For me- I believe theres great value in many bootlegs as without them you'd never hear certain extra stuff not released on the official albums.

A few of my most played favorites off the top of my head are from DLR's 1988 Skyscaper Tour...

They do James Brown's " I'll Go Crazy", & The Beatles " I've Just Seen A Face"....I absolutley love those ones very much. Theres numerous others too many to mention.....Steely Dans " My Old School " from the Vegas '95 engagement & " Baker Street" from the crazy video thingy just to name a few.

& VH doing " Lucille" in Providence RI '81.

16. DFVH5150 thanked for this post.
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    There are no really good live VH recordings. LWAN comes close....(snip)...
    LWAN's sound quality is magnificent. I can't imagine anything possibly sounding better. The audio mix is superb.

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Yeah, the jams in between are obviously the perks, but better to be there live. I have yet to hear any recorded VH live, including the two studio albums and the two DVDs, that really enticed me whatsoever. But I'm not a big fan of live recordings from musicians anyway. My music live, I gotta be there. I can't stand live albums in the Bose or on the turntable. Just doesn't sound right. I suppose Budokan and Frampton Comes Alive are the sole exceptions, pretty much 'cause those are those guys' best albums.

It's ironic, VH not having jack shit for a barn burner live album, seeing as how they're one of the best live outfits in history. Stupid, really.

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    LWAN's sound quality is magnificent. I can't imagine anything possibly sounding better. The audio mix is superb.
    I can. The actual 86 tour. By country miles.

Again....live VH recordings just don't really capture them. To my ears and eyes, anyway. Maybe I've seen VH too much live, I dunno. I say the same thing about Rush and Rush puts out some damned fine live product, albums and DVDs. I've seen Rush live almost as much as Halen. But I just can't really listen or watch that stuff.

Live music is all about the experience in the moment. Secondary vicarious experience....ehh.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I hear ya I can dig it. But being at the show is a one time thing. The live recordings are just souvenirs for the most part.

I've always been a big fan of live albums for some reason. I know many folks don't dig them too much.

But yeah- Frampton Comes Alive, & Cheap Trick at Budokan seem to have been quite the extraordinary anomaly of sorts....being that they both yeilded big hits & extensive airplay at the time. Can't say I remember any other live albums being played as much as those two on the radio.

J Geils Band's Live Full House another good example of a dynamite live album.

Plus- We can't always attend the shows....to hear Hendrix for example....the live recordings are vital.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 11.23.18 at 10:12 PM.