POLITICAL BLOTTER - Page 891
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  3,554
Page 891 of 960 FirstFirst ... 391791841881888889890891892893894901941 ... LastLast
Results 13,351 to 13,365 of 14400
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Saudi Leader MBS Helped Broker Brittney Griner Swap After White House Ended Khashoggi Suiit

Greg Wilson Dec 8, 2022

Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman helped broker the dramatic prisoner swap between the U.S. and Moscow that sprang WNBA star Brittney Griner from a Russian gulag, days after the Biden administration helped spike a lawsuit against the Saudi ruler.

MBS, as the Saudi leader is known, and United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed “led mediation efforts” between the two nations whose diplomatic ties have been badly frayed by the war in Ukraine, according to Arab News. Griner was traded for Viktor Bout, a Russian arms dealer who plotted to help South American terrorists attack the U.S.

“The ministries said the success of the mediation efforts was a reflection of the mutual and solid friendship between their two countries and the United States and Russia,” read a joint statement from Saudi Arabia and the UAE. “They also highlighted the important role played by the leaderships of the two brotherly countries in promoting dialogue between all parties.”

President Joe Biden did not mention details of the negotiation in a Thursday morning announcement of the swap in which he condemned Russia’s handling of Griner, who was arrested February 17 after being caught with marijuana vaping materials at a Moscow airport.

“[Griner] endured mistreatment at a show trial in Russia with characteristic grit and incredible dignity. She represents the best America – the best about America,” Biden said from the White House, where he was joined by Griner’s wife, Cherelle Griner.

U.S. officials did not directly confirm the role of MBS in securing Griner’s release

“In the course of getting to this happy result with respect to Brittney, and in the course of working to secure the release of Paul, as we continue to do, we have and I’m sure we’ll continue to lean on partners around the world to work this through with us, to give us their ideas, and to impress upon the Russians how important it is to us to resolve these sorts of cases,” a senior administration official told The Associated Press. “And we appreciate when those partners do help us. And I’ll leave it there.”

Relations between Saudi Arabia and Biden administration have been strained, but Biden last week said MBS could not be sued in U.S. courts for his alleged role in ordering the 2018 murder and dismemberment inside a Turkish consulate of Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and ardent critic of the Saudi ruler. Khashoggi’s widow had sued MBS in Washington, D.C., federal court.

“Mohammed bin Salmon, the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, is the sitting head of government and, accordingly, is immune from this suit,” read a motion filed last week by the Department of Justice.

District of Columbia District Judge John Bates said on Tuesday that he had no choice but to dismiss the case despite what he said were “credible allegations of his involvement in Khashoggi’s murder.”

It was not known if the Biden administration’s move to shield MBS affected the Saudi leader’s role in brokering the prisoner swap.

The U.S. had hoped to win the release of Paul Whelan, a Michigan man and former Marine jailed in Russia since December 2018 on espionage charges that the U.S. government said are baseless. But the deal set to be announced on Thursday was a one-for-one, sources said.

Whelan’s brother, David Welan, said in a statement that his family is “glad that Brittney Griner is on her way home,” but said the family remains heartbroken that Paul Whelan remains imprisoned.

“Despite the possibility that there might be an exchange without Paul, our family is still devastated,” David Whelan said. “I can’t even fathom how Paul will feel when he learns. Paul has worked so hard to survive nearly 4 years of this injustice. His hopes had soared with the knowledge that the US government was taking concrete steps for once towards his release. He’d been worrying about where he’d live when he got back to the U.S.”

Bout, a Russian national with ties to President Vladimir Putin, was arrested on terrorism charges in 2008 by Thai police working with U.S. authorities and Interpol. He was extradited to the U.S. in 2010 and later convicted in Manhattan federal court of smuggling arms including anti-aircraft missiles to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) for use against U.S. forces. He was serving a minimum of 25 years in prison at the federal penitentiary in Marion, Illinois.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/saudi...gi-suit-report
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Unless Russia planted the substance on her which based on everything I have read isn't the case, she is a freaking idiot to try to smuggle anything into a country who's leader is off our Christmas card list.

She went there for employment. On a business trip. Make sure you have your i's dotted and your T's crossed. Especially when being a "high profile" figure. Oh and you are gay and going into a country that isn't too fond of alternative lifestyles. Its like me being a Christian going into Iran or North Korea. I likely should ensure I don't trigger anything. Then to top it off you are African American, very tall for a woman, etc. You will stick out and are easy to target

She could have smuggled in a nanogram of pot. Its against their laws. Putin, Boris, Natasha, etc are all not citizens of the United States, Netherlands, Germany, Colorado, California, etc. They have their own laws whether we like them or not. Woman can't drive in some countries and its their laws.

She is an idiot. The president is an idiot for trading her for a convicted arms dealer. That's really about it. I feel sorry that her parents, friends and wife had to deal with it and am glad she is home but not at the expense of making our world less safe.
    If this was a good Hollywood summer blockbuster, the POTUS would have said keep them both then... and shot the arms dealer in the head. Your move.

I'm just glad someone came home. Politics.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:32 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Sure, I am not saying she bears no responsibility.

But let's say she brushed up on Russian law. She'd be facing a fine and likely no jail time.

I think it is easy in hindsight to say, 'She should have known she could be a political pawn,' which I know you aren't really saying, but all you have to do is look at that woman a few years ago where 19 grams got a $200+ fine and one month in jail, and I think it is easy to never in your wildest dreams, especially as someone paid a lot of money to entertain people there, think that they'd basically throw out their laws and give you 9 years.
    You keep saying this like it matters.

Laws in Russia don't matter man, the punishment is what they want it to be, for the crime that they drum up. They used her a chip to get back Bout, it is really that simple. She travelled with marijuana into an authoritarian country, she should have known better, I don't care if it was 0.1 grams.

It is her fault that Viktor Bout is a free man, she let the Russian government use her to get that guy out.

Again, I have empathy for her, and I am glad she is out, but that doesn't remove her from responsibility or limit that she was fucking stupid.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

4. MD 5150, bklynboy68, ziggysmalls Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Default About that senate majority….

Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema leaves Democratic Party, registers as independent

Kyrsten Sinema won't say whether she will caucus with Democrats

December 9, 2022

Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema has left the Democratic Party and registered as an independent.

Sinema made the announcement Friday by publishing an op-ed in the Arizona Republic.

The senator cited increasingly partisan interests and radicalization of both political parties as the reason for her departure.

"Americans are told that we have only two choices – Democrat or Republican – and that we must subscribe wholesale to policy views the parties hold, views that have been pulled further and further toward the extremes," Synema wrote in the op-ed.

"Most Arizonans believe this is a false choice, and when I ran for the U.S. House and the Senate, I promised Arizonans something different," she continued. "I pledged to be independent and work with anyone to achieve lasting results. I committed I would not demonize people I disagreed with, engage in name-calling, or get distracted by political drama."

Sinema went on to accuse mainstream political parties in the U.S. of worrying more about blocking each other out than the well-being of their constituents.

"When politicians are more focused on denying the opposition party a victory than they are on improving Americans’ lives, the people who lose are everyday Americans.," Sinema wrote in the op-ed.

She added, "That’s why I have joined the growing numbers of Arizonans who reject party politics by declaring my independence from the broken partisan system in Washington. I registered as an Arizona independent. "

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ari...rs-independent

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

6. edwardv, MD 5150 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

Diversity in elected government is good

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
    10-6-2020 RIP King of sixstrings.

8. MD 5150 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable5,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

I didn't come up with this but think about it.

Swapping a WNBA player for a convicted arms dealer is the end result of 10 months of negotiating by our State Department. The best deal we were able to make was this.

Bravo Mr Biden. Bravo.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I didn't come up with this but think about it.

Swapping a WNBA player for a convicted arms dealer is the end result of 10 months of negotiating by our State Department. The best deal we were able to make was this.

Bravo Mr Biden. Bravo.
    No shit. I’d hate to see his mortgage and car payments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

Laws in Russia don't matter man, the punishment is what they want it to be, for the crime that they drum up. They used her a chip to get back Bout, it is really that simple. She travelled with marijuana into an authoritarian country, she should have known better, I don't care if it was 0.1 grams.

It is her fault that Viktor Bout is a free man, she let the Russian government use her to get that guy out.

Again, I have empathy for her, and I am glad she is out, but that doesn't remove her from responsibility or limit that she was fucking stupid.
    I'm excited to see how she parlays this experience into the new face of discrimination: (You're gonna need a check list for this one.)

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

America loves pot smokin anti American basketball players. What's one more Russian arms dealer selling to Somalia or Venezuela?

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
    10-6-2020 RIP King of sixstrings.

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster25,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

Default POLITICAL BLOTTER

I never said she bears no responsibility.

I’m pointing out that “don’t break the law” isn’t as simple as some suggest. As you point out, that doesn’t matter in an authoritarian country.

Putting zero blame on the authoritarian country using an American citizen as a pawn over something that’s an administrative issue over there, not a criminal one, is what I have a problem with.

What if they’d killed her, like North Korea and Otto Warmbier? Do we just say, ‘Welp, you broke their laws?’ It matters what kind of law breaking we’re talking about versus how they convict her versus the punishment.

The reason our state department called this a wrongful detainment has to to do with Russia, not just Griner.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t recognize that what they take into a country like that is something they should pay close attention to. But saying she should have to rot there because Russia decided to invent themselves a trade chip is crazy.

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Elite Daily PosterMaster PraiserRookie25,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-Liked
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum Rookie-Of-The-Year

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema leaves Democratic Party, registers as independent

Kyrsten Sinema won't say whether she will caucus with Democrats

December 9, 2022
    And there is already talk about a "stronger" Democrat running against her in 2024.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I never said she bears no responsibility.

I’m pointing out that “don’t break the law” isn’t as simple as some suggest. As you point out, that doesn’t matter in an authoritarian country.

Putting zero blame on the authoritarian country using an American citizen as a pawn over something that’s an administrative issue over there, not a criminal one, is what I have a problem with.

What if they’d killed her, like North Korea and Otto Warmbier? Do we just say, ‘Welp, you broke their laws?’ It matters what kind of law breaking we’re talking about versus how they convict her versus the punishment.

The reason our state department called this a wrongful detainment has to to do with Russia, not just Griner.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t recognize that what they take into a country like that is something they should pay close attention to. But saying she should have to rot there because Russia decided to invent themselves a trade chip is crazy.

Reminds me of the story of the scorpion and frog, we all know it.

Don't go to Russia, have Russia act like Russia, and then tell me it is Russia's fault.

And I never said she should rot there, but trading her for fucking Viktor Bout? Hell no.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

16. MD 5150 Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by MD 5150 View Post
    And there is already talk about a "stronger" Democrat running against her in 2024.
    Stronger meaning radical left winger.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Stronger meaning radical left winger.
    She knows she probably has a better chance running as an Independent and skipping the very likely possibility of being primaried by her own party. Pretty smart politically.

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

She knows she probably has a better chance running as an Independent and skipping the very likely possibility of being primaried by her own party. Pretty smart politically.
    Absolutely. But you know any Democrat running against her will be much further to the left than she is.