Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    How well is pure opposition working? Renaming Lincoln schools, all the bad about Obamacare still in place, $15 minimum wage on the way, gun control legislation coming, we're back in the Paris agreement, and I could go on.

Republicans could try a different tactic of, I don't know, actually having a plan to start nudging things in their direction as opposed to the plan of "No."
    I know you know but the script was flipped in 2016 and the Democrats were the ones lamenting all of the "extreme" GOP policies. This isn't an issue related to the GOP's tactics, it's the nature of the two party system.
    RIP EVH 1955-2020

Hang 'Em High

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

04.15.21 @ 05:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    I know you know but the script was flipped in 2016 and the Democrats were the ones lamenting all of the "extreme" GOP policies. This isn't an issue related to the GOP's tactics, it's the nature of the two party system.
    The left hold too much power in the media and other area's for the compromise with the left to nudge things back in your direction to work.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

"See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel." - Economist Milton Friedman (1991)

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 01:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster

Yes, but this started off as me explaining why I specifically target the Republicans as a libertarian. Neither party is perfect for me, but the Republicans, now that they have dropped some of the social issues (sort of) should be where I wouldn't feel uncomfortable casting a vote, as opposed to the left.

I suppose this is a lament of formerly feeling I had somewhat of a voice in at least one of the two parties. But the Republicans have abandoned small government, civil liberties and, it seems, at times, even ideas themselves. At one time these were ideals we shared, but the Republican Party, especially one in Trump's image, which seems to be the direction, is increasingly hostile to its former heart, as Reagan said. And thus that leaves me with very little in either party to hang my hat on.

It would be so simple to just have repealed Obamacare and implemented two fixes--buying insurance across state lines and ending incentives for employers to provide insurance as a work-related benefit. Put that money in the hands of employees to buy insurance and increase competition amongst insurance companies.

It would be so simple to suggest little fixes that lower the temperatures now for cheap (that's good) while letting renewable tech catch up (also good!) and not wasting trillions in Paris (that's good!)

Same goes for minimum wage.

And if the Democrats don't go for it, well, then at least you can say you tried to compromise and now they want to pass extreme measures that half the country doesn't believe in.

I do get that this all comes down to their control of the ballot, but this is just my perspective as someone who is seeing no movement towards less government/less spending/more liberty and typically movement in the other direction, while the one party who at least ostensibly claims to believe those things seems uninterested in moving the needle the other way.

4. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 01:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

I equally dislike both parties over the long run. One noses ahead of the other in the shitty political party department from one day to the next, but in the long haul, they are both dreadful.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 01:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I equally dislike both parties over the long run. One noses ahead of the other in the shitty political party department from one day to the next, but in the long haul, they are both dreadful.
    Exactly. A very easy conclusion to make, especially in recent years. I don't understand how anyone who subscribes to either party can be proud.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 01:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

The problem is what I call the Bruce Springsteen effect. I respect Bruce but never cared for his music. Especially in the 80's. However Bruce would release a song and radio would simply just blast it non stop for 24 7. You couldn't escape it. Thus it grew on you. It influenced you. You may actually come around liking it or at least accepting it. This happens today. Even if you live in a silo or echo chamber everything is being put out to you. I know people will say "wait there is no liberal media. CNN Is center right ..see here is this graph that shows it. ITS PROOF"

Hell no. You are blasted 24 7 with likely left leaning media. Some of it is direct like MSNBC but look at your shows and compare them to lets say Friends. Remember how "ghey" Will and Grace was? Shit it looks like the Andy Grifftih show compared to what is on regular TV today. That's the other effect. Entertainment. Go to Netflix, Prime, TV, Etc and look at what is in now every movie or show. Compare it back to the day. There are indirect influencers going on in there. I love The Boys but shit this last season was about the bad right and how they are Nazi's Now I know this. I just chalk it up and maybe I do give pause but I can see this. Others? Nope. They get influenced over time and now they think that given 3 year olds talks on gender assignment as normal

Plus you have the school systems. You don't think they present a certain argument? They are with your kids more than yourselves. Where do any new ideas come from? Schools. I remember getting paddled but then school said "corporal punishment is bad. Time outs good" Then that was pushed onto parenting. Walking home was normal. Then it was dangerous. Pushed onto parents. Everything starts in the schools and that includes Helicoptering and protecting our kids from anything bad. It all started in the school system and then when a parent doesn't go along with the plan, they are shamed.

