Posts Per Day
    Last Online

07.16.21 @ 08:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Every generation has thought this since the Greeks.

They’ve actually studied this and there’s a hypothesis as to why this is: people judge subjectively based upon their interests.

In a survey meant to represent America, people were asked how the next generation compared to earlier ones and, as we’d guess, they marked the newer generations as being worse. In particular they were asked about their intelligence, respectfulness, and if they were well-read.

Here’s the interesting thing. People responded based upon their perspective. In other words, those who said they were well-read said the new generation was not. Those who put respect near the top of their morals hierarchy said the new generation wasn’t respectful. And those who scored highest on IQ tests said the new generation was less intelligent. Instead of objectively making a call, they were comparing generations based upon how they themselves looked best.

And the twist—when people who said they were well-read and scored well on an author recognition test but then were told they didn’t score well, they were less likely to say the new generation wasn’t well-read.

So while I’m sure it’s more complicated, older people who are good at and value certain things more than others are then more likely to make a judgement call about the youth being worse at those particular things than they are. Then that jives with their memories of being young, except memories are extremely unreliable. It’s an illusion people create.

That’s not to say men don’t act the same, for example, as they used to, or aren’t as tough, but that doesn’t objectively mean they’re worse (and I know that’s not what Dave was saying, just an example).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Right now... I'd put my generation as being worse than the youngest.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Right now... I'd put my generation as being worse than the youngest.
    I’d be interested in what you’re using to determine this. Not saying it can’t be true, but it’s worth trying to explore as objectively as possible.

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Today @ 08:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Too easy. LOL He's also playing Gepetto in an upcoming version of Pinocchio. He really plays right into those 'theories' sometimes.

I was referring to Saving Private Ryan--it was on the other night.
    Tom wanted to call it Saving Ryan's privates but that would have been too obvious
    Cabo x 25
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 09:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post
    I always laugh when I see folks my age criticize millennials for being lazy or whatever the stereotype is..who raised these millennials to be that way?
    I remember a childhood friends dad giving us a hard time for playing Atari all day
    Parents did but as I have said numerous time, parents don't dictate change in raising kids. Government, self help books and most importantly school systems influence the way one should raise a kid more than the parent. The parent has to either "get on board" or being ostracized or maybe even charged with a crime if they don't play by the rules.

School systems and external groups were the ones that brought up "time outs" with removing corporal punishment in schools. My parents didn't ask for it even though I got hit. School system had to remove it due to pressure and likely eventual lawsuits that would have been used against said school system. Then parents conform to new ideas because its hard enough to raise a kid. Harder still being singled out for being a child abuser or being cruel. So yes parents of kids born in the late 70's and 80's had to change with the times.

Oh you want to ride a bike? Gotta wear that helmet. You think it looks ridiculous? Well guess what a law is coming that you need to ensure your kid is wearing a helmet even though you can't recall anybody suffereing a brain injury when you rode your bike.

You want to walk home from school even though its 5 miles away so you can go maybe visit a few places? Nope. Child molesters are out and about. Plus its against school policy to not be on the bus on the way home without picking up your kid. So school policy then became law where a parent can be brought up on child endangerment charges because their kid walks to school

Oh about buses. When I was picked up, we had a bus stop every thousand feet or so. If it was raining you stood out there waiting. If it was cold, you stood out there with bread bags over your socks to make sure your leaky boots didn't get wet. If it was hot,; you stood out there. Today, busses pick kids up at every house.

We didn't have air conditioning in half of our schools. Senior and Junior wing didn't have AC. You couldn't wear shorts. You had to gut it out with jeans. Today, schools say "eh its too hot, wear shorts and a t shirt"

Then you have lunches and food. Your kid brings shit to school that isn't approved, well you will get a call.

Look at the battles that occur about what is being teached. Left and Right. What happens is that the school board decides on content. Most of it veers left like CRT and unless parents decide to fight back, its the standard. Then add 10 years. Those kids have kids. This is what they know so its expected.

Long story short all the changes in parenting from likely hundreds of years of upbringing have been changed at a systematic level since the 70's If you don't play nice, you get singled out. So parents have to conform not the other way around., Schools take the lead on developing the child to their liking. Parents have to abide by it or they suffer from peer pressure

Yes parents are ultimately at fault but then you home school and with maybe two professionals out there, its kind of tough to do. Schools have created this mess. The parents had to go along with it

5. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Because stuff that might not directly affect my life today might do so tomorrow.

Why is the country in the mess it is currently in?

Because there are many ego centric folks that are will ignore everything not directly in front of their face.... As long as they have Fast and the Furious part 50 to watch.

The changes happening today effect the futures of my nieces and nephews. They have to deal with this stuff more than me...

No, you can't worry yourself to death over things you don't fully control.... But blissful ignorance isn't the way to go either.
    Bro, you act like we are in Beirut. Everything in this country and life if I’m honest is cyclical. The kids saying all this shit and learning all this stuff will change their tunes once they start paying taxes and seeing how the world really works. Pie in the sky thinking and hope is great. But life has a funny way of telling you how shit is gonna work whether you like it or not.

I really wouldn’t worry too much.

7. cabomiro Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 09:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

RNB enjoy the Hawks’ title run and relax man.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Too easy. LOL He's also playing Gepetto in an upcoming version of Pinocchio. He really plays right into those 'theories' sometimes.

I was referring to Saving Private Ryan--it was on the other night.
    Getting off the politics/child diddler stuff for a second... Hanks had already lost his sense of humor by Private Ryan....

Tom was more charismatic in the days of The Burbs, The Money Pit.... Those movies.

After he got some Hollywood awards he became a more bland personality who was in movies that were good, but not really good because of him. In most cases...
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 06.24.21 at 02:27 PM.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    RNB enjoy the Hawks’ title run and relax man.
    That's not going to happen... Bog is clearly injured and Hunter is a key piece that is still missing.

But this is the best chance they've had in the last 50 years... The east is finally weak enough for them to have a chance. lol

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 09:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

That's not going to happen... Bog is clearly injured and Hunter is a key piece that is still missing.

But this is the best chance they've had in the last 50 years... The east is finally weak enough for them to have a chance. lol
    They can absolutely win the whole thing, not just the East. It’s OK man you can be excited and you can be happy. It’s OK we know you are still you but you don’t have to keep looking for the negative. We won’t think less of you if you are happy about this.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

12. It's Mike, CaboChris, VH1986, MD 5150, cabomiro Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

I just want to see Jamie Gertz.

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Bro, you act like we are in Beirut. Everything in this country and life if I’m honest is cyclical. The kids saying all this shit and learning all this stuff will change their tunes once they start paying taxes and seeing how the world really works. Pie in the sky thinking and hope is great. But life has a funny way of telling you how shit is gonna work whether you like it or not.

I really wouldn’t worry too much.
    I'm old enough to remember the hippy days of the late 60's. We managed to get through that nonsense without the country falling to pieces for the most part.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 10:37 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the hippy days of the late 60's. We managed to get through that nonsense without the country falling to pieces for the most part.
    The hippy and the sexual revolutions and Civil Rights movement of the 60’s were probably more of a culture shock for the ‘Greatest Generation’ than anything Baby Boomers see going on now.

Elvis’ hips were literally cut off during a broadcast because adults from the Greatest Generation thought it was far too sexually provocative to show on television. Hip shaking.

Now, Nicky Minaj is rubbing her literal pussy up against her backup dancers on stage while singing a song called ‘Wet Ass Pussy’.

To my parents’ generation it’s virtually the same reaction.

And I’m sure to my generation in 20 years we’re going to see what’s going on and go, “Jesus. What the fuck is this?”

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

I'll Wait
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 11:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    I just want to see Jamie Gertz.

I'll Wait
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 11:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    The hippy and the sexual revolutions and Civil Rights movement of the 60’s were probably more of a culture shock for the ‘Greatest Generation’ than anything Baby Boomers see going on now.

Elvis’ hips were literally cut off during a broadcast because adults from the Greatest Generation thought it was far too sexually provocative to show on television. Hip shaking.

Now, Nicky Minaj is rubbing her literal pussy up against her backup dancers on stage while singing a song called ‘Wet Ass Pussy’.

To my parents’ generation it’s virtually the same reaction.

And I’m sure to my generation in 20 years we’re going to see what’s going on and go, “Jesus. What the fuck is this?”
    Steve Jobs.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Nude.