Last Online

Today @ 01:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Default DNA ancesty sites used to crack another cold case

This is a 20 year old murder in Florida. On one hand, I think it is great that these sites are leading to closure ( if you believe in such a thing) But on the other hand, I feel a little uneasy about the use of these sites in this manner.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/local...218649870.html

New DNA tests lead to arrest in 1999 murder case in Sarasota, cops say
    BY SARA NEALEIGH

SARASOTA
    Advances in DNA testing technology — including a process that produces a computer-generated image of what a DNA sample’s contributor might look like — led to an arrest in a 1999 murder case in Sarasota, according to authorities.

Officials say DNA testing, part of the investigation into the murder of 47-year-old Deborah Dalzell in March 1999, led detectives with the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office to identify and arrest 39-year-old Luke Fleming.

During the initial investigation of the crime scene, detectives found semen evidence, according to the sheriff’s office. When run through the law enforcement DNA database, no matches were found.

But technology and research in DNA have advanced since Dalzell’s death, especially in the past three years, said Captain John Walsh of the sheriff’s office investigations bureau. After thousands of hours of investigation, talking to more than 300 people and getting nearly 100 DNA samples, Walsh said, investigators have some answers.

In 2015, the sheriff’s office reached out to Parabon Nanolabs. The company specializes in a technology called DNA phenotyping, a process that predicts physical appearance and ancestry from unidentified DNA evidence collected in the investigation, according to the sheriff’s office.

In 2016, detectives got a genetic profile of the collected DNA. The semen DNA produced predictions and a depiction of what the person may have looked like, the sheriff’s office said. Walsh explained detectives were able to use that composite and “develop new leads.”

Two years later, the sheriff’s office asked Parabon Nanolabs to do another analysis that compared the DNA to a database of volunteered DNA profiles to find relatives of the DNA sample.

Using family relationship information, detectives built a chart that identified a man named Joseph Fleming. Though he died in 2001, detectives learned he had two sons, Luke and Jesse Fleming, who lived in a home less than a mile from Dalzell.

Jesse Fleming, a convicted felon, already had his DNA in the law enforcement database. When his DNA didn’t match the sample, investigators determined Luke Fleming was the “only viable living relative,” Walsh said.

Luke Fleming also looked similar to the depiction provided by Parabon Nanolabs, according to Walsh.

“Detectives used this information to identify people who may have information helpful to the investigation, ultimately identifying 20-year-old Luke Fleming, who at the time, lived at 5185 Magnolia Pond Drive, walking distance to Deborah’s home,” according to the sheriff’s office.

A report received by the sheriff’s office on Sept. 14 identified Fleming as the contributor of the DNA sample, according to Walsh. Fleming was 20 at the time of Dalzell’s death.

On Wednesday, the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office held a news conference during which officials announced the development in their 19-year investigation into the death of Dalzell.

On Twitter, the sheriff’s office called the announcement “one of many steps in the right direction” toward closing the case.

Coworkers at KMC-Telecom were concerned for Dalzell after she did not show up for work on March 29, 1999. Deputies went to Dalzell’s home in the 5300 block of Colony Meadows Lane, where she lived alone and found her dead in the bathroom.

She had been beaten, sexually battered and strangled, according to investigators. The last time anyone spoke with Dalzell was the night before her body was found.

In the probable cause affidavit, investigators wrote they determined at least one person went in the rear of Dalzell’s home through a cut in the pool screen and an open door.

“This is a very significant day for Deborah’s family, for our community and our detectives,” Sheriff Tom Knight said in a news release. “I can’t imagine what it feels like to spend nearly twenty years with unanswered questions related to such a heinous crime. My thoughts are with Deborah’s family as I hope this resolution will eventually bring them the closure they need and deserve.”

Dalzell’s sister, Peggy Thistle, spoke at Wednesday’s news conference on behalf of the family. She said the family has dreamed of the news of an arrest more than 19 years. Investigators said Thistle was the last person to speak to Dalzell.

“It’s an emotional day today,” Thistle said, speaking through tears.

“We miss Deborah every day. We never gave up hope,” she said.

Thistle remembered her sister as kind, smart — she passed the Massachusetts Bar exam on her first attempt — and an “incredible role model.” She said Dalzell, a life-long Massachusetts girl, made the “huge decision” to move to Sarasota.

“But she fell in love with the beach, found the found the house of her dreams and called it paradise,” Thistle said. “On March 29, 1999, this evil person turned her paradise into a nightmare.”

She said they did not know the Fleming family.

Fleming was initially taken into custody in Ellenton late Sunday and was taken to the Sarasota County jail on Monday, according to the sheriff’s office. He was charged with murder and sexual battery with great bodily harm and is being held in Sarasota County on a $1.2 million bond.

