POLITICAL BLOTTER - Page 1239
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  5,577
Page 1239 of 1244 FirstFirst ... 2397391139118912291236123712381239124012411242 ... LastLast
Results 18,571 to 18,585 of 18658
    Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Elite Daily Poster25,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Considering some of the comments Alito made at the immunity hearing, I am in no way shocked ol’ Sammy was flying a “Stop The Steal” upside down flag at his home after January 6th in 2021.

While it was flying, the court was mulling hearing a 2020 election case (they didn’t; Alito wanted to but was in the minority).

Alito says his wife did it in response to a neighbor’s sign (which apparently was anti-Trump) that they found “objectionable and personally insulting.” Crucially, he doesn’t deny what it meant at the time—stop the steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Elite Daily Poster25,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Alito spoke to Fox News. He's is giving more details from his point of view.

Not sure it actually makes him or his wife look any better. There's more than one "Fuck Trump" and "Fuck Biden" flag in my surrounding neighborhood and it hasn't devolved the way he explans it. It does seem like this is a neighborhood I wouldn't want to live in.

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 06:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

wrongthread
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    This was outstanding. Talk about being in over your head

Pelosi rebuked to her face during Oxford debate after condemning Americans clouded by 'guns, gays, God'

Pelosi suggested Americans refuse to listen to Democrats about certain issues due to their beliefs about 'guns, gays, [and] God'

May 11, 2024 2:23pm EDT

Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., was rebuked as an "elite" during a recent Oxford Union debate, where she argued that populism in the United States is a threat to democracy.

Pelosi — a self-described "devout" Catholic — said during the April 25 debate that certain Americans, whom she considered to be "poor souls who are looking for some answers," refuse to accept the answers Democrats give them on particular topics due to their beliefs about "guns, gays, [and] God."

Challenging Pelosi's position in the debate about populism, Winston Marshall, a musician who was once a part of Mumford and Sons and now hosts the "Marshall Matters" podcast for The Spectator, spoke in opposition to the Oxford Union motion that "This House Believes Populism is a Threat to Democracy."

The Oxford Union at the UK's famed university holds itself as a defender of free speech, and has hosted events with numerous U.S. politicians in the past, including former Republican House Speakers Newt Gingrich and Kevin McCarthy.

Marshall argued at the April 25 debate that the meaning of the word "populist" has been changed by "elites [who] have failed" to align with their own narrative.

"'Populism' has become a word used synonymously with ‘racist.’ We've heard ‘ethno-nationalist,’ we have ‘bigot,’ we have ‘hillbilly,’ ‘redneck,’ we have ‘deplorable,’" Marshall said. Pelosi had argued in her remarks that contemporary American populism currently had an ethno-nationalist character.

"Elites use it to show their contempt for ordinary people," Marshall said.

Marshall argued that the change in meaning of the word "populist" is "a recent change," and pointed to a 2016 speech delivered by then-President Barack Obama, who he said "took umbrage with the notion that Trump be called a populist."

"If anything, Obama argued that he was the populist. If anything, Obama argued that Bernie was the populist," he said. "Something curious happens. If you watch Obama's speeches after that point, more and more recently, he uses the word ‘populist’ interchangeably with ‘strong man,’ ‘authoritarian.' The word changes meaning. It becomes a negative, a pejorative, a slur."

Pelosi bristles at the comparison between January 6 and the Portland BLM riots

Highlighting the Capitol riots on January 6, 2021, which he believed to be "a dark day for America, indeed," Marshall said: "I'm sure Congresswoman Pelosi will agree that the entire month of June 2020, when the federal courthouse in Portland, Oregon, was under siege and under insurrection by radical progressives, those, too, were dark days for America."

At that point, Pelosi raised her hand and said: "There is no equivalence there. . . . It is not like what happened on January 6th, which was an insurrection incited by the President of the United States."

"My point, though, is that all political movements are susceptible to violence and, indeed, insurrection," Marshall said. "Populism is not a threat to democracy. Populism is democracy. And why else have universal suffrage if not to keep elites in check?"

Marshall said he was "rather surprised" that Pelosi was arguing in favor of the motion as he thought "the left was supposed to be anti-elite" and that the "left was supposed to be anti-establishment."

"Today, particularly in America, the globalist left have become the establishment," he continued. "I suppose for Mrs. Pelosi to have taken this side of the argument, she'd be arguing herself out of a job.

Marshall went on to claim that "populism is the voice of the voiceless" and that the "real threat to democracy is from the elites."

"Now, don't get me wrong, we need elites. If President Biden has shown us anything, we need someone to run the countries," he said. "When the president has severe dementia, it's not just America that crumbles, the whole world burns."

Marshal shifted his focus to examining the elites, saying he believes that Trump should have accepted the results of the 2020 presidential election.

"So should Hillary in 2016, so should Brussels and Westminster in 2016, and so, too, should Congresswoman Pelosi instead of saying the 2016 election was, quote, ‘hijacked.’"

"It was," Pelosi interjected, drawing laughter from those in attendance.

"That doesn't mean we don't accept the results of it," she added.

During his speech in opposition of the motion, Marshall also took aim at the social media companies that suspended Trump from their platforms following the January 6 Capitol protests and the mainstream media.

"Mainstream media elites are part of a class who don't just disdain populism, they disdain the people. If Democrats had put half their energy in delivering for the people, Trump wouldn't even have a chance in 2024 … you've had power for four years. From the fabricated Steele Dossier, to trying to take him off the ballot in both Maine and Colorado, the Democrats are the anti-Democrat party," he said.

"Populism is not a threat to democracy. But I'll tell you what is: It's elites ordering social media to censor political opponents," Marshall said. ". . . It's Brussels, D.C., Westiminster, mainstream media, big tech, big Pharma, corporate collusion and the Davos cronies."

Delivering remarks prior to Marshall, Pelosi said, "Democracy is the rule of law, democracy is free and fair elections, democracy is about independent judiciary, it's about freedom of the press to have transparency and to have accountability of elected officials to the people."

"It's about all of that, and that is everything that the populist regime in Washington, D.C., is against," she added. "Ethno-nationalistic populism, as is the threat to democracy, is about threatening what they call elites, a free press," she said. "It's about fighting issues that relate to free and fair elections, where we have voter suppression to the nth degree under this regime and its resistance to passing the Voting Rights Act, the John Lewis Act, all of that."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

At one point, while speaking about those who may consider themselves a part of the populist movement and/or are "poor souls who are looking for some answers," Pelosi said, "We've given them to them, but they're blocked by some of their views on guns – they have the three Gs, guns, gays, God, that would be a woman's right to choose — and the cultural issues cloud some of their reception of an argument that really is in their interest."

The motion debated by Marshall and Pelosi ultimately received a passing vote from those attending the Oxford Union event, 177 to 68.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pel...-guns-gays-god

Ex Mumford & Sons guitarist Winston Marshall joins Piers Morgan as a transformed man. He left the band in 2021 after lauding a book that criticised Antifa, and has since become a podcaster, a Spectator contributor and debated former US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi just this past month. The rowdy debate gained traction online for Marshall’s fiery criticism of the politician that at some points, seemed to leave her speechless. Piers and Winston talk about his time in the band, and also what’s next for the self-described ‘culture warrior’.

Pelosi mouthing "Who are you?" and "Why are you dong this?" is interesting.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Populism today is increasingly authoritarian on both the left (Bernie Sanders) and the right (Donald Trump). It's also antipluralist. Representing "the people" doesn't include all the people. It excludes enemies, some combination of "others." It could be the elite, media, foreigners, "Big _______" corporations, even simply Americans they don't agree with. As Donald Trump said when he ran for President, ""The only important thing is the unification of the people, because the other people don't mean anything."

It isn't the will of the people, it's the will of real people. Other opinions don't matter. They seek power in a democratic system, but when it comes to check on their power by other branches, they bristle. Control must be asserted on society, and the leader of the real people shouldn't be impeded when doing so.

We know the Bernie Sanders version of this. But the right wing version of this is, if you're a private company and want to choose to give your employees diversity training, not in Florida. You want to choose to send your kid to a high school where they might read something that recognizes gay people exist, not in Florida. If you want to choose to eat meat from a cell culture for environmental reasons, not in Florida.

The real people have made the correct choice for you.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 05.17.24 at 01:40 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Populism today is increasingly authoritarian on both the left (Bernie Sanders) and the right (Donald Trump). It's also antipluralist. Representing "the people" doesn't include all the people. It excludes enemies, some combination of "others." It could be the elite, media, foreigners, "Big _______" corporations, even simply Americans they don't agree with. As Donald Trump said when he ran for President, ""The only important thing is the unification of the people, because the other people don't mean anything."

It isn't the will of the people, it's the will of real people. Other opinions don't matter. They seek power in a democratic system, but when it comes to check on their power by other branches, they bristle. Control must be asserted on society, and the leader of the real people shouldn't be impeded when doing so.

We know the Bernie Sanders version of this. But the right wing version of this is, if you're a private company and want to choose to give your employees diversity training, not in Florida. You want to choose to send your kid to a high school where they might read something that recognizes gay people exist, not in Florida. If you want to choose to eat meat from a cell culture for environmental reasons, not in Florida.

The real people have made the correct choice for you.
    Bro, Florida has a lot of shit right. I don’t say that lightly.

I’ve been there 3 times in a month and they’re doing a lot right. So you can use it as a butt of a joke if you like, but the state you live in is as fucked up politically as a football bat.

7. CaboChris, bklynboy68 Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post

I’ve been there 3 times in a month and they’re doing a lot right. So you can use it as a butt of a joke if you like, but the state you live in is as fucked up politically as a football bat.

That's neither here, nor there, and it's your perspective. Newsom might be an authoritarian, but he's not a populist. I am also no fan of his.

I am not even saying DeSantis is doing everything wrong. He's not.

For a lot of people, living under an authoritarian is a breeze as long as you agree with the rules they are making.

The point is that the rise in authoritarian populism is both a left and right wing problem. The leftist populists don't mind the rules Bernie Sanders would implement. You would. The rightwing populists like the rules DeSantis is putting in place. Others disagree. (And it turns out if you DO disagree with DeSantis in Florida, he will come after you, using the power of his office.)

Taking choices away by decree is not a friend of democracy.

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post

Bro, we know why he has a hard-on for Florida. It's a Pfizer approved one too.

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 05:02 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Bro, we know why he has a hard-on for Florida. It's a Pfizer approved one too.
    That's the problem, you can't point to his hard-on without pointing the finger back to your hard-on

Your hard-on only matters when your team has the hard-on.

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    That's the problem, you can't point to his hard-on point without pointing the finger back to your hard-on

Your hard-on only matters when your team has the hard-on.
    Is that a sword fight?

12. Number 47 Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Again, no one needs me to list how Newsom wields authority. But DeSantis is a perfect example of a right wing authoritarian populist. No one state is all bad or all good but it’s just true DeSantis has his own version of limiting freedom to support “real people” and get back at the “elites” using government power, not all that dissimilar from Sanders. I even listed a few recent examples. There’s a reason why, instead of refuting those ideas or points made, the responses are about me instead.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Again, no one needs me to list how Newsom wields authority. But DeSantis is a perfect example of a right wing authoritarian populist. No one state is all bad or all good but it’s just true DeSantis has his own version of limiting freedom to support “real people” and get back at the “elites” using government power, not all that dissimilar from Sanders. I even listed a few recent examples. There’s a reason why, instead of refuting those ideas or points made, the responses are about me instead.

Gavin newsome is only governor because of the southern part of that state. Most of the state doesn’t even want him.

It’s not a fair comparison.

I get what you are saying but it’s getting a little lost.

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

The post that got him started had nothing to do with DeSantis or Florida. In fact, it’s a hell of a lot more interesting than this bizarre Newsom Vs DeSantis argument it turned into.

Oh well, back to my totalitarian life under Dictator DeSantis. First he turned us into The Walking Dead with his Covid response, now we get daily lashes before breakfast.

How will we make it?

16. ziggysmalls Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 12:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

From an outside perspective it sure seems that Florida has their shit together. Outside of the typical "Florida man...."

There is more to governing than Disney

18. bklynboy68, Number 47 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.06.24 @ 04:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

Ex Mumford & Sons guitarist Winston Marshall joins Piers Morgan as a transformed man. He left the band in 2021 after lauding a book that criticised Antifa, and has since become a podcaster, a Spectator contributor and debated former US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi just this past month. The rowdy debate gained traction online for Marshall’s fiery criticism of the politician that at some points, seemed to leave her speechless. Piers and Winston talk about his time in the band, and also what’s next for the self-described ‘culture warrior’.

Pelosi mouthing "Who are you?" and "Why are you dong this?" is interesting.
    Pelosi is a brainlet. This has been known forever.

These are the people that were telling everyone to stay at home a few years ago or they would kill grandma. At the same time, what did they do? Go get their hair done, play golf and hang out their elite buddies at parties. In groups.