Paiste-Zildjian question
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    I'm The One

    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    3,107
    Posts Per Day
    0.56
    Favorite VH Song

    Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

    10.07.20 @ 10:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4
    Thanks (Given)
    1221
    Thanks (Received)
    2020

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default Paiste-Zildjian question

    I'm not even a drummer, but I love looking at drums and watching drum videos.

    Something I've wondered about...back in the `70's and `80's it seemed like everybody used Paiste cymbals. Nowadays I rarely ever see anyone using Paistes, they seem as endangered as a Slingerland drum kit. Everybody's got Zildjians, even Jason Bonham, who's dad was well-known to use Paiste. And when I was looking at some new Paistes the other day, why did they change the logo? The old Helvetica or Arial Bold logo really stood out and advertised the brand. Now they've got some chicken scratch logo that looks like it was done with a magic marker that you can't decipher from five feet away.

    What's with Paiste cymbals these days?

  2. #2
    Hang 'Em High
    JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    47
    Posts
    19,260
    Posts Per Day
    3.75
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    6290
    Likes (Received)
    2485
    Thanks (Given)
    48590
    Thanks (Received)
    14288

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    I'm not even a drummer, but I love looking at drums and watching drum videos.

    Something I've wondered about...back in the `70's and `80's it seemed like everybody used Paiste cymbals. Nowadays I rarely ever see anyone using Paistes, they seem as endangered as a Slingerland drum kit. Everybody's got Zildjians, even Jason Bonham, who's dad was well-known to use Paiste. And when I was looking at some new Paistes the other day, why did they change the logo? The old Helvetica or Arial Bold logo really stood out and advertised the brand. Now they've got some chicken scratch logo that looks like it was done with a magic marker that you can't decipher from five feet away.

    What's with Paiste cymbals these days?
    Paistes are still the choice of Alex Van Halen, and still the best. I've played both Zildjians and Paistes over the years. I've had Zildjians crack. I've NEVER had a single Paiste cymbal crack on me, knock on wood, or knock on bronze.

    It's kind of like that with dw drums compared to Ludwig. Ludwigs are still legendary and still King, and still the choice of Alex Van Halen, who has never jumped ship. But everyone, including Neil Peart, has jumped on the overpriced and overhyped dw bandwagon. Oh well.

  3. #3
    I'm The One

    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    3,107
    Posts Per Day
    0.56
    Favorite VH Song

    Hang `em High, I'm the One
    Last Online

    10.07.20 @ 10:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4
    Thanks (Given)
    1221
    Thanks (Received)
    2020

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    I've NEVER had a single Paiste cymbal crack on me, knock on wood, or knock on bronze.
    My friend who plays drums (and thought maybe Greta Van Fleet sounded like AC/DC ) once cracked a Paiste Colorsound cymbal. But it was worth it, because when Anthrax did an in store signing back around Persistence of Time, he took it for them to sign and he said Joey Belladonna said, "Yeah, that's the way you do it! Beat the piss out of `em!" I wasn't even there yet I felt proud.

    I used to see the Pearl name constantly, too, and it seems like they disappeared. Now I see Yamaha more often, which I used to think was more of a jazz fusion guy's kit.

    There is just something about the Ludwig logo, any version of it, surrounded by some Paiste cymbals that tells you greatness is about to ensue.

  4. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
  5. #4
    Hang 'Em High
    JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    47
    Posts
    19,260
    Posts Per Day
    3.75
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    6290
    Likes (Received)
    2485
    Thanks (Given)
    48590
    Thanks (Received)
    14288

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    My friend who plays drums (and thought maybe Greta Van Fleet sounded like AC/DC ) once cracked a Paiste Colorsound cymbal. But it was worth it, because when Anthrax did an in store signing back around Persistence of Time, he took it for them to sign and he said Joey Belladonna said, "Yeah, that's the way you do it! Beat the piss out of `em!" I wasn't even there yet I felt proud.

    I used to see the Pearl name constantly, too, and it seems like they disappeared. Now I see Yamaha more often, which I used to think was more of a jazz fusion guy's kit.

    There is just something about the Ludwig logo, any version of it, surrounded by some Paiste cymbals that tells you greatness is about to ensue.
    Haha that's a cool story. And, you're right about Pearl and Yamahas too.

    But, you hit it out of the ballpark with your last sentence.

  6. ArtyBoy thanked for this post.
  7. #5
    Take Your Whiskey Home

    Join Date
    03.07.16
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,637
    Posts Per Day
    2.98
    Last Online

    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Likes (Given)
    865
    Likes (Received)
    666
    Thanks (Given)
    6167
    Thanks (Received)
    5861

    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    I'm still a loyal Pearl guy. In the end its what makes you feel comfortable and connected to your instrument, there really is no one brand fits all in my view. Gretsch drums I can't stand, not a quality issue but I just never get the feel I want for some damn reason. Go with what you feel most connected to

    I prefer Z sound but they are more temperamental than Paiste. Paiste take a pounding better.
    Last edited by Darrin Stephens; 06.18.18 at 01:27 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Robert 'RZ' Zildjian R.I.P.
    By Dutchie5150 in forum Musicians' Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04.04.13, 04:32 PM
  2. NAMM 2010: Paiste and Alex Van Halen announce Big Ride
    By James in New York in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01.18.10, 09:36 AM
  3. red,black,white stripe question and peavey question
    By lardo5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05.14.09, 08:25 AM
  4. Zildjian cymbals
    By 84PSYCHO in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12.22.01, 04:41 AM
  5. a "serious" question
    By 1984 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09.18.00, 12:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •