Today @ 05:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    From my experience working for ICU in Canada they will have her on a fasttrack queue to get her in as soon as possible. I suspect they have to wait for a cancellation or for further OR resources to be available to confirm a surgery for her. I would hope it would be a short delay, given the seriousness of pancreatic cancer.

Also make sure that you're an advocate for your mom. Call the relevant department as much as you can to make sure that she isn't somehow missed if a space opens up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia Act View Post
    Sorry to hear about your mother. Both my parents had cancer. Hope she gets in for that needed surgery sooner rather than later.

I fully know the toll it takes on you/family emotionally.
    Much obliged, friends. I'm pretty optimistic. Good thing is they found it pretty early. Yeah, I hate how the Canadian system has lots of waiting...but (as KS said), I'll try and keep on top of the scheduling for her.

Thankfully, she has my dad as support too...and he's trying to stay on top of it. He has cancer too(!)...prostate...it's never going to completely go away cuz they found it pretty late, but he's getting treatment...and it's in remission at the moment and he's still been able to teach...he teaches economics at the University of Toronto.

My problems are not unique...I've noticed so many having a lot of these same issues. Getting older is just about problem after problem piling up. Life can be good...but as we get older, we just have to be prepared for the shit sandwiches that can be served... As long as we keep our heads above water and try to deal with everything one at a time...
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 08:51 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!Thee KingMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Much obliged, friends. I'm pretty optimistic. Good thing is they found it pretty early. Yeah, I hate how the Canadian system has lots of waiting...but (as KS said), I'll try and keep on top of the scheduling for her.

Thankfully, she has my dad as support too...and he's trying to stay on top of it. He has cancer too(!)...prostate...it's never going to completely go away cuz they found it pretty late, but he's getting treatment...and it's in remission at the moment and he's still been able to teach...he teaches economics at the University of Toronto.

My problems are not unique...I've noticed so many having a lot of these same issues. Getting older is just about problem after problem piling up. Life can be good...but as we get older, we just have to be prepared for the shit sandwiches that can be served... As long as we keep our heads above water and try to deal with everything one at a time...
    I hope your Mother is cancer free soon.

My Dad's good friend had stage 4 lung cancer around a decade ago. He survived it and is doing well now.

My Aunt also survived cancer and is doing well.

So there are some great doctors in Ontario.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

3. VH1986, Rikk Liked This Post
    Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 05:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Even Healthcare is not immune to this madness

Concerns about 'structural racism' prompt major Mass. hospital network to change policies about babies born addicted to drugs

A major hospital network in Massachusetts has now revamped its policies regarding babies born addicted to drugs in an attempt to address "significant racial and ethnic inequities" it claims are associated with substance abuse disorder.

On Tuesday, Mass General Brigham, the commonwealth's largest hospital group, announced that it will no longer automatically report that an infant has been born with drug addiction since the automatic reporting and other such policies "disproportionately affect Black individuals."

Current commonwealth law demands mandatory reporting of all infants with "physical dependence upon an addictive drug at birth." However, the hospitals affiliated with Mass General Brigham — including Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Newton-Wellesley Hospital, and Salem Hospital — will now encourage reporting such cases to child protective services only if the babies are "suffering or at imminent risk of suffering physical or emotional injury."

Another policy change at Mass General Brigham means that medical professionals will now conduct toxicology tests on newborns and/or "pregnant people" — sometimes referred to as women — only under two conditions. First, hospital workers must be given written consent to perform the tests. Second, they will perform the tests only if the results will affect the medical treatment the mother and/or child receives.

These new policies are part of Mass General Brigham's larger "United Against Racism effort" to fix policies that "may unwittingly perpetuate structural racism."

"Our new perinatal testing and reporting policy is the latest step in our efforts to address longstanding inequities in substance use disorder care and to provide compassionate, evidence-based support to families, while addressing substance use disorder as a treatable health condition," said Sarah Wakeman, M.D., senior medical director for Substance Use Disorder at Mass General Brigham.

Wakeman claimed that some women may stop seeking treatment for addiction if they believe they may lose custody of their children after birth. She also claimed that substance abuse alone does not mean that pregnant women will abuse or neglect their children after they're born.

Mass General Brigham is not the only medical organization that wants fewer babies born addicted to drugs to be taken away from drug-addicted mothers. It is following in the footsteps of Boston Medical Center as well as the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Society of Addiction Medicine, which have all taken a similar approach regarding drug-addicted babies.

"This policy reflects an emerging consensus, based on sound science, that is being embraced by our peer institutions and was developed in coordination with a wide range of partners," Wakeman asserted.

Allison Bryant, M.D., MPH, associate chief health equity officer at Mass General Brigham, claimed that this new policy will help those in the medical industry "turn our lens inward to understand our own contributions to stigma and inequity and strive to fix them."

Wakeman agreed. "It takes a multi-pronged approach to eliminate racial inequities and drop barriers to treatment," she said.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/concer...icted-to-drugs
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Today @ 05:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    I hope your Mother is cancer free soon.

My Dad's good friend had stage 4 lung cancer around a decade ago. He survived it and is doing well now.

My Aunt also survived cancer and is doing well.

So there are some great doctors in Ontario.
    Thanks, buddy. Really glad about the survival stories you listed. Stuff like that makes me feel good (and not just to do with how it relates to my mom's prospects).

It sure seems like cancer is a little less the death sentence in so many cases than it used to be as technology and the science of health care seems to improve, doesn't it?

And you're right: there are certainly some absolutely excellent doctors (and surgeons) in Ontario!
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

6. YankeeRose Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Today @ 08:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Florida removes 1.4 million off Medicaid program. Florida is the state who won't insure anything. With Obamacare why do we still need Medicaid ?

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-rem...rogram-1889948

Sent from my TMRV065G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by edwardv; 04.14.24 at 01:50 PM.
    10-6-2020 RIP King of sixstrings.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 09:54 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

I really don't know the answer, because Medicare and Medicaid suck, and we spend a shitpot of money on them.

Not trying to pass the buck, I literally don't know what the answer is, and from the proposals I have heard, no one else does either.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Wouldn't surprise me at all if gangsters are behind both. Tony Soprano LLC. Bloods Medicare Supplement.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    My mom was just diagnosed a few weeks ago with pancreatic cancer. It's really knocked my family on our asses emotionally.

The thing is, my folks live in Canada (I live in Chicago but I grew up outside Toronto).

The good news is: they found her pancreatic cancer by accident...looking for something else and they just stumbled upon it. Her prognosis is pretty good. They found it relatively early. (Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst to get...but it's not always a death sentence.)

They're going to remove the tumor on her pancreas, which is (thankfully) only in one section and not all over her pancreas. Also (our fingers are crossed), doctors are 90% sure it has not spread anywhere else. But...after the surgery, they're going to give her chemo (I guess as a sort of back-up attack...making sure cancer cells are not allowed to develop elsewhere in her body).

BUT...I know both the American and the Canadian systems. Both systems are fucked. Yes, it'll be great that my parents (living in Canada) won't be spending six-figure numbers to get her through this. BUT at the same time, it being Canada, they should have already done the surgery by this point. But...instead she has to wait (hopefully, they'll do the surgery before the month is out).

I hate both systems, frankly.
    I’m 44 and they found prostate cancer in me by accident as well. They caught it super early so I am doing quite well. But as a whole, the whole ordeal showed cracks in our healthcare system to me. By that I mean the amount of doctors and surgeons I had to see just to get the ball rolling. Not to mention the money involved in it. Luckily, I’m free of it for now but as with any cancer it could come back. I have to get checked once a year and I always have that fear in the back of my mind that this could be the thing that kills me. But I just try and stay in the now.

Sorry to hear about your mom bro. Pancreatic cancer isn’t the death sentence it was 10 years ago. And I hope and pray that she makes a speedy and full recovery.

I’ll ask the big man to look out for you and yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Fudd my father died of prostate cancer and I have kidney cancer just up the urethra. My urologist told me to take a supplement called prostate 2.4 by Theralogix. It's formulated by urologists. It's not cheap. Ask your urologist or eat lots of tomato paste because lycopene is the key ingredient.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/unitedh...ck-ransomware/

UnitedHealth says Change Healthcare cyberattack cost it $872 million

And who pays for their negligence? You got it the members .

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Delete wrong thread
    Last edited by edwardv; 04.17.24 at 11:01 AM.