So you now have added two generations of this thinking into the world. They are going to be far more responsive to certain ideas. Look here. Who are viewed as uncaring people here? Likely older guys like myself. Who are usually at odds with us old farts? Younger people. They don't know anything else so obviously an argument to their idea is going to be viewed a certain just like me viewing 120 gender titles as a bit off.

Yes the GOP needs to do a better job but they simply can't compete with what is out there. Its like me yelling at the TV scream don't go into that room. It won't be heard

8. bsbll4, MD 5150, Judgement Day Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Today @ 01:06 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

RIP EVH 1955-2020

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Yes, but this started off as me explaining why I specifically target the Republicans as a libertarian. Neither party is perfect for me, but the Republicans, now that they have dropped some of the social issues (sort of) should be where I wouldn't feel uncomfortable casting a vote, as opposed to the left.

I suppose this is a lament of formerly feeling I had somewhat of a voice in at least one of the two parties. But the Republicans have abandoned small government, civil liberties and, it seems, at times, even ideas themselves. At one time these were ideals we shared, but the Republican Party, especially one in Trump's image, which seems to be the direction, is increasingly hostile to its former heart, as Reagan said. And thus that leaves me with very little in either party to hang my hat on.

It would be so simple to just have repealed Obamacare and implemented two fixes--buying insurance across state lines and ending incentives for employers to provide insurance as a work-related benefit. Put that money in the hands of employees to buy insurance and increase competition amongst insurance companies.

It would be so simple to suggest little fixes that lower the temperatures now for cheap (that's good) while letting renewable tech catch up (also good!) and not wasting trillions in Paris (that's good!)

Same goes for minimum wage.

And if the Democrats don't go for it, well, then at least you can say you tried to compromise and now they want to pass extreme measures that half the country doesn't believe in.

I do get that this all comes down to their control of the ballot, but this is just my perspective as someone who is seeing no movement towards less government/less spending/more liberty and typically movement in the other direction, while the one party who at least ostensibly claims to believe those things seems uninterested in moving the needle the other way.
    So your plan is to trust health insurance companies? Hell no.
    Little Dreamer

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    So your plan is to trust health insurance companies? Hell no.
    So your plan is to trust the government? Hell no.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    The problem is what I call the Bruce Springsteen effect. I respect Bruce but never cared for his music. Especially in the 80's. However Bruce would release a song and radio would simply just blast it non stop for 24 7. You couldn't escape it. Thus it grew on you. It influenced you. You may actually come around liking it or at least accepting it. This happens today. Even if you live in a silo or echo chamber everything is being put out to you. I know people will say "wait there is no liberal media. CNN Is center right ..see here is this graph that shows it. ITS PROOF"

Hell no. You are blasted 24 7 with likely left leaning media. Some of it is direct like MSNBC but look at your shows and compare them to lets say Friends. Remember how "ghey" Will and Grace was? Shit it looks like the Andy Grifftih show compared to what is on regular TV today. That's the other effect. Entertainment. Go to Netflix, Prime, TV, Etc and look at what is in now every movie or show. Compare it back to the day. There are indirect influencers going on in there. I love The Boys but shit this last season was about the bad right and how they are Nazi's Now I know this. I just chalk it up and maybe I do give pause but I can see this. Others? Nope. They get influenced over time and now they think that given 3 year olds talks on gender assignment as normal

Plus you have the school systems. You don't think they present a certain argument? They are with your kids more than yourselves. Where do any new ideas come from? Schools. I remember getting paddled but then school said "corporal punishment is bad. Time outs good" Then that was pushed onto parenting. Walking home was normal. Then it was dangerous. Pushed onto parents. Everything starts in the schools and that includes Helicoptering and protecting our kids from anything bad. It all started in the school system and then when a parent doesn't go along with the plan, they are shamed.

So you now have added two generations of this thinking into the world. They are going to be far more responsive to certain ideas. Look here. Who are viewed as uncaring people here? Likely older guys like myself. Who are usually at odds with us old farts? Younger people. They don't know anything else so obviously an argument to their idea is going to be viewed a certain just like me viewing 120 gender titles as a bit off.

Yes the GOP needs to do a better job but they simply can't compete with what is out there. Its like me yelling at the TV scream don't go into that room. It won't be heard
    Dude, did you watch the Boys until the last episode? Because in the last episode of season 2, their "AOC" type woman turns out to be a murderer and an arch-villain! So
    The Boys has really gone after BOTH left and right. I'm not even seeing the Nazi narrative really tied to the GOP or republicans, there is a neo-nazi villain but she's not tied to a party. The corporation owning the supes is the one that takes the most heat.
    Little Dreamer

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 01:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Anybody in the country who is beating their chests saying they got it RIGHT while over half a million people in the country have died, is just fucking disgusting.

Florida got nothing RIGHT.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

14. VH1986 Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Today @ 01:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!200,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Anybody in the country who is beating their chests saying they got it RIGHT while over half a million people in the country have died, is just fucking disgusting.

Florida got nothing RIGHT.
    I think his point is that he was able to keep the economy more than most and still have a death rate lower than the national average. He's not wrong. I think he's a douche but they've handled Covid better than most.

Big Bad Bill
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning=Dave 5150=Sammy
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained or Summer Nights
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:06 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingWell-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think his point is that he was able to keep the economy more than most and still have a death rate lower than the national average. He's not wrong. I think he's a douche but they've handled Covid better than most.
    He did a great job considering the huge elderly population in Fl. I live here most of the time now about 10 miles from The Villages a huge retirement community and there has not been one story on the news of overflowing hospitals or freezer trailers for bodies.

He believes in liberty and that people have free will. People can make their own choices. That is what this country is about not a nanny state that takes care of you from cradle to grave. I like him and have listened to him on tv many times. Lock downs obviously don’t work people just end up getting in trouble for gathering.As a side note I have not gathered in large groups but we have eaten in restaurants but there is six customers in the business 40 ft apart most of the time. We just don’t go to crowded places.

Again people have a choice to make and they live with their decision, it is called America.

17. Bad to the Bone Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 01:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Dude, did you watch the Boys until the last episode? Because in the last episode of season 2, their "AOC" type woman turns out to be a murderer and an arch-villain! So
    The Boys has really gone after BOTH left and right. I'm not even seeing the Nazi narrative really tied to the GOP or republicans, there is a neo-nazi villain but she's not tied to a party. The corporation owning the supes is the one that takes the most heat.
    Yes I did watch the entire series and I was referring to the Nazi woman, her followers, etc were all symbolic of the current GOP and Trump. It was painfully obvious. That congresswoman who now will be a villian was given about 5 minutes of being a villian so an entire 2nd season vs 5 minutes to me doesn't seem balanced against right and left.

Maybe in season 3 they will show the AOC woman to be tied in with the far left to balance it out but if you look at it as a whole, Homelander panders to the religious right. Is about patriotism. He has GOP litmus tests . The Nazi also was posturing to those people and using social media to sow disinformation a la Trump. Then at the end AOC shows up and balances it all out. I am sorry but I don't think so. Now if season 3 shifts, then I can maybe agree but after watching the interviews from the creative team of The Boys, they are not producing a center show. I love the show and I know what I am getting into but I am not going to full myself. They don't like the right.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

I thought it was an obvious correlation between Nazi's and conservatives, and to be honest, it's a tired trope that is starting to piss me off when I see it.

Yep, the Christians are homophobic Nazi's led by an immoral mass murdering rapist that manipulates his followers using social media with fake patriotism and fake religious posturing.

20. ziggysmalls Liked This Post