Walsh said Fleming had an “unremarkable” criminal history, with a previous arrest in Manatee County for domestic battery.

Fleming had moved from Brooklyn, N.Y., to Sarasota in 1991 and graduated from Riverview High School in 1997, Walsh said. Fleming, he added, has lived in Pinellas County for the past year.

The investigation into Dalzell’s death is ongoing. Dalzell’s birthday is Friday, Thistle said.

According to IMDB.com, Dalzell’s murder was featured in an episode of Investigation Discovery’s “Sensing Murder” in 2006 in which two psychics sought clues in her death.

Big Bad Bill
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

10.22.20 @ 05:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

If you have nothing to hide and obey the law. What's the problem? They just solved a 10 year old case where I'm from using this. He still lived 7 blocks away from where he stabbed the girl to death.

D.O.A.
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Today @ 09:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels View Post
    If you have nothing to hide and obey the law. What's the problem?

Yeah, as long as people obey then their personal privacy ought not concern them.
    ☩ ☩ ☩

4. Dave's Dreidel thanked for this post.
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 02:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels View Post
    If you have nothing to hide and obey the law. What's the problem? They just solved a 10 year old case where I'm from using this. He still lived 7 blocks away from where he stabbed the girl to death.
    Let's just for a second assume that the government acquiring evidence without probable cause is A-Ok, there are other factors to consider.

This DNA mapping gives an idea into not just your DNA, but the DNA of all your close relatives as well, that is casting a very wide search net. This includes people that haven't even been born yet. This also assumes that the government is ONLY going to use DNA for altruistic purposes (yeah right), this could mean your mental and health issues being used against you at a future time, that should have been private information.

The government's argument is that you have "abandoned" your DNA with these companies, which I think is a horseshit argument, but they usually get what they want, they have the big stick.

Today we are using it to catch murderers. People might laugh it off, but how long until we are using it to try and solver burglaries, trespassing, shoplifting, etc.

I don't like it. There is nothing more personal or unique to a person than their own code that makes them.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

6. Wruff_ajax, BlindtotheWorld thanked for this post.
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

10.22.20 @ 07:15 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

That's why I've refused to participate in it. I don't give two shits if I'm 1.5% Mongolian or whatever. The government will not get my DNA info. I knew this would happen from the start. When my wife and her sister asked me to do it and I said 'no', their first question was "what did you do wrong?". Uh, nothing.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, ďTokyo Dome In Concert,Ē is available for purchase, and itís super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

8. Wruff_ajax thanked for this post.
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.23.20 @ 02:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    That's why I've refused to participate in it. I don't give two shits if I'm 1.5% Mongolian or whatever. The government will not get my DNA info. I knew this would happen from the start. When my wife and her sister asked me to do it and I said 'no', their first question was "what did you do wrong?". Uh, nothing.
    THIS.

You don't want your DNA to be on the internet, don't put it on the internet.
    Cabo x 25
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

03.02.20 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

My sil & her husband have done it. Me & mine, no way.
    -TVH-

There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult. -Warren Buffett

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Today @ 01:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I've done it. My mother and her sister did as well. Our reason was that my grandfather was an orphan. Of the foundling type. No birth certificate, no paper work back then, no known siblings. And it always bothered him. We did whatever we could in research for him and only found a baptismal record written in Latin that labeled him "illegitimate"

So Mom and her sister did a DNA test and found links to a bunch of people who do not fit in our carefully researched maternal line. So they must be on the Paternal side...my grandfathers people. It' going to take some research to figure out.

But I bought a kit for a family member as a gift last Christmas and he still has the thing and hasn't sent it in. I joked with him that he might find children he never knew he had and I think the idea is freaking him out a little.

I also have a cousin who took a test and is finding links to his father's family. Many of them never knew he existed. And I have another cousin who would like to do one, because she would like to confirm who her dad is, but we have always been told that she has a half sister who knows nothing about her, and she doesn't want to stir that pot.

If I had a half sibling I think I would want to know, but then again it would change EVERYTHING I thought I knew about my family

It's a tricky thing in many ways

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

In 1977 the older kid across the street was taken to the Galveston Seawall and executed. Shot in the head with a 30.06 because he knew who had robbed a gas station and was also involved in some small time coke traffic. He was 19 years old. I was home from school that day that his mother came over crying to my mother that he had been killed. We all know who did this but there was never any evidence.
    I would love to see those guys put away--one of them has already passed away. Another one was convicted in Mexico for drug smuggling and spent 20 years in a Mexican prison.
    If it is this technology that gets them the So Be It......
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē