Posts Per Day
    Last Online

07.16.21 @ 08:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Ah, I assumed she must've been preachy about social issues. I guess I can take pride in the fact that I was unaware of that.
    Even if she wasn't preachy she still wouldn't be that good.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

I only mentioned Brie winning an Oscar to speak to your claim of her being an "untalented hack." But, you're right, the awards are stupid, I agree. Sorry, but I still fail to see why she is an issue. I'm not familiar with her preachiness.

And I agree that Hollywood seems to be creatively bankrupt. I'm actually in agreement with many of your points.

I still fail to see, however, how this ties back to your original talking point of everyone in Hollywood being child-diddlers.
    Well, folks are saying that they only care about being entertained and I'm pointing out that Hollywood isn't even that great at that anymore.

Former Child actors like Elijah Wood has spoke about

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety...201781021/amp/

There is Dan Schneider:

https://www.eviemagazine.com/post/ni...hild-sex-abuse

I don't see how people can't see what is being promoted by the co entertainment biz and not see how sick it really is.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    It’s on IMDB as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. If they do change it to just Snow White, we’ll, that’s the name of the original Grimm tale (Schneewittchen).

Anyway, we’re at a point in time where there’s never been better moving pictures for our naked steaming eyes to look at across multiple platforms on broadcast TV, cable, and streaming. Yes, cinematic releases are mostly safe bets these days, but “creatively bankrupt” is pretty superficial.

I mean, one of the biggest shows of the last year was about a female chess player. (And I don’t care it was based on a book. That’s nothing new in Hollywood going back to Wizard of Oz.) We also have thad he Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Umbrella Academy, Ozark, The Expanse, Handmaid’s Tale, The Morning Show, Ted Lasso, The Flight Attendant, Mare of Easttown, The Good Place, Lovecraft Country, Watchmen, Game of Thrones…I could go on for hours. All kinds of stuff not based upon an existing IP or a spin-off, and yet with Mandalorian and Star Trek: Discovery, amongst a whole lot of others, those are good, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Morning Show? Yeah, not going to watch a show built a book written by a terrible CNN anchor. Plus, a show about news media people in this current environment?

There are one or two things here... But most sort of reflect the coastal nature of Hollywood.

Now, things might be a little better in terms of television than in movies, but it isn't a "superficial" claim at all.

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Agreed.

To me it just makes sense that if you’re investing tons of money where the losses could be substantial, you’re going to go with things with a proven track record. Back in the day, it was movies, three channels, and little else.

Like, with all that competition a d money on the line, why make some other archaeological film when you have the rights to Indiana Jones? You’re not going to take a chance on Gerard Butler as Kentucky Buck when a film can cost $200 million to make.

Some of the more entertaining movies have been made on lower budget.

Movies like Halloween and Evil Dead are classics and were made on low budgets.

The idea that you need 200 million to make a good movie is incorrect.

Who was begging for another Indiana Jones movie? About the only one left from the franchise's start is Harrison Ford and he is pushing 80.

Then, you have the Terminator franchise... Which has been largely panned for the last 20 years, but they will not stop trying to revive it. They've tried everything... But will not the message than everything after T2 is shit.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Today @ 08:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    I don't think so.

When I say "younger" it sometimes is reletive to the 50 and up club.

Some of the highly promoted people like Larson and Michael B. Jordan aren't THAT MUCH younger than me.

They're still from the same generation as me.

My generation just sucks.
    I don't think that if you ask people to list the greatest actors of the past 30 years that Larson and Jordan are gonna be spit out of their mouths. They certainly aren't the biggest box office stars. That would be Robert Downey Jr/Scarlett Johansson/Johnny Depp/Dwayne Johnson's of the world, wouldn't it? Granted I haven't been in a movie theatre for 2 years

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:19 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster

It's, of course, all subjective.

I agree that there certainly is much more of a variety from which to choose. It kind of sucks to have to sift through so much to find something really good to watch. At least, that's my experience.

While I agree that the 'creatively bankrupt' description is a bit superficial, I was applying it more to Hollywood movies. Again, that's my experience lately.
    I just mean if you’re looking for story and characters, it’s not at the movies. The theaters are for tranforming Jurassic wars in the stars, mostly.

The Morning Show? Yeah, not going to watch a show built a book written by a terrible CNN anchor. Plus, a show about news media people in this current environment?

There are one or two things here... But most sort of reflect the coastal nature of Hollywood.

Now, things might be a little better in terms of television than in movies, but it isn't a "superficial" claim at all.
    Some of the more entertaining movies have been made on lower budget.

Movies like Halloween and Evil Dead are classics and were made on low budgets.

The idea that you need 200 million to make a good movie is incorrect.

Who was begging for another Indiana Jones movie? About the only one left from the franchise's start is Harrison Ford and he is pushing 80.

Then, you have the Terminator franchise... Which has been largely panned for the last 20 years, but they will not stop trying to revive it. They've tried everything... But will not the message than everything after T2 is shit.
    Again, plenty of character-driven stories not based on a toy or previous franchise that are good. We have a whole thread here in what people are watching. Don’t like the Morning Show, watch Queen’s Gambit or a million other good shows.

Yes, just because it’s based upon on IP doesn’t mean it will be good. And yes, you can make a movie in a small budget. I loved The Big Sick a few years ago. Made for $5 million The Hammer by Adam Carolla is a great movie. Made for less than a million.

But we’re dancing around my point. There’s lots of good, story-driven and character-driven stuff coming out of Hollywood that isn’t fluff. At the same time, when movies—for the most part—that come out cost lots of money, it’s understandable they’re often based on a known entity.

I get it, Hollywood is your enemy and there will always be a reason they’re bad and bad at their jobs, but I don’t think that’s objectively true.

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 04:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

I think there's an enormous amount of crap out there these days. Sure there's a some good movies and shows here and there but the huge volume of new content is so overwhelming that obviously, there's going to be more junk to wade through. Large part of it is the big streaming companies need to keep infusing their channels with new content so they are grabbing every idea and show out there looking for whatever will proverbially stick to the wall. Just look at something like Netflix - a lot of their shows and movies are coming from other countries/studios outside the typical "Hollywood" mainstream.

But I have to agree with the fact that the mainstream traditional "Hollywood" channels/studios (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc) are churning out a gigantic percentage of garbage that pushes message over decent story telling and solid characters.

Just don't watch.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Today @ 07:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

How long before "person" is offensive? Think of the the ones that don't identify as humans..

We wouldn't want the folks who identify as elephants to feel excluded.
    Well, Trans-humanism is... a thing..
    R.I.P. Edward Lodewijk Van Halen ~~ The Einstein of Rock Guitar ~~

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

LWI/WIL/WCTBL
    Last Online

Today @ 07:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    RookieMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum Rookie-Of-The-Year

I miss Eddie Van Halen.

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I just mean if you’re looking for story and characters, it’s not at the movies. The theaters are for tranforming Jurassic wars in the stars, mostly.

Again, plenty of character-driven stories not based on a toy or previous franchise that are good. We have a whole thread here in what people are watching. Don’t like the Morning Show, watch Queen’s Gambit or a million other good shows.

Yes, just because it’s based upon on IP doesn’t mean it will be good. And yes, you can make a movie in a small budget. I loved The Big Sick a few years ago. Made for $5 million The Hammer by Adam Carolla is a great movie. Made for less than a million.

But we’re dancing around my point. There’s lots of good, story-driven and character-driven stuff coming out of Hollywood that isn’t fluff. At the same time, when movies—for the most part—that come out cost lots of money, it’s understandable they’re often based on a known entity.

I get it, Hollywood is your enemy and there will always be a reason they’re bad and bad at their jobs, but I don’t think that’s objectively true.

A good bit of my criticism of the film business is due to my disliking of their social agenda and such... But my criticism is not fully that.

I grew up on R rated horror, Rambo, raunchy 80's comedy... Commando...Dirty Harry...Westerns... And as I grew older I became a big fan of film noir.

Although I like Batman, I guess this movie world of Superhero movies, coastal and burbs content just isn't going to appeal to me.

Another thing... I'm a pretty secular kinda guy in my personal life, but I miss family oriented TV shows. The kind with parents that aren't total morons. Where the dad isn't a goofy out of touch cuck that exists for mockery.

Hollywood also used to be able to provide stuff for rural America aswell as burbs and urban America. Honestly, even if they tried it wouldn't feel authentic at this point.

It is what it is... The entertainment biz is reflective of coastal and white burbs America.

It's who they are.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 06.23.21 at 08:16 PM.

11. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Today @ 12:58 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePadawan PraiserWell-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    There has never been more great filmmaking and show production than at any point in our lives. There has also never been more poor filmmaking and show production than at any point in our lifetime. I saw a few movies a year when i was a kid. You now have access to so much stuff that you couldn't possibly get to it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    The same thing happened with music when streaming came along. There's so much good music, more than ever, but so much bad stuff. Like major music labels, the quality of stuff released on the major networks is mostly vapid junk but it sells for whatever reason. The good stuff in music, tv, and movies; you have to dig for.

13. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 12:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Mama's Fool View Post
    The same thing happened with music when streaming came along. There's so much good music, more than ever, but so much bad stuff. Like major music labels, the quality of stuff released on the major networks is mostly vapid junk but it sells for whatever reason. The good stuff in music, tv, and movies; you have to dig for.
    This.

If you have the time to find it, there is more great music out there than ever as the cost of entry into releasing music is minimal. If I was good enough, it wouldn't cost much to get my music on iTunes and available to the masses.

But as you said, most industry pop, where the money is for labels, sucks donkey balls.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Today @ 12:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

This is getting more than comical now.

Now 'trigger warning' is banned by Brandeis University along with the 'offensive' phrases 'picnic', 'rule of thumb' and 'take a shot at it'

Brandeis University in Waltham, MA, has created an anti-violence resource

It says words like 'picnic' should not be used by students or faculty members
    The liberal arts college proposes dreary alternatives such as 'outdoor eating'

It even argues against 'trigger warning' - coined to help protect the sensitive

44621131-9721153-image-a-58_1624533967951.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-language.html
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Today @ 08:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Didn't know that's where rule of thumb came from.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Today @ 12:16 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    This is getting more than comical now.

Now 'trigger warning' is banned by Brandeis University along with the 'offensive' phrases 'picnic', 'rule of thumb' and 'take a shot at it'

Brandeis University in Waltham, MA, has created an anti-violence resource

It says words like 'picnic' should not be used by students or faculty members
    The liberal arts college proposes dreary alternatives such as 'outdoor eating'

It even argues against 'trigger warning' - coined to help protect the sensitive

44621131-9721153-image-a-58_1624533967951.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-language.html
    I live 10 miles from Brandeis.

This is my surprised face.

Tommy-Lee-Jones.jpg