EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 02:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Default Van Halen Vancouver Live 1979

Now, THIS is a band that was truly on fire and unstoppable live. Unparalleled intensity, musicianship, and entertainment as a rock band.

2. Harpospoke, I Coulda Hada VH, Heisenberg, shea73 thanked for this post.
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Jesus....anyone know how to grow back eyebrows? This just melted mine away.

Too bad this wasn't them at the US Fest or at the Monsters of Rock when Metallica "blew them off the stage". Metallica would have been left gasping for air opening for this VH.

4. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.12.20 @ 06:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post

Now, THIS is a band that was truly on fire and unstoppable live. Unparalleled intensity, musicianship, and entertainment as a rock band.
    THAT was Van Halen!
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

6. AJW thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 02:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Yeah, those young guys are pretty good. Hopefully they all don't derail and break up....haha.....

8. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Harpospoke, bklynboy68, AJW thanked for this post.
    Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.14.20 @ 09:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points

Are there any soundboards other than Pasadena 1977 from the original band? It's just shocking to me that there don't seem to be. It's like there was a Men in Black level coverup effort to keep 1976-1985 from being properly documented, officially or otherwise.

10. Harpospoke, AJW thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

AS for the actual show, a favorite among most bootleg collectors.

Ed, Al and Mike are all spot on. Incredible playing. They kill it.

Dave's raps are also all great. Does them in most of the same points as other 1979 shows, but changes some things up.

During Dave's rap after RWTD he talks about Pete A's birthday and how they have been partying all day.

During the intro rap to On Fire Dave talks about getting up early and the hot under the covers story..... he then mentions the lines that he would use later on the next album.....Everybody Wants Some...... well...I want some to....

Dave's intro rap to FYLT includes a story about Dave and Ed going out looking for Milwaukee's Finest..... and I ain't talkin about BEER!

During the break in ATBL Dave gets a "mood" going. Dave takes a survey to find out "Who likes to get HIGH????" Then Dave has everybody light up their matches....

During the break in Bottoms Up he does the famous "Story of Joe". Al and Dave were out playing some Baseball poker. Dave ended up winning $85. The dudes don't want to pay Dave. Dave has to go get Joe.... His SHOTGUN!!!

Lot's to take in here. Hopefully everyone listens to this show in it's entirety. These 79 shows weren't just concerts..... they were fuckin EVENTS!

12. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Harpospoke, bklynboy68, 51501984, AJW thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    AS for the actual show, a favorite among most bootleg collectors.

Ed, Al and Mike are all spot on. Incredible playing. They kill it.

Dave's raps are also all great. Does them in most of the same points as other 1979 shows, but changes some things up.

During Dave's rap after RWTD he talks about Pete A's birthday and how they have been partying all day.

During the intro rap to On Fire Dave talks about getting up early and the hot under the covers story..... he then mentions the lines that he would use later on the next album.....Everybody Wants Some...... well...I want some to....

Dave's intro rap to FYLT includes a story about Dave and Ed going out looking for Milwaukee's Finest..... and I ain't talkin about BEER!

During the break in ATBL Dave gets a "mood" going. Dave takes a survey to find out "Who likes to get HIGH????" Then Dave has everybody light up their matches....

During the break in Bottoms Up he does the famous "Story of Joe". Al and Dave were out playing some Baseball poker. Dave ended up winning $85. The dudes don't want to pay Dave. Dave has to go get Joe.... His SHOTGUN!!!

Lot's to take in here. Hopefully everyone listens to this show in it's entirety. These 79 shows weren't just concerts..... they were fuckin EVENTS!
    Since we get the pleasure of reading nuggets on how a 70 yr old Sam is BETTER than Dave ever was, or how Dave sucks live, in virtually every thread I'm just going to say it and don't care who gets pissed off. VH as a live unit from 1978-81 makes the VH from the 92 Westwood recording sound like a band that was going through the motions somewhat. There is just no comparison in any way in energy level and intensity.

Before the same yahoos accuse me of hating the Hagar era, I also believe VH in both 86 and 88 was way better than what VH was on that 91-92 tour.

14. Harpospoke, bklynboy68, 51501984, vcooper3, AJW, BlofeldsCat thanked for this post.
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Are there any soundboards other than Pasadena 1977 from the original band? It's just shocking to me that there don't seem to be. It's like there was a Men in Black level coverup effort to keep 1976-1985 from being properly documented, officially or otherwise.
    Couple of Well Known audio only Soundboard bootlegs go around. Most are sourced from the video.

Cap Center Largo, MD 5/1/1980
    Cap Center Largo, MD 10/12/1982
    Caracas, Venezuela 1/16/1983 (FM radio source)
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 1/21/1983
    Montevideo, Uruguay 2/5/1983 (FM Radio source)
    US Fest 5/29/1983

Some think Stockholm, Sweden 8/25/84 is a Soundboard, but it is pretty debatable.
    Also some debate with Dallas, Tx 11/18/82 if it is a true Soundboard. It is pretty dry, but does pick up crowd noise when Dave talks during breaks.

16. snowdog thanked for this post.
    Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Couple of Well Known audio only Soundboard bootlegs go around. Most are sourced from the video.

Cap Center Largo, MD 5/1/1980
    Cap Center Largo, MD 10/12/1982
    Caracas, Venezuela 1/16/1983 (FM radio source)
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 1/21/1983
    Montevideo, Uruguay 2/5/1983 (FM Radio source)
    US Fest 5/29/1983

Some think Stockholm, Sweden 8/25/84 is a Soundboard, but it is pretty debatable.
    Also some debate with Dallas, Tx 11/18/82 if it is a true Soundboard. It is pretty dry, but does pick up crowd noise when Dave talks during breaks.

Gotcha, yeah so most of those are simply the audio companions of existing video I have. I've never heard the 1980 show though, I'll have to track that down. Thanks!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Since we get the pleasure of reading nuggets on how a 70 yr old Sam is BETTER than Dave ever was, or how Dave sucks live, in virtually every thread I'm just going to say it and don't care who gets pissed off. VH as a live unit from 1978-81 makes the VH from the 92 Westwood recording sound like a band that was going through the motions somewhat. There is just no comparison in any way in energy level and intensity.

Before the same yahoos accuse me of hating the Hagar era, I also believe VH in both 86 and 88 was way better than what VH was on that 91-92 tour.
    The 1979 run of shows is probably my favorite. They were able to expand out further with the longer headlining spot. Fresno 79 is off the charts. 78 England and then the 78 Japan run is fantastic. Los Angeles, Philly and Phoenix 1981 stand out. San Francisco 82. Not sure if I have a fav from 80, maybe Toronto or London?

But don't get me wrong, I love Live Without A Net. I listen to New Haven 86 expanded audio all the time.

19. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

What's this from? It sounds like it could maybe be a soundboard but it's hard to tell on my computer. Is this the Largo 1980 show mislabeled? Or a separate show?

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 11:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Love these 1978 and 1979 shows. Damn, what a fucking band and I can only imagine how great those shows were to go to.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

The 1979 run of shows is probably my favorite. They were able to expand out further with the longer headlining spot. Fresno 79 is off the charts. 78 England and then the 78 Japan run is fantastic. Los Angeles, Philly and Phoenix 1981 stand out. San Francisco 82. Not sure if I have a fav from 80, maybe Toronto or London?

But don't get me wrong, I love Live Without A Net. I listen to New Haven 86 expanded audio all the time.
    LWAN is great, and I have a some boots from that tour that are even better performances than New Haven. And I like Tokyo 89 more than LWAN. I think the OU812 tour is probably my favorite of the Hagar era.

23. BlofeldsCat thanked for this post.
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't see it as an insult. I see it as simple biology. Youth can't be faked. They had it from 78-81 before they started getting sick of each other and getting married.

A band can get "tighter" and all that as they age, but it's not the same power that really matters in rock music. Is there sweat flying all over the place? Is there energy pouring from the stage and washing over the crowd? Are they moving with the ease and abandon of a 22 year old?

Examples like the David Letterman band. Super tight with pros at every position...but they aren't rocking anything. 1979 VH would erase them from existence no matter how "tight" they were. Huey Lewis and the News was another "tight" band...meh. Same with the Eagles. *yawn*

25. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1986 - 1996
    Favorite VH Song

5150, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

09.18.19 @ 04:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

LOL.

Yeah stick to Roth because you’re clueless when it comes to 86-96.

1991 live VH was the best they ever were as a live band. Better vocals, better musicianship.

Glad you like the youthful energy. I’ll take the experienced and polished live band.