Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I'm not talking about the tour. If I had a house in Maui, one in Cabo, and another in Marin County, I also wouldn't want to go to Nowhereville, Nebraska (no disrespect). But he can record a full album without leaving his PJs.
    Little Dreamer

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

11.24.21 @ 03:25 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    The new song Sam played during the Dan Rather interview tells me Sam still has plenty of creative juices left. IT's something else, a mix of ego and also old habits he doesn't want to change. Satch has plenty of new music for CF, it's such a waste, argh!!!!
    I am not trying to disagree, but I think that was a special inspiration due to family activities. I am not sure that Sam gets that going too much anymore. Would love to be wrong, but I don't expect a lot of output from Sam here on out.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:

I'm not talking about the tour. If I had a house in Maui, one in Cabo, and another in Marin County, I also wouldn't want to go to Nowhereville, Nebraska (no disrespect). But he can record a full album without leaving his PJs.
    i don't think he enjoys the process anymore.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable100,000 VHL Life Points

Ha. Well, few bands wanna drop new music without touring behind it to pay for it. Sammy's said that much pretty clearly.

But yes, he could do it with minimum expense and effort for the fans.

Whether he WANTS to do it, is another thing, apparently.

Again, I still think he'd do it if Chad was fully on board with recording and touring, presuming it isn't a physical thing. He's gettin' old. As we all are.

But maybe it's something else, could be. I daresay he hasn't had a bust out record since CF's debut. Perhaps the receptions for CF III, SH and Friends, and Lite Roast has soured him a bit. I haven't listened to the new song, but everyone says it's promising.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 07:51 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Crowd-funding an album for established, successful, and wealthy artists to record an album that, once it's released, I will have to BUY?????

What fuckin planet am I on?

If Sammy doesn't want to record an album because he doesn't make enough of a return on it then......I'm sorry....I love the guy, but I'm sure as hell not going to fund it for him. Fuck that. And fuck him if that's the route they take for this.

I'll take my first two CF records and cherish them dearly. I don't need a new album if all of us have to listen to Sammy bitching about how much it costs and the fact he makes no $ during the lead up to it. I don't want a new album anymore, if we have to listen to this all the time.

Sorry for the rant. I'm fine.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

6. dibblekins, JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 09:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Crowd-funding an album for established, successful, and wealthy artists to record an album that, once it's released, I will have to BUY?????

What fuckin planet am I on?

If Sammy doesn't want to record an album because he doesn't make enough of a return on it then......I'm sorry....I love the guy, but I'm sure as hell not going to fund it for him. Fuck that. And fuck him if that's the route they take for this.

I'll take my first two CF records and cherish them dearly. I don't need a new album if all of us have to listen to Sammy bitching about how much it costs and the fact he makes no $ during the lead up to it. I don't want a new album anymore, if we have to listen to this all the time.

Sorry for the rant. I'm fine.
    Completely different wave length and financial status, but didn't the last Headstones album get launched with a similar campaign?
    I thought I read that somewhere... I DO like the latest tunes from theirs that I've heard on 94.9FM.

Haven't learned any of them yet, but we did cover a few of their older songs back in the day.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Big Bad Bill

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

04.25.21 @ 01:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Completely different wave length and financial status, but didn't the last Headstones album get launched with a similar campaign?
    I thought I read that somewhere... I DO like the latest tunes from theirs that I've heard on 94.9FM.

Haven't learned any of them yet, but we did cover a few of their older songs back in the day.
    Crowd funding can be quite cool and fun. Did that with Gary Cherone's last Hurtsmile album, one of the Spock's Beard records ("X"), and also Pat Badger's solo effort (all incredibly cool albums btw). Both gave the funders quite some treats way before the albums were finished in form of video footage (new and from the vault), sneak peaks into what was going down, Pat did a short movie that fit in with the recording process, Gary even replying once in a while directly to questions by the funders - and, depending on what you chipped in you not only received the album, but also autographs, memorabilia, personal meet and greets someplace, etc. etc.

But: those are artists that unfortunately for sure do not have the same financial backing as Sam does. So the only reason I would help Sam fund an album is if he would really throw in some neat stuff. Spock's Beard even wrote a song with all the funders' names built into the lyrics ("Their Names Escape Me"). Stuff like that could be interesting.

But otherwise, just to get Sam out of the beach chair (that he fully deserves, don't get me wrong) and away from the cocktail shaker, I really see no point in funding for him. Sorry.

Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    The day that I donate to help a guy worth hundreds of millions of dollars make a record when he owns his very own studio will be NEVER.
    Seriously. This blows my mind. Paying rich or semi rich dudes, to record new music just so I can get off...is....is...FUCKING RIDICULOUS!!

10. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

When you crowdfund a record, you don't need to buy it, you get a deluxe edition for free for having contributed in advance. At least that's what Marillion does in the UK.
    Little Dreamer

Big Bad Bill
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

11.19.21 @ 01:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

This is capitalism at its finest. I understand the comments about multi-millionaire Sam and people not wanting to fund an album that he could fund himself...however, if he and CF were to offer up that option and enough fans are willing to fund it, so be it. This is the world we live in in 2016. If there is a willing party, there is a price for EVERYTHING. Personally, I'm down with the crowd funding options for movies/albums if artists are willing. It gives fans what they want when they want it.
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster75,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

In almost every scenario I have seen, the album comes with a pledge of at least $20 or so, and sometimes that means mp3s before the release.

I used to think this way too. I think I even posted something on Facebook when I heard that Zach Braff was crowd-funding a movie. The first time I ever thought I would donate was when Adam Carolla was sued by patent trolls and he decided to take them on instead of settle. Every donation above $5 got something, but the real point was to raise money to stop patent trolls from siphoning funds from popular podcasts. So then I decided to donate to his movie, Road Hard, and I realized that you got something in return for your donations. For $10 you got a couple extras. Once you hit $30, you got extras and a hard copy of the movie. Some people even donated enough that they got a personal standup show at their house.

So when Alan Tudyk crowd-sourced his latest project, Con Man, my wife and I contributed in her father's name as he was a big fan of Firefly. He got early access to the series on Vimeo, a signed poster, a t-shirt, mp3s of episode commentary by Tudyk and Nathon Fillion, a copy of the Blu Ray, and his name in the credits. It was a $100 birthday present.

Point being there will be some cool perks you guys may be willing to pay for beyond just the music.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Sam is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

He owns his own studio.

No...fucking...way.

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster75,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

I don't know, I think you guys would read some of the perks and spend some money to do it. Most of these things include perks like, for $250, you get admission to a small, regional, backers only concert, usually something acoustic or done in their rehearsal space, hang out and talk with the band, plus a whole bunch of swag, the album, etc. For a $1000 you get to go to the concert and have diner with the band when they come back around on tour--usually limited to like 5 people. $5,000 the band will come to a party at your house. Plus there are a whole bunch of smaller packages where you get cool, exclusive stuff, like weekly singles of acoustic songs/covers, a special edition of the album, etc., etc.

I am guessing there are some Sam fans who would drop serious cash to have dinner, attend the concert, and go to the after party with Chickenfoot in Cabo. Sometimes those packages even include jamming with the band. Considering people are paying $2,500 just to have their picture taken on the GnR stage this tour, imagine getting to have dinner, drinks, and a concert at the rehearsal studio with Chickenfoot for that price AND it means they put out a new record.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 04.28.16 at 09:50 PM.